Parkland was over 6 months ago

School Safety is lumped in with Gun Control...the 2nd amendment if you
prefer. It's like Immigration. It's too hot of a political topic for anybody
to want to solve it.

Take school safety. Many new rules have been proposed and introduced
to protect our students. Well, those cost money. So what did we see a wave
of a few months ago. Teachers in multiple states going on strike for more
money. How much property taxes do home owners have to endure?

I really believe if the GOP proposed to outlaw all weapons the Libs would vote
against it, to maintain the political talking point.

We're just waiting for more students to be killed and the same talking points
used again. They don't give a shit how many kids are killed.

Parkland had armed security, how they workout?
They hid. Worked out great for you.
Yes armed security hides or gets shot.
Exactly. Armed security will do nothing against a shooter with half a brain.

Obviously, if there is a security guard and someone wants to shoot up the school...who will they shoot first? They will hide the rifle out of sight, walk up to the guard, pull out a hand gun and blow his/her head off. Problem solved - he now has the run of the place.

And leaving the security 'plain-clothed' won't work. The students will quickly figure out what he is since he is not a teacher and he is not cleaning/doing paperwork.

The ONLY way security would work would be to have a minimum of two guards in every, single school. And with about 130,000 public/private elementary schools in America - that equals (if the guards get about $50K a year) $6.5 billion dollars JUST for armed guards in schools.

Fast Facts

And even then, 2 guards would not have stopped Columbine (where there were two shooters). Then you would need three guards to guard against two shooters.

Security guards are NOT the answer...something else needs to be done.

Well the flip side is you idiot loons want to arm school children with cans of corn and teachers with mini baseball bats ...how fucking stupid is that?
It’s interesting that no other country I know of has regular school shootings. Wonder why? What do they have that we don’t?

Generally, they have massive amounts of other crime, like in Mexico.....Or in Africa......

Europe is about to face a real problem because their social welfare states have reached the point where they can no longer raise young males to be adult men....that and social media over there will increase the violence problem they are already facing...

There are never school shootings at schools in the American Ghetto. These institutions ALREADY have metal detectors to protect their pupils.

IMHO, metal detectors, shakedowns of the school, body cavity searches can and should be instituted in all government schools to protect these young people as well as prepare them for adulthood if they end up in the can.

The only thing that is going to stop school shootings is preventing people with guns from walking into a school.

It ain't rocket science

Last edited:
There is a doc on UK TV right now and its quite harrowing to watch. Not just the events themselves but the aftermath and the horrific way these children were treated.

It seems like a long time ago and ,of course,there have been other mass shootings since then, There seems to be a school shooting every week.

Following the shooting Pres Trump said this:
Statement by President Trump on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida | The White House

I want to speak now directly to America’s children, especially those who feel lost, alone, confused or even scared: I want you to know that you are never alone and you never will be. You have people who care about you, who love you, and who will do anything at all to protect you. If you need help, turn to a teacher, a family member, a local police officer, or a faith leader. Answer hate with love; answer cruelty with kindness.

We must also work together to create a culture in our country that embraces the dignity of life, that creates deep and meaningful human connections, and that turns classmates and colleagues into friends and neighbors.

Our administration is working closely with local authorities to investigate the shooting and learn everything we can. We are committed to working with state and local leaders to help secure our schools, and tackle the difficult issue of mental health.

Later this month, I will be meeting with the nation’s governors and attorney generals, where making our schools and our children safer will be our top priority. It is not enough to simply take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference. We must actually make that difference.

I just wonder what measures have been put in place to prevent another Parkland ?
None.

Nor will there be.
It looks like you are right. There is a yawning gap between Trumps promises and what he has done. I am not singling him out on this because Americas politicians have failed their children. But I dont think he has any right to comment when the next atrocity happens.
Trump couldn't care less.

There is a doc on UK TV right now and its quite harrowing to watch. Not just the events themselves but the aftermath and the horrific way these children were treated.

It seems like a long time ago and ,of course,there have been other mass shootings since then, There seems to be a school shooting every week.

Following the shooting Pres Trump said this:
Statement by President Trump on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida | The White House

I want to speak now directly to America’s children, especially those who feel lost, alone, confused or even scared: I want you to know that you are never alone and you never will be. You have people who care about you, who love you, and who will do anything at all to protect you. If you need help, turn to a teacher, a family member, a local police officer, or a faith leader. Answer hate with love; answer cruelty with kindness.

We must also work together to create a culture in our country that embraces the dignity of life, that creates deep and meaningful human connections, and that turns classmates and colleagues into friends and neighbors.

Our administration is working closely with local authorities to investigate the shooting and learn everything we can. We are committed to working with state and local leaders to help secure our schools, and tackle the difficult issue of mental health.

Later this month, I will be meeting with the nation’s governors and attorney generals, where making our schools and our children safer will be our top priority. It is not enough to simply take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference. We must actually make that difference.

I just wonder what measures have been put in place to prevent another Parkland ?
None.

Nor will there be.
It looks like you are right. There is a yawning gap between Trumps promises and what he has done. I am not singling him out on this because Americas politicians have failed their children. But I dont think he has any right to comment when the next atrocity happens.
Trump couldn't care less.

Neither do your ilk. Dead kids equal “thank you” on USMB to you and your type. Stop acting like it’s even an issue to you.

They hid. Worked out great for you.
Yes armed security hides or gets shot.
Exactly. Armed security will do nothing against a shooter with half a brain.

Obviously, if there is a security guard and someone wants to shoot up the school...who will they shoot first? They will hide the rifle out of sight, walk up to the guard, pull out a hand gun and blow his/her head off. Problem solved - he now has the run of the place.

And leaving the security 'plain-clothed' won't work. The students will quickly figure out what he is since he is not a teacher and he is not cleaning/doing paperwork.

The ONLY way security would work would be to have a minimum of two guards in every, single school. And with about 130,000 public/private elementary schools in America - that equals (if the guards get about $50K a year) $6.5 billion dollars JUST for armed guards in schools.

Fast Facts

And even then, 2 guards would not have stopped Columbine (where there were two shooters). Then you would need three guards to guard against two shooters.

Security guards are NOT the answer...something else needs to be done.

Well the flip side is you idiot loons want to arm school children with cans of corn and teachers with mini baseball bats ...how fucking stupid is that?
It’s interesting that no other country I know of has regular school shootings. Wonder why? What do they have that we don’t?

A second amendment that was clearly designed ONLY for the militia...but gun bunnies have deliberately misinterpreted it to mean every schmuck should be able to own a gun to make up for being poor and/or lonely and/or stupid and/or emotionally retarded.
I have never knowingly met a gun bunny who was not AT LEAST one of those four things.

Hi! You just met one. I have to say you seem to carry quite a mean spirited and hyperbolic attitude towards gun owners, which are currently a minority 37%, but estimated to be a majority in the next 10 years or so. It's a right guaranteed in the constitution, so I don't see how this type of baseless attitude is really helping your cause. I own firearms and use them primarily for hunting, sport shooting and protection, pretty much in that order. I don't consider myself a crackpot - I respect firearms and use them responsibly. I also understand mass shootings are definitely a problem in this country and the way we handle mental health problems is a travesty that needs to be addressed. Background checks could be made more thorough and I wouldn't complain, but banning firearms outright is a rash and irresponsible decision that I would never go along with.

The 'slippery slope' argument when it comes to rights will always be a valid argument to me.

to want to solve it.

Its a shame that it has become party political. You would expect both sides to agree that safe schools is a "good thing".
The US is the richest country in the world, you would also expect the money to be there somewhere.

A lot of school districts have hired armed guards and installed metal detectors and other security measures. A lot of schools had such security provisions BEFORE Parkland, and the numbers are increasing exponentially.

I don't see what these basic measures can't be successful, and why they would be "controversial" in the least.

Already, America protects its federal office buildings with searches and wanting, body cavity searches, etc. Why are Government School Students less valuable to the powers that be than Bureaucrats in federal buildings, and Child Molesters in the can?
More frivolous gun control laws is a solution to nothing...

The only thing that is going to stop school shootings is preventing people with guns from walking into a school.

It ain't rocket science
Reducing the number of guns on the streets would help

Universal background checks would help
Requiring all purchases be subject to back ground checks would help
Outlawing future sales of assault weapons (and possibly even magazine fed semi-auto weapons) would help

Nothing is going to stop it.

But minimizing it sure would be a good thing

It ain't rocket science

Outlawing future sales of assault weapons (and possibly even magazine fed semi-auto weapons) would help

I just told you how to stop school shootings

Do not let anyone with a gun into the school and VOILA no more school shootings.

And you don't realize that there is no such thing as a civilian assault rifle do you?

So just be honest and say you want to ban semiautomatic rifles

to want to solve it.

Its a shame that it has become party political. You would expect both sides to agree that safe schools is a "good thing".
The US is the richest country in the world, you would also expect the money to be there somewhere.

All the excess money has been used on the bums in this country.

It's used as political clout...a way of purchasing votes. Once you give something to people, they want more. And they have to be given more
or they won't vote. I don't know who is extorting who...The Government
over the people or the people over the government.

All of my Grandparents, on both sides of the family immigrated to this
country from Italy. They had nothing but their belongings that they carried.
There were no hand-outs. They helped each other or sometimes a church
would help. They came for opportunity. Now, folks come to accept hand-outs. And the country gives it to them.

Sorry state of affairs.

It ain't rocket science

Universal background checks do nothing. Criminals get their guns by stealing them, or through straw purchases....that means that current federal background checks don't stop them which means that Universal background checks won't stop them either......

Criminals do not go through background checks for their illegal guns, and mass shooters can pass background checks....so again, you have nothing.

Yes...thank you for telling us your true agenda.....essentially banning all guns. Do you even understand that there are about 8 million AR-15s in private hands with even more semi auto rifles and shotguns in private hands.....and they are used in a tiny number of crimes? Do you understand that more people are killed by lawn mowers every single year than are killed by semi auto rifles in mass public shootings?

You don't understand the issue, you are just squawking the last anti gun talking point you heard on t.v........please, learn something before you post.

It ain't rocket science

Do you understand that this has no basis in truth, facts or reality?

You have to reduce the number of criminals doing the shooting....the ones democrats, like yourself, keep letting out on bail and out of jail, over and over again, the ones actually shooting people...until you lock them up, you won't effect the crime rate in democrat controlled cities.

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17.25 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

to want to solve it.

Moron, we both want safe schools, but the democrats don't want to do what is necessary to get safe schools.

It ain't rocket science

Do you understand that this has no basis in truth, facts or reality?

You have to reduce the number of criminals doing the shooting....the ones democrats, like yourself, keep letting out on bail and out of jail, over and over again, the ones actually shooting people...until you lock them up, you won't effect the crime rate in democrat controlled cities.

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17.25 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.
Bullshit. Criminals always exist. A criminal with a gun is far more dangerous than one without.

Statistics bear that out. Countries with fewer guns have fewer murders. All around the world

ANd if firearm homicides...there apparently isn't the "need" (your logic not mine) for guns

In point of fact the cocaine epidemic of the 80s fueled that homicide rate. And as that abated so did homicides

Forum List

Back