Parents: How Would You React?

How Would You React?

• Total voters
We pretty much allow our kids to have a real look-see at the world. I personally wouldn't have a problem if they were to have a similar experience at that age.

However, it would have been best had Swagger taken the time to get to know his neighbors. The only response he should have had to their objections is to apologize profusely for his mistake.

As far as this episode damaging the kid's for life? That is ridiculous and worthy of most of the mocking it has received.

It's not anyones else's right to teach the kids to dress out a kill?

okay, so all you liberal tree hugging save the whale from the drive through sorts are going to rush on out tommorrow to show your kids how squab is perpared in the field right?

now i'm not usually a bettin' man, but i'll wager the majority of you doing so are about the same odds as Rush Limpbhag bringing Sandra Fluke to a sreaming orgasm in the rose garden on CNN

~S~

okay, so all you liberal tree hugging save the whale from the drive through sorts are going to rush on out tommorrow to show your kids how squab is perpared in the field right?

now i'm not usually a bettin' man, but i'll wager the majority of you doing so are about the same odds as Rush Limpbhag bringing Sandra Fluke to a sreaming orgasm in the rose garden on CNN

~S~

I have to admit that someone would have to show me how first.

But then, I wasn't complaining and I'm not a "liberal tree hugging save the whale from the drive through sort".

Immie

I thought you were and asshole before and an asshole now. No difference!

Yesterday morning I took my .22 rimfire out to some local farmland where I have permission to shoot small game. I had a good day and brought back four pigeons and five rabbits. In the early evening next door's kids were playing in their garden while I was skinning and plucking what I'd shot. My neighbour's boundry is a flimsey trellis with vines woven through the woodwook. On the other side the children (all aged around 8-10) had noticed what I was doing and took an interest; though showed no sign of revulsion. They asked me if what I was skinning was real. At this point I realised this was an opportunity to impart valuable a lesson upon my young audience. I confirmed what I was handling was real and that I'd shot them. I followed that by asking them if they knew where the meat they ate came from. They were unsure. I informed them it most likely came from a farm via an abbatoir, and I didn't pull any punches. I told them how the meat they saw on their table was killed and processed. I also showed them the organs I'd removed from the carcasses. I then showed them the gun and how it works. They were enthralled. Towards the end of my ad-hoc lecture their childminder called them away. After they'd gone inside she approached the fence and informed me that it's irresponsible to expose children to the stark reality of how meat ends-up on their table. I told her she was being absurd and it was genuinely irresponsible to shield children from the facts, however grissly.

I kind of expected a reaction from our neighbours over what had transpired and I was proven right. At around 8 o'clock both parents knocked on our door. To cut a long story short they weren't overly objective to what their children had been told and seen, but said they'd prefer it if I'd send their curious kids away in future.

Now, I realised what I'd done would provoke a reaction of sorts, and I affirmed that I believed what their kids had seen was a positive experience. To their credit they were polite, but replied with equal conviction that they believed it was innapropriate, although by then I was growing irritable at their naivity. I reinforced my position by reminding them I was at liberty to do whatever I pleased within my own property as long as it's within the law: it isn't illegal to eviscerate a dead animal. We parted on civil terms. But this whole episode got me thinking over whether or not my neighnours' mentality presides among the majority: meat comes from a little plastic tray wrapped in polythene. And should we allow that way of thinking/naivity to continue by 'protecting' them from the ugly facts/reality. I say that it should be impressed upon them from infancy how the meat they enjoy arrives on their table. What about you?

I thought you were and asshole before and an asshole now. No difference!

Yesterday morning I took my .22 rimfire out to some local farmland where I have permission to shoot small game. I had a good day and brought back four pigeons and five rabbits. In the early evening next door's kids were playing in their garden while I was skinning and plucking what I'd shot. My neighbour's boundry is a flimsey trellis with vines woven through the woodwook. On the other side the children (all aged around 8-10) had noticed what I was doing and took an interest; though showed no sign of revulsion. They asked me if what I was skinning was real. At this point I realised this was an opportunity to impart valuable a lesson upon my young audience. I confirmed what I was handling was real and that I'd shot them. I followed that by asking them if they knew where the meat they ate came from. They were unsure. I informed them it most likely came from a farm via an abbatoir, and I didn't pull any punches. I told them how the meat they saw on their table was killed and processed. I also showed them the organs I'd removed from the carcasses. I then showed them the gun and how it works. They were enthralled. Towards the end of my ad-hoc lecture their childminder called them away. After they'd gone inside she approached the fence and informed me that it's irresponsible to expose children to the stark reality of how meat ends-up on their table. I told her she was being absurd and it was genuinely irresponsible to shield children from the facts, however grissly.

I kind of expected a reaction from our neighbours over what had transpired and I was proven right. At around 8 o'clock both parents knocked on our door. To cut a long story short they weren't overly objective to what their children had been told and seen, but said they'd prefer it if I'd send their curious kids away in future.

Now, I realised what I'd done would provoke a reaction of sorts, and I affirmed that I believed what their kids had seen was a positive experience. To their credit they were polite, but replied with equal conviction that they believed it was innapropriate, although by then I was growing irritable at their naivity. I reinforced my position by reminding them I was at liberty to do whatever I pleased within my own property as long as it's within the law: it isn't illegal to eviscerate a dead animal. We parted on civil terms. But this whole episode got me thinking over whether or not my neighnours' mentality presides among the majority: meat comes from a little plastic tray wrapped in polythene. And should we allow that way of thinking/naivity to continue by 'protecting' them from the ugly facts/reality. I say that it should be impressed upon them from infancy how the meat they enjoy arrives on their table. What about you?

Pay him no heed. He's just sore over our past disagreements, where he's been overwhelmed intellectually and treated with the contempt he deserves.

BTW, it took immense self-constraint for me not to poke at TM and post a pic of Vietnamese preparing dog for consumption.:D

One with a black and white coat about the size of her avatar?

Are you trying to tramatize(sic) her? Wouldn't that be cruel?

Wait, I'm going to look for just that picture. :badgrin:

Immie

~S~

But then, I wasn't complaining and I'm not a "liberal tree hugging save the whale from the drive through sort".

Immie

two points here Immie

first, you being an adult can't dress out a kill makes my point........, off it's 'effin head , wipe it's a*S , and throw it on the grill 'k?

second, you bought tagging 'liberal' to the issue here

well i'm a liberal, and i'm proud of it

but i'm kind of a redneck earthy liberal

you see, in this day and age where everyone's socially engineered to play the label game i baited the post purposely

I'd dress out just about anything , license, season or not, if my kids were hungry

~S~

I'll fess up to the 'undecided' vote.
:cool:

Only because I thought you took it a couple steps too far, in that instead of simply answering the questions they asked of you.......you pulled it across the parents' line by asking them questions and furthering the teaching opportunity into an area that should have been the kids' parents' place.

(not saying that there is a similarity, but) The parents can view it as an intrusion.
They may wonder, "What if the children had asked about "the birds and the bees"?

It's cool that you hunt and you hunt for your own consumption, not just sport.
I also think it was nice of you to instruct the younger generation.

But I can also see the validity of the other parents' objections.

:cool:

27532_112459192110725_594_n.jpg

A kid has to EAT you know!

~S~

Immie

two points here Immie

first, you being an adult can't dress out a kill makes my point........, off it's 'effin head , wipe it's a*S , and throw it on the grill 'k?

second, you bought tagging 'liberal' to the issue here

well i'm a liberal, and i'm proud of it

but i'm kind of a redneck earthy liberal

you see, in this day and age where everyone's socially engineered to play the label game i baited the post purposely

I'd dress out just about anything , license, season or not, if my kids were hungry

~S~

Wait a minute here, YOU'RE the one that brought liberal up not me. :D

There's nothing wrong with being "liberal" just as there's nothing wrong with being conservative. It is the extremes on either side that I have the problem with.

And besides, there is more to dressing a kill than removing its head, wiping its butt and throwing it on the grill. Even I know that!!

Immie

Last edited:
I've got to admit, Swaggert, I'm impressed that you fought bunnies and doves with a gun and emerged unscathed.

Though I seriously doubt that you weren't in your back yard eating their hearts in front of the children.

this is what i love about the south....

no one reacts this way except the flatlanders.....you were skinning rabbits....dont you wish you had time to show them how to handle the pelts?

so much to learn.....no one wants to learn it....how to do things without a smart phone

OH horseshit. Come to the swamps and we'll talk :badgrin: You hillbilly:razz:

Look I know you think you are being all freedomy and shit but listen for a damned minute.

Children who are raised with hunting absorb this information slowly and by increments they can understand.

He took children he DID NOT KNOW VERY WELL and exposed them to concepts all at once that will be SEARED into their brains now.

This type of incident ALL AT ONCE can cause TOO much of an impression on a young child and TRIGGER a fascination with death and dismemberment.

That is a VERY serious thing to do to a child.

He may have just created a LFETIME problem for one of these children.

"Story at 11."

Kids see animals splayed out on the road all the time. Get over your silly cannabis reeking stupid assed self.

Last edited:
I have, on my cedar chest, a rabbit skin. It has autographs on the tanned side of it. When my son was 11 he went to church camp. That week, they were taught how to shoot rabits and tan the skins. Each of them brought home a tanned rabbit hide with their friends' autographs on it. My child did not grow up to be an ax murderer. Nor did he ever torture animals. Some of you need to get out once in a while.

I'm glad they got to do that. My husband had died in the January before, and so there was no one to teach him how to kill and dress animals. We lived in the country until he was in middle school, then we moved to Nashville. He likes all the 'country boy' things he did before then. I'm glad my children got to live the 'country life' as long as they did. I envy my mother who lived in the country for 89 years!

Forum List

Back