Pentacostal Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
[ame=http://youtu.be/LxEhLMaVnxs]The Normal Christian Life (Part 4 of 4) - Watchman Nee - YouTube[/ame]

Howard Carter: A Man of Whom The World Was Not Worthy

PROPHECY AND GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT

Howard helped many people receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit and to develop various gifts of the Spirit. Howard Carter would study and yield himself particularly to the gift of prophecy and interpretation of tongues.

The first Pentecostal Bible School in the United Kingdom was founded in the Hampstead area of London by the Pentecostal Missionary Union and later became known as the Hampstead Bible School. In 1927 Howard Carter reluctantly agreed to serve as the school's principal for a few months. He stayed for 27 years. Under his direction the school focused on training evangelists, pastors and teachers who were sent into various mission fields around the world including Europe, Asia and Africa.

One time, when Howard Carter was feeling discouraged, God gave him the words which were to become the motto of the Bible School and encourage many of its students; "Let me never lose the all important truth that to be in thy will is better than success and grant that I may ever love thyself more than thy service."

On May 24th, 1928 he received a prophetic word declaring, "Mark the day for the blessing will come and you will be astonished." One year later to the day Howard Carter was elected vice chairman of the Assemblies of God in Britain and on May 24th, 1934 was elected chairman.

In 1934 Howard Carter was invited to minister at two camp meetings in the USA. He was 43 years old. With encouragement from others and confirmation from God, this developed into a world tour of 60,000 miles. In America he would meet a 17 year old young lad named Lester Sumrall who would met him later in Australia for a round the world tour visiting many of Howard's former bible school students, focusing much of the trip in China. Many of the missionaries visited were former students. At the conclusion of the tour Howard Carter said, "We started with nothing, we had nothing [to spare], we returned with nothing, and we desire nothing but the privilege of proclaiming that our Lord God Omnipotent reigns." The chronicles of his journey is written in his book, "When Time Flew By." This book describes the end of this tour with Howard Carter suffering with malaria on a bed in Amsterdam, Holland.

Last edited:
The gifts and the ministry of the Holy Spirit by Lester Sumrall is one of his finest books. Lester Sumrall was mentored by Howard Carter and also Smith Wigglesworth. It is interesting how so many of these men are connected in such a way. Watchman Nee mentions George Mueller ( some spell his name Muller ) in his book Spiritual Knowledge when referencing those who understood the secret of answered prayer. Nee never met Mueller but Mueller was an influence upon his life nonetheless.

A continuation of Michael Boldea Jr.'s sermon - The Various Trials Part 2

Hand of Help Ministries

It is quite possible that a trial which might serve to make you stronger and more dependent upon God would fell me to the ground with minimal effort. The reason our trials vary is because we as human beings vary. In His love and all-knowing wisdom God does not send the same trials over one and all, because the purpose of the trials He allows in our lives is not to tear us down but to build us up. Trials come upon us to make us stronger, to teach us dependence upon God, and to show us that we can overcome through He who promised us victory.God knows every single one of us intimately. He knows what we can endure, He knows how much heat we can take, and He brings us to that point wherein we are refined, tested, and purified, but not destroyed, broken or disillusioned.

God does not give us trials equal to our strength or ability to overcome them, He gives us strength and ability to overcome equal to the trials we are facing.
To some God gives strength to overcome financial trials, others He gives strength overcome physical trials, others He gives strength to overcome family trials, trials on the job, traitorous friends, and the list goes on. Whatever trial we are facing, we must acknowledge the strength to overcome comes from above. Our strength comes from God, not of ourselves, and so when we do overcome, when finally we’ve come through the valley and out the other side, we cannot glory in our own strength but rather glory in His strength.

Another universal truth concerning trials is that they are passing. ‘For a little while’ we are grieved by various trials, but just as the sun rises every morning and sets every evening, our trials will pass eventually. Granted, when you are in the midst of a trial it seems as though no end is in sight, and each minute seems like an eternity, but the nature of trials is that they come and that they go. Yes, new ones will come, but those too will pass, and every trial becomes a memory sooner or later. With each trial, with each hardship, with each testing we will be all the more refined, all the more mature, all the more rooted in our God and Father and that is God’s intent in allowing these things to come upon us.
Another great benefit of the various trials we are called upon to endure, is that what we thought of as insurmountable as little as a year, or a few months ago, now seems easily scalable, and beatable. Looking back on the trials we’ve had to endure, looking back on the trials we’ve had to get through, we realize that they seemed much bigger as we were going through them than they were in reality.

At the time we could not see our way out, at the time we could not see how we would be victorious, at the time we could not see how we would endure to the end, yet we did, and when the next trial comes, when the next tribulation begins, we will remember the previous trial and realize we will get through these as well.
When our faith is small, our trials seem to be on par and of the same scale. When our faith grows and matures, out trials likewise seem to grow, because they have to keep abreast of our faith, or our faith needs to keep abreast of our trials. Either way, live with the expectation of an increase in the intensity of your trials as you mature and grow in God.

I must confess I used to be one who did not welcome the notion of trials in my life. That is until the day I had an epiphany of sorts and realized that the greater the trial, the greater God’s trust that you will not break beneath the weight of said trial. When I realized that my trials are God’s way of entrusting me with more of His grace, when I realized that my trials were God’s way of telling me He sees the growth and the maturing, I began to welcome my trials knowing their good end.

Last edited:
Michael Boldea Jr. came from Romania and he undertands the meaning of trials having grown up during a time when Communists were coming for his grandfather regularly to haul him into jail and interrogate him and torture him. These communists wanted the names of Christians who were involved in smuggling bibles and Dumitru Duduman ( Michaels grandfather ) refused to give a single name. Instead he chose torture and finally death. God delivered him and allowed the one who had ordered his execution to die instead. It is quite a story. The book Man through the Fire - tells the full testimony of what Dumitrus grandfather suffered. In his time he smuggled over 1 million bibles into Russia. He refused to the very end to give up any information about those who assisted him in that work of God.

Michael's grandmother lived through a time of her nation being run by Communists - the people were starving - digging in the ground for a worm to eat. We here in America have not endured such trials for our faith but we still encounter trials. Michael is right in welcoming greater trials into his life because if God permits such trials it could only be for one reason. For our growth and maturity in Him!

http://biblehub.com/james/1-2.htm

Context

Rejoicing in Trials
2Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 3knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.…

Cross References

Matthew 5:12
Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Romans 5:3
Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;

James 1:12
Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

Last edited:
[ame=http://youtu.be/uyrxmG1Ctio]Maranatha! Singers - Double Praise 11: Let Us Worship The Lord, Jehovah - YouTube[/ame]

This is part of a sermon from William Gurnall entitled - "ENJOYING GOD"
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/gurnall/armour/files/armour.html

A feast is made for laughter. "Solomon wrote ( Ecclesiastes 10:19 ) I am sure God intended His children to be joyful in the feast of Christ's Gospel. In the Old Testament, mourners were not allowed to sit at God's table. Since a saint's gloom reflects unkindness on God himself, how can we recommend His satisfying love if it does not satisfy us? The world thinks the Christian life is depressing anyway, a dry meal where very little wine of joy is tasted. Why will you confirm their deception, Christian? Why should they have your example as evidence against Jesus, and His Word, which promises peace and joy to everyone who comes to His table?

God forbid that your behavior, which should hold forth "the word of life" and demonstrate the reality of it in the eyes of the world, ever disagree or throw doubt on His Word ( Phillipians 2: 16 ). It is a gross error for Rome to teach that we cannot know Scripture as God's Word except through the testimony of the church. Yet a practical testimony in Christian's lives has great authority over the consciences of men to persuade them of Gospel truth. They can believe it is good news when they read it clearly in a cheerful life!
What a great word! Every Christian should be enjoying Jesus Christ to the fullest in their lives. Not only for themselves but as a witness to the world that true liberty, true joy is found in complete surrender to Jesus Christ! Our own lives should be a living testimony to the power of the Cross! It reminds me of a sermon Katherine Kuhlman taught about the joyful Christian life long ago. I will have to look it up and post it.

Last edited:
Nehemiah 8:10 Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."

Parallel Commentaries
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

8:9-12 It was a good sign that their hearts were tender, when they heard the words of the law. The people were to send portions to those for whom nothing was prepared. It is the duty of a religious feast, as well as of a religious fast, to draw out the soul to the hungry; God's bounty should make us bountiful. We must not only give to those that offer themselves, but send to those out of sight. Their strength consisted in joy in the Lord. The better we understand God's word, the more comfort we find in it; the darkness of trouble arises from the darkness of ignorance.

Last edited:
Psalm 50:23 Those who sacrifice thank offerings honor me, and to the blameless I will show my salvation."

Context

The Mighty One Calls
…22"Now consider this, you who forget God, Or I will tear you in pieces, and there will be none to deliver. 23"He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving honors Me; And to him who orders his way aright I shall show the salvation of God."

Cross References

1 Samuel 2:30
"Therefore the LORD, the God of Israel, declares: 'I promised that members of your family would minister before me forever.' But now the LORD declares: 'Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained.

Psalm 50:14
"Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High,

Last edited:
Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Context

How Lovely are Your Dwellings!
…10For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand outside. I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God Than dwell in the tents of wickedness. 11For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. 12O LORD of hosts, How blessed is the man who trusts in You!

Cross References

Matthew 7:11
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Revelation 21:23
The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

Genesis 15:1
After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward."

I have a personal testimony to share about this scripture. It happened this past week. I wasn't going to share it because I despise spiritual envy and didn't want others to feel envious of the Word the Lord gave me but as He wants me to share it here, I will. I woke up hearing a scripture in my spirit - the Scripture was - I will withhold no good thing from those who walk uprightly. I knew immediately it was the LORD. I saw my cat jump on the bed and go around to the other side where my husband patted her head so I knew he was awake - I asked, what time is it? He said, 4:00 a.m. That is God's time. That is our time and I knew that the LORD was letting me know that before I could even ask Him, he was going to grant my requests. It was the King of Glory coming in and extending His own sceptre to me and saying what do you want? I told him I want you to smash the altars of Baal in this nation. I will not divulge what else I asked him for but that was the first request out of my mouth because I despise Lucifer! My warfare is not with flesh and blood - I love all people - I despise Lucifer and His works and my LORD knows this.

* I also asked the LORD to add 5,000 people to USMB because I believe the time for souls to be won across America is right now and I believe it is His Will to bless all those who are willing to be a part of that work. No matter how small or how great.

So what God has promised is not just to one Believer but to ALL Believers! If you will walk uprightly before Him? He will withhold no good thing from you. That is His Promise and I am here to testify that God keeps His Promises. Others may not. God always does. Amen? Amen. God, please bless all those who read this tonight. In Jesus name, I ask it. Amen.

Last edited:
[ame=http://youtu.be/zQzohiva-fE]THE SPIRITUAL LIFE by Andrew Murray - FULL AudioBook | Religion, Christianity, Spirituality - YouTube[/ame]

Speaking of answered prayer there is another story of answered prayer which Watchman Nee refers to in his book Spiritual Knowledge. He recounts the story of George Mueller who had been asked by a little girl to please pray with her that God would send her a brightly colored woven yarn ball. The story touches my heart because it reveals how personal God is in answering our prayers!

This is the story of Abigail told by Watchman Nee:

Mr. Muller once taught a little girl how to pray. Her name was Abigail. For a long while she was thinking of getting a multi - colored ball for a toy. She was very young. One day she saw the man of God come to her home. So she consulted with him, saying that, having heard from her parents that he knew well how to pray, she would ask if he was willing to pray for her that she might get a multi-colored woolen ball.

The elderly Mr. Muller answered that he would pray for her but that she must also pray. The child knelt down and this man of God knelt by her. The girl prayed first, saying that she wanted a woolen ball in multi-color. Afterwards, this man of God bowed his grey-haired head, putting his hand on her and prayed: Here is a child who wishes to have a woolen ball in many colors. Nobody knows about this, and I too will not do anything about it. This is your business. Please hear her prayers.

Upon ending these words, he waited a few seconds as though he was still saying something to God. Then he got up and told the child that in two days God would give her the woolen ball to play with. Her little heart leaped for joy. This elderly man had brought her to God.

She thought in her mind: perhaps her grandmother would bring her the colored woolen ball or maybe her aunt would do so.

To her surprise, the second night who but her own father brought her the ball! She was overjoyed. Her father had a department store. He had sold every ball except the multi-colored woolen one. this ball had been on display too long to be an longer presentable. So he took it home and gave it to his little daughter to play with.

The next day Mr. Muller saw her, and asked her whether she found the colored woolen ball most interesting. He did not ask if she had gotten the ball, rather, he asked if she found it interesting to play with. This man who knew God had confidence.

- From the book Spiritual Knowledge by Watchman Nee page 41 and 42

http://www.watchman-nee.net/index.html

Last edited:
Sermon by William Gurnall - The Path is Narrow - http://www.ccel.org/ccel/gurnall/armour/files/armour.html

Only a remnant will embrace the Gospel. If it were put to a vote, would not thousands carry the decision to get rid of Christ and His Gospel? History itself prophesies the future of such great odds. Each time God withdraws from a people, there have been a few holy ones mingled among the ungodly. Sardis, for example, had several names which had not "defiled their garments," bu the candlestick was removed nevertheless. All they had was a promise for themselves - "They shall walk with me in white" - but no protection was pledged for the whole church ( Revelation 3: 4 ) God can pull down a house and at the same time provide safety for His saints whom He finds inside.

A few voices are easily drowned out in the screams of a crowd and a dozen cups of wine are hardly tasted in a whole cask. Thus a remnant of Christianity sometimes can do little to save the wretched millions of unbelievers surrounding them. When disease controls a weakened body, nature tries with her utmost strength but cannot heal the sickness - perhaps her best efforts will only prolong life for a while. So then a few saints, shut up in a wicked age of Christ despising men, may gain a reprieve from judgment. But if the unbelievers themselves do not choose to change, ruin inevitably breaks in on them.

Most of Christendom is made up of old disciples, not new converts. The womb of the Gospel has been shut up from bring forth souls in a solid work of conversion. Of course, if you count those who baptise themselves into new religious feelings with good intentions and wholesome opinions, there are plenty of "Christians." But in this age of whithering professions of faith and an even weaker practice of holiness, it is hard to find a real convert!

Last edited:
Revelation 3:4 Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy.Context

Message to the Church in Sardis
…3So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you. 4'But you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; and they will walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. 5'He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.…

Cross References

Ecclesiastes 9:8
Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil.

Jude 1:23
save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear--hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

Revelation 1:11
which said: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea."

Revelation 3:5
The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.Context

The Faith of Abel, Enoch, Noah
…5By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; AND HE WAS NOT FOUND BECAUSE GOD TOOK HIM UP; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God. 6And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. 7By faith Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.

Cross References

Matthew 11:26
Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

Last edited:
[ame=http://youtu.be/13GEdVKK2jo]Phil Driscoll "Amazing Grace" (phenomenal trumpet) - YouTube[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back