Pet Peeves

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011

This is certainly just the point of view of whoever wrote the article, but to think about...

Phrases like “summers off” or “short day, short year.”

No matter how teachers try to spin it, teachers work fewer hours than other professionals

180 days a year is still not 230 days a year

Your school day is still six hours, trying to say it is eight hours does not cut it. Other professionals work uncompensated hours after work and weekends too

Last edited:
The list started off with completely reasonable irritations and gradually turned into a defense of power and control.

For instance, #5 -- assumptions about dress and professionalism. You want men who wear giant prosthetic breasts to school to be above reproach?

#6 -- Unsolicited advice from non-professionals -- yes, you do not want any input from parents, the ACTUAL people you are working for.

#7 -- Challenge to our expertise -- this one is a real authoritarian doozy. Teacher supremacy cannot be challenged, especially when they teach little children to be transexuals or show books to 10-year-olds showing boys giving blow jobs.

Teachers do not OWN children. Teachers SHOULD be held accountable. This piece has been engineered to lead to the conclusion that teachers are inviolate.

#7 -- Challenge to our expertise -- this one is a real authoritarian doozy. Teacher supremacy cannot be challenged.....

You (deliberately?) misread this entirely. On this very site many people have declared with absolute certainty that "teachers are not professionals" and/or "anyone can do your job."

Don’t try to sell that crap
I went to school and had kids and saw assignments given
Not much goes beyond what can be done in six hours
Does a kindergarten teacher have work to take home?
Does a Phys Ed teacher work after hours?
How about an Art or Music Teacher?

So much today is computer tests and assignments. Automatically scored.

Yes term papers and special projects may take longer to review but they are not the norm.

Teachers are lazy and want to get home. Much of the curriculum, assignments and tests are boiler plate and not created by the teacher

Phrases like “summers off” or “short day, short year.”

No matter how teachers try to spin it, teachers work fewer hours than other professionals

180 days a year is still not 230 days a year

Your school day is still six hours, trying to say it is eight hours does not cut it. Other professionals work uncompensated hours after work and weekends too
I'm not sure about that Rightwinger.

My dad was an educator for almost 50 years, and I recall his days in the classroom before he eventually became an administrator.

When I was a kid, I used to get angry at him when he would bring papers home to grade, or write lesson plans on the weekends, because I wanted him to throw baseballs or play basketball with me. And that was way back in the early 60's.

I would guess that teachers now work harder and longer with less resources.

It's an underappreciated profession, IMO.

I'm not sure about that Rightwinger. My dad was an educator for almost 50 years, and I recall his days in the classroom before he eventually became an administrator.

When I was a kid, I used to get angry at him when he would bring papers home to grade, or write lesson plans on the weekends, because I wanted him to throw baseballs or play basketball with me.

In olden times, Teachers wrote curriculums, created their own tests, everything was written and scored by hand.

Now, it is in preplanned lesson plans with homework assignments, tests done on a computer

Does a K-4 Teacher take much work home?
Does a Phys Ed, Art or Music Teacher take work home?

I agree there are times a teacher will have to take work home, but not every day for over ten hours a week

Our teachers here just got a 7 percent raise for next year. I'm happy for them. The school board approved it 7 zip.

In olden times, Teachers wrote curriculums, created their own tests, everything was written and scored by hand.

Now, it is in preplanned lesson plans with homework assignments, tests done on a computer

Does a K-4 Teacher take much work home?
Does a Phys Ed, Art or Music Teacher take work home?

I agree there are times a teacher will have to take work home, but not every day for over ten hours a week
My daughter is currently an educator as well in a high school, and prior to that, taught 3rd grade in a K-6 grade school, and she put in the same kind of work that her grandfather(my father) did.

I didnt work in the education field before I retired, however, speaking ONLY from what I've personally seen, the workload for a dedicated teacher goes beyond 6 hours per day.

Granted, there may be some teachers who get by doing the bare minimum, as in any profession.

Forum List

Back