One Great Thing About This Bomb Cyclone/Hard Freeze To Come.Let's See If Electric Cars Start Up Outdoors.Then Let's See Our Leaders Explain It.

well so far we have heard stories of electric cars burning up like that elvis presely song. now we wait for the next test. Lets see if they start right up in 0, or below 0 temperatures. and maybe even some of them may catch fire? {not really sure if that can happen} but odds are, we will hear stories of many electric cars having a hard time starting up {well the ones that are outdoors}. but what about people going to work in electric cars? sure, their cars probably started up in their garages, but lets see what happens after their 8 to 10 hour work day as their cars are left outside in this vicious winter week where many major cities are in the 0 degree range. Will we hear these stories on CNN and MSNBC?
I can offer this anecdote.

For three straight days the biometric locks in my front door have failed to work because of the temperature. Not only that but the back up key is a bitch to turn because the mechanics internally are fucking frozen

Modern diesels will start in sub-zero temperatures with no issues.

Technology moves forward...........I have long argued that but some seem to think it stands still and will always stand still.

Politicizing everything is a major drag on progress. (this goes for BOTH sides).

We should both be working to solutions that get us past the 19th Century while stopping the proclamations we know is never going to happen.

Sadly we will not.
The world is not going to end in 2030. Unless the elites know something, we do not. We will move on. when we are ready.

You are on drugs.

What "collapse"? What "slaves"? These are just stupid fantasies in your head.
I many times try to throw some dry style comedy into the thread. Failing mostly. If things economically ever get like a depression, there will be people many not in a good mood. The 1930's depression was with a heartier people. Even with their views on social issues. We live in a blame game today.

The issue is not going to another power source, the issue is the politics of it. After the collapse we will have Prog slaves pulling the cars. Like horses and a stagecoach. We can brag. Yeah I got a 6 Prog slave pull. We feed em cheap insects and water.

What planet do you live on because it sure isn’t planet earth.

People have been driving EV’s in CANADA, for years and we have no problems with them catching fire or failing to start in the cold weather

You’re just looking for shit to get outraged about.

The world is not going to end in 2030. Unless the elites know something, we do not. We will move on. when we are ready.

You will never be ready to “move on”. You have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future.

If it were up to conservatives, we’d still be living in caves. There would never be social or economic progress.

Why wouldn't they run? Could you explain your theory as to why you believe they would not? All cars start using batteries.

That's not entirely true. You can push start a car (manual transmission) that has a dead battery.

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is the rating used to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. Something like your Uncle Teddy's Yugo doesn't need a lot of juice to turn over the 1.3 liter engine in it; maybe 200 CCA (if that). But your neighbor's Ford F-350, with its 6.2 liter V8, is going to need something substantially more robust. If that Yugo is left sitting for a few days in 20 degree weather, odds are it won't start without a jump from that F-350.

It's easier to start an engine in warm temperatures, and cold temperatures can drain batteries. I was shooting the Rolex 24 at Daytona about ten years ago, and it was so cold that my batteries died prematurely. What were once fully charged batteries were half drained before I ever got them into the camera. Granted, those batteries were much, much smaller than a car battery, but the theory behind why batteries drain in the cold is the same...

That's not entirely true. You can push start a car (manual transmission) that has a dead battery.

Which are no longer being manufactured any longer in any numbers to be relevant.

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is the rating used to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. Something like your Uncle Teddy's Yugo doesn't need a lot of juice to turn over the 1.3 liter engine in it; maybe 200 CCA (if that). But your neighbor's Ford F-350, with its 6.2 liter V8, is going to need something substantially more robust. If that Yugo is left sitting for a few days in 20 degree weather, odds are it won't start without a jump from that F-350.

It's easier to start an engine in warm temperatures, and cold temperatures can drain batteries. I was shooting the Rolex 24 at Daytona about ten years ago, and it was so cold that my batteries died prematurely. What were once fully charged batteries were half drained before I ever got them into the camera. Granted, those batteries were much, much smaller than a car battery, but the theory behind why batteries drain in the cold is the same...

The cars that run 24 hours at Daytona are going to hybrid combinations.

Our electic company sent out the message not to charge EV due to the extreme cold / strain on the grid.

Our electic company sent out the message not to charge EV due to the extreme cold / strain on the grid.

Ours sent out a message to disconnect your Christmas lights. Another war on Christmas I suppose.

Which are no longer being manufactured any longer in any numbers to be relevant.

I always laugh when people say something isn't relevant because it's not as common as it used to be.

My local Ford dealer has no great shortage of Mustang GT's with manual transmissions...

The cars that run 24 hours at Daytona are going to hybrid combinations.

Two things:

First, they're not, at least not in any great number. I guess you would consider that to be not "relevant", right?

Second, according to IMSA, the LMDh cars (I think one team has them entered in the upcoming race) require a larger pit box due to safety reasons. They're already down one entrant from this past January's race (from 61 to 60). If the entire field were to be all hybrids it would be much, much smaller, and that's not what fans are looking for...

I always laugh when people say something isn't relevant because it's not as common as it used to be.

My local Ford dealer has no great shortage of Mustang GT's with manual transmissions...

Two things:

First, they're not, at least not in any great number. I guess you would consider that to be not "relevant", right?

Second, according to IMSA, the LMDh cars (I think one team has them entered in the upcoming race) require a larger pit box due to safety reasons. They're already down one entrant from this past January's race (from 61 to 60). If the entire field were to be all hybrids it would be much, much smaller, and that's not what fans are looking for...

When they are winning, it is where the rest will go.

Hybrid Hat Trick: Toyota Wins the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Third Straight Year

it doesn't matter which kind of auto you have if the roads are not driveable.

Meh...

48019224571_03f4eb1387_o.jpg

Forum List

Back