Only a liberal school board could be this stupid...this tops anything.

8th-grader?s t-shirt with abstinence message deemed ?inappropriate? by school | Watch the video - Yahoo! News

15-year-old 8th-grader, Summer Schreiner of Cocoa, Florida proudly wore a t-shirt with a message of abstinence that she had received at a Christian conference the night before. But to her surprise she was reprimanded by Clearlake Middle School staff who said the t-shirt reading, “DON’T DRINK AND PARK…ACCIDENTS CAUSE KIDS,” was inappropriate. Schreiner said "I was pretty upset. I thought it was silly…It's not like I was wearing a curse word or anything provoking violence.” But the school asked her to change her top and wear a school issued t-shirt that read “tomorrow I will dress for success.” Schreiner’s mother, Angela Hogan said, "It was humiliating for her, because she came dressed for success." While Hogan has spoken to school administrators, they stand by their decision. Michele Irwin, the school district director of communications said, "It’s not a situation of whether or not the district agrees or disagrees with abstinence among teenagers. It's about that there’s sexual innuendo and so we believe that it violated our dress code policy."

Yet another perfect example of the idiocy of the "progressive" crowd.
Just so incredibly stupid that it is hard to believe that people can be this consumed with ideology.

All the boy has to do is say he thinks of himself as a girl and the school must accept him as that!!!

Students Who Refuse to Affirm Transgender Classmates Face Punishment | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Feb 20, 2013
By Todd Starnes
Parents across Massachusetts are upset over new rules that would not only allow transgender students to use their restrooms of their choice – but would also punish students who refuse to affirm or support their transgender classmates.

Last week the Massachusetts Department of Education issued directives for handling transgender students – including allowing them to use the bathrooms of their choice or to play on sports teams that correspond to the gender with which they identify.

Schools will now be required to accept a student’s gender identity on face value.
“A student who says she is a girl and wishes to be regarded that way throughout the school day and throughout every, or almost every, other area of her life, should be respected and treated like a girl,” the guidelines stipulate.

“The responsibility for determining a student’s gender identity rests with the student,” the guidelines dictate. “One’s gender identity is an innate, largely inflexible characteristic of each individual’s personality that is generally established by age four…As a result, the person best situated to determine a student’s gender identity is that student himself or herself.”
The new rules would also prevent teachers and administrators from telling parents with which gender their child identifies

Cool! Those boys should go in there and just whip it out right in front of the other girls. You know they want to anyway! :D

I got a feeling that eventually the girls will demand "Female Only Unisex Bathrooms" after experiencing first hand how Men behave in there and just how filthy Men's Bathrooms can be.

We all know where this is heading. Pretty soon transvestites will be declared another "protected group" like blacks and women and they will get affirmative action too. Everybody wants on the AA gravy train.

Recognizing student sex

I have never read anything so dumbass stupid in my life. :cuckoo:

The 11-page directive also urged schools to eliminate gender-based clothing and gender-based activities – like having boys and girls line up separately to leave the classroom.

Schools will now be required to accept a student’s gender identity on face value.

“A student who says she is a girl and wishes to be regarded that way throughout the school day and throughout every, or almost every, other area of her life, should be respected and treated like a girl,” the guidelines stipulate.

According to the Dept. of Education, transgender students are those whose assigned birth sex does not match their “internalized sense of their gender.”

They said gender nonconforming students “range in the ways in which they identify as male, female, some combination of both, or neither.”

“The responsibility for determining a student’s gender identity rests with the student,” the guidelines dictate. “One’s gender identity is an innate, largely inflexible characteristic of each individual’s personality that is generally established by age four…As a result, the person best situated to determine a student’s gender identity is that student himself or herself.”

Students Who Refuse to Affirm Transgender Classmates Face Punishment | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Not having read all the comments yet, it would not surprise me if they are doing this because some parents sued or threatened to sue because of their child. School boards RARELY do something like this without extreme motivation.

I guess genitals are not enough anymore..
It is now up to the obviously confused child

It should be up to the parents how a child who is uncertain about their gender identity is handled. If a male child wants to be treated as a girl, and the parents have decided to let the kid go with it, the school should respect that.

I've seen such a kid. It was weird. You would never know she was a he. When children are pre-pubescent there really are few clues to their gender identity outside of their hair and clothing.

I've seen more than one, actually.

A lot of kids go through this phase, but it is usually of very short duration.

If the story is correct as written, then I have a number of problems with it. Basically they are saying that any child can just decide if they want to act like a boy or girl, and nobody should question that. I agree that a truly transgendered child should be permitted to act and live the sex they are comfortable with, but that should only happen after a long process of medical and psychological evaluation from professionals. Secondly, allowing a child to live as a transgendered individual should not mean making others uncomfortable with the situation, meaning that things like going to the bathroom would need to be set up so that child could go to an individual bathroom or that they could go to the bathroom when no other children are using a specific bathroom.

To me, this is a lot like smoking. The smoker has the right to smoke, but that does not give the smoker the right to smoke anywhere they want if it affects the air that the non-smokers breath. While transgendered individuals should not be discriminated against, because their situation is real, we also must keep in mind the rights of everyone else. There are realistic ways to work these things out so everyone is comfortable and doesn't feel like they are being forced to accept something that doesn't seem right.

IT's okay to hate smokers though. Only group you are allowed to hate, so l iberals won't understand your argument. You should be forced to deny reality or else be sued or possibly jailed.

The only liberal school board is in Tibet, not a a one to be found in the United States.

And any student who refuses to refer to a transgendered student by the name or sex they identify with could face punishment.

For example – a fifth grade girl might feel uncomfortable using the restroom if there is an eighth grade transgendered boy in the next stall.

Under the state guidelines, the girl would have no recourse, Beckwith said.

“And if the girl continued to complain she could be subjected to discipline for not affirming that student’s gender identity choice,” he told Fox News.

Gunner Scott, of the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, praised the directive – and said punishing students who refuse to acknowledge a student’s gender identity is appropriate because it amounts to bullying.

Bullshit. It amounts to squelching the opinion of those who do not acknowledge the transgendered, to those who dare disagree.

What the hell is wrong with this world? If a kid identifies with the opposite gender they were born, peachy. Wear a skirt or a leather jacket and boots. But forcing everyone else to keep their opinions about it to themselves is crap.

And what about that 10 year old girl who finds herself in a stall next to a 13 year old boy? Tough shit for her, eh?

Transgendered kids are rare, are the minority ... but once again, the majority must just shut the hell up and not say anything because according to the left, that amounts to bullying. Bullying is the new racism I guess. Whack.

And the parents are not to be informed???? wtF? The school should butt the hell out unless someone is truly being tormented or beaten up. These issues are exactly what parents are for, NOT schools. School's need to stick the three R's and get the hell out of the way for the rest of it and parents need to step up, start parenting their kids and stop letting school's get away with crap like this.

Since the transgendered are such a minority and the education "system" does not want them "bullied", why doesn't the school allow them to use the teachers' restrooms?

It should be up to the parents how a child who is uncertain about their gender identity is handled. If a male child wants to be treated as a girl, and the parents have decided to let the kid go with it, the school should respect that.

I've seen such a kid. It was weird. You would never know she was a he. When children are pre-pubescent there really are few clues to their gender identity outside of their hair and clothing.

I've seen more than one, actually.

A lot of kids go through this phase, but it is usually of very short duration.

For many children its not a "phase".

Transgender children in America encounter new crossroads with medicine - Inside Dateline

I have seen reports about kids like the one in that story, and it is heartbreaking. I don't pretend to understand it, but I can't imagine how hard it must be for kids of that age. The mental anguish they go through must be hard enough, but then they have people like the rightwing posters on this board treating them as if they are nothing more than freaks. At the same time I'm not sure I agree with the Board of Education's solution. I'm afraid there is no simple answer to it.

Treating them like they are "normal" is a deception and setting them up to have a really, really hard time when they enter the "real" world.

Cool! Those boys should go in there and just whip it out right in front of the other girls. You know they want to anyway! :D

I got a feeling that eventually the girls will demand "Female Only Unisex Bathrooms" after experiencing first hand how Men behave in there and just how filthy Men's Bathrooms can be.

I can tell you've never had to clean a women's bathroom! :eek:

I'm sure it will entertain the boys when a girl wants to be a boy and tries to use the urinal in the bathroom.

So can boys now use the girl's bathroom in public school?
If they are willing to say to a teacher that they feel like a girl some of the time - then yes, according to the document - they could then walk into a girls bathroom.
But wait - it gets better - if one of the girls in the bathroom tells him to get out or gives him a hard time...SHE gets in trouble, not him.
That is the kind of idea that is in the brain of an American progressive.

The OP failed to provide proof that the Massachusetts Department of Education is ‘liberal.’

And rather than obtaining information about the policy from a subjective, partisan blog post, let’s review the facts of the issue:

The guidance was issued to help schools follow the state’s 2011 antidiscrimination law protecting transgender people.

‘‘These students, because of widespread misunderstanding and lack of knowledge about their lives, are at a higher risk for peer ostracism, victimization, and bullying,’’ the document read.

Mass. Education Department issues rules on transgender pupils - Metro - The Boston Globe

So the policy was developed to comply with state law, not as part of some political ‘agenda.’ And the policy is correct with regard to the ignorance of the general public concerning transgender individuals and how they can be subject to unwarranted and illegal discrimination. The policy also comports with current Constitutional case law concerning equal protection doctrine.

Indeed, we’ve seen examples of ignorance concerning transgender individuals expressed in this very thread.

So can boys now use the girl's bathroom in public school?

No.

That issue is addressed in the memorandum:

http://www.doe.mass.edu/ssce/GenderIdentity.pdf

As already noted, the number of transgender students is relatively small, and the memorandum cites examples of how schools have successfully accommodated those students. The needs of these students are addressed on a case by case basis, with parents and school officials involved in decision-making.

This is yet another non-issue; and yet another failure by the right to contrive a controversy where none exists.

Forum List

Back