Obama weighs expanding background checks through executive authority

In response to the latest mass shooting during his presidency, President Obama is seriously considering circumventing Congress with his executive authority and imposing new background-check requirements for buyers who purchase weapons from high-volume gun dealers.

Under the proposed rule change, dealers who exceed a certain number of sales each year would be required to obtain a license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and perform background checks on potential buyers.

Short version:
If you are a private person and sell 50 guns a year, the Obama wants to force you to get a FFL.

Problem is, the law is very clear on this, and this EO runs contrary to that law.

Further., this EO cannot be enforced except through universal registration of guns.

Why is it that anti-gun loons keep pushing for things that can only be enforced thru universal registration of guns?
I don't know why he's announcing this.

He already expanded background checks, unannounced, after Sandyhook.

Maybe he's expanded them as far as can legally. Now he's trying to expand them illegally.

If it helps to lessen the number of guns in circulation then that's a good thing. It is far too easy for criminals to get guns in this country.
Funny that you think The Obama's EO will have any effect on either.
Then I guess you shouldn't care.
Says he who blindly accepts any any all idea for further gun control as a "good thing".
Considering there might be as many as 400 million guns in this country, and nobody has any idea where most of them are, I'd say probably yes that most gun control measures are a good thing.
400,000,000 guns in the US
8142 gun related murders (2014)
99.99797% of the guns in the US are not involved in a murder.
That is, for every gun used in a murder, more that 49,000 are not.
Your position holds no water.

Even better

A bullet only takes a fraction of a second to blow someones brains out. Considering there are sixty seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in an hour, 24 hours a day and 365 days in a year, a gun only spends a small fraction of the time blowing someones brains out. The rest of the time, it is perfectly safe

In response to the latest mass shooting during his presidency, President Obama is seriously considering circumventing Congress with his executive authority and imposing new background-check requirements for buyers who purchase weapons from high-volume gun dealers.

Under the proposed rule change, dealers who exceed a certain number of sales each year would be required to obtain a license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and perform background checks on potential buyers.

Short version:
If you are a private person and sell 50 guns a year, the Obama wants to force you to get a FFL.

Problem is, the law is very clear on this, and this EO runs contrary to that law.

Further., this EO cannot be enforced except through universal registration of guns.

Why is it that anti-gun loons keep pushing for things that can only be enforced thru universal registration of guns?
Key word, LOONS!

If it helps to lessen the number of guns in circulation then that's a good thing. It is far too easy for criminals to get guns in this country.
Funny that you think The Obama's EO will have any effect on either.
Then I guess you shouldn't care.
Says he who blindly accepts any any all idea for further gun control as a "good thing".
Considering there might be as many as 400 million guns in this country, and nobody has any idea where most of them are, I'd say probably yes that most gun control measures are a good thing.
Hitler thought so also.

ColeJ20151009_low.jpg

someone throw his executive authority pen in the garbage

Obama needs to stop playing Caesar

Forum List

Back