Ocasio-Cortez: Debate Request Is Sexual Harassment!

Ocasio-Cortez dismisses Ben Shapiro's debate offer, compares to 'catcalling'

Democratic congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Thursday dismissed an offer from conservative commentator Ben Shapiro challenging her to a debate, saying she doesn’t “owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions.”

“Just like catcalling, I don’t owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted Thursday night. “And also like catcalling, for some reason they feel entitled to one.”

Shapiro fired back at Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter while defending his offer:

"Discussion and debate are not “bad intentions.” Slandering someone as a sexist catcaller without reason or evidence does demonstrate cowardice and bad intent, however."

My, my, my. That's the "future of the Democratic Party", is it?

I wonder if she whipped out her Woman Card and claimed it was "catcalling" when Stephen Colbert asked to interview her. That request was probably "unsolicited", too.

So much for her claims that Republicans are afraid of HER. Looks the other way 'round to me.
"Debate" and "interview" mean different things.

yes, they do. and legitimate candidates do both. She is extremely ignorant, makes idiotic proclamations, and comes off as a pathetic whining baby.

but that's the future of your party, Obama and Clinton killed the party of Truman and Kennedy and this is all you have left.
I haven't heard her--but I have a feeling that your opinion of her "proclamations" might be a bit colored by your disagreement with her basic premises. No?
She's young, she probably hasn't gotten her details worked out yet since she didn't expect to win the nomination, but you could be right. A lot of politicians don't have the details down, just the sound bytes. I seem to recall Trump was pretty famous for that during the campaign. Couldn't seem to get him to explain what in hell he was planning to actually DO except repeal and replace.....build that wall that Mexico will pay for.....stop all immigration of Muslims....make America safe again....
Bumper sticker campaigning isn't actually unheard of.
oh come on OL, we already have a thread on her stupidity. she made the statement that unemployment is low because everyone has 2 jobs. this is your savior? you want this ignorance in our congress? really? you have no class then.
Since I don't live in the Bronx, it's not my decision. Really.

The point is, this woman accomplished something pretty remarkable in a very peculiar voting district. And now she is being feted all over the country on interview shows where she is asked fatuous questions and allowed to ramble on without interruption or contradiction, on subjects where her content is nothing but vacuous blather. She shows herself as not particularly intelligent or well-informed, and certainly not worthy of being elevated to the informal position of, "The Future of the Democratic Party!"

Hence, Shapiro tries to embarrass her with a tongue-in-cheek offer of a campaign contribution in exchange for a "debate," knowing that she wouldn't accept such an invitation in a thousand years. She would be annihilated.

Shapiro - 1
Alexandria - 0

I don't think it was tongue-in-cheek. I think he very much expected her to run and hide like a scared little girl - as she, in fact, did - but I also think he's quite serious about being willing to have the debate/interview/whatever, if she ever puts on her big-girl panties and takes his challenge.

And yes, he'd take her positions apart like a cheap watch.

I agree. Most opponents want to debate. It gives them a chance to put forth their opinion on a subject and what they will do.

The fact that this idiot doesn't want to debate and then insults the other party speaks volumes.

Sure hope she never makes it.

She has it made already unless someone steps up and opposes her

Democratic congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Thursday dismissed an offer from conservative commentator Ben Shapiro challenging her to a debate, saying she doesn’t “owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions.”

“Just like catcalling, I don’t owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted Thursday night. “And also like catcalling, for some reason they feel entitled to one.”

"Discussion and debate are not “bad intentions.” Slandering someone as a sexist catcaller without reason or evidence does demonstrate cowardice and bad intent, however."

I wonder if she whipped out her Woman Card and claimed it was "catcalling" when Stephen Colbert asked to interview her. That request was probably "unsolicited", too.

So much for her claims that Republicans are afraid of HER. Looks the other way 'round to me.

yes, they do. and legitimate candidates do both. She is extremely ignorant, makes idiotic proclamations, and comes off as a pathetic whining baby.

but that's the future of your party, Obama and Clinton killed the party of Truman and Kennedy and this is all you have left.
I haven't heard her--but I have a feeling that your opinion of her "proclamations" might be a bit colored by your disagreement with her basic premises. No?
She's young, she probably hasn't gotten her details worked out yet since she didn't expect to win the nomination, but you could be right. A lot of politicians don't have the details down, just the sound bytes. I seem to recall Trump was pretty famous for that during the campaign. Couldn't seem to get him to explain what in hell he was planning to actually DO except repeal and replace.....build that wall that Mexico will pay for.....stop all immigration of Muslims....make America safe again....
oh come on OL, we already have a thread on her stupidity. she made the statement that unemployment is low because everyone has 2 jobs. this is your savior? you want this ignorance in our congress? really? you have no class then.
I don't want any stupid fk from any district dictating policy in our country. You're a strange one that doesn't believe in the country. shame and sad

The point is, this woman accomplished something pretty remarkable in a very peculiar voting district. And now she is being feted all over the country on interview shows where she is asked fatuous questions and allowed to ramble on without interruption or contradiction, on subjects where her content is nothing but vacuous blather. She shows herself as not particularly intelligent or well-informed, and certainly not worthy of being elevated to the informal position of, "The Future of the Democratic Party!"

Hence, Shapiro tries to embarrass her with a tongue-in-cheek offer of a campaign contribution in exchange for a "debate," knowing that she wouldn't accept such an invitation in a thousand years. She would be annihilated.

Shapiro - 1
Alexandria - 0

I don't think it was tongue-in-cheek. I think he very much expected her to run and hide like a scared little girl - as she, in fact, did - but I also think he's quite serious about being willing to have the debate/interview/whatever, if she ever puts on her big-girl panties and takes his challenge.

And yes, he'd take her positions apart like a cheap watch.

I agree. Most opponents want to debate. It gives them a chance to put forth their opinion on a subject and what they will do.

The fact that this idiot doesn't want to debate and then insults the other party speaks volumes.

Sure hope she never makes it.

She has it made already unless someone steps up and opposes her

Yes she does as no Rep could win in that district. To bad. This moron will be elected.

Why in God's name should she debate some loony RW radio squawk jock who would have nothing but bad intent and why would you compare it to going on Colbert's show? Stephen had no interest in "debating" her.

Hell, she has little reason to debate Anthony Pappas - the dude she's actually RUNNING against (in a district where Ds outnumber Rs 6-1) who hasn't received a single donation.

Pappas may as well go back to bed :)

https://nypost.com/2018/06/28/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-opponent-hasnt-gotten-a-single-donation-yet/

So let’s get him some money

He would eat her alive, and she damn well knows it.
He is currently the best debater alive. Informed, smart, and lightning fast on his feet... this guy will make you look like an idiot even if you are right.
If I was a candidate for EITHER party, I wouldn't want to make an appearance in the same city as this guy let alone debate him one on one.
Having said that, she once again showed her true colors for calling him sexist with zero basis for it.
this guy will make you look like an idiot even if you are right.
Then why would anyone want to "debate" him?

Who else has Shapiro offered to "debate" among the Democratic candidates? Anyone? Why only her?

He has debated a lot of people as a guest on various "news" agencies CNN, FoxNews etc. I do not know if he has debated issues one on one with a candidate.
And BTW, people are wrong here saying he is a republican. I do not believe he has ever stated what party he belongs to, if any. He speaks out against Republican leaders all the time. And is critical of Trump as well.
He is certainly conservative, no doubt. But he is not a "spinner", he is not at all like most speakers that will present to you one side of an issue while leaving out something else just to make his point.
He is the best political speaker in the nation as far as I am concerned, and certainly many agree with that.
You make him sound interesting. I may just have to check him out, after all. Is he something like a Krauthammer? The reincarnation of William F. Buckley Jr.?

For being as young as he is...he is remarkable. This guy has an uncanny ability to retain knowledge.
Just forewarning... he has kind of an annoying voice...kind of "whiney" sounding...obviously he can't change that. He is very quick, and very straight forward.... and because of that can come off being a smart ass...but he isn't, that is just the way he talks.
Youtube him....there are 10,000's of videos on there.

Who is Ben Shapiro?
Aren't debates usually between candidates? Is he running for something?
No, he just challenged her views.
He would probably eat her up. Especially considering she is extremely ignorant.

Mostly he wants to help her to understand her views. She has clearly demonstrated that she doesnt. All this is to her is her daddy buying her a political campaigne. She will be forgotten about the end of October, or at least a punchline to late night TV jokes.

But she's a Hispanic Woman, so she can make any claim she wants against a conservative.

I’d like to see her debate he actual Republican candidate. Why aren’t we supporting him? Yeah he is a long shot but seriously the alternative is giving that idiot the seat

There is probably no Republican running
There should be because the vote will likely be split multiple ways because of how stupid she is. While the idiots may vote for her the sane people in the district will be looking for an alternate choice from the left leaving an opportunity for a Republican to steal a win.

I’d like to see her debate he actual Republican candidate. Why aren’t we supporting him? Yeah he is a long shot but seriously the alternative is giving that idiot the seat

There is probably no Republican running

There is one. His name is Anthony Pappas. He has a PhD in economics. Is older and barely has a campaign put together

I don't want any stupid fk from any district dictating policy in our country. You're a strange one that doesn't believe in the country. shame and sad
The sky ain't falling and she's not going to be "dictating policy" in our country, anymore than the other 500 reps to Congress, anyway.

The sky ain't falling and she's not going to be "dictating policy" in our country, anymore than the other 500 reps to Congress, anyway.
so you think congress is a waste. hmmm hard to actually argue that one. but it is our system. so yeah, it matters who is in there.

She does kinda look like a younger, hotter Huma.

She's definitely easy on my eyes and hard to take them off of :)

1*aX5hmtBPleqUMTXfMNfi8Q.jpeg

Then she opens her mouth

I suspect because he's a throwaway candidate, just there to say we ran someone. The GOP doesn't expect to ever win that particular seat, because the district is too deeply blue.

Well we could at least try. Why on earth are we conceding any district? We should be out persuading these people to get on board making our nation great instead of doing nothing and assuming they won’t ever change.

At least put up a good fight

Republicans really suck at making the case for their own positions. It's the damndest thing I've ever seen.

Who is Ben Shapiro?
No, he just challenged her views.
He would probably eat her up. Especially considering she is extremely ignorant.
So that would be like Hillary agreeing to debate Hannity or something?
Yeah, that is a reasonable request. Done all the time.
I have to say, I think she's right on this one.

I have to say, you'd have "thought she was right on this one" if her response had been to recite "Mary Had A Little Lamb", because you just want to believe she's right.

GOP candidates are forced to submit to aggressive, hostile interviews from leftist "journalists" by the platoon, and absolutely no one ever thinks it's unreasonable. But somehow, the idea that darling little Alexandria, "the future of the Democratic Party", subject herself to answering questions from a media figure from the right is ridiculous.

So you're correct that it's not "done all the time" for Democrats to face media figures from the right. They NEVER do it . . . because they're all chickenshit poseurs who know they can't defend their positions when challenged.

Who is Ben Shapiro?

Ben Shapiro is one of the biggest names in conservative media, and hugely popular with millennials, her presumed base. Figures you'd be so far into your leftist bubble, you'd have no clue.

Way to make excuses for her cowardice.
Way to make excuses for her cowardice.
I believe I just commented on a fact.

No, you just "commented" an excuse. "She only has to talk to people who tell her how wonderful she is, because XYZ how DARE you expect her to face someone who questions her!"

It is not even remotely a "fact" that politicians are never expected to defend their positions to media figures. It's only a fact that LEFTIST politicians are never expected to.

If you havent even heard her how can you make any claims on her intelligence?
This isn't really about her intelligence. You conservatives all think she's stupid, so that's a senseless argument. The question is about whether she should be "forced" to enter into a debate with Ben Shapiro. You all have decided she's chicken, so that debate is over, too. You smeared her. You won.

Forum List

Back