Opposition to Gay Marriage - Any Basis Other Than Intolerance and Bigotry?

Well, New York has done the right thing. Which brings to mind a question.

Can any person here who is "opposed to gay marriage" come forward and justify their position on the basis of anything other than intolerance and bigotry? Seriously.

Please don't start with "the Bible does not condone same sex marriage." Perhaps it doesn't. So WHAT? Let's say the Bible contained a passage which said: "Marriage is only between a man and a woman. If thou shalt marry one of the same sex as yourself, thou shalt burn in the fiery pits of HELL!" So what? Isn't invoking the Bible just another way of shoving religion down the throats of other people? Yup. In other words, intolerance and bigotry.

No, my friends - we all know what is really involved here, don't we? I am wondering if there is anyone here who has the stones to come right out and tell it like it is: "I am opposed to same sex marriage because I hate gays everything they stand for. No other reason."

Intolerance and bigotry. There really does not seem to be any other reason.

There is a difference between being 'opposed to gay marriage' and being opposed to the government being in the business of marriage. The government has no business knowing who we love or who we trust to involve in our personal matters. Supporting gay marriage is only extending the unwarranted reach of the government. Get the government out of marriage you can marry anyone you like. I really don't give a shit.

Of course there is a difference, but you are NEVER going to get the government out of the "business" of legal marriage.

So, since we KNOW there will always be civil marriage, what viable reason is there to keep gays from this LEGAL contract?

I am a conservative and I have no problem with gay marriage. SHOCKER right.. Its their life and if they want to get married more power too them.

Not a shocker to me as I am a conservative also.
Equal rights fits right into my conservatism.
Gay marriage is a non issue for me. If anything, it benefits society.

And until your idea is reality, gays should have the same rights we do.
A state-issued marriage license is a privilege, not a right.

Were it a right, you wouldn't have to go begging to the state to get it.

Do yourself a favor and look up "license" in a legal dictionary.

Even more of a reason why it is a non issue open to any couple be they gay or straight.

No problem...

And any state sanctioned "privilege" has to be provided equally to all citizens

Of course there is a difference, but you are NEVER going to get the government out of the "business" of legal marriage.
So, you throw in the towel on getting gubmint bureaucrats out of your life and demand equality in servitude.

So, since we KNOW there will always be civil marriage, what viable reason is there to keep gays from this LEGAL contract?
Civil/common law marriages and statutory marriages are two different animals....The former involves two individuals, the latter involves the two principals and the state....Who the hell is dumb enough to want to marry the state?

No problem...

Um, no it doesn't...That's why it's a privilege.

No problem...

You are half right.
The state must show that the qualifications it sets for that privilege do not discriminate.
A law license is a privilege. The qualifications the state sets CAN NOT discriminate against certain groups of people that qualify as competent as lawyers.
So guess which tests there are for a marriage license? Health tests and genetic restrictions.
There is no evidence anywhere that gay folk are not qualified to be a married couple.

No problem...

I agree with that,...so they are changing the law as to who has the privilege.

No problem...

I agree with that,...so they are changing the law as to who has the privilege.

And the law was that it was only man and woman just like it used to also include only a man and woman of the same race.
Gay marriage is such a non issue. Time for the homophobe religous whack jobs to get over it.
Gay marriage AFFECTS NO heterosexual.

No problem...

So until a woman has the same right to marry a woman as a man does, then equality is not in place.

Who's more intolerant, the people who could really care less having the issue thrown in their face all the time, or the supporters of it that call you a bigot when you dont agree with them on it?

Can any person here who is "opposed to gay marriage" come forward and justify their position on the basis of anything other than intolerance and bigotry? Seriously.

Please don't start with "the Bible does not condone same sex marriage." Perhaps it doesn't. So WHAT? Let's say the Bible contained a passage which said: "Marriage is only between a man and a woman. If thou shalt marry one of the same sex as yourself, thou shalt burn in the fiery pits of HELL!" So what? Isn't invoking the Bible just another way of shoving religion down the throats of other people? Yup. In other words, intolerance and bigotry.

No, my friends - we all know what is really involved here, don't we? I am wondering if there is anyone here who has the stones to come right out and tell it like it is: "I am opposed to same sex marriage because I hate gays everything they stand for. No other reason."

There is a difference between being 'opposed to gay marriage' and being opposed to the government being in the business of marriage. The government has no business knowing who we love or who we trust to involve in our personal matters. Supporting gay marriage is only extending the unwarranted reach of the government. Get the government out of marriage you can marry anyone you like. I really don't give a shit.

They do have the same rights as everyone else, but you must remember, marriage is not a right, it is not in the constitution, which is why it is a states issue, not a federal one. If gays don't like the way their state does marriages, then they can either move to a state that they agree with or vote out the politicians they dont agree with and put in place some that will pass gay marriage laws within the state they reside in.
Call me intolerant all you want, to be honest I really don't fucking care. I do however care about the law and feel it should not be bent to cater to any one class of citizen, we are all equal in the eyes of the law and it's simple really, put the issue on the state ballot to be voted on, if it passes so be it, if not, then shut up and move somewhere else.

It's a states issue, not a federal one, see post above for my explanation.

No problem...

Not if you are the state......they have a little problem called the Constitution.

Regardless....marriage has been established by the courts as a RIGHT

No problem...

You are half right.
The state must show that the qualifications it sets for that privilege do not discriminate.
A law license is a privilege. The qualifications the state sets CAN NOT discriminate against certain groups of people that qualify as competent as lawyers.
So guess which tests there are for a marriage license? Health tests and genetic restrictions.
There is no evidence anywhere that gay folk are not qualified to be a married couple.

It's a ceremony and a piece of paper for petes sakes. This has nothing to do with marriage, it has everything to do with breaking down the moral fibers of our CHRISTIAN nation. It's a communist tactic and falls under numbers 16 "Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights" and 26 "Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy". You can see all of the goals by googling "1963 communist goals".

To be honest with you, I really could care less about the issue, I'm just tired of hearing about it all the time, and the biggest voices for tolerance being the most intolerant people out there.

You are half right.

It's a ceremony and a piece of paper for petes sakes. This has nothing to do with marriage, it has everything to do with breaking down the moral fibers of our CHRISTIAN nation. It's a communist tactic and falls under numbers 16 "Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights" and 26 "Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy". You can see all of the goals by googling "1963 communist goals".

What if they are gay Christians?

Forum List

Back