Perkins: The rich should get more votes

Hmmm, interesting. What say you?

Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes - Feb. 14, 2014

Tom Perkins suggested Thursday that only taxpayers should have the right to vote -- and that wealthy Americans who pay more in taxes should get more votes.

I would alter his proposal to only allow people who pay taxes to vote on income redistribution through a national referendum. We then limit all other government expenditures to maintenance of government.

that person chose to make 100 off of selling refrigerators.
He had the same right to make 100 off of venture capital and pay less in tax.

Equal right does not mean equal opportunity.

no it doesn't.

Equal rights are protected by law.

One must strive for opportunity.

All people may be created equal...but not all people have the same desire...and most certainly, not all people define success the same way.

Sure. But not all people have to strive for opportunity. And many people, not matter how much they pursue it, will ever find many opportunities. To use the example of venture capitalists, one needs substantial financial means. Usually more than most people will ever have at their disposal. So even though they have an equal right to become venture capitalists, most people will never truly have the opportunity.

That being said, I don't think that it's necessary for all people to eventually find such an opportunity. But we can't really say that a venture capitalist has done anything to earn their income being treated preferentially than the man who sells refrigerators.

Waiting for the first corporate stooge to arrive here and say "He's right".

It's actually a widely held position by the rightwing inmates here, or least some variation of it.

no it isn't.

Maybe one or two.....but on the most part, conservatives believe all US citizens MUST have the right to vote

Ha ha ho ho tee hee, awww, come on. That's a joke, right?

If they had stopped with "voter ID", you might have been able to make a point.

Tax deductions are not entitlements, no matter how much you want to spin it that way.

Sure they are

If you receive a tax deduction and others who make the same as you do not....that is an entitlement

No, it isn't. Entitlements involve checks from the government, not you not having to pay the government because of X.

It amounts to the same. If your federal income tax bill is reduced by several thousand dollars because you have kids,

that is a loss of several thousand dollars in revenue that has to be made up somewhere else, by someone else.

Hmmm, interesting. What say you?

Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes - Feb. 14, 2014

Tom Perkins suggested Thursday that only taxpayers should have the right to vote -- and that wealthy Americans who pay more in taxes should get more votes.

and he is correct. Only those who pay income taxes should have the right to vote.

LOL, now where's that poster who claimed I was wrong when I said these ideas were quite popular with the right around here?

btw, do conservatives ever have any ideas that aren't totally crackpot?

and he is correct. Only those who pay income taxes should have the right to vote.

LOL, now where's that poster who claimed I was wrong when I said these ideas were quite popular with the right around here?

ALL conservative ideas are intelligent.

but the brainwashed leftards have no intelligence so they can not comprehend them.

only idiots do not understand that voting for own handouts ends the violent way.

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill

John Stuart Mill Quotes - BrainyQuote

who cares what some leftard brain farts :rolleyes:

I have yet to meet a really intelligent person who is also a militant leftard.
that does not exist together.

so MY quite will be exactly the opposite - although it is not true that all leftards are idiots but the vast majority of idiots are leftards :D

Last edited:

but the brainwashed leftards have no intelligence so they can not comprehend them.

only idiots do not understand that voting for own handouts ends the violent way.

I beg to differ. Through out the ages, militarism, nationalism and racism have been standard conservative ideas. Not intelligent ideas by any means.

Last edited:

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill

so MY quite will be exactly the opposite - although it is not true that all leftards are idiots but the vast majority of idiots are leftards :D

When you meet a really intelligent person who is also a militant conservatard, let us all know, because there certainly aren't any here or anywhere else.

You are still wrong. I fail to see where one or 2 people suddenly equates to ‘quite popular.’ There have been far more on the right here stating that the idea is bad but I guess the colored glasses you are wearing does not allow you to see those posts at all.

Talk about an epic fail.

When you meet a really intelligent person who is also a militant conservatard, let us all know, because there certainly aren't any here or anywhere else.
You're quite right. Militant behavior is rare among intelligent people. Protests, for example, bear this out. The Occupiers, Code Pink, the militant animals rights groups, and all the rest on the left let their presences be known well after their stated purposes. TEA Partiers, on the other hand, have seldom left litter, vandalized property, or behaved lewdly in public during their rallies.

Of course under this plan, if the Rich voted themselves lower taxes, they'd lose those extra votes next time around.

Here I thought the left told us that the rich control the country. Tell me what non-rich person serves now in congress. Certainly not the 1 percenter in the WH.

The democrats have a different solution, disenfranchise the military vote.

Obama Campaign Sues to Disenfranchise Military Voters | RedState

Having only tax payers vote is interesting because I know of no one that doesn't pay taxes. I guess he means federal income tax. If we did that then the question would be how much federal income tax.

I am not sure what his goal may be. We have the richest of the rich now in congress does he think Bill Gates or Warren Buffet would get elected? Hell we have the Antoinette family in the WH how much richer does he want?

Forum List

Back