🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Obamacare sticker shock

there is no max out of pocket - there is everything to pay.
silver plan is not even near to what I have now. near would be platinum.

This pretty much confirms that you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

The ACA law includes limits on maximum out-of-pocket costs at various levels of insurance sold on the exchanges.

I think that out of pocket deal has been suspended till 2015....?

Yet Another White House Obamacare Delay: Out-Of-Pocket Caps Waived Until 2015 - Forbes

It's been delayed for some employer-provided insurance plans, but not for the plans on the exchanges.

That's for a "Bronze" plan. I thought you said you were above "Platinum" level.

"Platinum" level plans have NO deducible, usually.

that is a silver 70 - there is no platinum level if you go past those subsidized types.
there are only 2 types provided past subsidized ones

Close the pop-up box, and click the button at the top labelled "Gold/Platinum" plans.

I did - the monthly is 962 which is almost 1000 plus a co-pay of everything, and 10% of everything , like hospital stay

Gee, that's great. A family of 2 makes $65K. Total monthly premiums are $9.6K, and Max out of pocket is $12.7K, for a total of $22.3K, or more than 30% of their income.

How Hopey Changey is THAT?

If you spend 22.3k in a year on your insurance obligations, how much do you think the total bills would be had you been uninsured?

Did you know that those out if pocket expenses are tax deductible?

Finally......the premiums are not based on income. They are based on Adjusted Gross Income.

It's a ONE SIZE FITS ALL PLAN which forces most people to pay premiums for things they will never use.

A couple making $65K with no children doesn't need pre-natal and maternity care if they do not plan to have children. If they are relatively healthy, a bare bones catastrophic care plan would make much more sense and USED to cost a fraction of the $22K+ they how face.

That is how insurance works. It is how it has always worked. Obamacare did not invent insurance pools.

I have to add, an acquaintance of mine, said he went on the the cali state exchange. he wanted coverage as close to what he has now, his wife works at a broker and hes a buyer for trader Joe. She has full Kaiser, right now he has,( soon to be gone) , anthem blue cross plus(?)..... (its gone becasue they are cutting his hours but thats not the point for now).

he says, now this is him talking, ok(?), he swore to me he went on the state exchange, and for the platinum plan, which is very close to what they have now, to cover them both would be....$1800.00.....I asked him 3 times, he said yes thats what it said, $1800.00. He says out of pocket now collectively they pay $425.00......

Edit- he did say trader joe was giving him a 1 time payment of 500 bucks......

In all seriousness, I just don't beleive it. I kept asking him if he was sure, he said yes....all 3 times, I have to say, I simply cannot beleive that...he has to be wrong. Thats not even remotely sane.

Dies anyone have a comment or can shed light on this? I tried to get in, got booted twice....I'm on my shitty iPad so......

I just cannot believe his premium if true .....:doubt:

Gee, that's great. A family of 2 makes $65K. Total monthly premiums are $9.6K, and Max out of pocket is $12.7K, for a total of $22.3K, or more than 30% of their income.

If you spend 22.3k in a year on your insurance obligations, how much do you think the total bills would be had you been uninsured?

Finally......the premiums are not based on income. They are based on Adjusted Gross Income.

It's a ONE SIZE FITS ALL PLAN which forces most people to pay premiums for things they will never use.

A couple making $65K with no children doesn't need pre-natal and maternity care if they do not plan to have children. If they are relatively healthy, a bare bones catastrophic care plan would make much more sense and USED to cost a fraction of the $22K+ they how face.

It's not a "one size fits all" plan. From what I can see, there are 6 different "Bronze" plans, 8 different "Silver" plans, 5 different "Gold" plans, and 3 different "Platinum" plans available to my hypothetical person.

yeah, but who will pay for all those illegals having hordes of anchor baabies? ;)

This pretty much confirms that you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

The ACA law includes limits on maximum out-of-pocket costs at various levels of insurance sold on the exchanges.

I think that out of pocket deal has been suspended till 2015....?

Yet Another White House Obamacare Delay: Out-Of-Pocket Caps Waived Until 2015 - Forbes

It's been delayed for some employer-provided insurance plans, but not for the plans on the exchanges.

Ok thx..

That is how insurance works. It is how it has always worked. Obamacare did not invent insurance pools.

the problem is - it is forcing employers to dump the insurance benefit in 2018 and why should I have to pay for something I don't need and what is MANDATED by this crap?

I have to add, an acquaintance of mine, said he went on the the cali state exchange. he wanted coverage as close to what he has now, his wife works at a broker and hes a buyer for trader Joe. She has full Kaiser, right now he has,( soon to be gone) , anthem blue cross plus(?)..... (its gone becasue they are cutting his hours but thats not the point for now).

he says, now this is him talking, ok(?), he swore to me he went on the state exchange, and for the platinum plan, which is very close to what they have now, to cover them both would be....$1800.00.....I asked him 3 times, he said yes thats what it said, $1800.00. He says out of pocket now collectively they pay $425.00......

In all seriousness, I just don't beleive it. I kept asking him if he was sure, he said yes....all 3 times, I have to say, I simply cannot beleive that...he has to be wrong. Thats not even remotely sane.

Dies anyone have a comment or can shed light on this? I tried to get in, got booted twice....I'm on my shitty iPad so......

According to what I've seen on the Covered California site, "Platinum" coverage for 2, no dependents, is a little less than $1000 a month in premiums.

But it's disingenuous to compare it to employer-provided insurance, in that case Trader Joe's was previously paying a decent portion of his premium each month.

looks strange. the highest for 2 adults I've seen is 962$

the problem is - it is forcing employers to dump the insurance benefit in 2018 and why should I have to pay for something I don't need and what is MANDATED by this crap?

Repeating the same lie, over and over again, won't make it magically come true.

There is nothing in "Obamacare" that "forces" employers to drop coverage in 2018.

You need to stop making that claim as though it is fact. It is making you crazy.

You have no idea what employers will and will not do with this law. Stop making that claim.

looks strange. the highest for 2 adults I've seen is 962$

$1800 seems way crazy to me too. As does the $425 out of pocket for both for their old plans. That seems really low for out of pocket expenses.

that is a silver 70 - there is no platinum level if you go past those subsidized types.
there are only 2 types provided past subsidized ones

Close the pop-up box, and click the button at the top labelled "Gold/Platinum" plans.

I did - the monthly is 962 which is almost 1000 plus a co-pay of everything, and 10% of everything , like hospital stay

You and I are looking at the same plan, I think... but I have no idea what you're talking about with the "10% of everything"...

Are you talking about the PPO price? That's only if you go out of network.

There is nothing in "Obamacare" that "forces" employers to drop coverage in 2018.

yes it does. it is forcing every employer to pay excise 40% tax on every insurance which exceeds 10, 500 for a year - which as we see is a STANDARD cost of a STANDARD employer based insurance.
it is a provision of taxing the "cadillac" plans, but those plans are just the regular ones, not the "cadillac"

Last edited:

yes it does. it is forcing every employer to pay 40% tax on every insurance which exceeds 10, 500 for a year - which as we see is a STANDARD cost of a STANDARD employer based insurance.
it is a provision of taxing the "cadillac" plans, but those plans are just the regular ones, not the "cadillac"

Huh?

Did you read the article? I bet you did not. otherwise it would be obvious for you she is voting dimocrap only.
It is obvious even from the quotes posted here

Dean thinks i am a Right Winger.....Shoot speeders thinks im a Liberal.....i guess what you say can be misleading to some....

I don't think about your wings. :D
I think you did not read the article.

It is absolutely clear from the quotes in the OP the woman voted for obama and obamacare.

If you can't see - you don't WANT to see it.

i know a few people who want health ins for everyone and think the ACA has many fine points.....but yet dont care to much for the President.....maybe you are seeing what you want to see....:eusa_eh:

yes it does. it is forcing every employer to pay 40% tax on every insurance which exceeds 10, 500 for a year - which as we see is a STANDARD cost of a STANDARD employer based insurance.

I think you're vastly over-estimating what percentage of employer-provided plans would fall into the category of "cadillac plans".

The numbers I see are less than 10%.

Forum List

Back