Penn and Teller on vaccination

I've always found a strange similarity between conspiracy theories and religion.

They're both sets of completely firm and immovable beliefs based on little or no actual evidence.

They're both simple "answers" to questions that are unanswerable or complicated.

They're both crutches.

Spirituality is a different playing field. For you to judge others upon things that you don't understand only speaks to your pretentious nature. Naturally, you've then made a false correlation between religion and conspiracy theories. Frankly, such theories often regard terrible outcomes that are often at least partially explained by circumstantial or direct, but buried evidence.

You clearly would rather engage in a round about (or direct) ad hominem attack(s) than to regard the lies and the deceit of those factions that you support.

Wait a minute, so vaccines can't cause Autism because the Diphtheria Epidemic of the 20's has passed? I'm not following them. :confused:

In the video Penn and Teller say that Autism rates are 1 in 120 but since then they have since risen to 1 in 50. Why have they gone up? And why is Autism almost unknown in Amish communities? Hint: No GMO or Vaccinations.

Autism rates according to "Autism Speaks":
1975: 1 in 5000
2009: 1 in 110

FDA Admits In Court Vaccines STILL Contain Mercury:
FDA admits in court case that vaccines still contain mercury

Oh didn't Fox or MSNBC mention that?

It's not 1 50 now. That's BS. And it's easy to jump the gun on a conclusion based on the Amish. But, I'd venture that there are other potential aspects to the Amish lifestyle. They stay away from cars, computer, cel phones, various drugs, etc. Thus, there toxin levels and potential for genetic mutations is much lower besides the vaccination angle.

They are entertainers. They have just as much right to free speech as anybody else but only the left seems to take celebrity opinions seriously. Maybe it's the constant outrage manufactured by the tax exempt Media Matters that causes the left to be constantly unhinged about the 1st Amendment..

So Media Matters is causing the left to take the opinion of Penn and Teller seriously?

That's hilarious.

Its not really their "opinion" that is the point. They are using humor to show us the opinions of the medical community are rooted in simple statistics - even IF vaccinations caused autism (which they fucking DON'T), your child's chance of death or permanent disability in childhood from not getting vaccinated is far greater than his chances of getting autism from getting vaccinated (IF there were any chances, which there fucking ISN'T). That's a fact no matter how many celebrities say it.

Its amazing that idiots like you actually think a fact can be rendered not factual simply by the right person uttering it.

Last edited:
ya its that simple..if one vaccine is good 30 is thirty times as good right..it is only logical...lol

My fucking lord you are stupid.

This statement of yours really means nothing, espeically considering it is coming from someone who can only responded with a 5 word incomplete sentence

"My fucking lord you are stupid" IS a complete sentence you imbecile! YOU stop using the internet! (I inserted the explicit "you" rather than the implied "you" in the preceding imperative statement to keep you from getting confused.)

My fucking lord you are stupid.

This statement of yours really means nothing, espeically considering it is coming from someone who can only responded with a 5 word incomplete sentence

"My fucking lord you are stupid" IS a complete sentence you imbecile! YOU stop using the internet! (I inserted the explicit "you" rather than the implied "you" in the preceding imperative statement to keep you from getting confused.)

Wow you sure addressed the issue of vaccinations with incoherent rant..wipe the spittle off your chin and try to focus..now, what is it you are struggling to communicate about vaccinations ?

Wow you sure addressed the issue of vaccinations with incoherent rant..wipe the spittle off your chin and try to focus..now, what is it you are struggling to communicate about vaccinations ?

If you haven't figured it out yet, then I'm content to let natural selection take its course.

And why is Autism almost unknown in Amish communities?

That claim would be what we call "bullshit".

https://imfar.confex.com/imfar/2010/webprogram/Paper7336.html
---
Preliminary data have identified the presence of ASD in the Amish community at a rate of approximately 1 in 271 children
---

Conspiracists shouldn't worry, as they've got another excuse to fall back on, the fact that the majority of Amish _do_ vaccinate their children.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2011/06/23/peds.2009-2599.abstract
---
Thirty-seven percent of the parents responded. Among the 359 respondents, 68% stated that all of their children had received at least 1 immunization, and 17% reported that some of their children had received at least 1 immunization. Only 14% of the parents reported that none of their children had received immunizations.
---

So, they can combine that mistake with the "no autism!" mistake, and the wrongness cancels out! The Amish get autism because they get vaccinated too!

The "no autism among the Amish" claim originated with this bad 2005 reporting piece by Dan Olmstead.

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/olmsted.html

It's seriously debunked here. Basically, Olmstead didn't look very hard for autistic Amish.

http://autism-news-beat.com/archives/29

Last edited:

If you haven't figured it out yet, then I'm content to let natural selection take its course.

good ..then follow along behind penn and whats his face

---
Preliminary data have identified the presence of ASD in the Amish community at a rate of approximately 1 in 271 children
---

Conspiracists shouldn't worry, as they've got another excuse to fall back on, the fact that the majority of Amish _do_ vaccinate their children.

Underimmunization in Ohio's Amish: Parental Fears Are a Greater Obstacle Than Access to Care
---
Thirty-seven percent of the parents responded. Among the 359 respondents, 68% stated that all of their children had received at least 1 immunization, and 17% reported that some of their children had received at least 1 immunization. Only 14% of the parents reported that none of their children had received immunizations.
---

So, they can combine that mistake with the "no autism!" mistake, and the wrongness cancels out! The Amish get autism because they get vaccinated too!

The "no autism among the Amish" claim originated with this bad 2005 reporting piece by Dan Olmstead.

The Age of Autism: The Amish anomaly By Dan Olmsted

It's seriously debunked here. Basically, Olmstead didn't look very hard for autistic Amish.

Autism and the Amish

Disease Control estimates the rate of ASD is 1 in 91 children (Kogan, 2009

presence of ASD in the Amish community at a rate of approximately 1 in 271 children using standard ASD screening

lol...according to this link children outside the Amish community are 3 times as likely to have a child with autism..I dont think you "debunked" anything

Proof that organic food is the cause of autism.

1WZ6h.png

No, I don't need to show some silly "mechanism" or do a double-blind study. I just need to show a correlation, being that is the antivaxxer rule, that correlation is causation.

1WZ6h.png

No, I don't need to show some silly "mechanism" or do a double-blind study. I just need to show a correlation, being that is the antivaxxer rule, that correlation is causation.

I'd say the increasing time between the present and 1997 is also a cause.

---
---

Underimmunization in Ohio's Amish: Parental Fears Are a Greater Obstacle Than Access to Care
---
---

The Age of Autism: The Amish anomaly By Dan Olmsted

Autism and the Amish

Disease Control estimates the rate of ASD is 1 in 91 children (Kogan, 2009

presence of ASD in the Amish community at a rate of approximately 1 in 271 children using standard ASD screening

lol...according to this link children outside the Amish community are 3 times as likely to have a child with autism..I dont think you "debunked" anything

Who cares?

You mean other than the direct claim that the Amish don't get autism? It won't matter, of course. True believers will still repeat the claim, even if they know it's not true.

The political unity aspect of the antivax movement is kind of heartwarming. The crank left (technology is evil!) and crank right (gubmint is evil!), coming together to hold hands out in crazyland. Same goes with anti-flouridation and a couple other types of pseudoscience woo.

And by the way, autism rates have actually been flat for 30 years, once you correct for those newfangled detection/diagnosing methods.

You mean other than the direct claim that the Amish don't get autism? It won't matter, of course. True believers will still repeat the claim, even if they know it's not true.

The political unity aspect of the antivax movement is kind of heartwarming. The crank left (technology is evil!) and crank right (gubmint is evil!), coming together to hold hands out in crazyland. Same goes with anti-flouridation and a couple other types of pseudoscience woo.

And by the way, autism rates have actually been flat for 30 years, once you correct for those newfangled detection/diagnosing methods.

lol...link to your newfangled detection/diagnosing methods

1WZ6h.png

I'd say the increasing time between the present and 1997 is also a cause.

seeing as Amish eat a lot of organic they should not have way lower autism rates than the norm then..lol

Forum List

Back