Obama Warns GOP About Blocking Gun Bill

Well, Cho, the VATech shooter, and a few other mass murderers all passed background checks to get their guns. Lanza probably would have, had he bothered to wait the 14 days required.
Guns bought on the internet also require background checks anyway.
So remind me how background checks would have prevented any of these tragedies?

Looks like we need tougher requirements doesn't it?

Anybody who met Cho said he is batshit crazy......Same with Laughner.....Same with Lanza

Why do we allow them to walk into any gun shop and buy guns?

And who gets to decide who is "batshit crazy?" If its the government, and you have gun grabbing assholes in your area, they can say "everyone but the police is crazy, no guns for you!!!"

The only way to deny anyone ANY right is via the court system and due process, that includes removing rights due to mental issues.

Anything else is tyranny.

A bartender can look at a patron and say.....You are drunk, I am not going to serve you. Anyone who met Cho or Laughner or Lanza would say....This guy is not right. Why can't a gun shop owner be as responsible as a bartender?

Why is it so fucking easy for crazy people to buy guns?

It is not the criminals that are shooting up our schools, malls, and theaters, it is the crazies. And, yes, background checks could well prevent many of them from having guns. Also making it illegal to buy guns and ammo off the net. And if background checks slow down the sales of weapons, all the better. We have far too many guns on the street as it stands.

Well, Cho, the VATech shooter, and a few other mass murderers all passed background checks to get their guns. Lanza probably would have, had he bothered to wait the 14 days required.

Anybody who met Cho said he is batshit crazy......Same with Laughner.....Same with Lanza

What would you propose? I think you're batshit crazy. You shouldn't own a gun. Or a car. Or a sharp object. Or a computer.

And who gets to decide who is "batshit crazy?" If its the government, and you have gun grabbing assholes in your area, they can say "everyone but the police is crazy, no guns for you!!!"

The only way to deny anyone ANY right is via the court system and due process, that includes removing rights due to mental issues.

A bartender can look at a patron and say.....You are drunk, I am not going to serve you. Anyone who met Cho or Laughner or Lanza would say....This guy is not right. Why can't a gun shop owner be as responsible as a bartender?

Did you ever meet Cho or Lanza?
Lanza didnt buy his guns anyway, remember? He stole them. We see what background checks prevented.

Show me a consitutional right to be drunk. Also a gun shop owner, as a buisinessman can always refuse to sell (unless its discriminitory, thats from you progressives, remember that). What can't happen is the government cannot ban you from owning firearms without due process, just like it cannot deny any other right without due process. Some bean-counter making a decsion if you can buy a gun or not is NOT due process.

What would you propose? I think you're batshit crazy. You shouldn't own a gun. Or a car. Or a sharp object. Or a computer.

Background checks

I propose that mental health providers be required to share more information about potentially dangerous patients. If you are on an anti-psychotic drug you should be restricted from purchasing weapons so that you do not hurt yourself or other people

We ban people from driving who are on certain drugs....why not ban them from buying guns?

Background checks

I propose that mental health providers be required to share more information about potentially dangerous patients. If you are on an anti-psychotic drug you should be restricted from purchasing weapons so that you do not hurt yourself or other people

We ban people from driving who are on certain drugs....why not ban them from buying guns?

Get that by HIPPA and we'll see how it does.

Show me a consitutional right to be drunk. Also a gun shop owner, as a buisinessman can always refuse to sell (unless its discriminitory, thats from you progressives, remember that). What can't happen is the government cannot ban you from owning firearms without due process, just like it cannot deny any other right without due process. Some bean-counter making a decsion if you can buy a gun or not is NOT due process.

Criminals and crazy people do not have a Constitutional right to buy guns

Criminals and crazy people do not have a Constitutional right to buy guns

Felons and people Judicially determined to be mentally incompetent do not have a right to firearms. Your terms are far to non-specific.

Background checks

And then we'll have less people taking antipsychotics who really need them . Great plan.

Lets take it further....

Forget about the homicidal maniacs buying guns. Lets look at suicide

Guns are the weapon of choice for those comitting suicide. People with severe depression who are on medication should not be out buying guns

Background checks

And then we'll have less people taking antipsychotics who really need them . Great plan.

Your doctor should be reporting you whether you are taking the drug or not

Lets take it further....

Guns are the weapon of choice for those comitting suicide. People with severe depression who are on medication should not be out buying guns

Not until a court determines they are a threat to themselves, and said court issues an order that thier right to bear arms can be curtailed.

Also, where is your data that shows guns as the weapon of choice for suicide?

Why not vote on it and see where everyone stands?

Because it is a guaranteed right under the constitution. Just like I would NOT support a vote on whether or not we can have free speech. Or freedom of religion. I absolutely DETEST the Westboro Baptist Church and what they say. But as hateful and as ignorant as it is, they have a right to say it. They go to soldiers funerals for one reason and for one reason only. To make themselves heard by saying the most disgustful and hateful things they can think of. It makes no difference to them that the premise of their speech is the most ignorant and psychotic imaginable. The Nazi's went to Skokie, IL for the same reason. The KKK demonstrates for the same reason as does Occupy Wall Street. The basis of their speech is ridiculous to those with even half a brain, but they have a right to say it.

If you believe that God has granted man certain inalienable rights, then only God can take those rights. I whole heartedly support my senators (Jim Inhofe and Jim Coburn) tactics to fillibuster this legislation that is based on emotion and 'feel good' intentions and have communicated that support to them. It is not the weapons that are the problem and it has never been the weapons. It will NOT stop bad people from doing bad things. Only those who obey the laws will suffer.

In 1960, Montgomery Wards, Sears and JC Pennys mailed out catalogues across the country. Several pages within those catalogues offered rifles. Some were semi-automatic. You can even find where they offered the M-1 carbine (the same one carried by the GI's in WWII) as surplus. You could buy one of those weapons by mail if you sent in your money and filled out the order blank. No proof of age or circumstances were required. Yet no one walked into work and murdered a bunch of coworkers or walked into a school and shot a bunch of first and second graders.

What has changed? Did the evolution of the weapons change the circumstances or has it been the literal destruction of the moral fiber of this nation? In 1960 if you walked the street and screamed at passerby's, chances are you were taken to a state hospital for treatment where they kept you whether you liked it or not. Thanks to the ACLU, those type of mentally disturbed individuals walk freely about because there are no more state hospitals. Now, the chance that they can get access to weapons is greater because of their freedom.

I have weapons. Some of them are the EXACT types that are targeted by this legislation. These laws will hurt my activities, not those who would use weapons unlawfully. Fix what was broken and you will fix the issue (mental health).

Last edited:
Lets take it further....

Two people I koew committed suicide. One ran her car in the closed garage, the other OD'd on Tylenol and aspirin. Maybe we should make those restricted too.

Background checks

Your doctor should be reporting you whether you are taking the drug or not

So basically through doctor-paitent privilidge right out the window, right?

Would you have the same done to people with HIV? They are after all, threats to those they have sex with...

Facist.

Lets take it further....

And then will have less people taking drugs for depression who need them You don't seem to think of cause and effect. All you seem to be concerned with is liberal good intentions.

background checks

i propose that mental health providers be required to share more information about potentially dangerous patients. If you are on an anti-psychotic drug you should be restricted from purchasing weapons so that you do not hurt yourself or other people

we ban people from driving who are on certain drugs....why not ban them from buying guns?

and then we'll have less people taking antipsychotics who really need them . Great plan.

your doctor should be reporting you whether you are taking the drug or not

hipaa http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/

and then we'll have less people taking antipsychotics who really need them . Great plan.

your doctor should be reporting you whether you are taking the drug or not

hipaa Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule

Laws need to be changed

The large number of suicides and mass killings shows us that. Crazy people and guns are not a good mix

If you are taking certain medications they will pull your drivers license....why can't we stop you from buying a gun?

Lets take it further....

And then will have less people taking drugs for depression who need them You don't seem to think of cause and effect. All you seem to be concerned with is liberal good intentions.

We already pull their drivers license.....why not their guns?

Forum List

Back