Oppressing lgbt

I even said I would've called this a straw man in an earlier post, but there are leftist actually confirming the belief. Of which I cited in my most recent post for you

And your initial analysis was correct. You called it before I did because you got here first, and you were correct. The OP said (twice now) that he "keeps hearing" about this, yet provided zero examples. Whelp --- you can't do that. That's arguing with oneself.

And again --- post 25 just did the same thing, with a blanket on it.

And the post you cited isn't one anyway.

I'd say it is, because it's just as much of a lack of objectivity of what I thought this OP was. I did not vote for trump, I have no desire for him to be our president...but the left has been brilliant in their demonstration of a lack of consistency, and the using whatever narrative floats their boat at any given time.

E.G. There are plenty of calls from the left of the legitimacy of this election. Weeks before the election the biggest story for the left is that trump wouldn't accept the election results if he didn't win, citing a rigged system (left now is totally against electoral college), and citing a rigged media (left all of a sudden is really concerned about fake news). Can you see why wen I read things like this, I am no longer surprised by the straw man the left is pushing?

1. "The left" isn't pushing a strawman here. The OP is.
1a "The left" is not The Borg. It does not act as a unit. You just committed the same Generalization Fallacy that 25 did.​
2.. The Electrical College is entirely irrelevant to any of this; it gets raked over the coals every four years because that's when it's in play. And again, see 1a. Same fallacy.

Bottom line continues to be, the OP constructed his premise using a strawman. And then came back and repeated it. Posting "lefties keep making this claim" doesn't make it a real event.

who on the left in this thread said that???

Zackly ----- nobody.

Ok fair enough. I do not try to generalize and apply to a group of people with any of my claims. I only found one person backing it up in this thread, and I should not take that as representation of the left.

From the direction of OPs and posts following in USMB. Yes there is a LOT of borg tendencies coming from the left for MANY Years. And a lot more borg post tendencies coming from trump fans as of recent. It's a trend I find alarming.

But from what I've heard from the left, and from what you are saying now, my next question is.. would you say that trump cares/respects more about the LGBT community than he does about women?

Since I have no info positive or negative on his LGBT stance, and since I do have an idea of how he thinks of women, I'd guess yes almost certainly. He prolly cares more about caterpillars than about women.

But that's a guess. If he detests LGBTs he hasn't said so to my knowledge. And while it's possible he's holding in something that he hasn't said, it would be astoundingly out of character to do that.

Ok cards on the table. I was just playing devils advocate there. But caterpillars over women, bit of an hyperbole, but I understand the function. That still makes me surprised coming from the left, when the republican POTUSE has been a democrat almost his whole life, supports single payer healthcare, and supports transg's rights....to oppose him in such a way the left has demonstrated...it's certainly off. What is the left so against from this guy that they are not guilty of doing themselves?

Pence has a history of making laws against the LGBT community.

I really doubt that was the reason he was chosen as his VP or that it would make enough of a direct impact on Trumps views....personal or political

Nope. Trump chose his group based on their physical appearance. He said one of his top priorities was to have people around him that looked the part, kinda like casting a movie. Considering his choices, experience or knowledge of the area they are to be in charge of doesn't count that much.

And your initial analysis was correct. You called it before I did because you got here first, and you were correct. The OP said (twice now) that he "keeps hearing" about this, yet provided zero examples. Whelp --- you can't do that. That's arguing with oneself.

I'd say it is, because it's just as much of a lack of objectivity of what I thought this OP was. I did not vote for trump, I have no desire for him to be our president...but the left has been brilliant in their demonstration of a lack of consistency, and the using whatever narrative floats their boat at any given time.

E.G. There are plenty of calls from the left of the legitimacy of this election. Weeks before the election the biggest story for the left is that trump wouldn't accept the election results if he didn't win, citing a rigged system (left now is totally against electoral college), and citing a rigged media (left all of a sudden is really concerned about fake news). Can you see why wen I read things like this, I am no longer surprised by the straw man the left is pushing?

1a "The left" is not The Borg. It does not act as a unit. You just committed the same Generalization Fallacy that 25 did.​
2.. The Electrical College is entirely irrelevant to any of this; it gets raked over the coals every four years because that's when it's in play. And again, see 1a. Same fallacy.

Bottom line continues to be, the OP constructed his premise using a strawman. And then came back and repeated it. Posting "lefties keep making this claim" doesn't make it a real event.

Zackly ----- nobody.

Ok fair enough. I do not try to generalize and apply to a group of people with any of my claims. I only found one person backing it up in this thread, and I should not take that as representation of the left.

From the direction of OPs and posts following in USMB. Yes there is a LOT of borg tendencies coming from the left for MANY Years. And a lot more borg post tendencies coming from trump fans as of recent. It's a trend I find alarming.

But from what I've heard from the left, and from what you are saying now, my next question is.. would you say that trump cares/respects more about the LGBT community than he does about women?

Since I have no info positive or negative on his LGBT stance, and since I do have an idea of how he thinks of women, I'd guess yes almost certainly. He prolly cares more about caterpillars than about women.

But that's a guess. If he detests LGBTs he hasn't said so to my knowledge. And while it's possible he's holding in something that he hasn't said, it would be astoundingly out of character to do that.

Ok cards on the table. I was just playing devils advocate there. But caterpillars over women, bit of an hyperbole, but I understand the function. That still makes me surprised coming from the left, when the republican POTUSE has been a democrat almost his whole life, supports single payer healthcare, and supports transg's rights....to oppose him in such a way the left has demonstrated...it's certainly off. What is the left so against from this guy that they are not guilty of doing themselves?

Trump's only concern is maintaining his support. He doesn't really care one way or the other about the specifics. As long as republicans let him keep the office, he will do anything they want.

Pence has a history of making laws against the LGBT community.

I really doubt that was the reason he was chosen as his VP or that it would make enough of a direct impact on Trumps views....personal or political

Nope. Trump chose his group based on their physical appearance. He said one of his top priorities was to have people around him that looked the part, kinda like casting a movie. Considering his choices, experience or knowledge of the area they are to be in charge of doesn't count that much.

....what, so our transportation cabinet was based on the fact she looked Asian?

I would've applied for that position had I known the requirements. Would've given chao a run for her money

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Last edited:
I hear all the time from the left that trump is someone who systematically oppresses the lgbt community. Thing is I've never seen anything from trump negatively talking about the lgbt community at all. So where is this coming from?

Apparently from the first line in your own OP.
Usually that's called a strawman.

A trump supporter who went to Bryn Mawr is leaving school after being harassed about supporting trump. Claims include trump systematically oppressing the lgbt community.

It's not the first time it's been claimed. Just makes no sense

Zackly ----- nobody.

Again, I'm not aware of Rump "oppressing LGBT rights". The OP's own strawman is the first I've heard of it.

Actually I'm not aware that Rump has any policies at all. I don't think he has any use for them. He's simply a con artist who pushes people's buttons for his own amusement. That's it.

And 'for me, that's a level of blatant dishonesty I find repugnant.

I hear all the time from the left that trump is someone who systematically oppresses the lgbt community. Thing is I've never seen anything from trump negatively talking about the lgbt community at all. So where is this coming from?

A trump supporter who went to Bryn Mawr is leaving school after being harassed about supporting trump. Claims include trump systematically oppressing the lgbt community.

It's not the first time it's been claimed. Just makes no sense

STILL no link. STILL "I heard about this person who....."

Sure ya did. Bring that and four bucks to a Starbucks and they might give you a coffee. :eusa_hand:

Zackly ----- nobody.

Again, I'm not aware of Rump "oppressing LGBT rights". The OP's own strawman is the first I've heard of it.

Actually I'm not aware that Rump has any policies at all. I don't think he has any use for them. He's simply a con artist who pushes people's buttons for his own amusement. That's it.

Did you find it repugnant when the left pushed the ACA and all the promises with it as truth, only to find 4 years later it has done exactly what the right said it would do. It has not only doubled the cost premiums for most families, those families have also lost a great deal of coverage. In one example I can personally cite, one of my nurses broke his hand in a softball game, and despite paying more for health insurance than he previously did, he also had to pay 10,000 out of pocket on a deductible that would have been virtually non existent pre ACA. Was the ACA not just as dishonest as what you're saying trump is dishonest about?

Zackly ----- nobody.

Did you find it repugnant when the left pushed the ACA and all the promises with it as truth, only to find 4 years later it has done exactly what the right said it would do. It has not only doubled the cost premiums for most families, those families have also lost a great deal of coverage. In one example I can personally cite, one of my nurses broke his hand in a softball game, and despite paying more for health insurance than he previously did, he also had to pay 10,000 out of pocket on a deductible that would have been virtually non existent pre ACA. Was the ACA not just as dishonest as what you're saying trump is dishonest about?

You can't compare a person with a legislative bill :lol:

But yes I've always been against ACA regardeless what the effects were going to be. That started when Romney did it in New England (when I was living there)

Don't make me bring Emily in here to back me up. She'll word you to death.

/completely offtopic

He's allied himself with the Republican Party.
No he didn't.
He has said he doesn't need the gop.

I haven't heard him say that in so many words but it does fit his M.O. for sure.
Rump has no respect for political parties or for people. He's all about Himself.

Not too much to complain about Drumplethinskin yet......he's spending more of his time pissing off everyone else.

But yes I've always been against ACA regardeless what the effects were going to be. That started when Romney did it in New England (when I was living there)

/completely offtopic

That bill is known as Obamas legacy legislation. And that comes from the left. It's called Obamacare for which Obama welcomes the nickname. So I do think it's fair to compare person with legislative bill, especially when that person has pushed so hard for it. Nor is it fair to blame Romney for that bill, especially since you could see the effects of it and still implemented it.

I also don't think I'm familiar with Emily, nor would I mind the being worded to death. Especially when I'm not 100% certain on where you stand politically. You give fairly consistent answers, of which I can't completely call BS on

/completely offtopic

That bill is known as Obamas legacy legislation. And that comes from the left. It's called Obamacare for which Obama welcomes the nickname. So I do think it's fair to compare person with legislative bill, especially when that person has pushed so hard for it. Nor is it fair to blame Romney for that bill, especially since you could see the effects of it and still implemented it.

I also don't think I'm familiar with Emily, nor would I mind the being worded to death. Especially when I'm not 100% certain on where you stand politically. You give fairly consistent answers, of which I can't completely call BS on

It may be Obama's legacy but it's anything but "left". Actually this is reminding me of a musing I just did with Emily where I noted that the "public option" device was nixed by Senator Joe LIe-bermann (Asshole-CT) because his wife, who is neck-deep in insurance company kickbacks, could see blood money coming out of her Wherever if that went through. That certainly killed any sense of "left" left.

I don't see any difference between what O'bama did and what Romney did. One's on a state level and the other federal, but the end result on the citizen is the same. But just because something comes from O'bama doesn't mean it's from the "left". Know who started Affirmative Action?

I won't quote Emily's full name because trust me she's loquacious as the day is long (or as we're at Winter Solstice time I should say as the night is long) and it's not the topic here. But she's very vocal about it.

But thanks, I do try to be consistent. Paramount for me is honesty. This has been an enjoyable exchange. :beer:

Who do you hear that from all the time? I'm thinking that you may have heard someone say it once, did what freak nutbags do..and made it universal. Trump doesn't harbor hatred for gay people. He's accepting. He is, however, the leader of the GOP. And much of his membership needs to have their bigotry addressed.

He selected a VP who wishes to oppress the LGBT community. His AG pick as well.

Last edited:

Except when people from the left are actually responding that he does systematically oppress LGBT, which has happened in this post. Then it no longer becomes a straw man

No. They aren't. You are failing to comprehend what people are saying.

Seriously the guy supports transg's going in whatever bathroom they want, where's the lefts foothold on this?

I would've called this a straw man earlier but I see there's actually people on the left in this thread saying he against LGBT...so I guess it's not much of a straw man haha

I know. I can't understand it either. But lefties keep making this claim and it doesn't make sense.

No. They don't.

Zackly ----- nobody.

You really want to discuss why liberals are not supporting Trump, don't you?

Zackly ----- nobody.

Off topic. And your take on the ACA, how it was developed, and its impact is way off. You need to get some facts.

The fear, I think, comes from the socons and the gay haters on the far right.

If Trump ignores all groups on this issue, the better.

Forum List

Back