Pentacostal Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the story of David Brainerd, who was expelled from Yale College in 1742 after exposing the faculty of Yale as hypocrites and carnal men - one in particular who according to Brainerd had the grace ( spirituality ) of a chair. A very well put assessment of Yale in 1742 and today Yale University has continued on to fully emersed itself which such godless men for faculty. What shall we call such men but utter fools! Yes! Pay a fortune for fools to educate your children, America. Then you wonder why your children return home atheists? Oh! This is how misguided our people have become in this hour. What a shame!

Read Piper's story of David Brainerd's experience at Yale University here:

In 1742 Yale College expelled David Brainerd.

A spiritual awakening had been sparked on the campus in months prior. As it began to grow and draw in more zealous students, tensions arose among the skeptical faculty such that the college trustees passed a code prohibiting students from even insinuate that any of the faculty were "hypocrites, carnal or unconverted men."

Before long it was reported that Brainerd had made some uncharitable comments of this kind and, though he was at the top of his class academically, they booted him. Add to this that in order to be an established minister in Connecticut you had to be a graduate of Yale, Harvard, or a European university. Brainerd's dreams (and obedience!) to become a pastor came crashing down. It was very difficult, as John Piper explains, "Brained felt cut off from his life calling."

This is a hard fact to swallow. Tragic, it might seem, considering that David Brainerd died at the young age of 29. But here we are looking at his life, admitting there's a good story to be told, and retold. One that's not about the expulsion, but about what God did through him in that handful of years between the expulsion and his death.

Originally delivered as a message at the 1990 Conference for Pastors, John Piper tells Brainerd's story in this short ebook, "David Brainerd: May I Never Loiter on My Heavenly Journey!"

http://www.uim.org/pdf/Piper Message re David Brainerd 1990.pdf

Last edited:
David Brainerd Quotes

A few of the sublimest geniuses of Rome and Athens had some faint discoveries of the spiritual nature of the human soul, and formed some probable conjectures, that man was designed for a future state of existence.

I care not where I go, or how I live, or what I endure so that I may save souls. When I sleep I dream of them; when I awake they are first in my thoughts.

No amount of scholastic attainment, of able and profound exposition of brilliant and stirring eloquence can atone for the absence of a deep impassioned sympathetic love for human souls.

Once more, Never think that you can live to God by your own power or strength; but always look to and rely on him for assistance, yea, for all strength and grace.

If you hope for happiness in the world, hope for it from God, and not from the world.

Ardent love or desire introduced, as passionately longing to please and glorify the Divine Being, to be in every respect conformed to him, and in that way to enjoy him.

Last edited:
http://christian-quotes.ochristian.com/David-Brainerd-Quotes/

David Brainerd
1718-1747

David Brainerd was an American missionary to the Native Americans. He was orphaned at fourteen and had an experience that intensified his dedication to Christianity at age 21 in 1739. Shortly after, he enrolled at Yale, but was expelled his junior year for privately saying of a college tutor, "He has no more grace than this chair".

He then prepared for the ministry, being licensed to preach in 1742, and early in 1743 decided to devote himself to missionary work among the Native Americans. He worked first at Kaunaumeek, an Indian settlement about 20 miles from Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and subsequently, untilhis death, among the Delaware Indians in Pennsylvania (near Easton) and New Jersey (near Cranbury).

His heroic and self-denying labors, both for the spiritual and for the temporal welfare of the Indians, wore out a naturally feeble constitution, and on October 9, 1747 he died at the house of his friend, Jonathan Edwards, in Northampton, Massachusetts.

The idea that everything would happen exactly as it does regardless of whether we pray or not is a specter that haunts the minds of many who sincerely profess belief in God. It makes prayer psychologically impossible, replacing it with dead ritual at best.

The all-seeing eye of God beheld our deplorable state; infinite pity touched the heart of the Father of mercies; and infinite wisdom laid the plan of our recovery.

First, Resolve upon, and daily endeavour to practise, a life of seriousness and strict sobriety.

I bless God for this retirement: I never was more thankful for any thing than I have been of late for the necessity I am under of self-denial in many respects.

Oh, how precious is time, and how it pains me to see it slide away, while I do so little to any good purpose.

The whole world appears to me like a huge vacuum, a vast empty space, whence nothing desirable, or at least satisfactory, can possibly be derived; and I long daily to die more and more to it; even though I obtain not that comfort from spiritual things which I earnestly desire.

Last edited:
David Brainerd was a man whose heart was on fire for God. He loved God with all of his heart.

Hebrews 11:10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

The Faith of Abraham
…9By faith he lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs of the same promise; 10for he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God. 11By faith even Sarah herself received ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised.…

Cross References

Isaiah 14:32
What answer shall be given to the envoys of that nation? "The LORD has established Zion, and in her his afflicted people will find refuge."

Hebrews 11:16
Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Hebrews 12:22
But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly,

Hebrews 13:14
For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come.

Revelation 21:2
I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.

Last edited:
Matthew 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

Context

Treasures in Heaven
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;…

Cross References

Exodus 22:2
"If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed;

Job 24:16
In the dark, thieves break into houses, but by day they shut themselves in; they want nothing to do with the light.

Proverbs 23:4
Do not wear yourself out to get rich; do not trust your own cleverness.

Last edited:
James 5:3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.

Context

Misuse of Riches

…2Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth-eaten. 3Your gold and your silver have rusted;

and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh like fire.

It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure!

4Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth.

Last edited:
[ame=http://youtu.be/c5FBoxHfqMw]Are We Ready To Drink His Cup? - Leonard Ravenhill (FULL) - YouTube[/ame]

Luke 12:49 "I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!

Context

Not Peace, But Division
49"I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! 50"But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished!…

Cross References

Luke 12:48
But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Luke 12:50
But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed!

Treasury of Scripture

I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

come.

Luke 12:51,52 Suppose you that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, No; …

Isaiah 11:4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with …

Joel 2:30,31 And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and …

Last edited:
Malachi 3:2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap.
Context

The Coming Day of Judgment
1"Behold, I am going to send My messenger, and he will clear the way before Me. And the Lord, whom you seek, will suddenly come to His temple; and the messenger of the covenant, in whom you delight, behold, He is coming," says the LORD of hosts. 2"But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap. 3"He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness.…

Cross References

Matthew 3:10
The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

1 Corinthians 3:13
their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person's work.

Revelation 6:17
For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can withstand it?"

1 Samuel 6:20
And the people of Beth Shemesh asked, "Who can stand in the presence of the LORD, this holy God? To whom will the ark go up from here?"

Psalm 76:7
It is you alone who are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry?

Last edited:
[ame=http://youtu.be/b-I1x2X3Cro]The Judgment Seat of Christ - Leonard Ravenhill (FULL) - YouTube[/ame]

Though Now You Do Not See Him By Michael Boldea Jr. http://www.handofhelp.com/about_michael.php

1 Peter 1:6-9, “In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith – the salvation of your souls.”

From this handful of verses we come to realize that Peter is writing to believers who had not physically seen Jesus while He was among them. They had not heard Him preach, they had not sat at His feet moved by His teaching, and Peter is acknowledging this beautiful faith of theirs, telling them that though they had not seen the Christ, they loved Him nevertheless.

If we think about it in practical terms, it must have been easier for one such as Peter to believe, and love, and follow after Christ, than it would have been for one such as Paul who never met Him, except on the road to Damascus, nor heard Him preach or teach.

It is far easier to draw conclusions and make up your mind about someone with whom you are often in contact, whom you see on a daily basis, and are able to watch closely. It is far more difficult to believe and love someone whom you have never met, whose only frame of reference regarding their person is the teachings they left behind and the testimonies of the disciples He sent into the world.

Nevertheless, these individuals to whom Peter was writing loved Jesus though they had not seen Him. They believed in Jesus though they had not seen Him, and even rejoiced with joy inexpressible and full of glory though they had not seen Him.

It wasn’t as though these individuals had run down to the local bookstore and bought themselves a Bible, or the sermon anthology of the Christ. At best, they heard via word of mouth about the One who had conquered death, the One who had come to save those who would believe on Him, the One who by His sacrifice reconciled us unto the Father, and they believed.

I’ve run across individuals throughout my life who say that if only they could see Jesus, they would believe. Others, in need of less convincing only wanted to see an angel, or witness a miracle, and then they too would believe.

We see here that these individuals to whom Peter was writing had neither seen Jesus, nor had they seen angels, nor had they witnessed the sea part, yet they believed and rejoiced.

Men today are phenomenal at making excuses. Ask them why they will not believe, and chances are better than good that what you will hear coming out of their mouth will be an excuse. Whether it’s because their parents left a bad taste for religion in their mouth, or because they feel as though they’re spiritual enough without having to pick a team, or because they believe all paths lead to the same destination, men excuse their unwillingness to bow their knee at the foot of the cross of Christ in various fashion but with the same underlying reasons.

They love their sin, and are unwilling to part with it. They love the world and the things of the world, and because they are encouraged to continue in their lukewarm condition by leaders who ought to know better, they take no steps toward believing as those to whom Peter wrote had.

Another thing which leaps from the page as we read these verses is that Peter is either heavily generalizing when writing to these believers, or all of them, to the last, had been grieved by various trials.

He did not say ‘though now for a little while some of you have been grieved by various trials’, nor did he say ‘most of you’, but simply, you!

To those who believe they have a special dispensation to bypass trials and hardships, I would urge you to read, and reread this handful of verses in 1 Peter. To those who believe that because you belong to a certain denomination, or are the citizen of a certain nation trials and tribulations will avoid you, I would urge you to think again, and prepare your heart for the inevitable.

Last edited:
It is written:

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith – the salvation of your souls.

1 Peter 1: 6 - 9

Thanks to men of God such as A.W. Tozer and Leonard Ravenhill, David Brainerd, and Jonathan Edwards we can see clearly what is not the normal Christian life! They point us to the cross of Christ, the message of the Cross and here is yet one more man of God - crucified with Christ - who teaches us about the "Normal Christian Life". This is the "normal life"... much of what we see in the church is what should be identified as the "abnormal life".. Here is Watchman Nee part 1 of the Normal Christian life:

[ame=http://youtu.be/G4RuW6MWdTs]The Normal Christian Life (Part 1 of 4) - Watchman Nee - YouTube[/ame]

This song blesses me so. It was a song that Preston wrote to the LORD and later a secular artist took the song and turned it into a secular love song. That was not the original intent for the song as you will learn from Phil Driscoll. Listen to this. How beautiful!

[ame=http://youtu.be/Y9G6LdvoneM]Phil Driscoll - You Are So Beautiful - YouTube[/ame]

It is good to worship the LORD and tell Him of our love for him. He is so beautiful!

Last edited:
[ame=http://youtu.be/pittRJ2fUIE]The Normal Christian Life (Part 2 of 4) - Watchman Nee - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/SvNiP0Lw1Ak]The Normal Christian Life (Part 3 of 4) - Watchman Nee - YouTube[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back