old farts were suckers ...

WASHINGTON — Veterans Affairs officials on Wednesday defended plans to strip tens of thousands of dollars in unemployment benefits from elderly veterans as responsible reforms to the department’s growing budget, but opponents promised to fight the idea.

Included in President Donald Trump’s $186.5 billion VA budget for fiscal 2018 — a nearly 6 percent boost in discretionary spending from this year — are plans to dramatically cut the department's Individual Unemployability program.

Up to 225,000 veterans over the age of 60, at least 7,000 of whom are over 80, could be impacted by the change.

Under current rules, the IU program awards payouts at the 100 percent disabled rate to veterans who cannot find work due to service-connected injuries, even if actual rating is less than that.
VA defends plan to cut thousands from elderly vets' benefits

Why can't they find work, from Obama's hand off of a stellar economy?

Why are you posting stupid?

Damn the eighty year old vets that don't have a hundred percent service related disability. They can get a job at Walmart.
All the vets I know at that age don't need the money and damn sure don't want to work..

WASHINGTON — Veterans Affairs officials on Wednesday defended plans to strip tens of thousands of dollars in unemployment benefits from elderly veterans as responsible reforms to the department’s growing budget, but opponents promised to fight the idea.

Included in President Donald Trump’s $186.5 billion VA budget for fiscal 2018 — a nearly 6 percent boost in discretionary spending from this year — are plans to dramatically cut the department's Individual Unemployability program.

Up to 225,000 veterans over the age of 60, at least 7,000 of whom are over 80, could be impacted by the change.

Under current rules, the IU program awards payouts at the 100 percent disabled rate to veterans who cannot find work due to service-connected injuries, even if actual rating is less than that.

Damn the eighty year old vets that don't have a hundred percent service related disability. They can get a job at Walmart.
All the vets I know at that age don't need the money and damn sure don't want to work..

Think about this for a moment. This is about veterans with a service related disability. Now vets get to collect social security AND their disability benefit. But if they had a service related disability they probably made less as a civilian than they otherwise would, which means a lower social security check. To compensate, the VA was paying those retired vets at the hundred percent disability rate. It makes sense. But under this budget proposal those stipends would be eliminated. They are actually being punished for having a service related disability. That is beyond the pale, and would only be proposed by someone that has no concept of the sacrifice and service these individuals have made to this nation. Most certainly no way in hell any individual that supports,or proposed, this plan can claim to support the members of our armed services. It is disgusting.

Think about this for a moment. This is about veterans with a service related disability. Now vets get to collect social security AND their disability benefit. But if they had a service related disability they probably made less as a civilian than they otherwise would, which means a lower social security check. To compensate, the VA was paying those retired vets at the hundred percent disability rate. It makes sense. But under this budget proposal those stipends would be eliminated. They are actually being punished for having a service related disability. That is beyond the pale, and would only be proposed by someone that has no concept of the sacrifice and service these individuals have made to this nation. Most certainly no way in hell any individual that supports,or proposed, this plan can claim to support the members of our armed services. It is disgusting.
I went to the VA after Trump was elected, the hours of operation were reduced for veteran access.

This was on the news last night. A retired person making $26,000 a year at 64 would have to pay an additional $11,000 a year for healthcare. Have their living wage. In essence they are forced out of healthcare by the Republicans.

It's 'the christian' thing to do, apparently.

Obama care forced everyone out of health care except the rich..Obama care is not health care with those high of deductibles.

This was on the news last night. A retired person making $26,000 a year at 64 would have to pay an additional $11,000 a year for healthcare. Have their living wage. In essence they are forced out of healthcare by the Republicans.

It's 'the christian' thing to do, apparently.

Obama care forced everyone out of health care except the rich..Obama care is not health care with those high of deductibles.

What are you talking about. I have a high deductible plan. I put the deductible into a health savings account. It is pretax dollars. Then, if I don't use that deductible I roll it over. I fund the health savings account again the next year, and if I don't use it, I roll it over again. It's like another qualified retirement account. I can invest the funds however I see fit, and the earnings are not taxed until I pull them out. Health insurance is not suppose to be there to pay for your healthcare. It is there so you don't have to use YOUR MONEY to pay for health care. If you got no money, you don't have any business having health insurance.

That's the long and short of it.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Not to mention they want to reduce what they call now the cost of living adjustments to help fund. The col is a joke but don't take it away.

Choice program could be good, but I can see the fraud now just as in Medicare. I also see a lot of angry vets when they start receiving collection notices from the outside providers.

If you like your insurance policy, you can keep your insurance policy.

Unless the insurance company eliminates the plan.

The insurance companies had the option to keep what is now called grandfathered plans, some dropped them that first year. Then there was the grandmothered plans sold between March 2010 until the first open enrollment that most have dropped. Don't blame obamacare for something the insurance company controlled.

Whoops not implying you are blaming obamacare. Others.

Not to mention they want to reduce what they call now the cost of living adjustments to help fund. The col is a joke but don't take it away.

Choice program could be good, but I can see the fraud now just as in Medicare. I also see a lot of angry vets when they start receiving collection notices from the outside providers.

The cost of living adjustment is based on the CPI-W, which is flawed. It uses something called "substitution". When the price of one good increases the formula assumes consumers will replace that good with another good that's price has not increased as much. If the price of milk goes up the index assumes the consumer BUYS MORE BEER. No shit, that is a fact.

The cost of living adjustment is based on the CPI-W, which is flawed. It uses something called "substitution". When the price of one good increases the formula assumes consumers will replace that good with another good that's price has not increased as much. If the price of milk goes up the index assumes the consumer BUYS MORE BEER. No shit, that is a fact.

Lmfao you serious ?

I knew that. My VA col is always the same as my social security, very little. They need to rework the index. It's usually the price of oil , doesn't matter if everything else goes up.

Read the rest of the article. The CBO says that the Republican plan would bring down the premiums by 4% to 20%. The rest of the article is nothing but MSM spin and blather. When you consider that the CBO is probably still staffed mostly by Obama propagandists it's pretty good news that they admit the Republican plan is cheaper.

Read the rest of the article. The CBO says that the Republican plan would bring down the premiums by 4% to 20%. The rest of the article is nothing but MSM spin and blather. When you consider that the CBO is probably still staffed mostly by Obama propagandists it's pretty good news that they admit the Republican plan is cheaper.

Premiums can only come down if you have a shit plan. Don't think that for one minute the plan you may have now will come down in premiums. You're only fooling yourself.

I'm fine with letting Obamacare burn to the ground on its own.

With most of your hateful attitudes around here I am wishing the requirements to get an individual plan and some large group plans would go back to March 1, 2010. Then we'll see how many will have insurance coverage.

I'm fine with letting Obamacare burn to the ground on its own.

With most of your hateful attitudes around here I am wishing the requirements to get an individual plan and some large group plans would go back to March 1, 2010. Then we'll see how many will have insurance coverage.

I'm with you .. 2010 and the whining "I need insurance" from all the uninsured RW's would be loud enough to break glass.

Forum List

Back