Pentacostal Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be faithful in Truth and in Love. A sermon from A. W. Tozer which is worth listening to closely.

[ame=http://youtu.be/yvcSCWm7Ga4]A. W. Tozer Sermon - Faithful in Truth and Love - YouTube[/ame]

We must always preach the truth in love. What we must never do is preach love without the truth. This is where error comes in and the Spirit of the Lord will not confirm error. The Spirit of the LORD only confirms His Own Word.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Context

Preach the Word
…2preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. 3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.…

Cross References

Isaiah 30:10
They say to the seers, "See no more visions!" and to the prophets, "Give us no more visions of what is right! Tell us pleasant things, prophesy illusions.

1 Timothy 1:10
for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers--and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

2 Timothy 1:13
What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
Consider someone was sick with a very high fever and is delirious. You are the physician called in to tend to this man's fever and when you draw near to him he suddenly lashes about and bites you! What caused this man to attack you? The man in his natural state or the fever he is taken with? The fever!

What shall you do? Treat the man with the proper cure for his fever and he will return back to his right mind.

So this is precisely the matter with those who are bound by sin. The demons which have taken possession of their physical bodies, minds, are holding the person in captivity. The only way to bring deliverance to such a one is as Mark 16 teaches the believer. ( who uses the great physicians name, In the Name of - Jesus Christ ) Cast it out. Speak the truth in Faith and in Love and cast it out. This is the answer according to the Word of God.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

3:21-26 Must guilty man remain under wrath? Is the wound for ever incurable? No; blessed be God, there is another way laid open for us. This is the righteousness of God; righteousness of his ordaining, and providing, and accepting. It is by that faith which has Jesus Christ for its object; an anointed Saviour, so Jesus Christ signifies. Justifying faith respects Christ as a Saviour, in all his three anointed offices, as Prophet, Priest, and King; trusting in him, accepting him, and cleaving to him: in all these, Jews and Gentiles are alike welcome to God through Christ. There is no difference, his righteousness is upon all that believe; not only offered to them, but put upon them as a crown, as a robe. It is free grace, mere mercy; there is nothing in us to deserve such favours. It comes freely unto us, but Christ bought it, and paid the price. And faith has special regard to the blood of Christ, as that which made the atonement. God, in all this, declares his righteousness. It is plain that he hates sin, when nothing less than the blood of Christ would satisfy for it. And it would not agree with his justice to demand the debt, when the Surety has paid it, and he has accepted that payment in full satisfaction.

Last edited:
Isaiah 23:9 The LORD Almighty planned it, to bring down her pride in all her splendor and to humble all who are renowned on the earth.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

The Lord of hosts hath purposed it,.... To destroy Tyre; who is wonderful in counsel, capable of forming a wise scheme, and able to put it in execution; being the Lord of armies in heaven and in earth: and his end in it was,

to stain the pride of all glory; Tyre being proud of its riches, the extent of its commerce, and the multitude of its inhabitants, God was resolved, who sets himself against the proud, to abase them; to pollute the glorious things they were proud of; to deal with them as with polluted things; to trample upon them:

and to bring into contempt all the honourable of the earth: or, "to make light all the heavy ones of the earth" (d); all such, who are top heavy with riches and honour, God can, and sometimes does, make as light as feathers, which the wind carries away, and they fall into contempt and disgrace with their fellow creatures; and the Lord's thus dealing with Tyre was not merely on their account, to stain their pride and glory, and disgrace their honourable ones; but for the sake of others also, that the great ones of the earth might see and learn, by this instance of Tyre, how displeasing to the Lord is the sin of pride; what a poor, vain, and perishing thing, worldly honour and glory is; and what poor, weak, feeble creatures, the princes and potentates of the earth are, when the Lord takes them in hand.

(d) .

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

9. Whoever be the instruments in overthrowing haughty sinners, God, who has all hosts at His command, is the First Cause (Isa 10:5-7).

stain—rather, "to profane"; as in Ex 31:14, the Sabbath, and other objects of religious reverence; so here, "the pride of all glory" may refer to the Tyrian temple of Hercules, the oldest in the world, according to Arrian (Isa 2:16); the prophet of the true God would naturally single out for notice the idol of Tyre [G. V. Smith]. It may, however, be a general proposition; the destruction of Tyre will exhibit to all how God mars the luster of whatever is haughty (Isa 2:11).

Last edited:
Psalm 18:26 to the pure you show yourself pure, but to the devious you show yourself shrewd.

18:20-28 Those that forsake the ways of the Lord, depart from their God. But though conscious to ourselves of many a false step, let there not be a wicked departure from our God. David kept his eye upon the rule of God's commands. Constant care to keep from that sin, whatever it be, which most easily besets us, proves that we are upright before God. Those who show mercy to others, even they need mercy. Those who are faithful to God, shall find him all that to them which he has promised to be. The words of the Lord are pure words, very sure to be depended on, and very sweet to be delighted in. Those who resist God, and walk contrary to him, shall find that he will walk contrary to them, Le 26:21-24. The gracious recompence of which David spoke, may generally be expected by those who act from right motives. Hence he speaks comfort to the humble, and terror to the proud; Thou wilt bring down high looks. And he speaks encouragement to himself; Thou wilt light my candle: thou wilt revive and comfort my sorrowful spirit; thou wilt guide my way, that I may avoid the snares laid for me.

Last edited:
Isaiah 14:9 The realm of the dead below is all astir to meet you at your coming; it rouses the spirits of the departed to greet you-- all those who were leaders in the world; it makes them rise from their thrones-- all those who were kings over the n

Cross References

Isaiah 5:14
Therefore Death expands its jaws, opening wide its mouth; into it will descend their nobles and masses with all their brawlers and revelers.

Ezekiel 26:20
then I will bring you down with those who go down to the pit, to the people of long ago. I will make you dwell in the earth below, as in ancient ruins, with those who go down to the pit, and you will not return or take your place in the land of the living.

Ezekiel 32:21
From within the realm of the dead the mighty leaders will say of Egypt and her allies, 'They have come down and they lie with the uncircumcised, with those killed by the sword.'

Treasury of Scripture

Hell from beneath is moved for you to meet you at your coming: it stirs up the dead for you, even all the chief ones of the earth; it has raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

Last edited:
Isaiah 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!

11Your pomp and the music of your harps Have been brought down to Sheol; Maggots are spread out as your bed beneath you And worms are your covering.' 12"How you have fallen from heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations! 13"But you said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, And I will sit on the mount of assembly In the recesses of the north.…

Cross References

Luke 10:18
He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.

Treasury of Scripture

How are you fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how are you cut down to the ground, which did weaken the nations!

Last edited:
Colossians 2:15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Cross References

John 12:31
Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out.

1 Corinthians 15:24
Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power.

2 Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ's triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere.

Ephesians 3:10
His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms,

Ephesians 4:8
This is why it says: "When he ascended on high, he took many captives and gave gifts to his people."

Colossians 1:16
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

Colossians 2:10
and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

Treasury of Scripture

And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Last edited:
Luke 10:19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.

Context

The Seventy-Two Return with Joy
…18And He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning. 19"Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you. 20"Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven."

Cross References

Psalm 91:13
You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

Mark 16:18
they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

Treasury of Scripture

Behold, I give to you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Last edited:
Question. Is your name recorded in heaven? Is your name written in the lambs book of Life? Today is the day of Salvation, Beloved. Today. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Not next month or next year. Today.

http://biblehub.com/2_corinthians/6-2.htm

For God says, "At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you." Indeed, the "right time" is now. Today is the day of salvation.

Last edited:
I thank God for Brother Michael Boldea Jr. today! I just checked his website and this is his latest sermon! When did he put it up? Today! 7/ 26 / 2014! What a right now Word from God!

The Various Trials Part 1

For the true believer it is peace and tranquility that are fleeting not trials and persecution. I know full well in a nation such as this, wherein the notion of suffering for the cause of Christ is as alien as molecular biology is to a kitten, it’s difficult to wrap our minds around the notion that hardships, trials, and tribulations for the believer are inevitable, and a normal part of their existence.

‘In the world you will have trouble!’ These were the words of Jesus, and their brevity is astounding. He did not attempt to soften the blow, or encourage those who heard Him by adding caveats, or saying that only a handful will have trouble, He meant what He said when He said it, and it holds true to this day.

If we are sons and daughters of the Most High God, if we follow after the precepts of His word, if He is first in our lives and His will is our command, then trouble for us is inevitable. The reason for this is a simple one: the sons and daughters of light will always be at odds with the sons and daughters of darkness, and as long as we are here, we are a thorn in the enemy’s side that he will go to great lengths to remove.

Although no one got a waiver or an exemption from having trouble in this world, Jesus did tell us to take heart, not because we might not have as much trouble as some do, or because it would be an easy proposition for us to endure, but because He overcame the world. Because He overcame the world, we know that by His strength we too will overcome. No matter the trouble, no matter the hardship, we know that with Christ, in Christ, and through Christ we will overcome, and be all the stronger and spiritually mature for it.
We all envy the relationships the great men of God had with Him, wherein He would speak to them audibly, direct them, guide them, and open their eyes to the spiritual realm, but very few of us would be willing to endure, to suffer, and to go through some of the trials they went through in order to achieve such a remarkable relationship.

We want the experience with God, but very few are willing to pay the price in order to have the experience.
Nothing worth having comes easily, and nothing worth having comes for free. This is the reality anyone who has been alive longer than a handful of years has come to understand as a universal truth.

One must be willing to pay the price in order to attain the sort of relationship one such as Moses, or Elijah, or Jeremiah had with God. If we think that somehow God has lowered the bar, or the testing through which one who aspires to closeness with God must go through has become less strict over the centuries, we are deceiving ourselves to the utmost.
There is not one man of God whether in the Bible or in our modern day who having a deep and intimate relationship with Him, has not, first and foremost, gone through the threshing and the sifting. In His love God refines us, in His love God purifies us, in His love God burns away every last remnant of dross and flesh and self that He may reign supreme.

Not everyone goes through the same trial. Trials take on various forms, hence the reason Peter encourages those to whom he was writing, telling them that though now they go through ‘various trials’they ought not lose heart, nor lose sight of the reason for the trials through which they are going.
The trials I’m going through may not be similar to the trials you’re going through, and the trials you are going through may not be similar to the trials someone else is going through, but they are, nevertheless trials.
https://www.handofhelp.com/blogview.php?id=26+July+2014,+12:00+pm

Last edited:
http://biblehub.com/john/15-5.htm

Context

Jesus the True Vine

…4"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. 5"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. 6"If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.…

Cross References

Matthew 13:21
But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

John 15:16
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last--and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

Treasury of Scripture

I am the vine, you are the branches: He that stays in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing.

Last edited:
John 12:24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

Context

Jesus Predicts His Death
…23And Jesus answered them, saying, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25"He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal.…

Last edited:
John 12:25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

24"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25"He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. 26"If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.…

Cross References

Matthew 10:39
Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

Matthew 16:25
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

Mark 8:35
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.

Last edited:
John 6:66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

66As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore. 67So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?"…

Cross References

John 2:2
and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding.

John 6:60
On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"

John 6:64
Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.

Last edited:
This is about the life of David Brainerd.

http://www.uim.org/pdf/Piper Message re David Brainerd 1990.pdf

Oh, That I May Never Loiter On My
Heavenly Journey!

Reflections on the Life and Ministry of David Brainerd

1990 Bethlehem Conference for Pastors

January 31, 1990 | by John Piper | Topic: Christian Biography

A Summary of His Life
David Brainerd was born on April 20, 1718 in Haddam, Connecticut. That year John Wesley and
Jonathan Edwards turned 14. Benjamin Franklin turned 12 and George Whitefield 3. The Great
Awakening was just over the horizon and Brainerd would live through both waves of it in the
mid thirties and early forties, then die of tuberculosis in Jonathan Edwards' house at the age of 29
on October 9, 1747.
Brainerd's father Hezekiah was a Connecticut legislator and died when David was nine year's
old. Judging by my own son's attachment to me over the years, I think that might be the hardest
year of all to lose father. He had been a rigorous Puritan with strong views of authority and
strictness at home; and he pursued a very earnest devotion that included days of private fasting to
promote spiritual welfare (see note 1).
Brainerd was the sixth child and third son born to Hezekiah and Dorothy. After him came three
more children. Dorothy had brought one little boy from a previous marriage, and so there were
twelve of them in the home —but not for long. Five years after his father died at the age of 46,
his mother died when he was 14.
It seems that there was an unusual strain of weakness and depression in the family. Not only did
the parents die early, David's brother Nehemiah died at 32, his brother Israel died at 23, his sister
Jerusha died at 34, and he died at 29. In 1865 a descendant, Thomas Brainerd (in a biography of
John Brainerd), said, "In the whole Brainerd family for two hundred years there has been a
tendency to a morbid depression, akin to hypochondria (p. 64)."
So on top of having an austere father, and suffering the loss of both parents as a sensitive child,
he probably inherited some kind of tendency of depression. Whatever the cause, he suffered from
the blackest dejection off and on throughout his short life. He says at the very beginning of his
diary, "I was, I think, from my youth something sober and inclined rather to melancholy than the
other extreme (p. 101)."

read more on Pipers link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back