Oklahoma City Thunder Suspends Announcer After ‘Cotton-Picking’ Comment

Ironic in that Davis is reacting as a virtual slave to PC.
Yup, it is the same. A slave used to get a one-day suspension of pay for calling his owner a honkey.
So you admit to the hypocrisy.
To your hypocrisy, of course. You created a fallacy of false equivalency, a showed you the error of your way, then you have doubled down on your hypocrisy.

The announcer admits he was wrong.

Yup, it is the same. A slave used to get a one-day suspension of pay for calling his owner a honkey.
To your hypocrisy, of course. You created a fallacy of false equivalency, a showed you the error of your way, then you have doubled down on your hypocrisy.

The announcer accepted his slave punishment. You are an abject hypocrite.

I have read the OP's link very carefully.

I feel that Mr. Davis, the announcer, was very mature and professional in acknowledging that his use of that phrase was "insensitive."

And a one-game suspension seemed to be fair.

I don't think it was fair at all, even if Davis thinks it was.

This country is very much divided and apparently becoming more divided every day when it comes to ethnicity, religion, gender, etc.

We all have to be super careful not to unintentionally hurt the feelings of other groups.

If a word or phrase was not intended to offend then there's no cause for hurt feelings. If we are offended by something someone says, we are not offended by the mere utterance of the word, we are offended by the malicious intent behind it. In this particular case, Davis' use of the phrase had nothing to do with race or slavery. So why would anyone take it that way?

Apologizing for no offense is feeding and encouraging the politically correct idiots.

The announcer accepted his slave punishment. You are an abject hypocrite.

Sure.

iyfyus.jpg.gif

The stalinist alt right are just too funny.

No, dudes, we don't live in the 1950s, and the term in the context of the NBA in 2018 is insensitive.

I don't care if you are mad.

Context is irrelevant if there is no intent. And people get offended because they choose to.
Those who do not understand the importance of context and intent think like you, yes.

Context is irrelevant if there is no intent.
No, not exactly. When you are trying to extinguish a behavior, intent may inform the depth of the penalty, but not the existence of a penalty in the first place.

Toddlers don't necessarily intend to commit suicide or defy you, when they run into a busy street. But you would still negatively reinforce the extinguishing of that behavior.

The stalinist alt right are just too funny.

No, dudes, we don't live in the 1950s, and the term in the context of the NBA in 2018 is insensitive.

I don't care if you are mad.

Context is irrelevant if there is no intent. And people get offended because they choose to.
Those who do not understand the importance of context and intent think like you, yes.

I understand it just fine.

Answer a question for me: If I am a black man and someone uses the phrase "cotton picking" and I know this person is not racist and did not intend it that way, that it was used as a euphemism for a more obscene alternative, and knowing that slaves were not the only people who picked cotton, why would I be offended?

I feel that Mr. Davis, the announcer, was very mature and professional in acknowledging that his use of that phrase was "insensitive."

This is 2018.

This country is very much divided and apparently becoming more divided every day when it comes to ethnicity, religion, gender, etc.

We all have to be super careful not to unintentionally hurt the feelings of other groups.

A few years ago, two announcers were criticized for referring to an American athlete as an "Oriental." They claimed that they did not know that the word was now considered offensive. One of the last acts of the Obama administration was to forbid the word "Oriental" to be used in government documents.

We cannot live in peace, if normal word usage gives an member of a protected class, the power to have someone punished.

That is a recipe for division and strife.

Context is irrelevant if there is no intent.
No, not exactly. When you are trying to extinguish a behavior, intent may inform the depth of the penalty, but not the existence of a penalty in the first place.

Toddlers don't necessarily intend to commit suicide or defy you, when they run into a busy street. But you would still negatively reinforce the extinguishing of that behavior.

What behavior are we talking about here? Merely saying "cotton picking" is a behavior that needs to be extinguished?

Besides, the context of the remark was not the NBA in 2018, it was the playing strategy of some player named Westbrook.

This is 2018.

A few years ago, two announcers were criticized for referring to an American athlete as an "Oriental." They claimed that they did not know that the word was now considered offensive. One of the last acts of the Obama administration was to forbid the word "Oriental" to be used in government documents.

We cannot live in peace, if normal word usage gives an member of a protected class, the power to have someone punished.

That is a recipe for division and strife.
That makes zero sense. Nobody forced this private business to punish it's announcer. If they were doing something you agreed with, you would be applauding them.

What behavior are we talking about here?
Obviously....the uttering of a phrase that has origins of being demeaning to a whole swath of people who have been oppressed, historically, in the same spirit as the meaning of the phrase: as slaves and as subhumans. Come on man, you could have figured that out.

And it appears that this private organization does feel that uttering that phrase is a behavior to be extinguished . Probably a smart move, for a business whose consumers are so often black.

Answer a question for me: If I am a black man and someone uses the phrase "cotton picking" and I know this person is not racist and did not intend it that way, that it was used as a euphemism for a more obscene alternative, and knowing that slaves were not the only people who picked cotton, why would I be offended?
The PC zealots know it's not racist, but that's not why they react the way they do.

They just want you on the defensive so that they can control the conversation.

It's been fabulously successful for generations for them, although the tactic did play a significant role in the national pushback that got Trump elected.

These are terribly dishonest people.

What behavior are we talking about here?
Obviously....the uttering of a phrase that has origins of being demeaning to a whole swath of people who have been oppressed, historically, in the same spirit as the meaning of the phrase: as slaves and as subhumans. Come on man, you could have figured that out.

A word or phrase is not behavior and none of this has anything to do with Davis' behavior. So, what was it about Davis' behavior that needs to be extinguished?

Forum List

Back