Obama team thought Iran...

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I know I should offer commentary, but this is so stupid it trumps anything I could say about it.

Iran is enduring economic sanctions designed to slow the country's nuclear weapons program, but President Obama's team thought the regime might abandon dictator Bashar Assad over his use of chemical weapons in Syria's civil war.
Samantha Power, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, hoped that a team of UN investigators — many of whom, presumably, have a longstanding relationship with Iranian leaders -- could write a report that would convince Iran to abandon its ally at the behest of the United States.
"We worked with the UN to create a group of inspectors and then worked for more than six months to get them access to the country on the logic that perhaps the presence of an investigative team in the country might deter future attacks," Power said at the Center for American Progress as she made the case for intervening in Syria.
"Or, if not, at a minimum, we thought perhaps a shared evidentiary base could convince Russia or Iran — itself a victim of Saddam Hussein's monstrous chemical weapons attacks in 1987-1988 — to cast loose a regime that was gassing it's people," she said.

Obama team thought Iran would not tolerate Bashar Assad's use of WMDs | WashingtonExaminer.com

And she really thinks Iran will listen to such a feckless administration? Well I've got news for her. They are just as bad as Assad, with Ahmadinejad performing a brutal crackdown on his own people in 2009. It goes to show you can't make presumptions. They could wind up getting you killed.

Ok they hoped something might happen..it didnt...oh well...not really dumb.

I know I should offer commentary, but this is so stupid it trumps anything I could say about it.

Iran is enduring economic sanctions designed to slow the country's nuclear weapons program, but President Obama's team thought the regime might abandon dictator Bashar Assad over his use of chemical weapons in Syria's civil war.
Samantha Power, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, hoped that a team of UN investigators — many of whom, presumably, have a longstanding relationship with Iranian leaders -- could write a report that would convince Iran to abandon its ally at the behest of the United States.
"We worked with the UN to create a group of inspectors and then worked for more than six months to get them access to the country on the logic that perhaps the presence of an investigative team in the country might deter future attacks," Power said at the Center for American Progress as she made the case for intervening in Syria.
"Or, if not, at a minimum, we thought perhaps a shared evidentiary base could convince Russia or Iran — itself a victim of Saddam Hussein's monstrous chemical weapons attacks in 1987-1988 — to cast loose a regime that was gassing it's people," she said.
Obama team thought Iran would not tolerate Bashar Assad's use of WMDs | WashingtonExaminer.com

Kennedy made this same mistake in Vietnam...surrounding himself with academics who had no real understanding of real world situations and variables.

Anyone read Doyle?

“Everything comes in circles... The old wheel turns, and the same spoke comes up. It's all been done before, and will be again.”

Ok they hoped something might happen..it didnt...oh well...not really dumb.

They hoped Iran might suddenly decide to play along with Obama? What did they base that hope on? What evidence do they have that Iran even wants to talk to the US, and why would they give up their only ally in the region?

One more thing, do you take the same stupid pills they do, or do you get yours from another source?

Forum List

Back