Petition to require drug tests for ALL individuals receiving government aid

Nortuss

Rookie
Sep 27, 2013
In February of 2013, the Indiana House passed Bill 1483, a very half-hearted measure to "drug test selected individuals receiving Welfare benefits". The Bill takes half of the individuals receiving Welfare/TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) and makes these individuals take a written test regarding illegal drug use. If an individual is actually honest regarding drug use or somehow manages to accidentally elude to the fact that they abuse drugs, only then will a drug test be administered.

Under this policy, individuals that fail drug tests will continue to receive the exact same benefits "as long as the individual is seeking rehabilitation" (see also: attending one AA meeting per week actually counts). The Bill does not offer any explanation as to punishment for individuals not seeking treatment or those who continue to fail drug screenings.

Bill 1483 only applies to those receiving Welfare/TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) benefits and does not require individuals receiving Food Stamps/EBT/SNAP and/or Medicaid to undergo drug tests.

Billions of tax dollars every year support government aid programs. Individuals receiving those benefits should be giving back to their local community through community service work. No one can label these benefits as "a free ride" if individuals receiving these types of assistance are in fact doing what they can in order to contribute to their local communities as well.

Please do not remove this post. You may not realize that this cause is important to you if you're not an Indiana resident. The more individual states ramp up qualifications and change policies, the more likely other states are to follow suit.

Share with like-minded individuals you know via Facebook, Twitter, etc.

To learn more about Bill 1483 or to sign the petition, please visit:
change.org/petitions/indiana-general-assembly-provide-random-drug-tests-to-all-individuals-receiving-food-stamps-tanf-welfare-medicaid-provide-harsher-punishment-for-failed-tests-require-those-receiving-aid-to-perform-community-service-work

I'm fine with anyone on the dole having to piss in a cup. Dignity is for people that aren't getting a hand out.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
Let me guess...conservative nutter trying to get government out of people's lives?

So, you want to spend more money testing people for droogs before they get a hand out? Seems counterproductive.

I'm fine with anyone on the dole having to piss in a cup. Dignity is for people that aren't getting a hand out.

Does that go for everyone "on the dole" like farmers, corporations and SS recipients? How about everyone who gets a gubmint grant, gubmint backed student loan and every veteran taking advantage of vet benefits?

Last edited:
Let me guess...conservative nutter trying to get government out of people's lives?

Nah, trying to make sure that folks aren't spending their Welfare checks that my taxes pay for on drugs - and wanting those getting freebies to give something back for once.

Does that go for everyone "on the dole" like farmers, corporations and SS recipients? How about everyone who gets a gubmint grant, gubmint backed student loan and every veteran taking advantage of vet benefits?

Maybe later, but we can start with people on traditional welfare programs.

Reread the original post. This petition include Welfare/TANF, Food Stamps/EBT/SNAP and Medicaid only. If people on these assistance programs are using their benefits wisely and aren't doing drugs, what is there to worry about?

I'm required to take random drug tests at work. TANF = free money. Yes, a drug test seems to be in order.

And community service in exchange for free money, free food and Medicaid is not much to ask.

I'm actually as liberal as it gets on 99% of issues - not this one. My heart does not bleed for anyone living off of the public larder. We're expected to pay someone else's way, not hold them accountable for how they are using their benefits an expect nothing in return? NO. This entire system needs an overhaul.

How about we start with farmers, corporations and vets?

has nothing to do with dignity.

private companies randomly test their employees all the time.

people on the handout should have it 100%

How about we start with farmers, corporations and vets?

No. Those people at least produce something beside babies. Welfare recipients are the low hanging fruit. Get them first, then the rest.

I know, but the argument against testing normally has to do with "mah's dig-naty. Now gimme's mah food stamps."

failed. government is already in their lives, if they are on a taxpayer's handout.

want government out of their lives? get them off taxpayer's support.

EASY.

I know, but the argument against testing normally has to do with "mah's dig-naty. Now gimme's mah food stamps."

So what you really want to do is test negroes?

You do know most of the people "on the dole" are caucasian...

there is also the typical leftard lie of "government getting into their lives" :lol:

don't want them humiliation of "government getting in their lives"? - don't put them on taxpayer's support.

They already screen and test those who are suspicious, have record, etc. RWers are MORON hater dupes of the greedy rich...It's already proven this doesn't work and is a waste of money....

So what you really want to do is test negroes?

You do know most of the people "on the dole" are caucasian...

I'm an equal opportunity when it comes to cutting off welfare to anyone not willing to jump through the hoops. I'm okay with cutting off Maria's, Shaniqua's, and Brittany's WIC, food stamps, SNAP, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamaphone, Section 8 Voucher, and anything else they are leeching from the productive. Race has nothing to do with it.

Forum List

Back