Palestinians Discover 1,500 Year Old Christian Church, Immediatly Destroy It

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
When I was in Israel I helped sift through the remains of illegal excavations of the Temple Mount. Dirt normally removed by trough and toothbrush was removed by bulldozers by the Muslims. Ironic thing was a coin from the First Temple was found in the dirt, validating who was there first.

Palestinian Christians on Wednesday expressed anger over the way the Palestinian Authority and Hamas have handled the ancient ruins of a Byzantine church that were uncovered in Gaza City last week.

They said that bulldozers removed the antiquities and continued with their work without supervision. They accused the two big Palestinian parties of seeking to obliterate Christian history and identity in the Holy Land.

Palestinian Christians bitter over destruction of church ruins in Gaza

I've never understood how you can just "lose" a historic building or even an entire city.

Maybe one of you "experts" can explain it to me.

Seems like a total nonstory to me. They built a parking lot over King Richards tomb in England. Nobody seemed to care about that.

Seems like a total nonstory to me. They built a parking lot over King Richards tomb in England. Nobody seemed to care about that.
They didn't know it was Richard's tomb when they did it. As for the OP's assertion concerning the Palesinians....... not sure it was done on purpose or was just simple stupid or greedy expedience on the part of the contractor. When an archeological site is discovered, and reported, by a contractor the site is usually shut down until archeologists can assess the site and determine if it's a viable and valuable dig location. If it's deemed valuable then all construction is stopped until the dig can be completed, I wonder how many contractors around the world actually report finding a potential archeological site or just keep on keeping on.

a
Builders find remnants from Byzantine period in Gaza
Nidal al-Mughrabi, REUTERS

Monday, April 4, 2016 2:17:54 EDT PM

1297821423687_ORIGINAL.jpg

A man walks past ancient ruins which archaeologists say may be part of a Byzantine church or cathedral dating from around 1,500 years ago, in Gaza City April 4, 2016. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem

GAZA - Construction workers in Gaza have discovered ancient ruins that archaeologists say may be part of a Byzantine church dating from around 1,500 years ago, the Palestinian tourism and antiquities ministry said on Monday.

The findings include segments of marble pillars with ornate Corinthian capitals, one nearly three metres (yards) long, and a 90 cm (35 inch) foundation stone bearing a Greek symbol for Christ. Fifteen pieces have been uncovered, with excavations continuing.

"Our first thought is that the site is a cathedral or a church from the Byzantine period," said Jamal Abu Rida, the general director of the antiquities ministry.

"During that era, there was a great interest among the Byzantine rulers to build churches in the Gaza Strip."

Gaza was a prosperous seaport during the Roman period, with a diverse population of Greeks, Romans, Jews, Egyptians and Persians. Pagan temples were destroyed in the late 4th and early 5th centuries AD and there was widespread church-building.

That continued until the Muslim general Amr ibn al-As conquered Gaza in 637 AD, after which most of the population adopted Islam and Christian places of worship were abandoned.

"I dare say the place is of historical value," said Abu Rida, estimating the ruins to date from somewhere between 395 and the late 600s AD.

Dozens of onlookers watched on Monday as a bulldozer and a digger continued to shift earth in Palestine Square, a busy shopping district in downtown Gaza. Bystanders used their phones to take pictures and video of the archaeological pieces laid out next to the digging site.

non biased account Remnants from Byzantine period in Gaza

They didn't know it was Richard's tomb when they did it. As for the OP's assertion concerning the Palesinians....... not sure it was done on purpose or was just simple stupid or greedy expedience on the part of the contractor. When an archeological site is discovered, and reported, by a contractor the site is usually shut down until archeologists can assess the site and determine if it's a viable and valuable dig location. If it's deemed valuable then all construction is stopped until the dig can be completed, I wonder how many contractors around the world actually report finding a potential archeological site or just keep on keeping on.
Yeah the most likely scenario is that it's a bunch of construction workers who don't give a fuck. Probably trying to meet a deadline.

But put it in the right person's hands and "the Palestinians are DESTROYING CHRISTIANITY!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:"

Gee, I was aware that King Richard was the head of the Anglican Church back then, but so what? Oh, that's right - it's a 1500 year old Christian Church - that makes it fair game to you limp-wrists...got it.

Yeah the most likely scenario is that it's a bunch of construction workers who don't give a fuck. Probably trying to meet a deadline.

But put it in the right person's hands and "the Palestinians are DESTROYING CHRISTIANITY!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:"
funny actual terrorist have destroyed the temple in Palmyra and no Christians are bitching about that .

Gee, I was aware that King Richard was the head of the Anglican Church back then, but so what? Oh, that's right - it's a 1500 year old Christian Church - that makes it fair game to you limp-wrists...got it.
oh so history is gay ?

oh so history is gay ?

Nope - in this country, it's LIBERAL.

oh so history is gay ?

so you don't mind if other historical sites are destroyed only Christians ones counts .
not the most objective pov.

oh so history is gay ?

so you don't mind if other historical sites are destroyed only Christians ones counts .

Did I say that? I didn't think so. Just seems as though not one liberal gives a damn until it is a "Christian" relic destroyed. ISIS has destroyed 1000 years of artifacts over the last 4-5 years.

oh so history is gay ?

Did I say that? I didn't think so. Just seems as though not one liberal gives a damn until it is a "Christian" relic destroyed. ISIS has destroyed 1000 years of artifacts over the last 4-5 years.
golly beav! I said that before you jumped in.

When I was in Israel I helped sift through the remains of illegal excavations of the Temple Mount. Dirt normally removed by trough and toothbrush was removed by bulldozers by the Muslims. Ironic thing was a coin from the First Temple was found in the dirt, validating who was there first.

Palestinian Christians on Wednesday expressed anger over the way the Palestinian Authority and Hamas have handled the ancient ruins of a Byzantine church that were uncovered in Gaza City last week.

They said that bulldozers removed the antiquities and continued with their work without supervision. They accused the two big Palestinian parties of seeking to obliterate Christian history and identity in the Holy Land.

Palestinian Christians bitter over destruction of church ruins in Gaza
what Israel needs to do is keep you Fundy American goy out of Israel, who misinforms and tries to foment trouble , lying for your pagan man god jesus

Forum List

Back