One reason people are having fewer children?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
From child care to college, the high cost of having kids - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

"The Department of Agriculture estimates the average cost of raising a child born in 2012 will be $241,080, or $301,970 if you adjust for expected inflation. And, shockingly, this does not even include the cost of a college education, which currently is $22,826 for a public school or $44,750 for a private school – before the four- to five-percent annual tuition inflation hikes kick in.

Of course, the real cost depends on where you live. In rural parts of the country, you might get away with spending just $143,600, but in the high-cost Northeast, your costs might be $446,100, again according to the USDA."

When I was a kid, it was most common that families (at least in my little sphere of reality) had 4, 5 children or more. Nowadays this is pretty uncommon in many parts of the country. Is it just too expensive to have kids today? How did we get here? I have a theory, but it's not very PC.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6De7ltNWn24]Pelosi Abortion Contraception in Stimulus Package, Reduces Costs - YouTube[/ame]

Hokay. It's the other things that peeks intrest :)

In the article it points out cost and " other" costs as well, so many today don't have that problem being they are cared for by the taxpayers.

I don't necessarily buy into money having anything to do with it any more than has ever been the case

Statistically, the more educated women are, the fewer children they have. They...for some odd reason....want to control their own childbearing choices.

Statistically, the more educated women are, the fewer children they have. They...for some odd reason....want to control their own childbearing choices.

One need not possess advanced education to do that. Your conclusion is not logical.

Forum List

Back