Perfect: Yale students protest against free speech conference

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Gawd, this is just fabulous: YOUNG: Free speech, not disruption

A conference called "The Future of Free Speech" was disrupted by protesters at Yale who didn't like the speakers. From the piece, my bold:

The Woodward Report called the “free interchange of ideas” indispensable to the fulfillment of a university’s mission. At Yale, we must work together to vigorously defend free speech as the report envisions. We must make an effort to engage in meaningful and respectful dialogue — even with those that vehemently disagree.

And a great post in the comments section:

What in the world is wrong with my generation? When did we all grow into such whiny, entitled, crying, oversensitive babies? How in the world are these the people that populate the halls supposedly reserved only for the best and brightest? Sooner or later, these children will need to realize that the World will not always bend to their will, and that they're going to have to learn to live with it. As an Asian, I could give a damn if someone dresses up as Mulan or dons yellow face. It doesn't belittle me or make me uncomfortable in any way because my existence and self worth doesn't hinge on the uniform acceptance of others.

No doubt the PC Police here will chime in with deflection, diversion, denial and catty comments.

Go!

I just wrote Zach, maybe he'll join us here? Some of the comments were beauts - nah we ain't racists. He may fit right in with the racial deniers. Odd how some things are denied as the house floats away. Wrong metaphor huh.

What can republicans do for blacks? | Page 25 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

and here is the deflection, right on schedule.
Did I call it, or did I call it?

Sometimes this place is too easy.

A conference called "The Future of Free Speech" was disrupted by protesters at Yale who didn't like the speakers. From the piece, my bold:

The Woodward Report called the “free interchange of ideas” indispensable to the fulfillment of a university’s mission. At Yale, we must work together to vigorously defend free speech as the report envisions. We must make an effort to engage in meaningful and respectful dialogue — even with those that vehemently disagree.

What in the world is wrong with my generation? When did we all grow into such whiny, entitled, crying, oversensitive babies? How in the world are these the people that populate the halls supposedly reserved only for the best and brightest? Sooner or later, these children will need to realize that the World will not always bend to their will, and that they're going to have to learn to live with it. As an Asian, I could give a damn if someone dresses up as Mulan or dons yellow face. It doesn't belittle me or make me uncomfortable in any way because my existence and self worth doesn't hinge on the uniform acceptance of others.

No doubt the PC Police here will chime in with deflection, diversion, denial and catty comments.

Go!
We used to call it having a chip on your shoulder or wearing your feelings on your sleeve.

Now it's called racism, political-correctness, or microagression.

It's not just students. It's whacked out lefty faculty as well. I just found an article where the Mizzou Communications prof calls for muscle against a student journalist.

The moment University of Missouri activists - including a media professor - encircled student ESPN photographer and tried to kick him out of public protests

From the article.

"Concentrating their efforts on Tai, the activists forgot about Schierbecker and he took the opportunity to walk up to a middle aged protester, later identified as Missouri assistant mass media professor Melissa Click.

Click walks up the reporter and tells him to leave and grabs his camera before enlisting the help of others.

'Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?' she yells out. 'I need some muscle over here.'

Missouri media professor tried to kick photographer out of protests

ETA: Just found her picture. YIKES! And she's teaching journalism?

2E4E06D900000578-3311950-image-m-18_1447163612816.jpg

2E4E06DD00000578-3311950-image-m-19_1447163646193.jpg

Touching: Click is even seen grabbing the man's camera. 'Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?' she calls out. 'I need some muscle over here.

Last edited:
It's not just students. It's whacked out lefty faculty as well. I just found an article where the Mizzou Communications prof calls for muscle against a student journalist.

The moment University of Missouri activists - including a media professor - encircled student ESPN photographer and tried to kick him out of public protests

From the article.

"Concentrating their efforts on Tai, the activists forgot about Schierbecker and he took the opportunity to walk up to a middle aged protester, later identified as Missouri assistant mass media professor Melissa Click.

Click walks up the reporter and tells him to leave and grabs his camera before enlisting the help of others.

'Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?' she yells out. 'I need some muscle over here.'

Missouri media professor tried to kick photographer out of protests
The insanity continues.

the irony of goose-stepping, brown-shirt, fascist-wannabe left-wingers trying to stifle free speech is lost on their melon-heads. The hypocrisy is clouding their judgement.

Go!
A fight over Free Speech? That's how it works eh...

the irony of goose-stepping, brown-shirt, fascist-wannabe left-wingers trying to stifle free speech is lost on their melon-heads. The hypocrisy is clouding their judgement.
What I don't know for sure is whether they actually don't see it, or won't admit to seeing it.

Go!

Only if both sides are engaging in free speech. But then, one side, the students, do not want a word from their opposition.

Go!

Only if both sides are engaging in free speech. But then, one side, the students, do not want a word from their opposition.
Didn't see that actually. Care to point that out?

What I don't know for sure is whether they actually don't see it, or won't admit to seeing it.
Sounds like the fight was over more free speech, not less...
They were doing precisely what is happening on other college campuses - they were disrupting a perfectly civil and legal proceeding.

They have no interest in "free speech". They want to disrupt free speech with which they disagree.

Sounds like the fight was over more free speech, not less...
They were doing precisely what is happening on other college campuses - they were disrupting a perfectly civil and legal proceeding.

They have no interest in "free speech". They want to disrupt free speech with which they disagree.
Actually it sounded like they wanted to say their peace eh? That is free speech, boys...

Go!

Read the article from the atlantic. Its a very good in-depth piece. You should be able to surmise and ascertain as much from the article.

The New Intolerance of Student Activism

Go!

Read the article from the atlantic. Its a very good in-depth piece. You should be able to surmise and ascertain as much from the article.

The New Intolerance of Student Activism
Can't say that I care. I'm a liberal, talk it up, boys, that's why we invented free speech...

Actually it sounded like they wanted to say their peace eh? That is free speech, boys...
And this is precisely the tactic of the Regressive Left:

Leverage their freedom of expression to disrupt or deny that of those with whom they disagree.

Using our own freedoms against us.

Textbook. No pun intended.

It used to be, college was one's first exposure to the real world. Now they want to continue to shield young adults even into adulthood. No wonder so many today can't deal successfully in the real world.

It used to be, college was one's first exposure to the real world. Now they want to continue to shield young adults even into adulthood. No wonder so many today can't deal successfully in the real world.
Yep, bastions of freedom of expression, passionate debate, open minds, new ideas.

Today, if someone disagrees with you, they'll do everything they can to shut you down.

They don't want to hear it, and they don't want anyone else to hear it, either.

Sad to see.

Forum List

Back