Obama willing to go "more than half-way" on Florida and Michigan

You're absolutely right, the vote was not by any means fair, for any candidate. But since the DNC has refused to pay for revotes (and the Obama camp, unlike Clinton, hasn't offered to help raise money for one), the only option we have is to count the votes that were cast. Period.

No, the other option is not to count the votes, or to give a 50% delegate count that won't effect the outcome of the nomination process, which is what they will probably do.

I don't understand your reasoning. You say that because the vote wasn't fair, it must be counted?

You're right, it's an option that will upset millions of voters in both state and likely hand two large electoral states to the Republicans in November. Novel idea. :rolleyes:

Florida seems headed for McCain, but Michigan is still essentially neck and neck, with several months to the election. I don't think anything has necessarily been handed to anyone.

You're right, it's an option that will upset millions of voters in both state and likely hand two large electoral states to the Republicans in November. Novel idea. :rolleyes:

Count them all and throw the election to Hillary and you upset millions of other voters the Dems need and throw the election to McCain. Not a good idea either. They've painted themselves into a corner.

It could, but I don't see the DNC letting it happen. If the unpledged delegates throw the election to the white candidate, regardless of what you want to argue about how close they are in popular vote or whatever, the Dems are going to do serious damage to their relationship with a constituency they need to win. I think the DNC is probably going to do anything it can to ensure that doesn't happen.

I could be wrong, however.

The racial undertones of this election are really, really annoying.

No, the other option is not to count the votes, or to give a 50% delegate count that won't effect the outcome of the nomination process, which is what they will probably do.

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't know what's worse: not counting the votes at all, or not counting the votes the way they were cast. Either way goes against the will of voters in both states.

I don't understand your reasoning. You say that because the vote wasn't fair, it must be counted?

No, my reasoning is since it's the only vote that we have to go by, it's the vote that should count.

Yeah, that's the problem. There's no way to tell how the votes would have gone if the DNC hadn't ruled the votes wouldn't be counted. There's no way to tell how many people stayed home and who they would have voted for.

In Florida, 1,700,000 came out to vote in the Democratic Primary...it broke ALL RECORDS or previous primaries, the largest previously 1.200,000...

They broke that record by more than +45% in turn out this time....

Certainly near everyone that was GOING to end up voting, voted.

Sure there are people that are registered that may not have voted, but no moreso than any other election where registered voters CHOOSE not to vote...

This should NEVER be held AGAINST the people who did take their responsibility of voting seriously and went to the polls to cast their votes.

Care

Certainly near everyone that was GOING to end up voting, voted.

I don't think you can say that's "certain" at all. Just showing a record turnout isn't hard evidence of this assertion. Florida has something like 10 million registered voters.

It could, but I don't see the DNC letting it happen. If the unpledged delegates throw the election to the white candidate, regardless of what you want to argue about how close they are in popular vote or whatever, the Dems are going to do serious damage to their relationship with a constituency they need to win. I think the DNC is probably going to do anything it can to ensure that doesn't happen.

I could be wrong, however.

A constituency they need to win? Blacks will vote Democratic, I think that's a safe assumption, or they won't vote at all. If Obama wins the nomination, do you realize how many voters in Southern states (and many other states) will go to the polls just to keep a black man out of office? Trust me: a lot.

Racial undertones do suck, but they're life. We have to deal with them, and they don't bode well in Obama's favor.

I don't think you can say that's "certain" at all. Just showing a record turnout isn't hard evidence of this assertion. Florida has something like 10 million registered voters.

Except that in 2000 about 500,000 voted in the primary. In 2004, about 750,000 did. And this time it was about 1,750,000.

Just Dems, mind you.

Similar problems in Michigan.

What bemuses me is that I don't think Obama supporters really care anymore if the Dems win. Otherwise they'd be considering the fact that Clinton is the more likely winner against McCain.

I support Obama, but I wouldn't vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination. I'm not going to vote Dem just to vote Dem. Your assumption is that everyone who supports Obama would have Hillary as their second choice, and therefore they should do what is best for the party and just support her as the stronger candidate.

A constituency they need to win? Blacks will vote Democratic, I think that's a safe assumption, or they won't vote at all. If Obama wins the nomination, do you realize how many voters in Southern states (and many other states) will go to the polls just to keep a black man out of office? Trust me: a lot.

A lot of them have been saying they won't vote at all. In swing States that could kill the Dems and throw the election to the GOP.

That is what I meant, but the margin isn't that large, and there is still plenty of time before the general election.

You're right, so realistically, McCain's lead over Obama could increase, or Obama could jump ahead, or Clinton could increase her lead over McCain, or McCain could jump ahead.

But we don't know what could happen, so isn't it smarter to go with the safer bet? If Clinton's already ahead, isn't it more likely that she's got a better chance to increase or maintain her lead than it is for Obama to make up an approximately 9% deficit?

Plus, there's also the idea that a lot of people say McCain over Clinton in that election just because they assume she's not going to win anyway.

Except that in 2000 about 500,000 voted in the primary. In 2004, about 750,000 did. And this time it was about 1,750,000.

Just Dems, mind you.

Yes, but this has been a different election everywhere in terms of turnout. You'd get a better idea of things if you compared the % turnout in MI and FL to other States.

I support Obama, but I wouldn't vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination. I'm not going to vote Dem just to vote Dem. Your assumption is that everyone who supports Obama would have Hillary as their second choice, and therefore they should do what is best for the party and just support her as the stronger candidate.

You aren't a typical Dem then. I wouldn't say all of Obama's supporters, but most of them.

Similar problems in Michigan.

What bemuses me is that I don't think Obama supporters really care anymore if the Dems win. Otherwise they'd be considering the fact that Clinton is the more likely winner against McCain.

Many of us aren't convinced that Clinton is the stronger candidate. However, before you start suggesting that Obama supporters aren't interested in winning, you should ask yourself who here has considered not voting if their candidate is not the nominee.

Uh..huh. Oh yes I did just did that. Snap! Can you take it?!

But we don't know what could happen, so isn't it smarter to go with the safer bet? If Clinton's already ahead, isn't it more likely that she's got a better chance to increase or maintain her lead than it is for Obama to make up an approximately 9% deficit?

The only problem with that argument is that means a few months ago it would have been smarter to dump Hillary and go with Obama. It's fluid.

Forum List

Back