Obama orders new auto fuel standards

Why is this a bad thing?
The trucking industry said it’s willing to work with the administration but urged caution.
“Fuel is one of our industry’s largest expenses, so it makes sense that as an industry we would support proposals to use less of it,” said Bill Graves, president and CEO of the American Trucking Association. “However, we should make sure that new rules don’t conflict with safety or other environmental regulations, nor should they force specific types of technology onto the market before they are fully tested and ready.”

Read more: Obama orders up new mileage standards for big rigs - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
It is based on the following false assumptions:

That cleaner air and gas mileage are correlated in a linear fashion. (this would be an EPA program) More trucks carrying more loads will not improve air quality. Greater rail and barge usage would result in improved air quality because of greater MPG/ton but that is not being proposed. Switching to LNG as a fuel would also improve air quality but that too is not being proposed.

That net fuel imports have anything to do with US air quality (reread the link if you find that confusing.)

That the pollution to west coast air caused by Chinese pollution crossing the Pacific will or even can be affected significantly by EPA standards.

Is there a reason you're trying to change the subject?

It's entirely relevant.
Should the government be spending public money to be securing oil supplies for the country?
If they should keep out of enforcing consumption standards on vehicles, maybe they should also keep out of protecting oil shipping - let the market function as it will.

Otherwise your gas-guzzler is being subsidised by the government.

Why is this a bad thing?
The trucking industry said it’s willing to work with the administration but urged caution.
“Fuel is one of our industry’s largest expenses, so it makes sense that as an industry we would support proposals to use less of it,” said Bill Graves, president and CEO of the American Trucking Association. “However, we should make sure that new rules don’t conflict with safety or other environmental regulations, nor should they force specific types of technology onto the market before they are fully tested and ready.”

Read more: Obama orders up new mileage standards for big rigs - Washington Times

Why is it a good thing?

Why is this a bad thing?

Why is it a good thing?

I'm not sure I said it was.

Is there a reason you're trying to change the subject?

It's entirely relevant.
Should the government be spending public money to be securing oil supplies for the country?
If they should keep out of enforcing consumption standards on vehicles, maybe they should also keep out of protecting oil shipping - let the market function as it will.

Otherwise your gas-guzzler is being subsidised by the government.
I would certainly agree with you on this point if phased out so as not to create a political vacuum.

Why is this a bad thing?
Because you cannot legislate physics to co-operate with your wet dream. Auto makers know the value of offering better gas mileage. They are on it. They can only push technology so far, doubling gas milage in a brief time is insane. It could only come from someone with no clue.

The article says 10-20% reduction in consumption.
That isn't doubling.
Maybe maths has changed since I was at school - entirely possible I suppose.

How are they supposed to obtain that reduction? Magic wands? Unicorn farts?

Anyone that thinks that the freight industry wants trucks that get terrible gas mileage is dumb enough to run for president of the United States. If the technology existed for this type of improvement somebody would be rolling it out and making gobs of money. The fact that that is not happening is not proof that Obama is right.

Because you cannot legislate physics to co-operate with your wet dream. Auto makers know the value of offering better gas mileage. They are on it. They can only push technology so far, doubling gas milage in a brief time is insane. It could only come from someone with no clue.

That isn't doubling.

Anyone that thinks that the freight industry wants trucks that get terrible gas mileage is dumb enough to run for president of the United States. If the technology existed for this type of improvement somebody would be rolling it out and making gobs of money. The fact that that is not happening is not proof that Obama is right.

Technology and science.
No magic required.

That isn't doubling.

Technology and science.
No magic required.

I guess you missed the part where I pointed out that the technology does not fucking exist.

I'm not confused.

The government is interfering in yet another place where they have no constitutional role.

If I want to buy a car with a fuel swilling engine, and auto makers want to build them for me and others, that's nobody's business but ours.

It's astonishing how many people in the U.S.A. of all places have a problem understanding that simple concept called freedom.

Technology and science.
No magic required.

I guess you missed the part where I pointed out that the technology does not fucking exist.

Oh well, that's it then, might as well give up.

Technology and science.
No magic required.

Not at all, but it would be nice to pretend that the government can't wave a magic wand and fix everything, which is why I asked you for details about how Obama expects to double gas mileage in a decade. So far all you have done is pretend I am stupid for not understanding that the government is magic.

Last edited:

Not at all, but it would be nice to pretend that the government can't wave a magic wand and fix everything, which is why I asked you for details about how Obama expects to double gas mileage in a decade. So far all you have done is pretend I am stupid for not understanding that the government is magic.
No, so far I've pointed out that you're stupid for thinking that just because technology can't achieve something today, it never will.

I'm not confused.

The government is interfering in yet another place where they have no constitutional role.

If I want to buy a car with a fuel swilling engine, and auto makers want to build them for me and others, that's nobody's business but ours.

It's astonishing how many people in the U.S.A. of all places have a problem understanding that simple concept called freedom.
It is astounding how many people believe that they have the right to pursue their concept of freedom even though it may be harm everyone for all time to come in the future. Or who are so stupid as to not believe what the science is showing them in such obvious ways, because those who have financial benefit from NOT believing the science tell them to doubt it.
Haters of science amuse me. Stupid, but amusing.

Based on the Commerce Clause, this is not a really nefarious thing to do should the technology allow for it - but it's up to the Congress not the President.

Has anyone barking about there not being the technology currently actually researched if there will be waivers or extensions should the technology not come to fruition though?

Last edited:
Based on the Commerce Clause, this is not a really nefarious thing to do should the technology allow for it - but it's up to the Congress not the President.

Has anyone barking about there not being the technology currently actually researched if there will be waivers or extensions should the technology not come to fruition though?
The commerce clause was meant to keep states from erecting barriers to commerce between the several states, not to dictate to businesses what kind of products they will or won't offer.

The commerce clause was meant to keep states from erecting barriers to commerce between the several states, not to dictate to businesses what kind of products they will or won't offer.

Yes, and fuel being too expensive for trucking companies, whom according to the article are mostly on board with this, is a barrier between interstate commerce.

Forum List

Back