Philadelphia: Worth a Visit

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I came here a couple days ago to see the Museum of the American Revolution. It alone makes Philly worth a visit. Among many other things, teaching a lot about the Revolution, they have Washington's Tent. No shit. It is cool.

But I have found a lot of other stuff around here. The Constitution Center, Independence Hall, Jewish Museum, African American museum, Eastern Penitentiary, Independence Seaport Museum (better than I thought it would be), Christ Church, etc., etc. Lots of "Ben Franklin-focused" stuff. I went on a tour called the "Founding Fathers Tour of Philadelphia" and it was outstanding.

The heart of the City is relatively compact, walkable, and it is both attractive and safe. Lots of great architecture to see, good restaurants, WaWa...what more can you ask.

My ONLY gripe is the abundance of panhandlers. I think I was hit up about once every block while I was walking the City. I gave away about $10 and ran out long before I got back to my room. Maybe I look like a soft touch.

Seriously, if you are in the neighborhood, you could spend some very enjoyable and informative time here in Philadelphia.

If you are in Philly, and you don't get a cheesesteak from Geno's or the other place across the street from it (both claim to have invented it), then you have wasted your trip.

Or...................do what I did, and get one from each and decide for yourself which is better. There is a lot of dissent on that particular subject in Philly.

I came here a couple days ago to see the Museum of the American Revolution. It alone makes Philly worth a visit. Among many other things, teaching a lot about the Revolution, they have Washington's Tent. No shit. It is cool.

But I have found a lot of other stuff around here. The Constitution Center, Independence Hall, Jewish Museum, African American museum, Eastern Penitentiary, Independence Seaport Museum (better than I thought it would be), Christ Church, etc., etc. Lots of "Ben Franklin-focused" stuff. I went on a tour called the "Founding Fathers Tour of Philadelphia" and it was outstanding.

The heart of the City is relatively compact, walkable, and it is both attractive and safe. Lots of great architecture to see, good restaurants, WaWa...what more can you ask.

My ONLY gripe is the abundance of panhandlers. I think I was hit up about once every block while I was walking the City. I gave away about $10 and ran out long before I got back to my room. Maybe I look like a soft touch.

Seriously, if you are in the neighborhood, you could spend some very enjoyable and informative time here in Philadelphia.
My son moved there a number of years ago so I've gotten to know the city pretty well. It is great city, gritty maybe but with lots to see and do and eat and a really nice mix of trains, buses, and, yes, old-time trollies. Getting around is easy. Also a very affordable city.

If you are in Philly, and you don't get a cheesesteak from Geno's or the other place across the street from it (both claim to have invented it), then you have wasted your trip.

Or...................do what I did, and get one from each and decide for yourself which is better. There is a lot of dissent on that particular subject in Philly.
I am old enough to remember when real cheesesteaks came with genuine Italian provolone cheese and not slathered with melted American Velveeta.

I am old enough to remember when real cheesesteaks came with genuine Italian provolone cheese and not slathered with melted American Velveeta.

I alternate between the two choices. The provolone adds a nice bite, but the Cheez Wiz (who uses Velveeta?) penetrates the sandwich far better making it a true blend of meat and cheese.

I also get mine with onions, and sometimes peppers.

I'd like to visit Philly. I've been through the airport so many times, yet never gone into the city.

You’ve seen the best of it.

Not even close. The old section of Philadelphia is beautiful.

I'll have to do a stopover next time. There's a train that runs downtown from the airport.

I suggest you do it. It really is. The USS Olympia is anchored there too. She is the last of the Great White Fleet.

I alternate between the two choices. The provolone adds a nice bite, but the Cheez Wiz (who uses Velveeta?) penetrates the sandwich far better making it a true blend of meat and cheese.

OK, I didn't know what the orange cheese was. I just assumed it was Velveeta. I've been eating cheesesteaks with fried onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers, ketchup, and provolone my whole life.

OK, I didn't know what the orange cheese was. I just assumed it was Velveeta. I've been eating cheesesteaks with fried onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers, ketchup, and provolone my whole life.

The Velveeta/Cheez Wiz war is one that is fought over and over, by fans of over-processed delicious goo.

Usually there are a few choices of cheese....Velveeta, Provolone or White American. Most hoagie shops use White American unless you request different.

At one point I made the "mistake" of ordering a "Philly cheesesteak." I was corrected quickly..."No need to say 'Philly' when you are here"...It was as good as expected. The basic stuff (thin-sliced steak, peppers, onions, provolone) is ubiquitous, but a great bun makes all the difference.

Kinda like yoga pants in that regard.

Forum List

Back