🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

OMG Valerie Jarrett: Unemployment Stimulates the Economy

The Fed started the decline by shrinking the money supply by 1/3 Hoover and FDR's Soviet style Central planning economy (tax increase, government spending and regulation) gave us an economy worse than the 7 Biblical Lean Years

As you can see, in terms of the unemployment rate - that is, the percentage of the total workforce not working - the pre-WWII New Deal era saw the single largest drop in American history. Yes, I'll say that again for conservatives, just to make sure they get it: The PRE-WWII New Deal era from 1933-1940 - not the WWII era - saw the largest drop in the unemployment rate in American history. And by the way, that even includes the recession of 1937-1938.

Now, it is certainly true that the percentage drop of total unemployed was bigger in WWII than it was in the pre-WWII New Deal era. But as the data show, even by that metric, the pre-WWII New Deal era saw the second largest percentage drop in total unemployed in the 20th century, going from 12.8 million unemployed in Roosevelt's first year in office to 8.1 million unemployed at the end of his second term in 1940. That's a 36.7 percent drop - larger than the Clinton era (36.3%) and, yes conservatives, larger than the Reagan era (a mere 19%). At the absolute minimum, that would suggests the New Deal was a positive - not negative - economic force (and empirically more positive than, say, Reagan's free-market agenda).

These are the hard and fast numbers conservatives would like us all to forget with their claim that history proves massive spending packages like the New Deal will supposedly harm our economy.

The Forgotten Math: Pre-WWII New Deal Saw Biggest Drop In Unemployment Rate in American History

And you keep forgetting that your right wing austerity approach doesn't work. FDR found that out. FDR had his own right wing regressives to contend with, HERE is where that led.

The Recession of 1937–1938 was a temporary reversal of the pre-war 1933 to 1941 economic recovery from the Great Depression in the United States. Economists disagree about the causes of this downturn, but agree that government austerity reversed the recovery. wiki

You are an idiot. There are any number of fallacies in your post, starting with UE is a measure of how many people are out of work. It is not.
Second, so you mean we've been calling it The Great Depression when in fact it ought to be The Great Prosperity? So everything was actually hunky dory and all those historians are just misguided? You mean that 12% UE is acceptable, heck even desirable?

Here are some facts right wing turds always forget. FDR did not cause the Great Depression, he ENDED it. And Obama did not cause the 2008 crisis, he is making progress leading a recovery. But neither ending the Great Depression Mellon and the liquidationist cause or the current crap Bush and Paulson created end immediately.

You are an idiot. There are any number of fallacies in your post, starting with UE is a measure of how many people are out of work. It is not.

I find it ironic that you're criticizing someone else for not understanding what Unemployment is a measure of, when you've already given a completely false definition and linked to the BLS explanation which contradicted what you falsely claimed and quoted the definition which didn't say what you claimed.

I find it ironic that you're criticizing someone else for not understanding what Unemployment is a measure of, when you've already given a completely false definition and linked to the BLS explanation which contradicted what you falsely claimed and quoted the definition which didn't say what you claimed.

What fucking language is that?

I recognize the words, but......
:eusa_eh:

Context was never your strong point, eh Frank?

Oh wait, Hoover and FDR caused the Depression.

lol

The Fed started the decline by shrinking the money supply by 1/3 Hoover and FDR's Soviet style Central planning economy (tax increase, government spending and regulation) gave us an economy worse than the 7 Biblical Lean Years

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Making shit up again Frank. Try some facts instead...

usgs_line.php

Sorry Frank, FDR and the New Deal were a HUGE success.

Top Five Years for GDP Expansion:

1942, +18.5%
1941, +17.1%
1943, +16.4%
1936, +13.0%
1934, +10.9%

Top Five Years for GDP Contraction:

1932, -13.1%
1946, -10.9%
1930, -8.6%
1931, -6.5%
2009, -3.5%

Unemployment Frank? ...maybe you missed this...

The greatest yearly increase in GDP occurred during the New Deal, AND, the LARGEST DROP IN UNEPLOYMENT in America history occurred during the New Deal...

Census document HS-29 (available in PDF). Quoting directly from Census data, here are the unemployment rates and total number of official unemployed at the beginning and end of the presidential terms since the Great Depression:

ROOSEVELT PRE-WWII NEW DEAL
1932 Unemployment Rate: 23.6% (12.8 million total unemployed)
1940 Unemployment Rate: 14.6% (8.1 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: -9.0
Total unemployment percentage change: -36.7%

ROOSEVELT WWII
1941 Unemployment Rate: 9.9% (5.5 million total unemployed)
1944 Unemployment Rate: 1.2% (670,000 total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: -8.7
Total unemployment percentage change: -87.9%

TRUMAN
1945 Unemployment Rate: 1.9% (1.0 million total unemployed)
1952 Unemployment Rate: 3.0% (1.8 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: +1.1
Total unemployment percentage change: +81.0%

EISENHOWER
1953 Unemployment Rate: 2.9% (1.8 million total unemployed)
1960 Unemployment Rate: 5.5% (3.8 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: +2.6%
Total unemployment percentage change: +110.03%

KENNEDY
1961 Unemployment Rate: 6.7% (4.7 million total unemployed)
1963 Unemployment Rate: 5.7% (4.0 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: -1.0%
Total unemployment percentage change: -13.6%

JOHNSON
1964 Unemployment Rate: 5.2% (3.7 million total unemployed)
1968 Unemployment Rate: 3.6% (2.8 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: -1.6%
Total unemployment percentage change: -25.6%

NIXON
1969 Unemployment Rate: 3.5% (2.8 million total unemployed)
1974 Unemployment Rate: 5.6% (5.1 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: +2.1%
Total unemployment percentage change: +82.0%

FORD
1975 Unemployment Rate: 8.5% (7.9 million total unemployed)
1976 Unemployment Rate: 7.7% (7.4 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: -0.8%
Total unemployment percentage change: -6.6%

CARTER
1977 Unemployment Rate: 7.1% (6.9 million total unemployed)
1980 Unemployment Rate: 7.1% (7.6 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: 0.0
Total unemployment percentage change: +9.24%

REAGAN
1981 Unemployment Rate: 7.6% (8.2 million total unemployed)
1988 Unemployment Rate: 5.5% (6.7 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: -2.1%
Total unemployment percentage change: -19.0%

BUSH I
1989 Unemployment Rate: 5.3% (6.5 million total unemployed)
1992 Unemployment Rate: 7.5% (9.6 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change: +2.2
Total unemployment percentage change: +47.2%

CLINTON
1993 Unemployment Rate: 6.9% (8.9 million total unemployed)
2000 Unemployment Rate: 4.0% (5.6 million total unemployed)
Unemployment Rate Change -2.9
Total unemployment percentage change: -36.3%

As you can see, in terms of the unemployment rate - that is, the percentage of the total workforce not working - the pre-WWII New Deal era saw the single largest drop in American history. Yes, I'll say that again for conservatives, just to make sure they get it: The PRE-WWII New Deal era from 1933-1940 - not the WWII era - saw the largest drop in the unemployment rate in American history. And by the way, that even includes the recession of 1937-1938.

Now, it is certainly true that the percentage drop of total unemployed was bigger in WWII than it was in the pre-WWII New Deal era. But as the data show, even by that metric, the pre-WWII New Deal era saw the second largest percentage drop in total unemployed in the 20th century, going from 12.8 million unemployed in Roosevelt's first year in office to 8.1 million unemployed at the end of his second term in 1940. That's a 36.7 percent drop - larger than the Clinton era (36.3%) and, yes conservatives, larger than the Reagan era (a mere 19%). At the absolute minimum, that would suggests the New Deal was a positive - not negative - economic force (and empirically more positive than, say, Reagan's free-market agenda).

These are the hard and fast numbers conservatives would like us all to forget with their claim that history proves massive spending packages like the New Deal will supposedly harm our economy.

The Forgotten Math: Pre-WWII New Deal Saw Biggest Drop In Unemployment Rate in American History

And you keep forgetting that your right wing austerity approach doesn't work. FDR found that out. FDR had his own right wing regressives to contend with, HERE is where that led.

The Recession of 1937–1938 was a temporary reversal of the pre-war 1933 to 1941 economic recovery from the Great Depression in the United States. Economists disagree about the causes of this downturn, but agree that government austerity reversed the recovery. wiki

Huge Success!

ROOSEVELT PRE-WWII NEW DEAL
1932 Unemployment Rate: 23.6% (12.8 million total unemployed)
1940 Unemployment Rate: 14.6% (8.1 million total unemployed)

Unemployment Rate Change: -9.0
Total unemployment percentage change: -36.7%

Huge!

See, Frank. This proves Obama's stimulus was teh best thing that could happen. If Roosevelt's 14% unemployment was fantastic, then Obama's 9%is even better. We should be celebrating 9% unemployment like the Second Coming.

Pelosi said it, Val "Candidate #1 Jarrett said it; it's the new economic Doublespeak

I thought you'd hold out longer before being assimilated. I'm gonna miss you

That's not what she said. It's clear what she said if you're not wallowing in partisan nonsense.

What she said was that unemployment checks are stimulative, not that unemployment is stimulative. Nor did she say that unemployment checks are more stimulative than a job. You can argue whether or not she is correct but we've got to have an honest discussion. Implying that she thinks unemployment itself is stimulative is not honest and indicative of so much that is wrong in today's political discourse. (And yes, liberals do the same thing.)

This is consistent with the administration's Keynesian approach. Which has been a predictable failure.
If UE checks are stimulative why dont we really goose the economy and lay everyone off and just send UE checks?

I will try to ask you a question that requires a real human being to answer.

IF millions of people lose their jobs due to no fault of their own, and there is only 1 job opening for every 5 seeking employment, what would YOU do?

That's not what she said. It's clear what she said if you're not wallowing in partisan nonsense.

What she said was that unemployment checks are stimulative, not that unemployment is stimulative. Nor did she say that unemployment checks are more stimulative than a job. You can argue whether or not she is correct but we've got to have an honest discussion. Implying that she thinks unemployment itself is stimulative is not honest and indicative of so much that is wrong in today's political discourse. (And yes, liberals do the same thing.)

This is consistent with the administration's Keynesian approach. Which has been a predictable failure.
If UE checks are stimulative why dont we really goose the economy and lay everyone off and just send UE checks?

IF millions of people lose their jobs due to no fault of their own, and there is only 1 job opening for every 5 seeking employment, what would YOU do?

If I were a Democratic politician I would declare a crisis, offer unlimited unemployment funding, accuse my opponents of being heartless, and sail to victory.

If I had a brain I would realize that jobs are not fixed and for the right price an employer will hire additional people. I would lobby for removing price floors like min wage and balance the budget by cutting rather than raising taxes on the very people who need money to hire others. I would refrain from introducing expensive employer mandates like health iinsurance, that take away from funds necessary to hire new people. And I would support efforts to make employment a matter between employer and employee rather than subject to gov't rules or unions.

Like all Statist governments, note how FDR marks the Year Zero. They don't show how Harding, Coolidge and Mellon handled the collapse in 1920-21

Like all Statist governments, note how FDR marks the Year Zero. They don't show how Harding, Coolidge and Mellon handled the collapse in 1920-21

Different economic causes Frank. That depression in 1920 was caused by demobilization after the war. The depression in the 1930s was caused by the collapse of an asset bubble, deflation in the farm economy and policy mistakes by the Fed.

If I were a Democratic politician I would declare a crisis, offer unlimited unemployment funding, accuse my opponents of being heartless, and sail to victory.

If I had a brain I would realize that jobs are not fixed and for the right price an employer will hire additional people. I would lobby for removing price floors like min wage and balance the budget by cutting rather than raising taxes on the very people who need money to hire others. I would refrain from introducing expensive employer mandates like health iinsurance, that take away from funds necessary to hire new people. And I would support efforts to make employment a matter between employer and employee rather than subject to gov't rules or unions.

And if you were FDR at that time, you would take a modest amount of the public treasury and put people to useful work building wind rows and farm pond dams at minimum wage rather than pay them to not work. It is a sad fact that some people are so unambitious they are perfectly content to be paid not to work. But those same people doing hard labor for minimum wage are likely to take the first good permanent job they can get.

Tough love is a form of compassion.

arra2.jpg

I'll just post this and let CONZ figure it out for themselves, what the implications are.

But economic research suggests that tax cuts, though difficult for politicians to resist in election season, have limited ability to bolster the flagging economy because they are essentially a supply-side remedy for a problem caused by lack of demand.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office this year analyzed the short-term effects of 11 policy options and found that extending the tax cuts would be the least effective way to spur the economy and reduce unemployment. The report added that tax cuts for high earners would have the smallest “bang for the buck,” because wealthy Americans were more likely to save their money than spend it.

The office gave higher marks to the proposal, now embraced by President Obama, to allow small businesses to write off 100 percent of their investment costs.

Neither of those options, though, would do as much to stimulate the economy as offering direct payments to the unemployed and Social Security recipients or reducing the payroll taxes of workers, the study found. But those proposals — as well as aid to states and municipalities — are considered politically untenable with many elected officials reluctant to even utter the word “stimulus” after the $787 billion stimulus.
News Analysis - Tax Cuts May Be Good Politics but Poor Stimulus - NYTimes.com

Here contards...here's some ACTUAL NUMBERS on this issue.
How about you READ THEM BEFORE you make up your tiny little minds, huh?
http://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/documents/End-of-Great-Recession.pdf
http://wdr.doleta.gov/research/FullText_Documents/ETAOP2010-10.pdf

Who would YOU rather have living next to you?
A guy getting an unemployment check
or
An empty house with a foreclosure sign on the front?

arra2.jpg

I'll just post this and let CONZ figure it out for themselves, what the implications are.

But economic research suggests that tax cuts, though difficult for politicians to resist in election season, have limited ability to bolster the flagging economy because they are essentially a supply-side remedy for a problem caused by lack of demand.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office this year analyzed the short-term effects of 11 policy options and found that extending the tax cuts would be the least effective way to spur the economy and reduce unemployment. The report added that tax cuts for high earners would have the smallest “bang for the buck,” because wealthy Americans were more likely to save their money than spend it.

The office gave higher marks to the proposal, now embraced by President Obama, to allow small businesses to write off 100 percent of their investment costs.

Neither of those options, though, would do as much to stimulate the economy as offering direct payments to the unemployed and Social Security recipients or reducing the payroll taxes of workers, the study found. But those proposals — as well as aid to states and municipalities — are considered politically untenable with many elected officials reluctant to even utter the word “stimulus” after the $787 billion stimulus.

You understand that your "chart" is merely a restatement by the same author, Mark Zandi, whom we've already discredited as a drone? I've seen Alan Blinder's work in the WSJ op-ed and a more clueless moron would be hard to find.
there is no "stimulus" from gov't spending. Wherever the money gets spent, it has to come from somewhere else. W here do you think it comes from, the tooth fairy?

Different economic causes Frank. That depression in 1920 was caused by demobilization after the war. The depression in the 1930s was caused by the collapse of an asset bubble, deflation in the farm economy and policy mistakes by the Fed.

The depression in the 1930s was caused by an unprecedented overreach by a Federal government enamored with the State control in Stalin's USSR, Hitlers Germany and Mussolini's Italy, the collapse of an asset bubble, deflation in the farm economy and policy mistakes by the Fed.

There, fixed

arra2.jpg

Who would YOU rather have living next to you?
A guy getting an unemployment check
or
An empty house with a foreclosure sign on the front?

Which is it????
:eusa_eh:

Just as I thought.

If I were a Republican politician I would declare a crisis, offer to remove all worker's rights, lower wages and declare America is finally what conservatism's main goal has ALWAYS been: a plutocracy.

Keep licking the rich people's assholes Rabbi. It saves trees.

And if you were FDR at that time, you would take a modest amount of the public treasury and put people to useful work building wind rows and farm pond dams at minimum wage rather than pay them to not work. It is a sad fact that some people are so unambitious they are perfectly content to be paid not to work. But those same people doing hard labor for minimum wage are likely to take the first good permanent job they can get.

Tough love is a form of compassion.

FDR took 60% of the unemployed and put them to work.

To put people back to work, FDR launched a series of programs designed to protect America’s environment (through the CCC reforestation programs and creation of the shelter belt in the Midwest to bring an end to the Dust Bowl) and build America’s economic infrastructure. The most famous of these was launched seventy-six years ago today: the Works Progress Administration or WPA. Between 1935 and 1943, the WPA literally built the infrastructure of modern America, including 572,000 miles of rural roads, 67,000 miles of urban streets, 122,000 bridges, 1,000 tunnels, 1,050 fifty airfields, and 4,000 airport buildings. It also constructed 500 water treatment plants, 1,800 pumping stations, 19,700 miles of water mains, 1,500 sewage treatment plants, 24,000 miles of sewers and storm drains, 36,900 schools, 2,552 hospitals, 2,700 firehouses, and nearly 20,000 county, state, and local government buildings.

Tough love is an excuse for no love at all.

It does "stimulate" the economy more than giving more money to already rich people.

Neither one really stimulates the economy though.

Actually, this does, although not as much as actual jobs would. People with enough money to pay their bills pay them, buy food for their families, keep the tags current on their cars, etc, and all of this puts money into the economy. If they didn't have that money, a lot more people wouldn't be getting paid.

Just as I thought.

If I were a Republican politician I would declare a crisis, offer to remove all worker's rights, lower wages and declare America is finally what conservatism's main goal has ALWAYS been: a plutocracy.

Keep licking the rich people's assholes Rabbi. It saves trees.

Do you have a fucking clue? No, of course not. It's just greed and class envy on your part because your buddies who went on to college are raking in good salaries while you're stuck in a dead end job stocking shelves at the Kwky Mart. Maybe night school?

It does "stimulate" the economy more than giving more money to already rich people.

Actually, this does, although not as much as actual jobs would. People with enough money to pay their bills pay them, buy food for their families, keep the tags current on their cars, etc, and all of this puts money into the economy. If they didn't have that money, a lot more people wouldn't be getting paid.

Where do you suppose the money to pay them comes from?

Where do you suppose the money to pay them comes from?

The magic printing press just like the money to pay for the Iraq war did.

Forum List

Back