OK, I'll admit it, our friends on the left are correct; there IS a catch to the Trump tax cuts

. How does the government taking more from the rich help small businesses start up or survive today ?? Are we using government to pick winners and losers when it decides to shift wealth over to whatever or over to small businesses, and as soon as it does so, and in so many cases these day's, don't such businesses end up failing within 3 years tops ? Then what ?? Oh I know, and then it (the government) decides to fund and promote every kind of other bullcrap known to modern man, but these things end up being huge failures just as well.

Just like the states where state government can come up with multiple schemes or ideas to raise revenue for roads, bridges and there repairs for example, but just check back with those states years later, and the roads and bridges are still failing, and there is never enough money to do the jobs....... So the bullcrap tax schemes continue without any fiscal responsibility to be found anywhere in sight.

I have seen budgets added to or funded for road jobs, but the road crews are then directed to paving back roads way out in the rural & way out of sight, while in the meantime the main roads, and the heavily traveled roads are left in disrepair in order to make claims on and on that more money is needed, and more money is needed.

It never ends, and important progress is minimal at best. Pathetic !!

The biggest way big business wins is each different part of the US competing against every other part. The EU has basically banned this. It's said you can choose a tax rate system and you have to stick to it, otherwise big business will simply play divide and conquer.

Companies like Amazon will literally go around the country and say "who's willing to give us money for setting up shop here?" and they do. The jobs would stay in the US no matter what, however the money goes to Amazon when it shouldn't.

Imagine this.

You run a small business with a profit of $100,000 a year.

Then big business arrives in town, and you have competition. But the big business arrives without having to pay tax for five years. Their prices are lower than yours because they're not paying tax.

So your $100,000 drops because you have to drop prices down to the lowest level you can realistically afford to stay in business. This still isn't enough. Half your customers go shop at the large company. This means you're making no profit at all. The city is making less in taxers because you're paying half taxes you were paying before or less, and the other company isn't paying taxes at all.

Along the way other companies fail and yours will too. Meaning the larger company has taken all the customers by the end of the five year period, then renegotiates a nice sweet deal because they can't afford to see this company leave any more because it provides too many jobs.

How does this benefit anyone other than the rich?
Take WALMART for example They come to town businesses close

Actually just the opposite. We had a new mall open up around ten years ago. Walmart was the main character. Walmart is what's known in business as the Anchor Store. The land contracts of the smaller businesses in the mall were constructed around the anchor store. As Beagle9 noted, Walmart brings customers to those smaller stores.

The mall opened up and in a few years, Walmart found a way out of the contract because they wanted to build a Super Walmart about ten miles up the road. When they left, the new mall fell apart. Those smaller businesses lost their customers. They had to close up and were legally allowed to do so because their contract was null and void if the anchor store closed up or left.

If you want to look it up, the mall is called City View located in Garfield Heights, Ohio. With the exception of a grocery store and some small shops on the edge of the mall, the place is deserted, and it's a great location with easy parking and lots of room. It's a real shame.

Actually I think what you've just said supports what I said.

Walmart arrived in the new mall. All the businesses that thrived were the ones around the Walmart because people were going to Walmart. I don't know your area, but I'm betting a lot of stores elsewhere closed down or at the very least they struggled or moved to the mall.

Then Walmart disappears and everything falls apart because Walmart had taken too large a slice of the pie.

The New Way That Walmart Is Ruining America's Small Towns

"
The New Way That Walmart Is Ruining America's Small Towns"

"When a Walmart comes to town, the local economic framework is immediately thrown into turmoil. Many small and regional businesses get trampled by the low prices made possible by the massive economies of scale of the giant retailer. It’s nearly impossible to compete."

Wal-Mart: It Came, It Conquered, Now It's Packing Up and Leaving

"The Town’n Country grocery in Oriental, North Carolina, a local fixture for 44 years, closed its doors in October after a Wal-Mart store opened for business. Now, three months later -- and less than two years after Wal-Mart arrived -- the retail giant is pulling up stakes, leaving the community with no grocery store and no pharmacy."

Your link is silly. What they are saying is Walmart moved in, closed down one other business, then they moved out leaving the area with nothing. So that begs the question: If Walmart closed down a store and took all the business, why did Walmart move out too?

Apparently this is an area where no business can survive for one reason or another including Walmart. Maybe it's low volume of customers, maybe it's nearby competition, maybe it's shoplifting and theft, who knows. But Walmart closed down stores all across the country.

Yes, why did Walmart move out? Probably because it wanted to see how much profit it could make. Maybe the tax subsidy dried up. Maybe company policy changed. I don't know why they closed it down. I'd like to know. However what I do know is that it destroyed a company that would still be there otherwise. It bankrupted someone who should not have been bankrupted because they paid their taxes, they were an integral part of the community. That disappeared.

You said gambling winnings are income (either from capital or from labor) because "you took an action to financially benefit." Those are your words. Well what if the activity you're engaged in is NOT for profit?

I can't think of any examples of that, but be my guest!
How about if you go for a walk and find money on the sidewalk and pick it up?
Then you have quite a conundrum there. On one hand you are arguing that inheritance income is not income on the grounds that it is not derived from capital or labor. On the other hand you are saying alimony is NOT derived from capital or labor, so could you explain to me why it's in the "income" section of the individual income tax return form 1040? Obviously it sounds like your interpretation of the definition of income is totally wrong.

It probably wouldn't be considered taxable

Do you know what usually means? It means it's usually from capital or labor, but can be from other things. The bottom line is income is income. Inheritance is income that is currently excused from taxation. If I were a rich deadbeat, of course I'd report it. The risk is too great and I'd still be a millionaire deadbeat afterwards, just with a few less million. I didn't have to work for any of it anyway. You can whine all you want to protect your rich deadbeat heroes, but you're basically a clown grasping at straws, especially with your "Do you understand the term INCOME TAX? It means tax on income." crap and your inability to read and comprehend a basic English sentence.

Governments will always control the money that THEY create and enforce. If you think it's none of their business, then the rich should be barred from using the government for enforcing their property rights. So if someone kills them to steal their money, the government should just ignore them. After all, you say it's none of the government's business. That wasn't Trump's tune when he was getting bankruptcy protection from the government!

I’m getting tired of your lies, you have proof that those that inherit money as deadbeats? Of course you don’t, it is because you are dishonest and are just trolling along.

Unless you have proof positive, you are nothing but a bigot who is jealous and envious of what others have. You opinion is worthless.
Let me get this straight. You want me to prove that some of the people who inherit money are deadbeats?

Yep, prove it, I know people that have inherited money and worked just as hard as their parents, so put up or shut up, because you are acting like a loser that is bitter over their lot in life.
Take Trump for example. He got a big inheritance and still filed for bankruptcy protection. He's a deadbeat borrower. Won't pay his bills.

Liar prove he filled for personal bankruptcy..
Who said anything about a personal bankruptcy? Bernie Madoff used Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (a liability-limiting legal framework). Are you saying he didn't do anything wrong because he did it through a company? Is he not responsible for the actions of his company just because it's a company with limited liability?

I’m getting tired of your lies, you have proof that those that inherit money as deadbeats? Of course you don’t, it is because you are dishonest and are just trolling along.

Unless you have proof positive, you are nothing but a bigot who is jealous and envious of what others have. You opinion is worthless.
Let me get this straight. You want me to prove that some of the people who inherit money are deadbeats?

Yep, prove it, I know people that have inherited money and worked just as hard as their parents, so put up or shut up, because you are acting like a loser that is bitter over their lot in life.
Take Trump for example. He got a big inheritance and still filed for bankruptcy protection. He's a deadbeat borrower. Won't pay his bills.

Who said anything about a personal bankruptcy? Bernie Madoff used Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (a liability-limiting legal framework). Are you saying he didn't do anything wrong because he did it through a company? Is he not responsible for the actions of his company just because it's a company with limited liability?

You did ...and implied it thinking people like me wouldn't catch your B S.

Trump has over 120 bussiness, some he just lends his name to..

He doesn't micro manage every one
4 bankruptcy bussiness out of 120 plus..to start a new ..

Not bad , not bad at all

Not bad , not bad at all

Is he not responsible for the actions of his company just because it's a company with limited liability?

Personally responsible? No he isn't'. No Present, company owner, or CEO is. That's how business works in this country.
I guess they should let Bernie out of prison. Maybe even give him some of the money back. After all, he just lended his name to the business. That's all!

Not bad , not bad at all

Is he not responsible for the actions of his company just because it's a company with limited liability?

Personally responsible? No he isn't'. No Present, company owner, or CEO is. That's how business works in this country.
I guess they should let Bernie out of prison. Maybe even give him some of the money back. After all, he just lended his name to the business. That's all!

What does Bernie have to do with 4 out of 120 of Trump's company's filing for bankruptcy?

You do know GM and also American airlines filed for bankruptcy..right?

Why would that be taxable?
I didn't ask you if it was taxable, I asked you if it was income. You're the expert on the definition of "income," right? You tell me. Is it income?

Income is defined by the IRS and most importantly, by if it is taxable.

No, I don't think it's income. Even if the IRS said it was, who in the world would report finding cash???

Not bad , not bad at all

He did a hell of a lot more than that.

For one, we are not Europe and I hope never to be. The United States is just that--United States. This means our country was supposed to be like a bunch of little countries called states that run their own governments. Only on federal matters were we to join forces to solve national problems.

As time went on, it didn't work out that way unfortunately. People kept giving the federal government more and more power, and I don't want to see them have any more.

So states compete against each other for businesses the way it should be. Locals are more in control of their state government than they are the federal government, so each state can decide how it will conduct themselves in business matters.

If my representatives are not bringing jobs to my state by whatever means, it's time to get rid of them and hire representatives that will bring in new business. If you think your state does better with ten mom and pop shops over huge industry, then be my guest and offer them lower taxes than we offer our mom and pop stores. We'll stick with the conglomerates and see who does better.

And that my friend is choice.

Yes, it WAS supposed to be like lots of smaller countries coming together. It hasn't been like that for a long time though. That's the problem. You have a government for one thing, but are something completely different. It doesn't work.

Look, if each state were really a small country, and there were boundaries and things like that, then it'd work. But it's not. Each state has open borders. This means if a large business moves and relocates somewhere else, people leave one town, and set up in the new town. Only the large business isn't paying much in taxes.

I really don't get why you like large corporations fucking America, controlling government, and playing the system. Nothing positive happens for society. Yet you're all for it. It makes no sense. Don't you want your own country to be positive?

As for choice being fucked over by large corporations, it's like a slave having the choice between being a slave and trying to commit suicide.

To be honest I don't see it as anybody fucking anybody else.

Companies want to do business in areas where they can make the most profit. So they simply put out the offer and let states or cities present their best offer. What's wrong with that?

It's like going out and buying a new car, except there is some sort of law that says all dealerships must have the same price on the car you're going to buy. Sorry, it doesn't work like that. If they want your business, they have to make the best offer. Oh, but if one dealership keeps making the best offers, they get all the business! Yeah, so what's your point?

What's wrong with that? I've already stated what's wrong with that 100 times Ray.

1) it increases the tax burden on individuals and smaller businesses
2) it gives larger companies an unfair competitive advantage
3) it forces smaller companies to close down
4) it gives larger corporations too much power over government which is supposed to represent the people, not big business

No, it's not like buy a car Ray. It's like going out and buying a car where on company pays no tax and everyone else pays 30% tax and you go buy the car from the first company because the car costs 25% less.

You have no proof about anything you say. Why do you think prices are solely based on how much taxes are? When we talk about minimum wage, you leftists are constantly telling us how that itty-bitty increase in minimum wage won't increase prices that much. Then here YOU are saying that prices and competition is all based on taxation.

1. If a company moves into town with an abatement, WTF does that increase taxes on anybody else?
3. Prove it forces other companies to close down.
4. How does it give companies anymore power than it had before the tax abatement?

These are all ridiculous assertions.

I didn't say prices were based solely on what taxes are.

However if a company pays 30% less in taxes, they could, if they chose, drop their prices by 30%, or 25%.

Either way, lower taxes makes a company more competitive. If one company pays more than another company, then it's less competitive.

Walmart turns up with these large tax gifts and puts everyone else out of business. Without the tax gift they probably wouldn't turn up at all.

Well, I'm not the sort of leftist who says that minimum wage won't increase prices. I know it'll increase prices. In fact I've seen it first hand. So you can debate with me what I've said, rather what other people have said. I'm not them.

1) Say for example Walmart moves into town. Walmart doesn't pay taxes for 2 years, say. In those 2 years the govt still needs to find tax money from somewhere. Where's it coming from? It's not coming from Walmart. They'll just increase the taxes on other businesses or individuals. It's basic math.

2) I did prove it forces other companies to close down, I showed two links.

Radiating Death: How Walmart Displaces Nearby Small Businesses

"
Radiating Death: How Walmart Displaces Nearby Small Businesses"

"In 2006, months before a Walmart store was opened in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago's West side, researchers counted 306 businesses in the surrounding area. Two years after the Walmart opened, 82 of those businesses had closed."

In 2 years of Walmart being there, about 25% of stores closed down. That was in 2006 when the economy was doing well, before the crash.

"That some businesses, particularly small businesses, would close after a large retailer moves into the neighborhood is to be expected. But, as the researchers found, the pattern and severity of those closures was far from typical. The closer a business was to the new Walmart store, the more likely it was to close."

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

"This study, the first on the impact of a WalMart in a large city, draws on three annual surveys of enterprises within a four-mile radius of a new Chicago WalMart. It shows that the probability of going out of business was significantly higher for establishments close to that store. This probability fell off at a rate of 6% per mile in all directions."

What happened when Walmart left

"Much has been written about what happens when the corporate giant opens up in an area, with numerous studies recording how it sucks the energy out of a locality, overpowering the competition through sheer scale and forcing the closure of mom-and-pop stores for up to 20 miles around."

https://ag-econ.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/novdec05.pdf

"Wal-Mart’s ability to sell goods more cheaply means that it represents a profound threat to the viability of other nearby retail establishments."

I could go on all day Ray.

Walmart has things efficient. But their efficiency isn't the only thing that allows them to keep prices down.

Walmart benefits from billions in government subsidies: Study

"
Walmart benefits from billions in government subsidies: Study"

"Walmart is the beneficiary of billions of dollars per year in federal subsidies, according to a new report [PDF] from the non-partisan, progressive group Americans for Tax Fairness."

https://americansfortaxfairness.org/files/Walmart-on-Tax-Day-Americans-for-Tax-Fairness-1.pdf

"
On tax day, when millions of American taxpayers and small businesses pay their fair share to support critical public services and the economy, they will also get stuck with a multi-billion dollar tax bill to cover the massive subsidies and tax breaks that benefit the country’s largest employer and richest family."

You can't compete with a company being given billions of dollars from the govt. It's impossible.

I love this bullshit!!!

Walmart receives an estimated $6.2 billion annually in mostly federal taxpayer subsidies. The reason: Walmart pays its employees so little that many of them rely on food stamps, health care and other taxpayer-funded programs. [See Table 2 for state breakdown]

Money that employees receive is not received by Walmart. Idiots.

Walmart avoids an estimated $1 billion in federal taxes each year. The reason: Walmart uses tax breaks and loopholes, including a strategy known as accelerated depreciation that allows it to write off capital investments considerably faster than the assets actually wear out.

The new tax bill will allow businesses to immediately write off 100% of capital investments. LOL!!!

The Waltons avoid an estimated $607 million in federal taxes on their Walmart dividends. The reason: income from investments is taxed at a much lower tax rate than income from salaries and wages.

OMG!! I didn't think their whining stupidity could get any dumber, I was wrong.

Actually Madoff is/was responsible because he was operating illegally. CEOs can go to jail if they through their company are intentionally breaking the law. In the normal course of a legal operation they would not be liable.

Why would that be taxable?
I didn't ask you if it was taxable, I asked you if it was income. You're the expert on the definition of "income," right? You tell me. Is it income?

Income is defined by the IRS and most importantly, by if it is taxable.

No, I don't think it's income. Even if the IRS said it was, who in the world would report finding cash???
The IRS did say so. And so did the courts.

Cesarini v. United States - Wikipedia

Between that and alimony, it sounds like you have no clue WTF you're talking about with your "capital or labor" bullshit. Those are just examples, as the definition indicates with its lack of commas. Even if you cherrypicked one definition of "income" from some dictionary that only listed labor and capital, it would just be cherrypicking. Everyone knows that "income" is basically "that which comes in" and generally wealth "comes in" when it changes hands/title. Just look at the damned word!

Not bad , not bad at all

What does Bernie have to do with 4 out of 120 of Trump's company's filing for bankruptcy?

Bernie also ran his scams through an entity. I'm just wondering if you think they should let him out of prison since you don't think Trump is responsible for the actions of his companies.

Actually Madoff is/was responsible because he was operating illegally. CEOs can go to jail if they through their company are intentionally breaking the law. In the normal course of a legal operation they would not be liable.

Understood, but breaking the law and acting within the law are two different things. Telling people you have an investment company that's providing X results is different than failing to save a company via bankruptcy or whatever business strategy used.

To be honest, I think it was a stupid comparison in the first place; I don't know why I went along with it.

Understood, but breaking the law and acting within the law are two different things.
One is a legal deadbeat and the other is an illegal deadbeat.

But a deadbeat is still a deadbeat.

I'm glad you finally understand.

Not bad , not bad at all

It was okay for GM and Chrysler to file for bankruptcy as the Democratic President was dictating the terms, learn the rules. Democrat files bankruptcy good, Republican files bankruptcy bad.

Not bad , not bad at all

It was okay for GM and Chrysler to file for bankruptcy as the Democratic President was dictating the terms, learn the rules. Democrat files bankruptcy good, Republican files bankruptcy bad.
Why do you hold this double standard?

Not bad , not bad at all

Why do you hold this double standard?

Learn to comprehend what you read.

Forum List

Back