OMG! Doomsday Glacier Melting

How interesting.

If I put a whole lot of ice cubes in a glass of water and watch them melt, I don't notice the water level rising.
Watch what happens when you put the cubes in a glass full of water. The water level rises. They're not afraid of floating sea ice melting, because that won't cause sea levels to rise. What they're afraid of is massive amounts of ice sliding off land. Just like the glass of water, that causes sea level rise.

What is the ideal earth climate and how much effort should man put into trying to control it?

Never has America been completely covered by glaciers. BTW, it's the "North American Continent", not the "US Continent" as you incorrectly stated. The furthest south that glaciers have gotten was only down to 37 degrees latitude, and that was way back during the Pleistocene Epoch, which was a long time ago. You must be old if it was the last time you heard, as you said.
Do some research on how Yosemite was created. It's true that America was not "covered" in glaciers but the ones that carved out Yosemite were gargantuan. Where'd they go and why did they disappear?

Do some research on how Yosemite was created. It's true that America was not "covered" in glaciers but the ones that carved out Yosemite were gargantuan. Where'd they go and why did they disappear?

Delldude (to whom I'd been responding when I wrote that) was the one who said the "US Continent" was "covered in glaciers". Yes, I know that there were glaciers in certain parts of the country, but it wasn't covered as Delldude had previously stated. Hell......I'm from Montana, and one of the major tourist attractions is (soon to be was) Glacier National Park.

Delldude (to whom I'd been responding when I wrote that) was the one who said the "US Continent" was "covered in glaciers". Yes, I know that there were glaciers in certain parts of the country, but it wasn't covered as Delldude had previously stated. Hell......I'm from Montana, and one of the major tourist attractions is (soon to be was) Glacier National Park.
The point is we have been through several global warming and cooling cycles which explains the disappearance of the enormous glaciers of the Pleistocene Era. For some reason now, the "only explanation" for glacial recession and melting is Human Caused CO2 emissions. It's fine to make that supposition but it is ridiculous to dismiss the normal warming/cooling cycles of the planet.

What they're afraid of is massive amounts of ice sliding off land.

LMFAO!!

Another one like crick. You do not seem to understand ice ages. They DIG, they dug out the Great Lakes, and they have done this to Antarctica, which is why they will never "slide" off land... because THEY ARE ALREADY WAY UNDER WATER AT THE BASE!!!

R.db19eb4ea7b7195ba0580ba3818ecaec

The point is we have been through several global warming and cooling cycles which explains the disappearance of the enormous glaciers of the Pleistocene Era.

No, that is McBullshit, Milankovitch Cycles. They are pathetically laughable. They claim the recent North american Ice Age was just 75k years old when 2.5 mile thick glacier that originated in northern canada covered Chicago until recently...

Funny, the 2.5 mile thick glacier on Antarctica yielded 800k years worth of ice core data, and the researchers think they can get more.... so it must be 75k years old if it has 800k years of ice core data, right... or McBullshit.

No, that is McBullshit, Milankovitch Cycles. They are pathetically laughable. They claim the recent North american Ice Age was just 75k years old when 2.5 mile thick glacier that originated in northern canada covered Chicago until recently...

Funny, the 2.5 mile thick glacier on Antarctica yielded 800k years worth of ice core data, and the researchers think they can get more.... so it must be 75k years old if it has 800k years of ice core data, right... or McBullshit.
You are running down a rabbit hole of one particular theory. I have no idea what McBullshit is, I do know there was a big ass glacier that carved out Yosemite that disappeared a couple million years ago without man-caused "global warming".

You are running down a rabbit hole of one particular theory. I have no idea what McBullshit is, I do know there was a big ass glacier that carved out Yosemite that disappeared a couple million years ago without man-caused "global warming".

Interesting. Got to 4000 ft.

"as well as draft maps and detailed notes he left behind, the National Park Service and USGS collaborated on producing an updated map of the extent of icefields and glaciers during the Last Glacial Maximum. In the Sierra Nevada, the Last Glacial Maximum is referred to as the Tioga glaciation and is the most recent glacial period occurring about 20,000 years ago. Previous, larger glaciations occurred many times over the past 2–3 million years"

This is McBullshit. The Dennis Quaid theory that ice ages happen in a day or two. You have to understand, North America is moving SW, away from the pole. That is why it is melting. This particular glacier appears to be isolated from the North American Ice Age, which was 30-50 million years ago until the last ice in Indiana melted 10k years ago. Map below...

R.8b2b900f78c7e01b002e10218a80cc6c

We've had a big discussion on this subject. At the core of it is how old was 2.5 mile thick glacier on Chicago recently. McBullshit says 75k years since that ice age started in Northern Canada. Greenland's ice is documented to move about a mile every thousand years. At that speed, the ice from Northern Canada wouldn't get near Chicago in 75k years. Antarctica has 2.5 mile thick glaciers and we have 800k years of ice core data from those, a bit more than 75k years....

Full debate was here...

LMFAO!!

Another one like crick. You do not seem to understand ice ages. They DIG, they dug out the Great Lakes, and they have done this to Antarctica, which is why they will never "slide" off land... because THEY ARE ALREADY WAY UNDER WATER AT THE BASE!!!

R.db19eb4ea7b7195ba0580ba3818ecaec
You are aware, are you not, that icebergs calve off glaciers all the time, which is literally ice sliding off land? When the rate of calving exceeds the rate of new ice generation, sea levels rise. How much they rise depends on how much ice is melting and how fast vs how much is being deposited back on land as snow.

When the rate of calving exceeds the rate of new ice generation, sea levels rise.

Not happening now...

Won't happen until Greenland and/or Antarctica move outside 600 miles from the pole...

Forum List

Back