Paint Your Wagon 1969

A western, a musical, a 3 hour incoherent mess. Clint Eastwood sings and Lee Marvin overacts.
"Incoherent mess?" What'a ya mean? It's a great movie. A wagon train of prospectors stumble upon gold so they stake their claims and mine it out and then move on, and the shenanigans during that time period ensue, especially when Ben Rumpson takes a bride. It's an epic. One of the all time greatest westerns. One of my favorites, right up there with The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Two guys marry the same woman and the whole town falls apart at the end. Maybe a coherent mess.
You make it sound as though you've never watched a fiction movie before.
That's the problem. It wasn't fiction or a western or a musical or even a slapstick comedy. It spent almost 3 hours trying to be all of those things and it didn't work. You don't have to defend a crappy movie out of loyalty to Clint Eastwood. I like most of his stuff.
It's a musical western. There have been other musical westerns on Broadway but this is probably the first time that staring roles went to 3 people that could carry a tune in bucket. However, that is exactly what the director Josh Logan wanted. Jean Seberg's voice was so bad, it was dubbed. However, I can't imagine those roles going to Howard Keel, Gordon MacRae, and Katherine Grayson.

One of the best movies ever made.
It wasn't close to being the best musical I have seen but far from the worst. Lots of people really liked it, judging from the box office and the 7 academy awards. It was fun to watch both Marvin and Eastwood playing against type. The music was excellent; can't say the same for the acting. Paint Your Wagon is certainly not in the same ballpark as Learner & Lowe's other hits, such as "My Fair Lady", "Camelot", and "Gigi". The movie was pretty corny but that was the intent. I really like two of the numbers, the theme, "Paint Your Wagon" and "Wandering Star".
I also liked They call the wind Maria.

A western, a musical, a 3 hour incoherent mess. Clint Eastwood sings and Lee Marvin overacts.
"Incoherent mess?" What'a ya mean? It's a great movie. A wagon train of prospectors stumble upon gold so they stake their claims and mine it out and then move on, and the shenanigans during that time period ensue, especially when Ben Rumpson takes a bride. It's an epic. One of the all time greatest westerns. One of my favorites, right up there with The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Two guys marry the same woman and the whole town falls apart at the end. Maybe a coherent mess.
You make it sound as though you've never watched a fiction movie before.
That's the problem. It wasn't fiction or a western or a musical or even a slapstick comedy. It spent almost 3 hours trying to be all of those things and it didn't work. You don't have to defend a crappy movie out of loyalty to Clint Eastwood. I like most of his stuff.
Well we'll just have to disagree, because it was fiction and it was a great movie, in my opinion. So you didn't like it, not a problem. I'm sure there's people that like the new Star Wars movies, and I think they suck. Bunch of CGI, rehashed, over used story line garbage.

One of the best movies ever made.
It wasn't close to being the best musical I have seen but far from the worst. Lots of people really liked it, judging from the box office and the 7 academy awards. It was fun to watch both Marvin and Eastwood playing against type. The music was excellent; can't say the same for the acting. Paint Your Wagon is certainly not in the same ballpark as Learner & Lowe's other hits, such as "My Fair Lady", "Camelot", and "Gigi". The movie was pretty corny but that was the intent. I really like two of the numbers, the theme, "Paint Your Wagon" and "Wandering Star".
I also liked They call the wind Maria.
I have never seen a Lerner & Loewe musical that didn't have at least 2 or 3 great songs. In this one it's got to be the theme song Paint Your Wagon, They Call the Wind Maris, and Wan'rin Star.

Songs
Main Title (I'm on My Way)

I Still See Elisa
1:49 · Clint Eastwood

The First Thing You Know
2:02 · Lee Marvin

Hand Me Down That Can o' Beans
2:49 · Lee Marvin, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

They Call the Wind Maria
3:37 · Harve Presnell

A Million Miles Away Behind the Door
3:23 · Anita Gordon, Anita Gordon

There's a Coach Comin' In
4:58 · Harve Presnell

Whoop-Ti-Ay! (Shivaree)

I Talk to the Trees
2:57 · Clint Eastwood

The Gospel of No Name City
1:44 · Alan Dexter

Best Things
3:33 · Clint Eastwood

Wand’rin’ Star
4:29 · Lee Marvin

Gold Fever
3:08 · Clint Eastwood

Finale
6:15 · Harve Presnell, Anita G

Attachments

• 1621486086427.jpeg
    1621486086427.jpeg
    2 KB · Views: 29
  • 1621486086448.jpeg
    1621486086448.jpeg
    1.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 1621486086469.jpeg
    1621486086469.jpeg
    1.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 1621486086512.jpeg
    1621486086512.jpeg
    1.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 1621486086490.jpeg
    1621486086490.jpeg
    1.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 1621486086533.jpeg
    1621486086533.jpeg
    1 KB · Views: 28
  • 1621486086553.jpeg
    1621486086553.jpeg
    1.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 1621486086573.jpeg
    1621486086573.jpeg
    1.5 KB · Views: 29
Surely took on one of the glaring issues of the day in the mormon church--allowing female members multiple spouses. I thought is was head and shoulders above ANYTHING that Hollyweird has produced in at least forty years.
"... it don't make sense in Iowa, but it does in California."

I don't know how anyone could not like that movie, even though Clint Eastwood himself called it a "boondoggle." It was never meant to be a serious movie. It was meant to be silly and fun, and that it was.
It was one of a couple of light movies (musicals) that were produced in the late 60s. Another being Finnegan's Rainbow. Light enjoyable fare that left the viewer with a good feeling after it was over. Purely fiction in both cases though.
Finnegans rainbow is unwatchable. Paint your Wagon still stands up today although as an 8 year old it confused me.

I had been out of the Army for a few months when I took a cute little blond by the name of Brenda to see it on a date. It was a good movie to take a chick to see.

For some reason I remember that date very well.

Surely took on one of the glaring issues of the day in the mormon church--allowing female members multiple spouses. I thought is was head and shoulders above ANYTHING that Hollyweird has produced in at least forty years.

I don't know how anyone could not like that movie, even though Clint Eastwood himself called it a "boondoggle." It was never meant to be a serious movie. It was meant to be silly and fun, and that it was.
It was one of a couple of light movies (musicals) that were produced in the late 60s. Another being Finnegan's Rainbow. Light enjoyable fare that left the viewer with a good feeling after it was over. Purely fiction in both cases though.
Finnegans rainbow is unwatchable. Paint your Wagon still stands up today although as an 8 year old it confused me.
Old Devil Moon and How are things in Glocca Morra. are good songs from Finnegans Rainbow. I can't remember why but I didn't like it that much. Did it have a sad or bittersweet ending. I like happy endings in musicals.

Old Devil Moon and How are things in Glocca Morra. are good songs from Finnegans Rainbow. I can't remember why but I didn't like it that much. Did it have a sad or bittersweet ending. I like happy endings in musicals.
It has been close to over 50 years since I saw it and I honestly can't remember. I enjoyed Petula Clark and Fred Astaire's performances. I believe Finnegan died and the leprechaun went where leprechauns go while Petula found love with the country boy in KY. I think that was the general flow and ending.

It has been close to over 50 years since I saw it and I honestly can't remember. I enjoyed Petula Clark and Fred Astaire's performances. I believe Finnegan died and the leprechaun went where leprechauns go while Petula found love with the country boy in KY. I think that was the general flow and ending.
I think I had it mixed up with another movie, Brigadoon (1954) starting Gene Kelly and Van Johnson.

I think I had it mixed up with another movie, Brigadoon (1954) starting Gene Kelly and Van Johnson.
Before my time. LOL

I just have an aversion to Irish American whimsy. And leprechauns.Tommy Steele was a big star over here but never found a film to showcase his talents. Saw him on stage in Blackpool once. Great showman.

I never cared for musicals.
When I was young I hated them. They really seemed stupid, people walking down the street and bursting out in song. A girl I dated in college was into acting and she introduce me to Broadway musicals. Actually the first Broadway musical, we saw was a movie version of "Bells are Ringing". I though it was ok but the music seem superfluous. Then "Camelot", which I thought was a bit sad but the music was nice. Then I saw the road show of, "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying", one the funniest movie I had seen in a long time with great songs . I love "Stop the World, I Want to Get Off" however I didn't like the music that much. Then came "My Fair Lady" which I saw on Broadway then the movie version, over and over. I was hooked, I loved good musicals.

Unfortunately, great Broadway musicals are very expensive compared to plays which is why we have so many more plays than musicals.

When I was young I hated them. They really seemed stupid, people walking down the street and bursting out in song. A girl I dated in college was into acting and she introduce me musicals. Actually the first Broadway musical, we saw was a movie version of "Bells are Ringing". I though it was ok but the music seem superfluous. Then "Camelot", which I thought was a bit sad but the music was nice. Then I saw the road show of, "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying", one the funniest movie I had seen in a long time with great songs . I love "Stop the World, I Want to Get Off" however I didn't like the music that much. Then came "My Fair Lady" which I saw on Broadway then the movie version, over and over. I was hooked, I love good musicals.

Unfortunately, great Broadway musicals are very expensive compared to plays which is why we have so many more plays than musicals.
I saw a live version of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and I don't think I have ever laughed as much--made me go see the film with Zero Mostel. Fiddler on the Roof was pretty good as well.

When I was young I hated them. They really seemed stupid, people walking down the street and bursting out in song. A girl I dated in college was into acting and she introduce me musicals. Actually the first Broadway musical, we saw was a movie version of "Bells are Ringing". I though it was ok but the music seem superfluous. Then "Camelot", which I thought was a bit sad but the music was nice. Then I saw the road show of, "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying", one the funniest movie I had seen in a long time with great songs . I love "Stop the World, I Want to Get Off" however I didn't like the music that much. Then came "My Fair Lady" which I saw on Broadway then the movie version, over and over. I was hooked, I love good musicals.

I saw a live version of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and I don't think I have ever laughed as much--made me go see the film with Zero Mostel. Fiddler on the Roof was pretty good as well.
It was great but I can't think of a single song from Forum that became popular which is strange for a hit Broadway Musical. However, this was more of a comedy than a musical. Zero Mostel was wonderful. His performance was better in "Fiddler on the Roof" but I like Forum is better. Maybe that's because I like musical comedies better than the serious stuff like Fiddler or "West Side Story".

I believe there has been only a few really great Broadway musical produced in the last 20 years.
  • Phantom of Opera
  • Chicago
  • Mama Mia
  • Hamilton
  • Maybe one or two others

But in 50's and 60's
  • Guys and Dolls (1955)
  • An American in Paris (1951)
  • Singin' in the Rain (1951)
  • Gentleman Prefer Blondes (1953)
  • Carmen Jones (1954)
  • A Star Is Born (1954)
  • The King and I (1956)
  • High Society (1956)
  • West Side Story (1961)
  • The Music Man (1962)
  • My Fair Lady (1964)
  • Mary Poppins (1964)
  • Oliver! (1965)
  • The Sound Of Music (1965)
  • A Hard Day's Night (1964)
  • Funny Girl (1968)
  • The Producers (1967)
  • The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg (1964)
I didn't list Paint Your Wagon because in my opinion neither the Broadway version nor the movie version quite measured up to the the above.

Last edited:
"The Sound of Music" grossed about 285 million. "Paint Your Wagon" did about 30 million. People like musicals but they don't care for western slapstick comedies that pretend to be musicals.

It was great but I can't think of a single song from Forum that became popular which is strange for a hit Broadway Musical. However, this was more of a comedy than a musical. Zero Mostel was wonderful. His performance was better in "Fiddler on the Roof" but I like Forum is better. Maybe that's because I like musical comedies better than the serious stuff like Fiddler or "West Side Story".

I believe there has been only a few really great Broadway musical produced in the last 20 years.
  • Phantom of Opera
  • Chicago
  • Mama Mia
  • Hamilton
  • Maybe one or two others

But in 50's and 60's
  • Guys and Dolls (1955)
  • An American in Paris (1951)
  • Singin' in the Rain (1951)
  • Gentleman Prefer Blondes (1953)
  • Carmen Jones (1954)
  • A Star Is Born (1954)
  • The King and I (1956)
  • High Society (1956)
  • West Side Story (1961)
  • The Music Man (1962)
  • My Fair Lady (1964)
  • Mary Poppins (1964)
  • Oliver! (1965)
  • The Sound Of Music (1965)
  • A Hard Day's Night (1964)
  • Funny Girl (1968)
  • The Producers (1967)
  • The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg (1964)
I didn't list Paint Your Wagon because in my opinion neither the Broadway version nor the movie version quite measured up to the the above.
"Comedy Tonight" was a song from "A Funny Thing...." Loved that Buster Keaton was in it.

Forum List

Back