Olberman signs off from Countdown

This is pretty funny. After the Tuscon shooting, liberals salivated with the idea of using the tragedy as an excuse of bringing back the falsely named "Fairness Doctrine" to get rid of Rush Limbaugh.

But who is gone? Keith Olbermann!

Liberals just keep losing, bit by bit!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Yup. We are watching the cultural pendulum which started swinging 'liberal' back in 1930 begin swinging back the other way. It rapidly passed it's 'balance point' in the 1960's and then kept over-reaching for the next 40 years. But 9/11 caused it to hit a 'hard stop', stick for a little bit and is now swinging back. It's a 75-100 year cycle from end to end swing. So about 30-40 years from now, we'll be looking at a good balance of liberalism and conservatism again.

This is just the beginning of the end of the progressive era.

I suspect (and hope) not.
Do you consider Iran a liberal or conservative culture? Was the Soviet Union conservative or liberal; China under Mao?
What does the "end of the progressive era" portend? A new era of regression, a return to the ways of the past?

Only if one assumes that a self imposed political term "Progressive"
equates with the progress of society.

No doubt many gov'ts have existed that we can all agree called themselves "Democratic" or "Progressive" and were neither

Think Eastern Bloc ; post Weimar republic, etc

This is pretty funny. After the Tuscon shooting, liberals salivated with the idea of using the tragedy as an excuse of bringing back the falsely named "Fairness Doctrine" to get rid of Rush Limbaugh.

But who is gone? Keith Olbermann!

Liberals just keep losing, bit by bit!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Yup. We are watching the cultural pendulum which started swinging 'liberal' back in 1930 begin swinging back the other way. It rapidly passed it's 'balance point' in the 1960's and then kept over-reaching for the next 40 years. But 9/11 caused it to hit a 'hard stop', stick for a little bit and is now swinging back. It's a 75-100 year cycle from end to end swing. So about 30-40 years from now, we'll be looking at a good balance of liberalism and conservatism again.

Do you consider Iran a liberal or conservative culture? Was the Soviet Union conservative or liberal; China under Mao?
What does the "end of the progressive era" portend? A new era of regression, a return to the ways of the past?
This is not a global trend, but a national one. Every culture is on a different swing.

NPR. ;) :lol:

It might have been interesting if FOX would have held on to him, the conversation on both sides would have been interesting. Pair him up with Colmes, maybe a couple of others from the Left, giving him a chance to adapt, to dealing with having to defend his positions live. It could have been a good experience for him, in a sink or swim kind of way. I think FOX should have honored his contract.
Actually, his nightly tirades about Fox and their hosts would lead one to believe that his exit from there wasn't all sweetness and light.

What the controlling Force wants is more control and easier choices, less complicated, less complaint and criticism. In the real world, that ain't going to sit well. Dumbing up the masses is always going to end up biting you in the ass in the end. Criticism is necessary to correct misdirection. Failing to recognize it, inability to change course, ends in destruction. Cause and Effect will solve what denial of reason refuses to.

It might have been interesting if FOX would have held on to him, the conversation on both sides would have been interesting. Pair him up with Colmes, maybe a couple of others from the Left, giving him a chance to adapt, to dealing with having to defend his positions live. It could have been a good experience for him, in a sink or swim kind of way. I think FOX should have honored his contract.
Actually, his nightly tirades about Fox and their hosts would lead one to believe that his exit from there wasn't all sweetness and light.

It would still have been interesting to witness him mature. I can't watch him for 10 seconds as he is now. Having to wait his turn to speak, seeing more level headed commentators from his camp, help him to adjust, could have really helped make some positive change and growth in him. There are at least a half dozen that come to mind instantly including Gretta, Rivera, Williams, Beckett, Liasson.

left wing pundits are mocked for being irrelevant and having no audience and impact, until they are dragged out to "balance" bullshit one of the praised right wing pundits with the huge audience and impact has put out.

the mocking and the false equivalence is usually done by the same mindless hacks.

limbaugh says something outrageous?

"look at what olbermann said!"

"olberdork has 3 viewers."

bwahahahaah

Anyone got a refrigerator box? I want to have alternative housing for Keith if he shows up here.

It would still have been interesting to witness him mature. I can't watch him for 10 seconds as he is now. Having to wait his turn to speak, seeing more level headed commentators from his camp, help him to adjust, could have really helped make some positive change and growth in him. There are at least a half dozen that come to mind instantly including Gretta, Rivera, Williams, Beckett, Liasson.
He's had parts of three decades to mature....It's beyond his skill set.

No doubt many gov'ts have existed that we can all agree called themselves "Democratic" or "Progressive" and were neither

Assuming it is not a political term; otherwise I would have capitalized it and instead of using the word regression I would have selected Reactionary.

He hasn't been on his show on any consistent basis since he was suspended. I am wondering if the Comcast theory is true. Seems more logical than him being fired for being too Liberal. That is wingnut-think.

He hasn't been on his show on any consistent basis since he was suspended. I am wondering if the Comcast theory is true. Seems more logical than him being fired for being too Liberal. That is wingnut-think.
Maybe it's no more complicated than because he's a monumental horse's ass and next to impossible to work with.

That's the rep he left behind at ESPN and Fox Sports.

Maybe it's no more complicated than because he's a monumental horse's ass and next to impossible to work with.

That's the rep he left behind at ESPN and Fox Sports.

And you know this how?

Assuming it is not a political term; otherwise I would have capitalized it and instead of using the word regression I would have selected Reactionary.
Self titled progressives a la Wilson, FDR, Ginsberg, Debs, and their associated ilk in America. Their era is rapidly dying.

Last edited:
Comcast is genius, reduced expenses and liabilities while increasing value before they even have control. Madcow is next, partiularly if he tries to compensate for the lack of Olberman.

Getting rid of Olbermann reduces the value of the property, not increases it.

You can hire just about anything conservative talk show host and have a higher audience than 450,000. No, this increased the value.

No, they couldn't. And no, it didn't.

FCC approved the deal, but the deal is not yet final. Comcast doesn't own NBC quite yet, and they do not have any operational control over content at all.

you know there were discussions about what it would take for the deal to go through.

And it makes even less sense then that Comcast would want Olbermann to be gone as a precondition of the deal.

Why damage the property you're looking to purchase by insisting they get rid of their highest rated show?

No, my bet is that O either has some personal issues, or let his ego run away with him again and his current bosses saw an opportunity to get rid of him. After all, they have nothing to lose, they're about to turn over the property to someone else.

depends on who the biggies at comcast are? who are the major shareholders? the ceo? etc...

until i know more, i'll withhold judgment, but the timing seems fortuitous.

Forum List

Back