Ok Conservatives, don't get too excited but...

Geez...you needed this recent story to prove to yourself Reid is a dick...really?

Reid is not alone...nearly all pols in both parties are lying dicks...if only Americans would wake up to this fact. Our political class is nothing more than common criminals.

Maybe my problem was when conservatives diss EVERY not-conservative you tend to tune it out after a while. So if some genuine criticism comes up it's lost among all the rest?

We are pretty much right about them too.

Prove it and I'll get the tar and feathers. Until then...:)

Reid needs to be prosecuted. Not I want him to be, but he needs to be. Otherwise we're saying you can lie form the Senate floor during an election to throw it.

As I understand it, a Senator can say anything on the floor of the Senate and can not be sued for slander if he lies about an individual. If he tells the same liesame lie in a public setting, such as a TV interview, he can be sued by the person he slanders.

Reid needs to be prosecuted. Not I want him to be, but he needs to be. Otherwise we're saying you can lie form the Senate floor during an election to throw it.
Yeah, I would love to see that.

At some point, these people need to be taught that they can't get away with this kind of behavior.

There has to be a turning point for both sides to learn this, and this would be a good start.

The real turning point came when Clinton got away with lying under oath. Wagging his finger in our collective faces and lying out his ass. Yeah what Reid did was bad but is it the worse thing he has done? Not by a long shot. Getting Yucca mountain closed puts the majority of the nation in danger and he just doesn't care, for one thing.
Well, whatever the turning point was, it's time for both ends of the spectrum to grow up, stop lying, stop hating.

We're unraveling here, and it's a self-inflicted wound.

What I don't understand is why we don't see this.

Lying to throw an election should result (if convicted) in your being stripped nude, tar and feathered, and being whipped through capitol streets right out of town. Then a big ol fine equivilent to your career in office.

This isn't anywhere close to 'all politicians lie' because of course they do, but not all of them lie to effect a Presidential election. That's a crime against democracy and fair elections itself and something else entirely.

One side has been lying about the other since time eternal, it is nothing new. Maybe the venue he used is different and his position is different but lying is a way of life with politicians. Don't expect them to rein it in any time soon. Besides when and how does one differentiate between a lie and a mistake?

At some point, these people need to be taught that they can't get away with this kind of behavior.

There has to be a turning point for both sides to learn this, and this would be a good start.

The real turning point came when Clinton got away with lying under oath. Wagging his finger in our collective faces and lying out his ass. Yeah what Reid did was bad but is it the worse thing he has done? Not by a long shot. Getting Yucca mountain closed puts the majority of the nation in danger and he just doesn't care, for one thing.
Well, whatever the turning point was, it's time for both ends of the spectrum to grow up, stop lying, stop hating.

Clearly, when Nixon lied, and I don't believe it was under oath, and was found out he was forced to leave office. Not by the opposing party and not by his popularity but by his own party.

Clinton lies under oath and stays in office, because his party didn't have the morals to do the right thing. Now, 15 years later do you think you see a change in the democrat party that would make a difference? Yeah, maybe if Reid were a Republican you might but not as a Democrat. Especially a lie about a Republican white Mormon.

As I understand it, a Senator can say anything on the floor of the Senate and can not be sued for slander if he lies about an individual. If he tells the same liesame lie in a public setting, such as a TV interview, he can be sued by the person he slanders.

Contempt of Congress and Lying To Congress are a couple charges that spring to mind. Have to check if they've ever been used against a congressperson though.

Sorry to say but you are dreaming, if you think the lying and zealotry is going to stop. It is very effective at dividing Americans so the oligarchy can continue to control us.

And...most Americans don't see it because they are uninformed, propagandized, or just do not care.

Geez...you needed this recent story to prove to yourself Reid is a dick...really?

Reid is not alone...nearly all pols in both parties are lying dicks...if only Americans would wake up to this fact. Our political class is nothing more than common criminals.

Maybe my problem was when conservatives diss EVERY not-conservative you tend to tune it out after a while. So if some genuine criticism comes up it's lost among all the rest?

We are pretty much right about them too.

Prove it and I'll get the tar and feathers. Until then...:)

See that, you just admitted to how wrong you were and now you are back into denial. I don't know what you therapists call that behavior but I am sure there is a name. :thewave:

You see it, though. Thankfully. Where would we all be without you here sounding that horn?

Sorry to say but you are dreaming, if you think the lying and zealotry is going to stop. It is very effective at dividing Americans so the oligarchy can continue to control us.

And...most Americans don't see it because they are uninformed, propagandized, or just do not care.
Well, that's what I'm concerned about.

The zealots are so stuck in their patterns that this appears to be beyond party, beyond country, and damn near in their DNA.

That's why, if we could just get a little momentum going, we still may have a shot.

It may end up taking a situation like this, in which some "leaders" (cough) are willing to show some spine and police themselves, to set an example.

I dunno.

Grrrr.

"Members of Congress are given an absolute privilege to lie with impunity in the House or Senate, if they so desire, by the Speech or Debate Clause in Article I, Section 6 of the U.S. Constitution. It states that, with regard to senators and representatives, "for Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place." The Framers of the Constitution wanted to encourage debate in Congress, and they did not want that debate chilled by the threat of lawsuits."
Who Can Lie to Congress

Grrrr.

"Members of Congress are given an absolute privilege to lie with impunity in the House or Senate, if they so desire, by the Speech or Debate Clause in Article I, Section 6 of the U.S. Constitution. It states that, with regard to senators and representatives, "for Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place." The Framers of the Constitution wanted to encourage debate in Congress, and they did not want that debate chilled by the threat of lawsuits."
Who Can Lie to Congress
Holy crap.

Thanks for posting that, and for the thread.

Grrrr.

Who Can Lie to Congress
Holy crap.

Thanks for posting that, and for the thread.

Bit counterintuitive isn't it. Posted a follow-up thread in Constitution suggesting we amend that. :) 'Amend article 1 section 6'

...In this one instance you guys were right, Harry Reid is a douche and a half. "No apology" thing for claiming erroneously Mitt Romney hadn't paid any taxes during the Presidential run and 'ends justify the means' thing.

You guys were right, he's a dick. :)

I think most Americans know this.

For example, before winning reelection in Nevada, Dirty Harry's approval rating was around 10%, yet he won anyway.

I've read how the election results were probably tampered with, and the scathing remarks about his Tea Party opponent that are blamed for such election results. It was probably a combination of the two. The press does a good job demonizing any and all opponents of Progressive ideology, and the people, like yourself, just lap it up. Also, the dead tend to rise at election time and leftist unions were in charge of the election booths, some of which were tampered with.

So as you can see today, we all would have been better had he lost the election. Shrug.

Unfortunately, democracy is no more. We continue to be ruled by a Congress that has maintained an approval rating around 10% or so. There is no getting rid of them unless they retire in shame like Dirty "burn in hell" Harry.

...In this one instance you guys were right, Harry Reid is a douche and a half. "No apology" thing for claiming erroneously Mitt Romney hadn't paid any taxes during the Presidential run and 'ends justify the means' thing.

For example, before winning reelection in Nevada, Dirty Harry's approval rating was around 10%, yet he won anyway.

I've read how the election results were probably tampered with, and the scathing remarks about his Tea Party opponent that are blamed for such election results. It was probably a combination of the two. The press does a good job demonizing any and all opponents of Progressive ideology, and the people, like yourself, just lap it up.

So as you can see today, we all would have been better had he lost the election. Shrug.

Unfortunately, democracy is no more. We continue to be ruled by a Congress that has maintained an approval rating around 10% or so. There is no getting rid of them.

Recall the Congressional approval rating poll which said "lice has a higher rating." :)

Both sides do it!!! Equally!!!!! There is NO WAY that one of the major parties is more to blame than the other when it comes to dirty money in politics, negative campaigning and misinforming the populace in order to scare them into the voting booth. NO WAY, I tell ya!

That is a liberal LIE. The LIE is used to excuse liberals lying, shocker. /sarcasm

Both sides do it!!! Equally!!!!! There is NO WAY that one of the major parties is more to blame than the other when it comes to dirty money in politics, negative campaigning and misinforming the populace in order to scare them into the voting booth. NO WAY, I tell ya!

That is a liberal LIE. The LIE is used to excuse liberals lying, shocker. /sarcasm

I'm so glad that you told us you were being sarcastic.

I've read how the election results were probably tampered with, and the scathing remarks about his Tea Party opponent that are blamed for such election results. It was probably a combination of the two. The press does a good job demonizing any and all opponents of Progressive ideology, and the people, like yourself, just lap it up.

Unfortunately, democracy is no more. We continue to be ruled by a Congress that has maintained an approval rating around 10% or so. There is no getting rid of them.

Recall the Congressional approval rating poll which said "lice has a higher rating." :)

So you do know.

The only way to right the ship is to take away the power usurped by the federal government. States need to reclaim their rights or the centralized power within the federal government will only grow worse, as will the approval ratings.

The scary part is, even though we can still vote our votes are essentially powerless to stop this. What needs to happen is for states to rise up under Article V of the Constitution and amend the Constitution devoid of federal intervention. It has never been done before and it was put in the Constitution for this very purpose.

But both sides do, do it.

Again, the issue is not a particular party, it is the system and the fact that power corrupts. Too much power for anyone will destroy us all.

Forum List

Back