Personal Experiences with the Divine

Who knows? Do you? To put GOD in the blank is what you guys have always historically done when you can't explain something.
Who's you guys? The evidence points to a creator for me so I'm a theist. I don't take it any farther than that but it's a matter of faith, just like you. You believe in scientific answers that don't exist yet.

a few years back, I was at a meeting of the church council......someone came in to tell us that a member had been diagnosed with cancer and was going to have surgery the following morning.....over the previous couple of years we had lost several members to cancer and we had become known in the community for a congregation that provided a lot of care and support for cancer victims and their survivors.......we were praying and someone said, "Lord, we are getting tired of having people say we know how to deal with death......this time, let us be known for celebrating life......you said that if we ask for bread, you won't give us stones"......as we were praying the temperature in the room dropped about ten degrees and the hair on my arms stood up......I opened my eyes and it was obvious the other twenty people in the room had experienced it as well......

the next day when she went through surgery they couldn't find any cancer......

Most alleged miracles can be explained as statistically unlikely occurrences.
most of your posts can be explained as unfortunate accidents of nature.....

Who knows? Do you? To put GOD in the blank is what you guys have always historically done when you can't explain something.
Who's you guys? The evidence points to a creator for me so I'm a theist. I don't take it any farther than that but it's a matter of faith, just like you. You believe in scientific answers that don't exist yet.

No I don't believe in answers that don't exist yet. What I do is remain open to all possibilities and skeptical of stories that don't make sense.

Who's you guys? Theists.

And the evidence does not point to a creator in fact the "evidence" beyond your superstitions and wishful thinking shows there is no god. Or at least zero evidence YET. Why there is no god

And of course you don't think about it too deeply. Clearly you haven't thought it through any deeper than on a basic level.

Why there is no god

Last thing. If man didn't invent god, how come we did invent all the organized religions that have come and gone? We made up Zeus but not Jesus or Mohammad?

See what you are doing? You are cherry picking and not thinking clearly. You didn't say you were a Christian Muslim or Jew. You just said you believe in god. So then you must be admitting that you don't buy into the organized religions. If you don't, why don't you? Because they are corrupt and man made? If that's possible, so too might god. In fact its highly likely.

So you keep believing in a god and don't put that much thought into it. That would make you just like the rest of your fellow theists who haven't put that much thought into it either.

No I don't believe in answers that don't exist yet. What I do is remain open to all possibilities and skeptical of stories that don't make sense.
Cool. Then you aren't an atheist. The word is agnostic.
Who's you guys? Theists.

And the evidence does not point to a creator in fact the "evidence" beyond your superstitions and wishful thinking shows there is no god. Or at least zero evidence YET. Why there is no god

And of course you don't think about it too deeply. Clearly you haven't thought it through any deeper than on a basic level.

Why there is no god

Last thing. If man didn't invent god, how come we did invent all the organized religions that have come and gone? We made up Zeus but not Jesus or Mohammad?

See what you are doing? You are cherry picking and not thinking clearly. You didn't say you were a Christian Muslim or Jew. You just said you believe in god. So then you must be admitting that you don't buy into the organized religions. If you don't, why don't you? Because they are corrupt and man made? If that's possible, so too might god. In fact its highly likely.

So you keep believing in a god and don't put that much thought into it. That would make you just like the rest of your fellow theists who haven't put that much thought into it either.
Like most self professed atheists, you're confused and you're an asshole. Exactly my point in the beginning. You don't decide for me what proof I see looking at the world around me. You also can't read because it apparently is blocked by your fundamentalism. I said I wasn't religious, period. I didn't "admit" to anything.

Attacking religions is all you have for proof of a secular creation event. That's too much faith for me.

Who's you guys? Theists.

Why there is no god

Like most self professed atheists, you're confused and you're an asshole. Exactly my point in the beginning. You don't decide for me what proof I see looking at the world around me. You also can't read because it apparently is blocked by your fundamentalism. I said I wasn't religious, period. I didn't "admit" to anything.

Attacking religions is all you have for proof of a secular creation event. That's too much faith for me.

Most atheists admit that the most logical position to have is agnostic atheism because you would have to be a god yourself to know for sure AND agnostic is giving theists too much credit.

I'm an agnostic atheist when it comes to generic god but an atheist when it comes to Jesus, Mo or Joe's god(s). Don't buy a word of it.

You said you aren't religious but you still believe in god?

Who's you guys? Theists.

Why there is no god

I can’t believe/understand a world without God OR No god is too unlikely.
Argument from incredulity / Lack of imagination and Argumentum ad Ignorantiam. Ignores and does not eliminate the fact that something can seem incredible or unlikely and still be true, or appear to be obvious or likely and yet still be false.

The world is the way it is. Reality does not bend to our personal whim and facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. Our personal belief in something does not automatically make it real or true and, conversely, our lack of understanding of a topic does not make it false.

Until we understand something we “do not know”. Positing a ‘god’ in place of admitting personal ignorance is an unfounded leap which demonstrates a fundamental lack of humility.

The existence and non-existence of a god are not equally probable outcomes. The majority of things we can possibly imagine do not exist. Thus, belief is not as valid a position as skepticism when dealing with unsupported or unfalsifiable claims. Agnostic atheism is the most rational position.

See also: Critical thinking (a must watch), Richard Feynman on Doubt and Uncertainty (a must watch).

“It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” – Carl Sagan

“God is an ever-receding pocket of ignorance that’s getting smaller and smaller as time goes on.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Militant atheists are just as bad as religious ones.
No, they’re not. There are no calls for slavery, rape or murder in the atheist holy book.

Atheists are most often called ‘militant’ when they passionately defend reason and advocate critical thinking. The bar theists set for perceived hostility appears to be any atheist simply voicing an opinion in dissent of religious belief. In contrast, the bar atheists set for perceived theistic hostility is any form of religiously motivated violence or oppression.

Atheism does not preclude someone from being argumentative or insensitive; those things are simply seen as being preferable to killing one another over an imaginary friend.

A ‘militant’ atheist will debate in a University or appeal for the separation of religion and government. A militant theist will kill doctors, stone women to death, incite religious war, restrict sexual and gender equality and convince children they are flawed and worthless – all under the instruction of their imagined ‘god’ or holy book.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as a ‘militant’ atheist, that the term is itself a misnomer, because there is simply no ideology or philosophy in atheism to be militant about. If an atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods, then a ‘militant’ atheist is apparently someone who passionately lacks a belief in gods. All other possible beliefs and ideologies – including any desire to oppress theism – come from outside atheism. This is in contrast to religious belief, which often includes a set of laws and commandments purportedly derived from a supernatural source about which one can be ‘militant’.

Note: ‘Militant’ atheism is most often confused with gosateizm (state atheism), which was based on the ideology of Marxism-Leninism. It was this ideology which was responsible for the oppression and murder of theists under several 20th century communist regimes. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods with no inherit moral, political or philosophical baggage.

See also: The Ethics of Belief (a must read), Richard Dawkins on Militant Atheism, Christian Terrorism, Islamic Terrorism, Atheist Terrorism (no link found).

“I’m sorry if my insensitivity towards your beliefs offends you. But guess what – your religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, forcing girls into underage marriages, female genital mutilation, stoning, pederasty, homophobia and rejection of science and reason offend me. So I guess we’re even.” – Anonymous

Until we understand something we “do not know”. Positing a ‘god’ in place of admitting personal ignorance is an unfounded leap which demonstrates a fundamental lack of humility.
Typical atheistic smarmy assholism. We know the universe is here, life is here, positing it was a secular cause is nothing more than the religious views you hate. The difference is that the theist is honest.

Most atheists admit that the most logical position to have is agnostic atheism because you would have to be a god yourself to know for sure AND agnostic is giving theists too much credit.

I'm an agnostic atheist when it comes to generic god but an atheist when it comes to Jesus, Mo or Joe's god(s). Don't buy a word of it.

Agnostic atheism? LOL.

Typical atheistic smarmy assholism. We know the universe is here, life is here, positing it was a secular cause is nothing more than the religious views you hate. The difference is that the theist is honest.

Theists are honest when they tell you god talked to Adam, Moses, Noah & Jonah?

Agnostic atheism? LOL.

That's right. Number 22 on a website Why there is no god says:

Belief is not as valid a position as skepticism when dealing with unsupported or unfalsifiable claims because all such claims would need to be believed implicitly. Agnostic atheism is the most rational position.

Take 10 minutes to watch this video so you understand.

Or just keep talking stupid.

Theists are honest when they tell you god talked to Adam, Moses, Noah & Jonah?
Yes, they say so as a matter of faith. Christianity is a faith. Atheism is a faith. Next question...

I don't have faith because my disbelief is based on proof.

A proof is sufficient evidence or an argument for the truth of a proposition.

Sufficient enough for me anyways. lol.

I think this is more than sufficient proof that god is made up. Why there is no god

What sufficient proof are you giving that god is real? Please don't use the bible because that book is man made up. Besides your ancient texts, what proof do you have any god(s) exist?

Or maybe I can't provide PROOF because I'm not claiming the truth of a proposition. In other words, I'm not the one claiming a god exists. I'm just saying BULLSHIT to your claims. So it should be theists who have to give sufficient proof of their proposition.

And don't get mad and say we are evil or we are going to hell if we don't believe you. That's just like how they say never lose your temper in an argument because if you do you automatically lose. Even if you are right. So by telling us we will go to hell if we don't believe you makes me immediately think you are fos.

I think this is more than sufficient proof that god is made up. Why there is no god

What sufficient proof are you giving that god is real? Please don't use the bible because that book is man made up. Besides your ancient texts, what proof do you have any god(s) exist?
You've made it clear that you believe in a secular cause. There is no evidence that life and the universe can jumpstart itself. Therefore, you have faith in your beliefs. You just can't be honest about it for some reason.

You are also a full on, no holds barred retard. I've said at least four times that I'm not religious. You brought up the bible and continue to do so.

You have supported my first comment that atheism in this culture is a primarily anti-Christian movement.

Or maybe I can't provide PROOF because I'm not claiming the truth of a proposition. In other words, I'm not the one claiming a god exists. I'm just saying BULLSHIT to your claims. So it should be theists who have to give sufficient proof of their proposition.

And don't get mad and say we are evil or we are going to hell if we don't believe you. That's just like how they say never lose your temper in an argument because if you do you automatically lose. Even if you are right. So by telling us we will go to hell if we don't believe you makes me immediately think you are fos.
Look Einstein. I don't believe in hell and I'm not making any goddamn claims. Can you get that through your thick skull? I said I'm convinced of a god, I don't give a flip what you believe. But if you make a statement of faith I'll call you on it.

You've made it clear that you believe in a secular cause. There is no evidence that life and the universe can jumpstart itself. Therefore, you have faith in your beliefs. You just can't be honest about it for some reason.

You are also a full on, no holds barred retard. I've said at least four times that I'm not religious. You brought up the bible and continue to do so.

You have supported my first comment that atheism in this culture is a primarily anti-Christian movement.

Hard to keep track of you theist apologists.

Also, you are wrong. In fact, something can come from nothing and we are able to observe it in the form of virtual particles and quantum vacuum fluctuations. They explain why the early universe lack uniformity and provided the seeds for the emergence of structure. These quantum phenomena are also causeless in the sense that they are objectively and irreducibly random, a fact confirmed by tests of non-local realism and Bell’s Theorem.

Look Einstein. I don't believe in hell and I'm not making any goddamn claims. Can you get that through your thick skull? I said I'm convinced of a god, I don't give a flip what you believe. But if you make a statement of faith I'll call you on it.

Then you are a cherry picker just like most other theists who believe in generic god for no good reason.

Oh YOU are convinced? Then there must be a god! Stop the presses!

And just remember, I don't give a shit what you think either until you start suggesting we should be a Christian nation.

I know, you aren't a Christian. Whatever. Who cares? There are so many of you bastardized theists it is hard to keep track of you all. Eventually I'll remember you are a generic retard not one that belongs to any one organized religion. At least with them they believe a story. You don't even believe the story yet still you remain ignorant.

That's ok because so did I for many years too. After I abandoned Christianity I was a generic god follower for many years and some atheists were kind enough to open my eyes and help me evolve all the way to where I no longer believe superstitious fairytales.

And since you don't believe in hell, I really don't have a beef with you. You generic theists are harmless. You all admit you believe for no other reason than you want to believe or you can't believe any other way. Now that is faith.

you can deny the existence of God till the cows come home. It doesn't change the reality of my experiences or the experiences of countless others.

I know by the power of the Holy Spirit that our Heavenly Father is real and Jesus Christ lives. The same way I know you are real.

I'm not alone or special in knowing. The Lord reveals Himself to those that seek Him. He always has. And always will.

Agnostic atheism? LOL.

number 21 on that link answers this comment.

Forum List

Back