Olympic Medalist Miller, Over-reach

Mertex

Cat Lady =^..^=
Apr 27, 2013
Olympic Medalist Bode Miller, gets woman (McKenna) pregnant, dumps her, marries another woman (Beck), gets her pregnant, then Beck miscarries, and he sues McKenna for custody of the child. It gets worse.....

McKenna and Miller were living in California when they were dating, but she moved to New York after he dumped her, to go to school. A judge accused her of moving to keep Miller from the child and awarded him custody!

Fortunately another court overturns that decision, but it's not over. He couldn't be bothered to go with McKenna to the ultrasound, but now wants custody.

I for one am glad that he's not doing so well in the Olympics....

Do you think he should get the child?

A woman gets pregnant in California by a famous athlete she is casually dating, decides to go to college in New York—tuition paid by the G.I. Bill—and after she moves there, before the baby is born, gets blasted by a New York judge for “her appropriation of the child while in utero,” which the judge calls “irresponsible” and “reprehensible.”

A New York appeals court has already overturned the ridiculous initial judicial order in this fight between Sara McKenna, 27, a former Marine and firefighter now attending Columbia University, and Bode Miller, 36, an Olympic skier. But the case isn’t over, and it’s the latest fascinating entry in a series of legal challenges by fathers to traditional assumptions about parental rights and child custody. The old legal problem for single mothers was deadbeat dads. The new one is fathers who are so eager to assert themselves that they run roughshod over women’s rights. As the adults clash, sometimes it even becomes hard to consider the child at the center.

Bode Miller custody battle: New York family court made a terrible ruling for women?s rights, and took fathers' rights too far.

don't like this case at all.

if the description by the media that McKenna was dumped and he was not interested in the baby until his wife miscarried - that should be taken into consideration, but it was not.
it would be interesting to speculate if McKenna would have much better chances in a red traditional state vs two left-wing ones.

if the description by the media that McKenna was dumped and he was not interested in the baby until his wife miscarried - that should be taken into consideration, but it was not.
it would be interesting to speculate if McKenna would have much better chances in a red traditional state vs two left-wing ones.

I think the judge who awarded custody to Miller was just biased against women, never have seen anything so bizarre, awarding the father custody when he wasn't even interested before his wife lost their baby. The court that overturned it, was in New York, too.

I think the judge who awarded custody to Miller was just biased against women, never have seen anything so bizarre, awarding the father custody when he wasn't even interested before his wife lost their baby. The court that overturned it, was in New York, too.

I know, but she had to give the baby to the father and now has to fight to get the baby back.

I don't know the custody laws I was just wondering aloud as both Ca and NY are pretty left-wing states - and supposedly should be more pro-women.

However, in reality it looks like the courts in more conservative states stand by with mothers, which in this case should be a no-brainier - they are not married, he is married to other woman and dumped her when she was pregnant - where do his rights even come into play?

It's too late now but that what I was wondering - wouldn't she be much better if she would go to Ga or Tx instead?

I know, but she had to give the baby to the father and now has to fight to get the baby back.
The NY court overturned that....gave the baby back to the mother, she has the baby now.

I don't know the custody laws I was just wondering aloud as both Ca and NY are pretty left-wing states - and supposedly should be more pro-women.
They are, but apparently the first judge, that gave custody to Miller wasn't pro-women.

However, in reality it looks like the courts in more conservative states stand by with mothers, which in this case should be a no-brainier - they are not married, he is married to other woman and dumped her when she was pregnant - where do his rights even come into play?
He's rich and apparently used to getting his way. And since he is the biological father, the fact that he wasn't interested in the child before it was born (McKenna claims he wanted her to abort it), doesn't matter now. He is still pursuing custody.

It's too late now but that what I was wondering - wouldn't she be much better if she would go to Ga or Tx instead?
It's not up to her....the case originated in Ca, and I don't know but she may have to travel to Ca to have them settle the case. She'll have to drop out of school, which I think is so asinine, cause I think she'll end up with custody of the baby anyhow.

Miller comes off as a real prick after reading this story.

He's rich and apparently has gotten his way all through life. I don't understand his wife being so eager to raise the child and take it from its biological mother. Why doesn't she just get pregnant again.....maybe she doesn't want anything to interfere with her career.

If she has the baby now - that is all that matters. GOOD.

Olympic Medalist Bode Miller, gets woman (McKenna) pregnant, dumps her, marries another woman (Beck), gets her pregnant, then Beck miscarries, and he sues McKenna for custody of the child. It gets worse.....

McKenna and Miller were living in California when they were dating, but she moved to New York after he dumped her, to go to school. A judge accused her of moving to keep Miller from the child and awarded him custody!

Fortunately another court overturns that decision, but it's not over. He couldn't be bothered to go with McKenna to the ultrasound, but now wants custody.

A woman gets pregnant in California by a famous athlete she is casually dating, decides to go to college in New York—tuition paid by the G.I. Bill—and after she moves there, before the baby is born, gets blasted by a New York judge for “her appropriation of the child while in utero,” which the judge calls “irresponsible” and “reprehensible.”

A New York appeals court has already overturned the ridiculous initial judicial order in this fight between Sara McKenna, 27, a former Marine and firefighter now attending Columbia University, and Bode Miller, 36, an Olympic skier. But the case isn’t over, and it’s the latest fascinating entry in a series of legal challenges by fathers to traditional assumptions about parental rights and child custody. The old legal problem for single mothers was deadbeat dads. The new one is fathers who are so eager to assert themselves that they run roughshod over women’s rights. As the adults clash, sometimes it even becomes hard to consider the child at the center.

Bode Miller custody battle: New York family court made a terrible ruling for women?s rights, and took fathers' rights too far.

He is a jerk. I need to wake up a bit more before I continue.

Looks like Karma is working here....Mr. Miller came in 6th in the skiing championship....his wife was none too happy....and neither was he.

Lowering his head, then crouching in a corner, Bode Miller lingered in the finish area after his slower-than-expected Olympic downhill run, contemplating where things might have gone wrong.

Most everyone, Miller included, thought he was the man to beat entering Sunday's race.

Most everyone, the 36-year-old American included, thought he had a realistic shot at becoming the oldest Alpine gold medalist in Winter Games history.

Didn't even come close. Failing to produce the sort of near-perfect performance he came up with in practice, Miller finished eighth in the downhill, more than a half-second slower than champion Matthias Mayer of Austria.

"This can be a tough one to swallow today, having skied so well in the training runs, and then come in and be way out of the medals," said Miller, who was born in New Hampshire and now is based in California.

Bode Miller Surprisingly 8th in Olympic Downhill - ABC News

Hell no. He's an asshole.

Which is why none of it surprises me.

What was that dumb judge thinking? When he awarded custody to someone that hadn't even taken an interest in the child. I bet it has to do with him having money and having been a gold medalist....even though it wasn't in parenting?

What was that dumb judge thinking? When he awarded custody to someone that hadn't even taken an interest in the child. I bet it has to do with him having money and having been a gold medalist....even though it wasn't in parenting?

Clearly the judge wasn't thinking. He or she just assumed that because they had a Olympic medal he was more qualified. Judges are just people. Why there are those who equate them with some magical power to be smarter or fairer I'll never know.

I wonder if this is typical or exceptional. I think women still usually get custody. The California judge was very wrong, so the NY judge changing the verdict seems a proper adjustment. There may be a trend in judges giving a father's petition for custody more thought and weight rather than automatically awarding to the mother, but I would doubt they usually go to such extremes as the California judge did. I don't know exactly what to think. I think this is an exception and that custody cases are not typically going this way, though I do think judges and the courts are trying to give equal consideration to both parents, unlike they used to do.

Hi [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]

So, I read the link (Slate) and have not read anyone's postings yet - quite deliberately. I'll just give my two cents and then read what others have said.

The whole thing is disturbing, but maybe - for me - for not the same reasons as for you.

My main problem with this is that we don't have enough information. And nor should we, for this is really, really private stuff. On the basis of just one text that is a claim being made by one person, we can hardly characterize the quality of a relationship. And nor should we.

That being said, Miller sounds like a real schmuck to me. If yer gonna lay a girl and she gets pregnant, then the last thing you need to be doing is to marry another.

On the other hand, we don't know what kind of private agreements the two may have had with each other. And we shouldn't, because that's private stuff.

But my biggest problem with the slate story is this line:

"I understand that fathers have rights, and I’m all for that. But this ruling took those rights way too far, to the point of dangerousness. It treated a fetus as a child, for purposes of a custody battle. And in doing so, it threatened to limit the rights of a pregnant woman to move and travel."

Whether you treat a fetus as a child or a life-form is irrelevant, it IS a life form that must have had two parents in some way - a male and a female - in order to be conceived. If find the slipping in of the abortion debate into an issue where a child has already been born to be reprensible.

For years and years and years, women have been griping about deadbeat dads - and rightfully so, I would think. Should they not be rejoicing when more and more men step up to the plate and take ownership of their fatherhood?

And again, I will remind, characterizing the quality of a relationship based on what only one of two people said about one single phone text- is just plain old silly.

Miller is going overboard here, but so is Slate in it's writing. And Sara McKenna is not innocent in this, either. And finally, this is all very, very private stuff and I wonder if our eyes should ever have seen it, to begin with.

So, those were my two cents.

It was interesting to read what other people said after I posted, but had not looked at their input yet.

The mother now has the baby back, but I agree with you on both points: I don't like the story and I like how you reminded that the way the media characterizes something is not necessarily the truth. I agree with you on that.

Miller comes off as a real prick after reading this story.

Yes, he does. But again, we do not know all of the facts. Nor should we.

If she has the baby now - that is all that matters. GOOD.

The baby needs a stabile, loving home. If the mother is providing that, and I would assume that she is very likely doing just that, then it is a win for the baby.

Looks like Karma is working here....Mr. Miller came in 6th in the skiing championship....his wife was none too happy....and neither was he.

Lowering his head, then crouching in a corner, Bode Miller lingered in the finish area after his slower-than-expected Olympic downhill run, contemplating where things might have gone wrong.

Most everyone, Miller included, thought he was the man to beat entering Sunday's race.

Most everyone, the 36-year-old American included, thought he had a realistic shot at becoming the oldest Alpine gold medalist in Winter Games history.

Didn't even come close. Failing to produce the sort of near-perfect performance he came up with in practice, Miller finished eighth in the downhill, more than a half-second slower than champion Matthias Mayer of Austria.

"This can be a tough one to swallow today, having skied so well in the training runs, and then come in and be way out of the medals," said Miller, who was born in New Hampshire and now is based in California.

I don't know if it had anything to do with karma at all. Sportlers can have incredibly bad days.

Bode Miller Surprisingly 8th in Olympic Downhill - ABC News

Yes, he is. But again, we do not know all the details.

Clearly the judge wasn't thinking. He or she just assumed that because they had a Olympic medal he was more qualified. Judges are just people. Why there are those who equate them with some magical power to be smarter or fairer I'll never know.

Oh, the judge was clearly thinking, but not in the way that most of us would find logical.

I find the case to be totally bizarre, but I would recommend not turning Miller into a monster nor McKenna into an angel. Who knows what kind of details may emerge in the next years from a story that is so private, may we never should of heard about it...

Miller was suing for custody before his wife lost their baby. His ex girlfriend says they were on and off again in a relationship. Who knows why he changed his mind about wanting a child. That's his right and we can't demonize Miller because of a judges bad decision, the case that judge was deciding was a paternity case.

Why try and make Miller out to be the bad guy here? Who knows the whole story? Was this chick a gold digger, who became pregnant against his will? And he became angry after finding out? Lashing out in the text message? Why wish that he fails at the Olympics because he is exercising his right to be a father? Bravo, he is stepping up and trying to care for his child. Maybe there are parts to this you and I have no close about, but to wish ill on him because he filed for paternity rights and a judge made a reversible decision does not mean Miller is a horrible person.

Forum List

Back