Pentacostal Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

Testing the Spirits

…3and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. 4You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. 5They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them.…

Cross References

John 12:31
Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out.

Romans 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 John 2:1
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

1 John 2:13
I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one.

Last edited:
Walk by your inner man. Greater is He that is in you that he who is in the world.

[ame=http://youtu.be/1fJMKfGVx20]Phil Driscoll - Inner man - YouTube[/ame]

Galatians 5:24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Cross References

Romans 6:6
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--

1 Corinthians 6:13
You say, "Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both." The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Last edited:
Galatians 5:16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

Living by the Spirit
16But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.…

Cross References

Genesis 6:3
Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years."

Romans 8:4
in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Romans 13:14
Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.

Galatians 5:24
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Galatians 5:25
Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

Last edited:
I had posted this Ravenvill sermon on another thread I had started but I am abandoning that one and will just post my Ravenhill sermons here instead. They belong on the Pentacostal Fire thread anyhow. Ravenhill and Tozer were two of my mentors and I thank God He gave me the very best preachers / teachings from men such as these. Even if I did have to study their teachings / sermons by their books! Today, we are blessed to have these sermons on youtube video! It is truly amazing what God has given us!

[ame=http://youtu.be/Uv59vWZfJB0]Agony by Leonard Ravenhill - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Sermon from William Gurnall - PRESUMPTUOUS SINS - http://www.ccel.org/ccel/gurnall/armour/files/armour.html

When the Christian boldly walks in sinful choices and then thinks he can console his aching conscience with his pardoned state and interest in Christ, he finds the cellar door to God's comforting promises locked fast. Christ has withdrawn and taken the keys with him. Because of pride, uncleanness, and earthly-mindedness he may ever cry out in strong tears as Mary did when she could not find Jesus body:
They have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him (John 20: 13).

Be careful, then, to defend yourself against these thieves of presumptuous sins. "The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord" (Proverbs 20:27) Has God lighted your candle and warmed your spirit by a sense of His love? If a robber from hell is allowed to touch this candle, your comfort will be snuffed out. Have you fallen into the hands of presumtuous sins which have stolen your peace? Then do not waste any time sending sincere repentance after them and raising a strong spirit of prayer and supplication.

As I have already warned, there is no time to delay. The farther you let these sins go without repentance, the harder you will find it to recover your peace and joy out of their hands. Yet know this - as you humbly return to God He is ready to restore to you the joy of your salvation and exact justice upon the enemies of your soul by His mortifying grace.

It is impossible for the Christian who is careless in his walk, infrequent or negligent in his communion with God, to enjoy true peace and comfort very long. Maybe you are not pouring presumptuous sins upon your joy to quench it. Well, you are not to be praised, your failure to feed it the oil of communion with God is enough to eat the heart out of your comfort. You can murder your own peace by starving it as well as stabbing it.

Last edited:
There is no other key like love to open the heart. - William Gurnall

Peace with God through Self Denial - exerpt of a sermon from William Gurnall - http://www.ccel.org/ccel/gurnall/armour/files/armour.html

Self-denial is a grace so necessary to suffering that Christ lays the whole weight of the cross on its back. "Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me" ( Mark 8:34 ) Some Christians, like Simon of Cyrene, may be compelled to carry Christ's cross after him only a short way. But the self-denying saint will stoop to his knees and wait for Christ to lay this burden on him. Now there are two ways that peace with God empowers the Christian in the kind of self-denial which prepares him for suffering.

Sin may well be called self because it cleaves as close to us as our human body. It is as hard to mortify a lust as it is to cut off an arm or a leg. yet when Christ and the Christian feast together with the "hidden manna" of pardon and peace, he can ask for the head of the proudest lust of all, and take it with less regret on the part of the saint than Herodias felt as she demanded the head of John the Baptist.

Last edited:
Imagine yourself living in the ages of Kings and castles and you have been offered employment as a servant at the grandest castle in all the land. The King is most exquisite and he pays you well to tend to his castle and keep it clean and in order while he is away. You do your work diligently, you do not work overtime without pay and you take your weekends to yourself.

Then one day the King returns for a time and you fall in love with him and he asks for your hand in marriage. You accept. Now He must go away again but you stay in the castle serving him night and day - out of love - not filthy lucre - your heart delights to know that when he returns everything will be as he likes it and you do your best each day to make sure that if he happens to come home that night - His castle will be as he would want it to be. Not only his castle as he would want it to be but you are waiting for him too! You keep yourself pure and prepare yourself both inwardly and outwardly for his return. Your heart is waiting for him. You do not go out to parties and waste your time on foolish things. You are waiting for your king to return.

That is the difference between serving Jesus because you love Him and serving Jesus for some other reason other than love. If love for Him is what compels you? You will endure until the end. If love for Him does not compel you? You will not endure to the end.

Jesus said, But he that shall endure unto the end the same shall be saved. Matthew 24: 13

Last edited:
Matthew 24:45 "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time?

Cross References

Proverbs 14:35
A king delights in a wise servant, but a shameful servant arouses his fury.

Proverbs 28:20
A faithful person will be richly blessed, but one eager to get rich will not go unpunished.

Matthew 7:24
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

Matthew 10:16
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Matthew 24:46
It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns.

Matthew 25:2
Five of them were foolish and five were wise.

Matthew 25:21
"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

Last edited:
Matthew 9:38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

9:35-38 Jesus visited not only the great and wealthy cities, but the poor, obscure villages; and there he preached, there he healed. The souls of the meanest in the world are as precious to Christ, and should be so to us, as the souls of those who make the greatest figure. There were priests, Levites, and scribes, all over the land; but they were idol shepherds, Zec 11:17; therefore Christ had compassion on the people as sheep scattered, as men perishing for lack of knowledge. To this day vast multitudes are as sheep not having a shepherd, and we should have compassion and do all we can to help them. The multitudes desirous of spiritual instruction formed a plenteous harvest, needing many active labourers; but few deserved that character.

Christ is the Lord of the harvest. Let us pray that many may be raised up and sent forth, who will labour in bringing souls to Christ. It is a sign that God is about to bestow some special mercy upon a people, when he stirs them up to pray for it. And commissions given to labourers in answer to prayer, are most likely to be successful.

Last edited:
When I read Matthew Henry's commentary it reminds me of Paul who was the greatest Apostle - yet before his conversion he was murdering Christians! What would have happened if Jesus could not trust the Christian He had instructed Paul to go to? Thank God the man obeyed the LORD and did as he was told to do! Let us do the same and be obedient servants submitted to God and led by the Holy Spirit. Some of the greatest sinners have become the greatest laborers for Christ!

Those who have been forgiven much love much! Christ is the LORD of the harvest! He knows who will come! Let us not presume to count any man as one who would not come to the LORD. Truly, we have no idea whose heart the LORD is speaking to!

he has claimed to raise the dead...heal the blind etc....notice he does not heal amputees nor deformed limbs..why is that.....why are only the invisible ailments healed?

Exactly. Reinhard "bong hit" Bonnke, is just another in a long list of charlatans who fleece the gullible. Faith healing gets a biggest audience in poor, impoverished areas such as sub-Saharan Africa.

Ripe for the pickens'.

Last edited by a moderator:
he has claimed to raise the dead...heal the blind etc....notice he does not heal amputees nor deformed limbs..why is that.....why are only the invisible ailments healed?

Exactly. Reinhard "bong hit" Bonnke, is just another in a long list of charlatans who fleece the gullible. Faith healing gets a biggest audience in poor, impoverished areas such as sub-Saharan Africa.

Ripe for the pickens'.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me say this, Guno. I know that not all men serve God out of heart of love for Him. I know that all men do not have a right heart about their handling of the Word of God, money, testimonies, etc. It grieves me to hear of what some have done but I do my best not make comment about it other than to God when I pray. On the other hand! I know there are false prophets. False teaching I will challenge because Christians are to defend the faith and expose false teachings and many of those are living the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Some are living in sins of adultery and others have repented from such sins.

Still, on the matter of sins ( not false preachers but fallen preachers ) how can I know the heart of any man as to whether he repented even last night? Perhaps they did! I cannot judge another mans servant nor will I but I agree with Ravenhill on the matter of the Gospel and I have more than once reminded Christians that Paul had one coat!

I do not attend any of these churches that preach prosperity and a gospel of hedonism. I do not attend a church but have church at home! If anything I have been consistently preaching against the prosperity gospel on this board - still I do know Bonke has given his life to preaching to the poorest of the poor and I see no sign of his having stolen money, merchandising the gospel or anything of the sort. I believe the man's heart is pure. Again, if he were a false teacher I would be the first to agree with you but he isn't.

It is good to see you, Guno. I read your comment about a man who was suffering and you said something that confirmed to me what I have always sensed from the beginning about you. You are a very precious Jewish man! You truly do care about the down trodden and those who are suffering. I know this is you. I could not say it if I didn't believe it was true.

I told the LORD the other night that you remind me of a rare jewel. Then I suddenly thought about your being Jewish and the word Jew - El came to me. I do not believe it was any coincidence that God decided to call the most precious of stones - even living stones - ( another sermon entirely! ) Jewels. Jew - El. Just something I thought I would share with you. I hope you do not think I am silly for mentioning it. You never know! It could very well be God had that in mind when he came up with that word Jewel!

Here, Guno. I found this for you to expound on what I felt was a precious revelation from the LORD about jew-el's and even you!

Malachi 3:17 "On the day when I act," says the LORD Almighty, "they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him.

The Book of Remembrance
16Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. 17"They will be Mine," says the LORD of hosts, "on the day that I prepare My own possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his own son who serves him." 18So you will again distinguish between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve Him.

Last edited:
Imagine yourself living in the ages of Kings and castles and you have been offered employment as a servant at the grandest castle in all the land. The King is most exquisite and he pays you well to tend to his castle and keep it clean and in order while he is away. You do your work diligently, you do not work overtime without pay and you take your weekends to yourself.

Then one day the King returns for a time and you fall in love with him and he asks for your hand in marriage. You accept. Now He must go away again but you stay in the castle serving him night and day - out of love - not filthy lucre - your heart delights to know that when he returns everything will be as he likes it and you do your best each day to make sure that if he happens to come home that night - His castle will be as he would want it to be. Not only his castle as he would want it to be but you are waiting for him too! You keep yourself pure and prepare yourself both inwardly and outwardly for his return. Your heart is waiting for him. You do not go out to parties and waste your time on foolish things. You are waiting for your king to return.

That is the difference between serving Jesus because you love Him and serving Jesus for some other reason other than love. If love for Him is what compels you? You will endure until the end. If love for Him does not compel you? You will not endure to the end.

Jesus said, But he that shall endure unto the end the same shall be saved. Matthew 24: 13

Returning back to where we left off, he that shall endure unto the end the same shall be saved..... I used the analogy of a King and his servant because if you are a born again Christian that is what you are called to be. A servant. So with that said, let's move on to what enduring to the end means. You see, in America we have yet to see tribulation as chinese christians have seen tribulation, we have yet to see tribulation such as Christians in North Korea have seen tribulation. Christians in the west have the idea that we are never going to see the first sign of tribulation but rather that we will all be raptured before that time of trial comes. I found this sermon by Michael Boldea less than ten minutes ago and found the content to be quite a timely message. So I will post that sermon here for others to read.

* I do believe the Christians will be caught up with Jesus -some would call it the rapture although that word is not found in the bible. I believe we will be caught up to meet the LORD in the air immediately AFTER the great tribulation because that is when Jesus told us he would return for us in Matt. 24.

This is a sermon by Michael Boldea, Jr. Entitled, KEPT - Being kept by the power of God is a very interesting subject. This sermon will bless you.

1 Peter 1:5, “Who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.”
There is a marked difference between being kept and being spared. Though many today hope against hope that there was a misprint in the Bible, or that the translation from the original Greek got a little wonky along the way, nowhere in the Book does it say we will be spared trials, afflictions or tribulations, but rather that we will be kept through them by the power of God, through faith for salvation.

I realize full well that many believers today feel as though they are entitled to be spared trials and tribulations. They feel as though they are deserving to not be called upon to endure hardships or afflictions, but oddly enough this sort of believer is mostly clustered in western nations, who have, as yet, not had to endure for the cause of Christ, or suffer what so many throughout the world are currently suffering today.

There seems to be a total disconnect between what other Christians are going through in many other nations on the globe, and what we feel we are entitled to or believe salvation, reconciliation, and redemption to be.

We have redefined salvation over and over again until all it means for many people today is God giving us stuff, making us rich, improving our self-esteem and giving us our dream spouse. Never mind the fact that none of these things were either implied or inferred in the Bible, nor were they promised by Jesus in any way. Never mind the fact that all our expectations seem to be geared toward the earthly, the banal, the temporal and the meaningless; it’s all good as long as we can find a way to spiritualize greed and covetousness.

It is because of the false view and understanding many have concerning salvation and the promises of God that I believe the soon coming falling away will be shattering even to those now considered pessimists and doomsayers.

When we look at what much of the church is expecting of God – because the leaders are teaching them over and over again that these are the things they ought to expect – we can see a perfect storm brewing, wherein a great majority of today’s professing Christians will feel as though God failed them, abandoned them, and left them to suffer needlessly. They will not blame the men they followed, and they will not look to the Word to see that what they believed was a lie. They will simply shake their fists at God as Israel of old, deranged by their anger and bitterness toward Him.

Understanding the difference between being kept and being spared is necessary in order to be in the right frame of mind so that one might endure to the end. If I perceive my trials and tribulations as God’s means of refining me and proving the genuineness of my faith, then I will suffer joyfully towards this end. If, however, I perceive my trials and tribulations as something I ought to have been spared from, as something I was promised I would be spared from, then I will inevitably grow bitter and disillusioned while going through them, doing my utmost to spare myself and avoid said trials altogether.

Peter was not a novice when it came to trials, or the notion of being kept through them rather than being spared from them. It was to Peter that Jesus said, ‘Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith should not fail.’

Why not pray for him that he might be spared the sifting? Why not pray for him that he might be able to avoid the trial altogether? Why just pray that his faith should not fail? Because the genuineness of our faith must be tested, that it may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
What keeps us is not ourselves, it is not our own strength, it is not our own tolerance for hardship or pain, but rather the power of God, through faith, for salvation.

We are kept by the power of God, and knowing that the power of God is supreme above all powers, we rest in the knowledge that He will carry us through, being ever faithful and true.

With love in Christ,
Michael Boldea Jr.

https://www.handofhelp.com/blogview.php?id=21+July+2014,+12:00+pm

Last edited:
Today has been such a beautiful day! I thank Jesus for giving me my salvation and blessing my life with such peace and joy! I thank Jesus! I am so blessed! I want others to be blessed and to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior too! Then they too will be singing this song! I am so blessed!

[ame=http://youtu.be/USWD2MQRfTU]THANK YOU, GOD - I AM SO BLESSED - YouTube[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back