🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Obamacare sticker shock

I think you're misunderstanding what that cost means.

It doesn't mean that you have to pay 10% of everything, it just means that if you visit an out-of-network hospital, you'll be billed for 10% of the cost.

If you visit an in-network hospital, you pay what's under the HMO prices.

it is you who are misunderstanding. It means you co-pay 10% of hospital stay, rehab, radiation treatment, chemotherapy, outpatient surgery etc.

why should I visit in-network hospital, when I need, let's say the edge-cancer treatment?
after paying 1000$ a month I should not be compelled to who-knows-where and what hospital.

And as I have said before - that is what I have NOW and what I am comparing to.

this is a fascist grip on me and others like me - to enforce me to buy a product and if I refuse - racket me by government means.

By 2018 there won't be any employer-sponsored plans - that is why this obamacare crap has to be killed.

The Obamacare crap needs to be killed because even if it was good, the ends do not justify the means. It was lied into existence. The American contract was violated at every step, straight through to the the SCOTUS decision which declared it a tax when there is no way it could have been passed if it had been billed as a tax to begin with.

That's the basic reason it needs to be killed.

The fact that so many people are being hurt by it is of course very helpful in a sense, since some people don't care about how it came to be, and only care about the net effect. So, it's useful that they'll see people losing their livelihoods over this.

But it's just plain sad all around.

I agree totally - this crap has to be killed.

THEN can we start reforming the healthcare ( it is needed, but this crap is horrendous)

So, your new plan now, has the same, ded. Copays etc. Same access , doctors hospitals, and it's 3200....less? :eusa_eh: r u getting a subsidy?

Traj, have you ever bought insurance privately?

If you're shocked about the exchange prices, you should see what a lot of us have had to pay for a long time now.

No I haven't but I stayed at a holiday inn........:eusa_shhh:

No, but I know what my employer paid and what my wife's employer pays.

I am not Shocked at the prices , I am shocked at the difference in prices, that is if , this is a big if , your plans are very very close together- you're getting the same coverage same access same deductibles, copays out-of-pocket cap and someone is saving $3200 a year ask yourself doc, does that sound right to you?

I know care and I trust you, you're not loons, but I want you to ask yourself seriously , doesn't that sound a little too good to be true ?

I'm not saying that you're not seeing what you're seeing, what I'm saying is somewhere along the line someone's going to take the pipe so that folks can get these deductions in their rates, it's got to come out somewhere somehow, there is no free lunch...... This all can't be on account of insurance companies losing the ability to deduct administrative costs etc....... And enough people haven't signed up yet to float the relative values so you can adjust the system up and down according to demand and how much cost is being spread....

3200 bucks? That's great but.......:doubt:

It has to do with the risk on the part of insurance companies. Group plans purchased by employers are much cheaper because they're able to spread the risk around the group - for example, if you have a serious medical issue, that expense on the part of your insurance company can be swallowed because it's unlikely that everyone at your job will simultaneously get injured or sick.

When you buy insurance privately, you're a risk pool of one. That's why it costs so much more.

I don't know how the exchanges are mitigating the prices, but I can say with certainty that I'll save money when I switch my plan to one from the exchanges, and receive as good if not better coverage.

are you an idiot?

it is an OFFICIAL site and a quote and a link FROM THE LAW :rolleyes:

you are quoting the very post with a link to the official site where it is written and that is where I copy&pasted from and stating that it is not backed up? :cuckoo:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said you had yet to back up your claim, I was referring to your claim that $10,200 per year is the cost of a "standard PPO plan".

gosh, you are thick.

of course it is - on your very californian site the PPO plan which is approximately as mine( by benefits) - costs MORE

You're deluded if you think group plans are the same price as individual plans.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said you had yet to back up your claim, I was referring to your claim that $10,200 per year is the cost of a "standard PPO plan".

gosh, you are thick.

of course it is - on your very californian site the PPO plan which is approximately as mine( by benefits) - costs MORE

it is you who are deluded if you think the price is lower than that in the exchange.

I am not Shocked at the prices , I am shocked at the difference in prices, that is if , this is a big if , your plans are very very close together- you're getting the same coverage same access same deductibles, copays out-of-pocket cap and someone is saving $3200 a year ask yourself doc, does that sound right to you?

I know care and I trust you, you're not loons, but I want you to ask yourself seriously , doesn't that sound a little too good to be true ?

I'm not saying that you're not seeing what you're seeing, what I'm saying is somewhere along the line someone's going to take the pipe so that folks can get these deductions in their rates, it's got to come out somewhere somehow, there is no free lunch...... This all can't be on account of insurance companies losing the ability to deduct administrative costs etc....... And enough people haven't signed up yet to float the relative values so you can adjust the system up and down according to demand and how much cost is being spread....

It has to do with the risk on the part of insurance companies. Group plans purchased by employers are much cheaper because they're able to spread the risk around the group - for example, if you have a serious medical issue, that expense on the part of your insurance company can be swallowed because it's unlikely that everyone at your job will simultaneously get injured or sick.

When you buy insurance privately, you're a risk pool of one. That's why it costs so much more.

I don't know how the exchanges are mitigating the prices, but I can say with certainty that I'll save money when I switch my plan to one from the exchanges, and receive as good if not better coverage.

they are NOT. they are providing the highest prices as for ONE.

I get the feeling you haven't been paying attention.

Plans available on the exchange right now are without question cheaper than previously available private plans.

it has to do with the risk on the part of insurance companies. Group plans purchased by employers are much cheaper because they're able to spread the risk around the group - for example, if you have a serious medical issue, that expense on the part of your insurance company can be swallowed because it's unlikely that everyone at your job will simultaneously get injured or sick.

i don't know how the exchanges are mitigating the prices, but i can say with certainty that i'll save money when i switch my plan to one from the exchanges, and receive as good if not better coverage.

they are not. They are providing the highest prices as for one.

i get the feeling you haven't been paying attention.

Plans available on the exchange right now are without question cheaper than previously available private plans.

no they are not.

gosh, you are thick.

it is you who are deluded if you think the price is lower than that in the exchange.

The cost to your employer for your insurance is staggeringly lower than it would be for you to buy insurance on the exchanges - and that cost to your employer is how "cadillac plans" are figured.

gosh, you are thick.

You have done a great job in this thread. Thanks for the info.

i get the feeling you haven't been paying attention.

no they are not.

How would you know? You get insurance through your employer, as you've pointed out repeatedly.

because I did not always get my insurance through the employer and one can check even NOW the cost of the insurance outside the exchange - it is very possible in my state.

they were actually the same as the exchange ones.

no they are not.

How would you know? You get insurance through your employer, as you've pointed out repeatedly.

because I did not always get my insurance through the employer and one can check even NOW the cost of the insurance outside the exchange - it is very possible in my state.

You must deal with idiots in real life. There is no other explaination.

no they are not.

Well, I can only speak from my own experience - which is looking like a discount of $150 a month for me.

The cost to your employer for your insurance is staggeringly lower than it would be for you to buy insurance on the exchanges - and that cost to your employer is how "cadillac plans" are figured.

no it is NOT. you don't know either the size of my employer and the number of employees or the prices payed for the insurance.
My employer does not provide cadillac plans - I do not work for the government.

It is a standard PPO ( we have options for HMO and PPO) - which is comparable to the exchange plan under platinum coverage.
and the cost is already around 10K - and it is going to increase by 2018 because of the inflation - but the set cost of 10,200$ is specifically set to kill ALL employer-based insurance - and convert everybody to obamacare. Otherwise the price would be much higher.

as I have stated before - the left ALWAYS benefits big companies/corporations/business ONLY - simultaneously lying about "caring for middle class". All they are doing in reality - hosing the middle class for the benefit of the big business.

Last edited:
Shelly Ross of San Francisco was looking forward to the opening of the new health insurance marketplaces under the Affordable Care Act because she was hoping to get a better deal.

But now that she's seen her options, Ross is disappointed. Turns out she earns slightly too much money to qualify for federal financial aid to help her buy coverage in the state's exchange, called Covered California. And because policies have to be upgraded to comply with the new law, her rates are going up nearly 10 percent.

"Every plan is going to cost more than what I pay now. And what I pay now is ridiculous," said Ross, 47, who owns a cat-sitting business called Tales of the Kitty and pays more than $400 a month for her insurance. "It's a great thing for some people, but it's certainly not helping me."

Health insurance shoppers suffer sticker shock - SFGate

this law is horrible and should be repealed, hopefully the gop will win and get at least a year delay

And what will Obama have to pay for his own healthcare? He makes 4 hundred thousand dollar a year. He gets to live in a nice house without paying rent. I beat he must contribute at least a dollar a week... :eusa_liar:

If you're shocked about the exchange prices, you should see what a lot of us have had to pay for a long time now.

Right, I hear that , that's why I didn't use my own experiences, I don't have any :lol:

I guess I will do some more reading, avik Roy and Ezra Klein do an obamacare wonk U tube every few weeks,........but, you get that there has to be mitigation, a 'there', 'there', if everyone signed up in that class and used the services there would not be a balloon to squeeze, it would explode;)

they are NOT. they are providing the highest prices as for ONE.

I get the feeling you haven't been paying attention.

You truly are a deluded, brainwashed parrot.

So, your new plan now, has the same, ded. Copays etc. Same access , doctors hospitals, and it's 3200....less? :eusa_eh: r u getting a subsidy?

This clown readily believes the derp squad's BS about Obamacare yet calls into question testimony from someone he allegedly trusts - because it goes against the narrative he has fooled himself into believing.

It's called no longer being an Island and now being part of a pool, jackass. Welcome to the concept of group insurance.

Make sure to take an extra cognative disonnance pill before bed tonight - the last thing you want to remember in the morning is this thread.

Well, I can only speak from my own experience - which is looking like a discount of $150 a month for me.

so don't extrapolate your singular experience on everybody else.
same is pertinent for the 40% excise tax - not every employer is a size of Boeing company.

Forum List

Back