🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Paleontologist Explains What The Fossils Really Say

That is incorrect. Geology is the science that deals with the earth's physical structure and substance, its history, and the processes that act on it. Paleontology is the branch of science concerned with fossil animals and plants.
I consider Paleontology to be a sister science since geology provides the context that fossils alone can not.

Since when do Emu's and Penguins fly?

False analysis, however the birds I mentioned have feathers for the same reason most late dinosaurs did. Temperature regulation.
False analysis since there are many types of feathers:
Contour feathers are large and stiff-vaned feathers that generally form the outer layer of a bird's feather coat. Flight feathers are the contour feathers than create the airfoil of the wing. These feathers are large in volant birds, but in penguins the “flight” feathers are reduced to tiny, scale-like structures

I consider Paleontology to be a sister science since geology provides the context that fossils alone can not.
I consider you making up definitions and pretending you didn't make a mistake when getting called on it a sign of vanity.

False analysis since there are many types of feathers:
Contour feathers are large and stiff-vaned feathers that generally form the outer layer of a bird's feather coat. Flight feathers are the contour feathers than create the airfoil of the wing. These feathers are large in volant birds, but in penguins the “flight” feathers are reduced to tiny, scale-like structures

Yes. But that is not what you said.

"Most birds preserve this multitude of types since the feathers that don't support flight are not needed on the body."

But not all birds fly. Yet, they still have feathers. And many kinds of feathers.

Ostrich_feather.jpg

f29ac729e0dd0e39b01535be1faaa83d.jpg

Common_Buzzard_Feather_%28Buteo_buteo%29.jpg

Ahhh, the "Chicken and egg" riddle. Actually, unanswerable, as it is likely there were a great many "birds" before the "first birds".

That is not how evolution works.
Still not buying Darwin's model of slight changes over long periods of time for speciation. Sorry. Fossil record doesn't support it.

Uh-huh. So you doubt everything but.....

Whatever. Because whatever you believe apparently is not science. And this is a science area.
I doubt his theory on origin of species. Works great for the evolution of finch beaks though.

Seriously, don't you think that if he knew about genetics that he might have come up with something different? Especially since he was aware of the fossil record not supporting gradual evolution leading to speciation?

It's almost as if his theory has become a dogmatic religion where no challenges are allowed.

What exactly is it that you believe I believe that is not science? These aren't my theories. Punctuated equilibrium has been around for almost 50 years. It's as much science as Darwin's theory and it actually attempts to explain why the fossil record is as we see it. Whereas Darwin punted on that. He blamed the imperfect fossil record for why his theory did not match the fossil record. Which is odd because that's like saying the thing he based his theory on is wrong. Weird.

Yes. But that is not what you said.

"Most birds preserve this multitude of types since the feathers that don't support flight are not needed on the body."

But not all birds fly. Yet, they still have feathers. And many kinds of feathers.

Ostrich_feather.jpg

f29ac729e0dd0e39b01535be1faaa83d.jpg

Common_Buzzard_Feather_%28Buteo_buteo%29.jpg
oops, a typo. I meant "the feathers that don't support flight are not needed on the body."

oops, a typo. I meant "the feathers that don't support flight are not needed on the body."

Fair enough. We all do that from time to time.

The current consensus is that feathers evolved millions of years before they were used in flight. Originally as a form of thermal regulation, then later as part of mating. It took a long time for them to evolve into a form that was on the right dinosaur for flight.

I for one always loved watching buzzards and condors in the morning standing upright and spreading their wings out wide to catch the morning sun. And later in the day they will often do the opposite, and spread their wings and face the sun. The former allows the black feathers on their back to capture the heat, warming their blood. The latter allows the wings to operate as a radiator and bleed off excess heat, as the more white underside reflects the light.

An amazing adaptation, that one will help them gain heat, and the other get rid of it. Kind of like they are a living thermos bottle.

No. I didn't see any slight changes.

How much do you think remains in the fossil record?

It takes some very specific "accidents" for creatures to fossilize. Only the very smallest of a percent ever have this happen, and the creature has to be at the right time, at the right place for this to happen.

Heck, one is the evolution of felinae and pantherinae. That divurgence was only around 10 mya, but there is almost no fossil record of it. Many still debate which came off of which, or if they are both offshoots of the predecessor animal.

Hell, even closer we know that all modern dogs evolved from the wolf. But tell me, where are all the fossils that showed this in action? Where is the "fossil record" that showed the mighty wolf transforming into the chihuahua? That was less than 9 kya, where is the fossil record?

We know it happened, show us the proof. Oh, and also the malamute, the hare dog, and the xolo. We know they all evolved from the wolf, and in the last 9,000 years.

Forum List

Back