"Only 4% Want Gun Control"

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.

Just heard Rush say that again, and I've seen and heard this "4%" thing all over the place. The other one I keep seeing is that "only 4% think that gun control is an important issue".

Okay, wow, that's a small number. So, crazy me, I thought I'd look into it.

Turns out that's not what the referenced Gallup poll says. The Beaufort Observer

The question in the poll was "What do you think is the most important problem facing America today?"

Further, only one (1) answer was allowed in the poll.

That puts a slightly different face on this.

I realize intellectual honesty is not really a high priority here, but I thought I'd toss that out.

But but but...our President Who Would Be King wants Gun Control, and he's more important than everyone else combined!

Just heard Rush say that again, and I've seen and heard this "4%" thing all over the place. The other one I keep seeing is that "only 4% think that gun control is an important issue".

Turns out that's not what the referenced Gallup poll says. The Beaufort Observer

The question in the poll was "What do you think is the most important problem facing America today?"

I realize intellectual honesty is not really a high priority here, but I thought I'd toss that out.

On the heels of a Mass shooting and only 4% think its a top priority as compared to everything else. I don't see any dishonesty.

On the heels of a Mass shooting and only 4% think its a top priority as compared to everything else. I don't see any dishonesty.

I bet more than 4% would want restrictions on pressure cookers instead of guns right now.

Maybe if we just enforced our current gun Laws instead of going after the Freedoms of Law abiding citizens there might be room for rational discussion on the subject.

I just wish obama would focus on the economy for once. Instead of social issues, but that's what you get when you elect a community organizer for president.

I just wish obama would focus on the economy for once. Instead of social issues, but that's what you get when you elect a community organizer for president.

Considering what happens when he "focuses" on an issue, we should all hope he ignores the economy.

Just sayin'.

The dishonesty is that the 4% figure has been used to state that only 4% think that increased gun control is an important issue or that want more gun control. That is false as only 4% think it is the TOP issue. You can think it is not the top issue and still think that it is important as you can think it is not the top issue and still want gun control measures increased. Truly, only the crazy think that increasing gun control is the TOP issue anyway – that’s nuts.

It is no less honest than TM’s 90% claim but still not honest.

Of course every poll right after the massacre had polling for gun control in high figures. That makes sense. Every one was in shock and despair and desperately searching for some sort of remedy.

As time has passed, more and more people began to realize what was at stake here in the broader picture.

This poll makes my point perfectly.

An Associated Press-GfK poll this month showed that 49 percent of Americans support stricter gun laws. That was down from 58 percent who said so in January.

The AP-GfK poll was conducted from April 11-15 by GfK Roper Public Affairs and Corporate Communications.

It involved landline and cellphone interviews with 1,004 randomly chosen adults and had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.9 percentage points.

Bloomberg Rips Senate For Failing To Expand Background Checks « CBS New York

Is someone going to point out the dishonesty or just make a baseless accusation?

It's dishonest to say only 4% want gun control or think gun control is an important issue. The poll was very narrow and asked what the most important issue is, and did not allow people multiple choices.

Don't see it.

Asking whats most important implies 1 issue so why would multiple choicebe allowed?

Like I said, just coming out of a mass murder and only 4% thought it was important.

Maybe some were mad that this poll didn't lead the respondents like so many do. They had the choices and only 4% agreed with Obama so to speak. When you don't LEAD the respondents you get honesty.

The bottom line is that polls don't matter, the opinions of a particular Senators voting base is what matters (to them). Thankfully America is not governed by polls, yet that fact appears to be completely lost on many.

Forum List

Back