Obama Won't Attend Gettysburg Address Remembrance

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
Obama won't attend Gettysburg Address remembrance

GETTYSBURG, Pa. — President Barack Obama will not attend next month's event marking the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in Pennsylvania, national park officials said.

U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell will instead represent the administration the Nov. 19 sesquicentennial, officials at Gettysburg National Military Park said Wednesday.

Jewell and historian James McPherson will share the role of keynote speaker. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett also plans to attend the ceremony.

McPherson, a top Civil War historian who won the Pulitzer for "Battle Cry of Freedom," said he was surprised by Obama's decision.

"I thought he would probably come. He identifies with Lincoln and knows a great deal about him," McPherson said in an interview. "It might have been an opportunity for him to say something important, maybe enhance a tarnished image. He's going through a rough patch right now."

Lincoln delivered the immortal words of the address at a dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery on Nov. 19, 1863, more than four months after the Civil War's pivotal battle. More than 3,500 Union soldiers killed in the Battle of Gettysburg are buried there.

Other events scheduled for the commemoration include a reading of the Gettysburg Address by a Lincoln portrayer

Obama won't attend Gettysburg Address remembrance

GETTYSBURG, Pa. — President Barack Obama will not attend next month's event marking the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in Pennsylvania, national park officials said.

U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell will instead represent the administration the Nov. 19 sesquicentennial, officials at Gettysburg National Military Park said Wednesday.

Jewell and historian James McPherson will share the role of keynote speaker. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett also plans to attend the ceremony.

McPherson, a top Civil War historian who won the Pulitzer for "Battle Cry of Freedom," said he was surprised by Obama's decision.

"I thought he would probably come. He identifies with Lincoln and knows a great deal about him," McPherson said in an interview. "It might have been an opportunity for him to say something important, maybe enhance a tarnished image. He's going through a rough patch right now."

Lincoln delivered the immortal words of the address at a dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery on Nov. 19, 1863, more than four months after the Civil War's pivotal battle. More than 3,500 Union soldiers killed in the Battle of Gettysburg are buried there.

Other events scheduled for the commemoration include a reading of the Gettysburg Address by a Lincoln portrayer

no one really expected him to come

he likened himself to abe

when it would buy him a few votes

he also likened himself

to JFK

R Reagan

--LOL

Imagine the outrage from the right if he was attending

It doesn't appear that the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address is a major national event. I don't see much buzz on it

we true American patriots know the importance of this event, we all should thank GOD it will not be tarnished by an illegal alien mulatto muslime who was born in Kenya, Africa.

the usurper has no roots in America, therefore he could care less about our nations history, even a low information voter has more patriotic roots here than the mulatto muslime.

we true American patriots know the importance of this event, we all should thank GOD it will not be tarnished by an illegal alien mulatto muslime who was born in Kenya, Africa.

the usurper has no roots in America, therefore he could care less about our nations history, even a low information voter has more patriotic roots here than the mulatto muslime.

I was at the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. That was the time to commemorate the great battle. Not a speech dedicating a cemetery for that battle. It was an historic speech but the time to honor the dead from that battle was July 1-3

Last edited:
It doesn't appear that the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address is a major national event. I don't see much buzz on it
True...... I doubt the average under 30 American citizen even knows anything about Gettysburg Address or the events that took place there. . :cool:
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]"The Gettysburg speech was at once the shortest and the most famous oration in American history...the highest emotion reduced to a few poetical phrases. Lincoln himself never even remotely approached it. It is genuinely stupendous. But let us not forget that it is poetry, not logic; beauty, not sense. Think of the argument in it. Put it into the cold words of everyday. The doctrine is simply this: that the Union soldiers who died at Gettysburg sacrificed their lives to the cause of self-determination – that government of the people, by the people, for the people, should not perish from the earth. It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in the battle actually fought against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of their people to govern themselves." H. L. Mencken[/FONT]

Then you are going, right?

Certainly not as important an event as the Kardashian's latest stupidity or who's on Dancing with the Stars.

Th media has their priorities.

True...... I doubt the average under 30 American citizen even knows anything about Gettysburg Address or the events that took place there. . :cool:

TRUE.., thanks to a liberal/.gov education system.., actually an indoctrination program that started back in the early 1960's, that is why we now have so many liberal mush brained politicians and their flock of sheeple :up:

if the current education system reverted to an education system like we had during the early years of this countries existents up to the early 1960's, there would be many, many more educated conservative citizens rather than the liberal commie who just gave me over 2,000 negative points.., like it's going to change my life in any way. :lmao: ... :lmao: ... :lmao: ... :lmao: ... :lmao: ... :lmao: ... :lmao: ... :lmao:

if the current education system reverted to an education system like we had during the early years of this countries existents up to the early 1960's, there would be many, many more educated conservative citizens rather than the liberal commie who just gave me over 2,000 negative points.., like it's going to change my life in any way.
I was happy gave you those neg rep's....... enjoy. . :eusa_angel:

btw If you think I am a liberal than you obviously haven't read many of my posts on the board. . :cool:

Forum List

Back