Obama spending binge never happened

Freaking hilarious. I get to see democrats claim that Obama is more fiscally responsible because he kept spending at slightly more than the insane levels Bush did. And I get to see republicans claim that Obama is horrible for that same reason, spending a little more than Bush did.

Bush and the accompanying congress were fucking morons for raising spending as much as they did.

Obama and the accompanying congress are fucking morons for keeping it at slightly elevated levels.

Congratulations you idiotic partisan hacks, you're both right. Now can we all shut the fuck up and do something about it?

Another liar who's too dumb to know the difference between discretionary and nondiscretionary spending. Keep living the lie.

Fact: Obama has added more debt than any administration in history.

Partisan lies will not alter this fact.

so stop telling partisan lies. :thup:

Everything I have seen for 3 years has been a lie?

All the profligate spending hasn't happened.... all the new programs are Republican ideas......? Obama had nothing to do with it? It was Boosh again???

Oh Paleez :eusa_hand:

Freaking hilarious. I get to see democrats claim that Obama is more fiscally responsible because he kept spending at slightly more than the insane levels Bush did. And I get to see republicans claim that Obama is horrible for that same reason, spending a little more than Bush did.

Bush and the accompanying congress were fucking morons for raising spending as much as they did.

Obama and the accompanying congress are fucking morons for keeping it at slightly elevated levels.

Congratulations you idiotic partisan hacks, you're both right. Now can we all shut the fuck up and do something about it?

:stupid:

Until Barack Obama took office in 2009, the United States had never spent more than 23.5% of GDP, with the exception of the World War II years of 1942-1946.

Here’s the Obama spending record:
– 25.2% of GDP in 2009

– 24.1% of GDP in 2010

– 24.1% of GDP in 2011

– 24.3% (estimates by the White House ) in 2012

What’s more, if Obama wins another term, spending—according to his own budget—would never drop below 22.3% of GDP. If that forecast is right, spending during Obama’s eight years in office would average 23.6% of GDP. That’s higher than any single previous non-war year.

Yet financial columnist Rex Nutting of MarketWatch tries to portray the president as being downright stingy in a piece entitled, stunningly, “Obama spending binge never happened”:

Of all the falsehoods told about President Barack Obama, the biggest whopper is the one about his reckless spending spree. As would-be president Mitt Romney tells it: “I will lead us out of this debt and spending inferno.” Almost everyone believes that Obama has presided over a massive increase in federal spending, an “inferno” of spending that threatens our jobs, our businesses and our children’s future. Even Democrats seem to think it’s true. Government spending under Obama, including his signature stimulus bill, is rising at a 1.4% annualized pace — slower than at any time in nearly 60 years.

And here’s the chart summarizing Nutting’s argument:
052312spending.jpg

As the chart indicates, Nutting arrives at that 1.4% number by assigning 2009—when spending surged nearly 20%—to George W. Bush: “The 2009 fiscal year, which Republicans count as part of Obama’s legacy, began four months before Obama moved into the White House. The major spending decisions in the 2009 fiscal year were made by George W. Bush and the previous Congress. Like a relief pitcher who comes into the game with the bases loaded, Obama came in with a budget in place that called for spending to increase by hundreds of billions of dollars in response to the worst economic and financial calamity in generations.”

Let me complete the metaphor for Nutting: “Then as those runners scored, Obama kept putting more on base.”

Obama chose not to reverse that elevated level of spending; thus he, along with congressional Democrats, are responsible for it. Only by establishing 2009 as the new baseline, something Republican budget hawks like Paul Ryan feared would happen, does Obama come off looking like a tightwad. Obama has turned a one-off surge in spending due to the Great Recession into his permanent New Normal through 2016 and beyond.

It’s as if one of my teenagers crashed our family minivan, and I had to buy a new one. And then, since I liked that new car smell so much, I decided to buy a new van every year for the rest of my life. I would indeed be a reckless spender.

Here is another way Nutting could have framed the spending issue:
052312spending2.jpg

The Obama spending record looks a little different now, yes?

Mark Levin

Another right wing lie debunked.

Commentary: Government outlays rising at slowest pace since 1950s

Of all the falsehoods told about President Barack Obama, the biggest whopper is the one about his reckless spending spree.

As would-be president Mitt Romney tells it: “I will lead us out of this debt and spending inferno.”

Almost everyone believes that Obama has presided over a massive increase in federal spending, an “inferno” of spending that threatens our jobs, our businesses and our children’s future. Even Democrats seem to think it’s true.

But it didn’t happen. Although there was a big stimulus bill under Obama, federal spending is rising at the slowest pace since Dwight Eisenhower brought the Korean War to an end in the 1950s.

MW-AR658_spendi_20120521163312_ME.jpg

Another fun use of stats.
Obama's first year was marked by massive spending. So he didnt have to add too much to an already bloated deficit. He started with very high levels of spending. Notice there is no measure of Bush's last year to Obama's first year.

No goal post is being moved. Obama's growth of the federal government is the lowest since the '50s. That's what the OP states, and that's what the fact is. But keep on lying.

FACT: Obama increased government spending from 35% to 43% of GDP. That is an 8% increase no matter how you liers try to spin it. It is also the largest amount of government spending since the great depression.

usgs_line.php

Liar. Obama has no control over nondiscretionary spending. Obama's growth of the Federal government is at the lowest rate since the 1950s.

Obama has just as much control over discretionary spending as he does non-discretionary spending. Obama exploded discretionary spending. The economy tanked with rapid deflation, so measuring spending in strictly dollar terms instead of percent of GDP is a lie. Obama exploded government spending as a percent of GDP by 8%.

Politifact agrees.

Viral Facebook post says Barack Obama has lowest spending record of any recent president

Our ruling

The Facebook post says Mitt Romney is wrong to claim that spending under Obama has "accelerated at a pace without precedent in recent history," because it's actually risen "slower than at any time in nearly 60 years."

Obama has indeed presided over the slowest growth in spending of any president using raw dollars, and it was the second-slowest if you adjust for inflation. The math simultaneously backs up Nutting’s calculations and demolishes Romney’s contention. The only significant shortcoming of the graphic is that it fails to note that some of the restraint in spending was fueled by demands from congressional Republicans. On balance, we rate the claim Mostly True.

Praise the Lord not everyone is as dumb as Ducky. Obama is banking on lots of Duckies being stupid, that's how he's spent his life, lying to those "beneath" him luring them with his Siren Song.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see the huge LIE about this (cough, cough) non-spending spree. Sorry Obamavider, not everyone is as dumb as those you organize. The American people know who you are now, well most of them anyway. :)

I give the Soviets full credit for turning their US Democrat Party into a collective of mindless drones. They can make any statement and the Collective will pick it up and repeat it without a single independent thought.

Well done, Vlad.

Well done

Simply amazing.. I was reading where Obama took this chart and is now running with it..

people please save from this idiot in November:eusa_pray:

Praise the Lord not everyone is as dumb as Ducky. Obama is banking on lots of Duckies being stupid, that's how he's spent his life, lying to those "beneath" him luring them with his Siren Song.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see the huge LIE about this (cough, cough) non-spending spree. Sorry Obamavider, not everyone is as dumb as those you organize. The American people know who you are now, well most of them anyway. :)

Now Politifact is lying too?

Of all the falsehoods told about President Barack Obama, the biggest whopper is the one about his reckless spending spree.

As would-be president Mitt Romney tells it: “I will lead us out of this debt and spending inferno.”

Almost everyone believes that Obama has presided over a massive increase in federal spending, an “inferno” of spending that threatens our jobs, our businesses and our children’s future. Even Democrats seem to think it’s true.

But it didn’t happen. Although there was a big stimulus bill under Obama, federal spending is rising at the slowest pace since Dwight Eisenhower brought the Korean War to an end in the 1950s.

Pay no attention to the 6 trillion that just happened to be added to the deficit in the last 3-1/2 years. It's just a figment of your imagination. I love the little thing at the bottom left that says "2009 stimulus reassigned to Obama, that right there tells you just how much bullshit the graph really is.

Last edited:

Pay no attention to the 6 trillion that just happened to be added to the deficit in the last 3-1/2 years. It's just a figment of your imagination. I love the little thing at the bottom left that says "2009 stimulus reassigned to Obama, that right there tells you just how much bullshit the graph really is.

How much of that so-called 6 trillion is the direct result of the revenue stream going South, due to the Bush economic failure?

He cant run on his record, so I guess this years campaign will be run on graphs with information manipulated to make everything all rosey, I'm surprised there are no pictures of gum drops and rivers of chocolate on them as well.

I give the Soviets full credit for turning their US Democrat Party into a collective of mindless drones. They can make any statement and the Collective will pick it up and repeat it without a single independent thought.

Well done, Vlad.

Well done

PolitiFact | Viral Facebook post says Barack Obama has lowest spending record of any recent president

Annual Deficits that have to be expressed in scientific notation and $6T in new debt say you're wrong

How much of that so-called 6 trillion is the direct result of the revenue stream going South, due to the Bush economic failure?

BOOOOOOSHHHHHH!!!!

Haha, you guys own this shit, you've had the senate since 2006 and the white house and house from 2008 to 2010, it is now 2012. You own it, the people know it. Bush has no part in this and has not since 2008.

Well done, Vlad.

Well done

PolitiFact | Viral Facebook post says Barack Obama has lowest spending record of any recent president

Annual Deficits that have to be expressed in scientific notation and $6T in new debt say you're wrong

It has nothing to do with the fact that Obama expanded government less than any other post WWII President.

Forum List

Back