Obama Will Appoint USSC Justice As Recess Appointment

Your headline says Oblama will appoint, then the main body of the OP says he coould..Which is it?
And Obama himself states he is not even considering it.

We know which one it is - this is nothing more than a pipe dream for those that do not want Trump and the Republicans appointing SCOTUS judges. They are still in the denial phase.
They also do not know the law Congress must be in recess for a minimum of 10 days for recess appointments to happen.
No shit Sherlock...Yet the GOP has made sure to tie down the definition of a recess when they leave a Congressional member there during breaks..I am sure the Dems will do the same..
No, the GOP did nothing of the sort. The SCOTUS ties down the meaning of the word recess when Obama tried to blatantly abuse the power as an end run around congress.

Your headline says Oblama will appoint, then the main body of the OP says he coould..Which is it?

We know which one it is - this is nothing more than a pipe dream for those that do not want Trump and the Republicans appointing SCOTUS judges. They are still in the denial phase.
They also do not know the law Congress must be in recess for a minimum of 10 days for recess appointments to happen.
No shit Sherlock...Yet the GOP has made sure to tie down the definition of a recess when they leave a Congressional member there during breaks..I am sure the Dems will do the same..
No, the GOP did nothing of the sort. The SCOTUS ties down the meaning of the word recess when Obama tried to blatantly abuse the power as an end run around congress.
By having roll called everyday that Congress is in recess, means that a recess is for those not in attendance and no appointments by a president can be made...

By having roll called everyday that Congress is in recess, means that a recess is for those not in attendance and no appointments by a president can be made...
A recess occurs when both houses agree one will occur and the controlling party makes that call, what happens after a real recess is called does not matter as the Congress is in recess.

A recess occurs when both houses agree one will occur and the controlling party makes that call, what happens after a real recess is called does not matter as the Congress is in recess.
When most Republican senators head home for the Easter break, or spend the week in Cleveland for the party convention in July, or return to their home districts in October for election season, at least one lonely soul will stay behind to turn the lights on in the Senate chamber.

Even though the White House has already ruled out a recess appointment to replace the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, GOP leaders aren't taking any chances.

"I and many of my Republican colleagues have already agreed to be in Washington every three days for the rest of this year to gavel in this body in pro forma session so that this president cannot put in a recess appointment judge," Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., made clear in a floor speech Wednesday.

- See more at: No Rest, or Recess, for Senate This Year

You got it backwards...

The only person who got screwed is President Obama, with not getting his constitutional pick of this supreme court justice vacancy from a year ago...even vetted by the Senate.
Yes, but the country didn't get screwed.

Thanks, Republican Senate, you did the right thing for once.

And?

That does not mean that they 'tied down the meaning of recess' - the SCOTUS did that. The GOP used the rules to block Obama from getting around congress by waiting for recesses to appoint people that the congress would not confirm.

In all honesty, the recess appointment should be done away with entirely - it exists to fill vacancies in a world without instant communication and computers.

What a shock Easy started another thread that turned out to be a lie.
Hardly - it is a possibility, not a lie. I understand you are unable to tell what is a lie and what is not, though - after all, you did buy that whole 'If you like your plan you can keep your plan' BS Barry threw out there. :p

That your best false narrative / shot at trying to discredit me? Pathetic. :p

What a shock Easy started another thread that turned out to be a lie.
Hardly - it is a possibility, not a lie. I understand you are unable to tell what is a lie and what is not, though - after all, you did buy that whole 'If you like your plan you can keep your plan' BS Barry threw out there. :p

That your best false narrative / shot at trying to discredit me? Pathetic. :p
Except that your title states a know action..Which is not correct..

Except that your title states a know action..Which is not correct..
Not yet...

In advertising, this is called an 'attention getter' - it succeeded. Here you are posting in the thread. :p

You got it backwards...

The only person who got screwed is President Obama, with not getting his constitutional pick of this supreme court justice vacancy from a year ago...even vetted by the Senate.
how exactly?

Good.

Because that appointment would last only until Trump appointed his own Justice and got him/her confirmed. Then Garland would not be able to return to the Appeals Court, which means Trump would be able to appoint someone else to that seat.

Go for it Obama.
No, they are appointed for life....
I don't think so as explained earlier in the thread.

from wikipedia:

"A recess appointment is the appointment, by the President of the United States, of a senior federal official while the U.S. Senate is in recess. The United States Constitution requires that the most senior federal officers must be confirmed by the Senate before assuming office, but while the Senate is in recess the President may act alone by making a recess appointment to fill "Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate." To remain in effect, a recess appointment must be approved by the Senate by the end of the next session of Congress"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back