Olympic Medalist Miller, Over-reach

I wonder if this is typical or exceptional. I think women still usually get custody. The California judge was very wrong, so the NY judge changing the verdict seems a proper adjustment. There may be a trend in judges giving a father's petition for custody more thought and weight rather than automatically awarding to the mother, but I would doubt they usually go to such extremes as the California judge did. I don't know exactly what to think. I think this is an exception and that custody cases are not typically going this way, though I do think judges and the courts are trying to give equal consideration to both parents, unlike they used to do.

The NY Appeals court overturned the decision, and is sending the case back to California. Surely, California will not take the baby away from its biological mother, that would be insane if they did.

Last edited:
What a jerk.

Olympic skier Bode Miller begins latest round of bitter custody battle | Mail Online

The cross-country custody battle between Olympic gold medalist Bode Miller and his ex-Sara McKenna became so bitter that the skier decided to change the name she gave their child at birth - without her permission.

That is just one of the revelations to come out of the New York City Family Court over the past two weeks as proceedings started today that could ultimately swing custody back to 27-year-old McKenna.

Despite McKenna registering her son under his father's given name, Samuel Bode Miller-McKenna, the champion skier pointedly got permission from a Californian court to add Nathaniel as his middle name and now calls him Nate, instead of Sam, his birth name.

Well, I'm sure she's learning her lesson. I'd be tempted to go underground to get away from that jerk.

I definitely must agree with you on that one. That sounds very, very jerky of Miller. The picture of him in my mind is starting to take on more detail.

Olympic Medalist Bode Miller, gets woman (McKenna) pregnant, dumps her, marries another woman (Beck), gets her pregnant, then Beck miscarries, and he sues McKenna for custody of the child. It gets worse.....

McKenna and Miller were living in California when they were dating, but she moved to New York after he dumped her, to go to school. A judge accused her of moving to keep Miller from the child and awarded him custody!

Fortunately another court overturns that decision, but it's not over. He couldn't be bothered to go with McKenna to the ultrasound, but now wants custody.

I for one am glad that he's not doing so well in the Olympics....

Do you think he should get the child?

A woman gets pregnant in California by a famous athlete she is casually dating, decides to go to college in New York—tuition paid by the G.I. Bill—and after she moves there, before the baby is born, gets blasted by a New York judge for “her appropriation of the child while in utero,” which the judge calls “irresponsible” and “reprehensible.”

A New York appeals court has already overturned the ridiculous initial judicial order in this fight between Sara McKenna, 27, a former Marine and firefighter now attending Columbia University, and Bode Miller, 36, an Olympic skier. But the case isn’t over, and it’s the latest fascinating entry in a series of legal challenges by fathers to traditional assumptions about parental rights and child custody. The old legal problem for single mothers was deadbeat dads. The new one is fathers who are so eager to assert themselves that they run roughshod over women’s rights. As the adults clash, sometimes it even becomes hard to consider the child at the center.

Bode Miller custody battle: New York family court made a terrible ruling for women?s rights, and took fathers' rights too far.

Hi [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]

So, I read the link (Slate) and have not read anyone's postings yet - quite deliberately. I'll just give my two cents and then read what others have said.

The whole thing is disturbing, but maybe - for me - for not the same reasons as for you.

My main problem with this is that we don't have enough information. And nor should we, for this is really, really private stuff. On the basis of just one text that is a claim being made by one person, we can hardly characterize the quality of a relationship. And nor should we.

That being said, Miller sounds like a real schmuck to me. If yer gonna lay a girl and she gets pregnant, then the last thing you need to be doing is to marry another.

On the other hand, we don't know what kind of private agreements the two may have had with each other. And we shouldn't, because that's private stuff.

But my biggest problem with the slate story is this line:

"I understand that fathers have rights, and I’m all for that. But this ruling took those rights way too far, to the point of dangerousness. It treated a fetus as a child, for purposes of a custody battle. And in doing so, it threatened to limit the rights of a pregnant woman to move and travel."

Whether you treat a fetus as a child or a life-form is irrelevant, it IS a life form that must have had two parents in some way - a male and a female - in order to be conceived. If find the slipping in of the abortion debate into an issue where a child has already been born to be reprensible.

For years and years and years, women have been griping about deadbeat dads - and rightfully so, I would think. Should they not be rejoicing when more and more men step up to the plate and take ownership of their fatherhood?

And again, I will remind, characterizing the quality of a relationship based on what only one of two people said about one single phone text- is just plain old silly.

Miller is going overboard here, but so is Slate in it's writing. And Sara McKenna is not innocent in this, either. And finally, this is all very, very private stuff and I wonder if our eyes should ever have seen it, to begin with.

So, those were my two cents.

It is true that we may not have all the facts, but from what has been made public, one can make certain deductions.
Miller didn't file for custody of the baby until after his wife, Morgan, had the miscarriage. That would lead one to believe that if Morgan had been able to carry their baby to term, Miller wouldn't have been so interested in baby Samuel.

Of course, we don't know if anything the media claims was said is true, but just on the surface, as long as the mother is fit to be a parent, I believe the child belongs with the biological mother, especially since they weren't even married.

CaféAuLait;8603418 said:
She went through the pregnancy, labor and delivery alone - and he can't even be bothered to call the child by his given name.

Speaking of battles, not only can they not agree on custody, but they can't even agree on a name -- with Miller calling him Nathaniel.

His name is Samuel.

Bode Miller in custody battle over infant son | FOX Sports on MSN

She did not leave for NY until almost 8 months pregnant, he had filed for paternity before she left. So he obviously wanted something to do with his child before he was born and she was not forced to go through this along. She made the choice to leave. We don't know the whole story, but it's obvious he wanted his child given he filed for rights months for he was born. As for his name, who knows, maybe they decided on something together and or he did not agree with her choice for name. It does not make him a bad person.

According to one article, he didn't file for paternity suit until after his wife Morgan, had a miscarriage. That would lead one to think that if she had delivered him a baby, he wouldn't have cared to have custody of Samuel.

And, changing the baby's name to something other than what is in the birth certificate is not cool, regardless of whether or not he and McKenna had agreed on another name other than what she named him at birth.

Olympic Medalist Bode Miller, gets woman (McKenna) pregnant, dumps her, marries another woman (Beck), gets her pregnant, then Beck miscarries, and he sues McKenna for custody of the child. It gets worse.....

McKenna and Miller were living in California when they were dating, but she moved to New York after he dumped her, to go to school. A judge accused her of moving to keep Miller from the child and awarded him custody!

Fortunately another court overturns that decision, but it's not over. He couldn't be bothered to go with McKenna to the ultrasound, but now wants custody.

A woman gets pregnant in California by a famous athlete she is casually dating, decides to go to college in New York—tuition paid by the G.I. Bill—and after she moves there, before the baby is born, gets blasted by a New York judge for “her appropriation of the child while in utero,” which the judge calls “irresponsible” and “reprehensible.”

A New York appeals court has already overturned the ridiculous initial judicial order in this fight between Sara McKenna, 27, a former Marine and firefighter now attending Columbia University, and Bode Miller, 36, an Olympic skier. But the case isn’t over, and it’s the latest fascinating entry in a series of legal challenges by fathers to traditional assumptions about parental rights and child custody. The old legal problem for single mothers was deadbeat dads. The new one is fathers who are so eager to assert themselves that they run roughshod over women’s rights. As the adults clash, sometimes it even becomes hard to consider the child at the center.

Bode Miller custody battle: New York family court made a terrible ruling for women?s rights, and took fathers' rights too far.

Hi [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]

So, I read the link (Slate) and have not read anyone's postings yet - quite deliberately. I'll just give my two cents and then read what others have said.

The whole thing is disturbing, but maybe - for me - for not the same reasons as for you.

My main problem with this is that we don't have enough information. And nor should we, for this is really, really private stuff. On the basis of just one text that is a claim being made by one person, we can hardly characterize the quality of a relationship. And nor should we.

That being said, Miller sounds like a real schmuck to me. If yer gonna lay a girl and she gets pregnant, then the last thing you need to be doing is to marry another.

On the other hand, we don't know what kind of private agreements the two may have had with each other. And we shouldn't, because that's private stuff.

But my biggest problem with the slate story is this line:

"I understand that fathers have rights, and I’m all for that. But this ruling took those rights way too far, to the point of dangerousness. It treated a fetus as a child, for purposes of a custody battle. And in doing so, it threatened to limit the rights of a pregnant woman to move and travel."

Whether you treat a fetus as a child or a life-form is irrelevant, it IS a life form that must have had two parents in some way - a male and a female - in order to be conceived. If find the slipping in of the abortion debate into an issue where a child has already been born to be reprensible.

For years and years and years, women have been griping about deadbeat dads - and rightfully so, I would think. Should they not be rejoicing when more and more men step up to the plate and take ownership of their fatherhood?

And again, I will remind, characterizing the quality of a relationship based on what only one of two people said about one single phone text- is just plain old silly.

Miller is going overboard here, but so is Slate in it's writing. And Sara McKenna is not innocent in this, either. And finally, this is all very, very private stuff and I wonder if our eyes should ever have seen it, to begin with.

So, those were my two cents.

It is true that we may not have all the facts, but from what has been made public, one can make certain deductions.
Miller didn't file for custody of the baby until after his wife, Morgan, had the miscarriage. That would lead one to believe that if Morgan had been able to carry their baby to term, Miller wouldn't have been so interested in baby Samuel.

Of course, we don't know if anything the media claims was said is true, but just on the surface, as long as the mother is fit to be a parent, I believe the child belongs with the biological mother, especially since they weren't even married.

Sounds reasonable to me.

CaféAuLait;8603427 said:
No. It makes him a controlling dick.

To want to have a say in his sons name and joint custody of his son?

The baby's name is on the birth certificate. To call him by a different name is confusing to the child, because unless the name is legally changed to something else, it will remain Samuel.

A loving parent does not intentionally cause confusion to their child.

CaféAuLait;8603427 said:
No. It makes him a controlling dick.

To want to have a say in his sons name and joint custody of his son?

The baby's name is on the birth certificate. To call him by a different name is confusing to the child, because unless the name is legally changed to something else, it will remain Samuel.

A loving parent does not intentionally cause confusion to their child.

True.

She went through the pregnancy, labor and delivery alone - and he can't even be bothered to call the child by his given name.

Speaking of battles, not only can they not agree on custody, but they can't even agree on a name -- with Miller calling him Nathaniel.

His name is Samuel.

Bode Miller in custody battle over infant son | FOX Sports on MSN

Did he have a choice in the name of the child?
It doesn't matter, he was not married to the mother of the child....ergo, he cannot dictate what the name should be.

Did his ex-girlfriend even tell him the correct name of the child?
Okay Stat, he filed a paternity suit, surely you don't use a fictitious name on a suit.

These are details we do not know 100% for sure, just to be clear.
One can deduct from what we do know.

I find the whole thing disturbing because it brings too much of the private into the public.

Blech...
Celebrities are public figures, and their business is always made public because it brings money to Newspapers, magazines, TV, etc....many people are interested, and besides, this case will be a trend setter, we deserve to know what happens.

CaféAuLait;8603440 said:
Without the mother's knowledge or permission.

It's a dick move.

And what do you want to bet he has a son with his wife, and names that child Nate and resumes calling Samuel by his given name.

And? She named HIS son without his permission. Once the child is born it is no longer only the mothers choice. It's a life and therefore he also gets a say and was obviously trying for that input far before his son was born.

His name (Bode Miller) is not even on the birth certificate, so no, he doesn't get to dictate what the child's name is.

So, you believe that a woman, scorned by the father of her unborn child, who marries another before the child is even born, should still be given consideration on what the name of the child should be? That is utterly ridiculous.

And, even if the courts agreed with you, the name of the child is what is on the birth certificate, regardless of whether anyone likes it or not, and that is what the child should be referenced as...to not do so is confusing to the child.

Looks like Karma is working here....Mr. Miller came in 6th in the skiing championship....his wife was none too happy....and neither was he.

Lowering his head, then crouching in a corner, Bode Miller lingered in the finish area after his slower-than-expected Olympic downhill run, contemplating where things might have gone wrong.

Most everyone, Miller included, thought he was the man to beat entering Sunday's race.

Most everyone, the 36-year-old American included, thought he had a realistic shot at becoming the oldest Alpine gold medalist in Winter Games history.

Didn't even come close. Failing to produce the sort of near-perfect performance he came up with in practice, Miller finished eighth in the downhill, more than a half-second slower than champion Matthias Mayer of Austria.

"This can be a tough one to swallow today, having skied so well in the training runs, and then come in and be way out of the medals," said Miller, who was born in New Hampshire and now is based in California.

Bode Miller Surprisingly 8th in Olympic Downhill - ABC News

Bummer.

So the current wife sues her husband's ex-girlfriend for custody of her baby? Um, wait what? I've never heard of such a thing. Brings to mind Rumplestilskin. Hate second-guessing a sitting Judge, but dude!

CaféAuLait;8603445 said:
He is a jerk. You can side with him all you want, if he was pulling this shit on a family member of yours, you'd be livid.

He didn't file for shared custody. He tried (and succeeded!) to take an infant away from his mother. Class act, that.

No, he filed for joint custody, a NY judge ruled his ex was wrong for leaving the state of California and sent the case to California where they gave miller custody based on the NY judges ruling, and gave full custody to Miller. A decision which was reversed.

One could argue she is being a jerk for wanting full custody as well stripping him of his rights. The custody dispute has been settled, it is joint custody for the time being, as was petitioned for. He has the child now while his ex finishes her schooling and she says she is happy with the decision! Why are you so angry about it?

Actually, she has stated that she would be fine with joint custody, so she doesn't sound like a jerk to me. And, the child is with the mother, not with Miller, as the confusion over the name prevented them from getting the child a passport so he could go to Socchi with Miller and wife. And, the joint custody is only temporary.

So the current wife sues her husband's ex-girlfriend for custody of her baby? Um, wait what? I've never heard of such a thing. Brings to mind Rumplestilskin. Hate second-guessing a sitting Judge, but dude!

Yes, sounds kind of bizarre to me too.

CaféAuLait;8603440 said:
Without the mother's knowledge or permission.

It's a dick move.

And what do you want to bet he has a son with his wife, and names that child Nate and resumes calling Samuel by his given name.

And? She named HIS son without his permission. Once the child is born it is no longer only the mothers choice. It's a life and therefore he also gets a say and was obviously trying for that input far before his son was born.

His name (Bode Miller) is not even on the birth certificate, so no, he doesn't get to dictate what the child's name is.

So, you believe that a woman, scorned by the father of her unborn child, who marries another before the child is even born, should still be given consideration on what the name of the child should be? That is utterly ridiculous.

And, even if the courts agreed with you, the name of the child is what is on the birth certificate, regardless of whether anyone likes it or not, and that is what the child should be referenced as...to not do so is confusing to the child.

She was not scorned, she left him. She stated SHE ended the relationship ( because, gasp, HE wanted too many children!!!) and they only had sex 2, count em, 2 times. Her claims, not his.

It's utterly ridiculous to me that you base what his rights are with his child because you think he cheated on or left this chick. Miller petitioned the court to have his deceased brothers name added as his sons middle name. I agree the baby might become confused. However, no more than those parents who call there child by their real name and a nick name.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8603445 said:
He is a jerk. You can side with him all you want, if he was pulling this shit on a family member of yours, you'd be livid.

He didn't file for shared custody. He tried (and succeeded!) to take an infant away from his mother. Class act, that.

No, he filed for joint custody, a NY judge ruled his ex was wrong for leaving the state of California and sent the case to California where they gave miller custody based on the NY judges ruling, and gave full custody to Miller. A decision which was reversed.

One could argue she is being a jerk for wanting full custody as well stripping him of his rights. The custody dispute has been settled, it is joint custody for the time being, as was petitioned for. He has the child now while his ex finishes her schooling and she says she is happy with the decision! Why are you so angry about it?

Actually, she has stated that she would be fine with joint custody, so she doesn't sound like a jerk to me. And, the child is with the mother, not with Miller, as the confusion over the name prevented them from getting the child a passport so he could go to Socchi with Miller and wife. And, the joint custody is only temporary.

She first argued she would NOT be fine with joint custody and her lawyer argued such in court. My response was to the above post to point out the absurdity of saying he is a jerk for filing for joint custody.

McKenna revealed the couple had sex only twice - and that Miller failed to use protection as he assumed she was ready to get pregnant, she said.

After they met in California, they went their separate ways, and she said he was reluctant to continue a relationship because he wanted a large family, and she did not.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ound-bitter-custody-battle.html#ixzz2t2zsE1NM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...egins-latest-round-bitter-custody-battle.html

As far as the timing, he filed the suit BEFORE his wife miscarried. She lost the baby on a Saturday morning, the news reports about the paternity suits were announced as being filed the week before we announced the same morning by the media.

“Pretty hard morning. We lost the baby,” Miller’s wife, professional volleyball player Morgan Beck, typed Saturday night, mere hours after reports said her husband has filed paternity lawsuits.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/bode-miller-wife-lose-unborn-baby-article-1.1243449#ixzz2t344YcE7

On the same day Miller and Morgan Beck, a pro volleyball player, announced via Twitter that she’d miscarried the baby they were expecting in August, news broke that the downhill skier is engaged in two other custody battles.

It was pure coincidence she lost their baby the same day the media got wind of the lawsuits he had filed days before.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/bode-miller-wife-lose-unborn-baby-article-1.1243449

Last edited:

Now that he has opened this door she just needs to counter sue him for child care and abandonment. Oh, and if they were living together for more than 6 months under CA law then that made her his common law wife (if I recall correctly) which means she is entitled to alimony too.

Two can play the court games and judges usually favor the mother so I suspect that this jerk might end up losing more than he gains. With this publicity I can see one of the high profile lawyers like Allred jumping in and taking up her case pro bono.

Good enough for him, Deridio. What kind of a man would take his own baby away from it's mother? A baby needs it's mother! He isn't thinking of anyone but himself! What a selfish rascal.

Now that he has opened this door she just needs to counter sue him for child care and abandonment. Oh, and if they were living together for more than 6 months under CA law then that made her his common law wife (if I recall correctly) which means she is entitled to alimony too.

Two can play the court games and judges usually favor the mother so I suspect that this jerk might end up losing more than he gains. With this publicity I can see one of the high profile lawyers like Allred jumping in and taking up her case pro bono.

Good enough for him, Deridio. What kind of a man would take his own baby away from it's mother? A baby needs it's mother! He isn't thinking of anyone but himself! What a selfish rascal.

( emphasis added)

A baby needs his father as well, just as much as a child needs their mother. Miller filed for joint custody, not sole custody.

Statistics when fathers are absent from the home:

• 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (Source: U.S. D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census) •
90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
• 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes (Source: Center for Disease Control)
• 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes (Source: Criminal Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26, 1978.)
• 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes (Source: National Principals Report on the State of High Schools )
• 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes (Source: Rainbows for all God`s Children.)
• 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes (Source: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept 1988)
• 85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a fatherless home (Source: Fulton Co. Georgia jail populations, Texas Dept. of Corrections 1992)

http://www.mentorkidsky.org/site/files/what-do-fatherless-homes-produce2.pdf

This isn't about a selfish man or selfish woman its about what is best for the child. If a father wants to be present in their child's life and their are no concerns about abuse or issues, then joint custody should be awarded. Same for a woman, just because she gives birth does not give her superior rights. Its about the child, not about the selfishness of either parent.

This whole thread is based on a flawed OP written by someone who was ticked about a judges decision( a decision I agree was flawed given his reasoning) . And is angered by a woman who reports that Miller wanted her to abort the child but SHE also claims SHE ended the relationship (which was an on and off again relationship) because "Miller wanted too many children". Something does not pass the smell test.

McKenna revealed the couple had sex only twice - and that Miller failed to use protection as he assumed she was ready to get pregnant, she said.

After they met in California, they went their separate ways, and she said he was reluctant to continue a relationship because he wanted a large family, and she did not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ound-bitter-custody-battle.html#ixzz2t2zsE1NM

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8607090 said:

( emphasis added)

A baby needs his father as well, just as much as a child needs their mother. Miller filed for joint custody, not sole custody.

• 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (Source: U.S. D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census) •
• 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes (Source: Center for Disease Control)
• 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes (Source: Criminal Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26, 1978.)
• 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes (Source: National Principals Report on the State of High Schools )
• 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes (Source: Rainbows for all God`s Children.)
• 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes (Source: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept 1988)
• 85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a fatherless home (Source: Fulton Co. Georgia jail populations, Texas Dept. of Corrections 1992)

This isn't about a selfish man or selfish woman its about what is best for the child. If a father wants to be present in their child's life and their are no concerns about abuse or issues, then joint custody should be awarded. Same for a woman, just because she gives birth does not give her superior rights. Its about the child, not about the selfishness of either parent.

This whole thread is based on a flawed OP written by someone who was ticked about a judges decision( a decision I agree was flawed given his reasoning) . And is angered by a woman who reports that Miller wanted her to abort the child but SHE also claims SHE ended the relationship because "Miller wanted too many children". Something does not pass the smell test.

He was indeed selfish to even CONSIDER separating a baby from it's mother. I am all for fathers being treated fairly in a courtroom but this is about THE BABY! It's the baby that comes FIRST. THE BABY!!! A baby should never be separated from its mother unless the mother is unfit. This mother obviously doesn't fit that description.

CaféAuLait;8607090 said:

( emphasis added)

This whole thread is based on a flawed OP written by someone who was ticked about a judges decision( a decision I agree was flawed given his reasoning) . And is angered by a woman who reports that Miller wanted her to abort the child but SHE also claims SHE ended the relationship because "Miller wanted too many children". Something does not pass the smell test.

He was indeed selfish to even CONSIDER separating a baby from it's mother. I am all for fathers being treated fairly in a courtroom but this is about THE BABY! It's the baby that comes FIRST. THE BABY!!! A baby should never be separated from its mother unless the mother is unfit. This mother obviously doesn't fit that description.

You almost repeated what I said above verbatim. He filed for JOINT custody, he wanted to be a part of his sons life, a mother is no better than a father, period. She is the one who tried to keep him out of his sons life and said he wont see his son because she claims he wanted her to abort the child ,YET also stated she ended the relationship because Miller wanted children. A NY judge sent the case back to CA who gave temporary custody to Miller based on the NY judges decision. Read the stats I posted above about fatherless homes. A baby should never be separated from EITHER parent. A child needs both parents.

He asked for SHARED custody, not sole, she demanded sole custody. Not him.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8603614 said:
CaféAuLait;8603519 said:
Um, They never lived together, they dated sporadically and SHE left him because HE wanted a large family - HER statements ( see article BD Boop posted above). She left him and "abandoned" ( since you used the word) him for NY when she was almost 8 months pregnant after becoming pregnant in Florida and having sex only 2 times ( again her statements) HE asked her to come back before filing the paternity suit prior to the baby being born. She stated he told her in the beginning of the relationship he wanted a big family and that is why she did not want a relationship. BUT tried to strip him of that right after his son was born and even argued he should not be granted joint custody of his son.

I haven't seen this other link you are talking about but this quote says volumes about the guy in question.

In June, Miller told McKenna he wouldn’t come with her to an ultrasound because “U made this choice against my wish,” according to a text she released from him.

So he wasn't in the slightest bit interested in his own son until his latest partner wasn't able to have a child of her own. Now suddenly he switches from deadbeat dad to devoted dad?

He strikes he as the selfish sort who won't be around to see his son graduate high school let alone college. But that is just my opinion of him. There are plenty of divorced dads who are not deadbeats and who do play an active role in the lives of their children but this guy isn't one of them.

That's HER claim. She also claims that SHE left him over the fact he wanted children. A bit strange if you ask me. I'm unsure how you can argue he wasn't the slightest bit interested in his child given miller filed for paternal rights before his son was even born.

You say, "he suddenly wants to be a part of the baby's life" when in fact he petitioned for a paternity suit naming him as father to gain parental rights BEFORE his son was born. IN fact he begged her to return to California before his son was born. When she refused he filed suit to share custody after the baby's birth. She said NO, he then argued that he should not have custody because he believed that she moved to gain better rights since NY generally supports mothers over fathers and he won that suit. He was given Custody of his son shortly after his birth. Then that ruling was overturned when his son was 9 months old and his mother gained custody. They have now decided on joint custody for the time being.

As far as your other claim he was not interested in his child until his wife miscarried, he filed the paternity petition in 2012 BEFORE his new wife miscarried. The timeline in the op is off.

You apparently didn't read the article that you claim to have read!

Beck and Miller married in October 2012 and announced they were expecting a child, but Beck had a miscarriage in January.
Days after the devastating news, Miller filed court documents to gain joint custody of his son with McKenna.

Read more: Olympic skier Bode Miller begins latest round of bitter custody battle | Mail Online

Then there is this part that you also missed!

At a hearing earlier this year, the lawyer representing McKenna said it is too late for Miller to try to seek joint custody.
'If you look at the texts [messages] from Bode Miller to my client, he wanted nothing to do with the baby,' attorney Kenneth Eiges said.

Read more: Olympic skier Bode Miller begins latest round of bitter custody battle | Mail Online

Forum List

Back