Philippine catastrophe

No. The articles I have been quoting are the links YOU provided. They indicate that the Flipino weather services take longer averages when measuring wind speed and thus come up with lower numbers. By the standard US and otherwise international methodology, winds at first landfall were sustained 195 mph with gusts to 235 mph (314 kph and 378 kph).

Why are you arguing this point? Are you trying to minimize the strength of this storm? If so, you have a couple thousand meteorologists you need to sort out first, cause they're all pretty convinced this may have been the most powerful storm of all time. And I don't think they're all suffering from a weakness in metric conversions.

The point of longer measurements is accuracy. All local and regional reporting speaks to the more accurate measurements and the fact that the winds were no where near 195 mph. Sustained winds at first landfall were just under the category 5 definition at some 155 mph.

Why do you have a problem with accurate measurements?

You don't even know the meaning of the word. The length of time over which the wind speed is averaged HAS NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on how accurate the measurement might be. It is simply a different measurement. We could average it over a day or a week or a month or a year. Yes, the windspeed in that storm was only 7 knots (averaged over a year).

The Safr-Simpson scale specifies how wind speed (both sustained and gusts) are measured. You cannot measure by a different technique and then apply Safr-Simpson to it.

I'm done talking to you about this. You're a waste of time.

And why is no one getting on HIS case for failing to give a thought to the victims? Nothing political in THAT miss, was there.

Wow . You probably SHOULD leave the conversation if you dont understand the importance of time series length to accuracy of establishing an average.. Go. Scat.. Study...

Low? Low?!?! WTF is wrong with you people? Was it wrong to institute fire prevention technologies into building codes or was that some sort of abuse of the memories of the victims? Was it wrong to add all those safety requirements to automobiles, or was that just a callous political ploy? Was it immoral for the US government to set up and empower the FDA, the FAA, the NTSB or the OSHA?

If you want to get on someone's case for giving insufficient regard to the tragedy, the loss of life and limb, the billions in property damage - talk to the people who push the denial of any connection between warming and weather (and the dupes who buy into those arguments on primarily political grounds), not because of any flaw in the science, but because it threatens their bottom line: the fossil fuel industries.

Maybe you zealots could wait until the dead are buried and the suffering is relieved before you attempt to assign blame or DEMAND virgin sacrifices to your political agenda?

Or are just too anxious to put that superior atheist intellect to work on punishing the guilty?

Did your god send that storm? Did it kill only the wicked and spare the righteous? Maybe god was hunting the Muslims, eh? Shove the religion.

Wondering how we could prevent this sort of storm from becoming the norm is an activity that could save lives. Moaning and wringing your hands doesn't do squat. If you want to do some good for the world, give up your contrarian, anti-science soapboxing and work towards something that might actually accomplish a worthwhile goal.

And there it is. Wishing prayers of compassion is just "moaning and wringing hands". Never waste a good disaster ------ is how the victims get used by our intellectual betters. How moral of you.....

If a 0.5degc ocean warming built that storm, then every AMO PDO max would produce storms like this REGUARLY. Go check that record to see how wrong you u are....

Wow . You probably SHOULD leave the conversation if you dont understand the importance of time series length to accuracy of establishing an average.. Go. Scat.. Study...

Yeah? Come explain it to me.

At this point , if the tables were turned, youd ask ME if "that was a threat". I OTOH dont care if it was. If at ANY point you want to go one on one, theres a place on USMB for that. LOVE to teach you a couple things...

That WAS a stupid statement. You let emotion get a holdtof your superior religion free intellect.

And there it is. Wishing prayers of compassion is just "moaning and wringing hands". Never waste a good disaster ------ is how the victims get used by our intellectual betters. How moral of you.....

I'm not using victims. I'm trying to reduce their numbers. You're the one that wants to imply your prayers DO something. Well, they don't do shit. Get off your ass and send some money if you want to actually DO some good. Fly to PI and get down in the trenches. Just don't tell me that kneeling by the side of your bed and talking to yourself has any value cause it doesn't.

If a 0.5degc ocean warming built that storm, then every AMO PDO max would produce storms like this REGUARLY. Go check that record to see how wrong you u are....

Why hasn't it happened before now? What's different? Hmm....

At this point , if the tables were turned, youd ask ME if "that was a threat". I OTOH dont care if it was. If at ANY point you want to go one on one, theres a place on USMB for that. LOVE to teach you a couple things...

That WAS a stupid statement. You let emotion get a holdtof your superior religion free intellect.

I'm not threatening you. I want you to try to explain to me how measuring speed across a longer time span increases "accuracy".

Maybe you zealots could wait until the dead are buried and the suffering is relieved before you attempt to assign blame or DEMAND virgin sacrifices to your political agenda?

Or are just too anxious to put that superior atheist intellect to work on punishing the guilty?

Did your god send that storm? Did it kill only the wicked and spare the righteous? Maybe god was hunting the Muslims, eh? Shove the religion.

Wondering how we could prevent this sort of storm from becoming the norm is an activity that could save lives. Moaning and wringing your hands doesn't do squat. If you want to do some good for the world, give up your contrarian, anti-science soapboxing and work towards something that might actually accomplish a worthwhile goal.

That's why I support a federal program to deprogram the AGWCult

I'm not threatening you. I want you to try to explain to me how measuring speed across a longer time span increases "accuracy".

Seriously? Youve never taken astatistics course?
How many atheist IQs would you have to assess to find that "intellectual superiorty" that you assert?

Are you going to explain how the increased time span the Filipinos use to measure windspeed increases accuracy?

That's why I support a federal program to deprogram the AGWCult

It would be the compassionate thing to do. For their own good. But as a libertarian, id rather just let the private sector handle that :lol:

I'm not using victims. I'm trying to reduce their numbers. You're the one that wants to imply your prayers DO something. Well, they don't do shit. Get off your ass and send some money if you want to actually DO some good. Fly to PI and get down in the trenches. Just don't tell me that kneeling by the side of your bed and talking to yourself has any value cause it doesn't.

Why hasn't it happened before now? What's different? Hmm....

The AMO PDO cycles sit on the warming baseline.. If the combined effect shows no statistical diff ---- THen neither the baseline or the cyclical components ALONE have no separate effect. Its just basic reasoning.

When are you going to explain accuracy vs time span?

Soon as you answer my question about the number of superior atheist intellects that youd have to measure to prove your assertion. Would 10 be better than 2?

:cuckoo:

So, you've thought about it and realized that you opened your yap without thinking. Good. Too bad you're not man enough to just come out and admit your mistake.

BTW, you asked no such question.

Found a comment on windspeed measurement in the Wikipedia article on Saffir-Simpson scale:

Most weather agencies use the definition for sustained winds recommended by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), which specifies measuring winds at a height of 33 ft (10.1 m) for 10 minutes, and then taking the average. By contrast, the U.S. National Weather Service, Central Pacific Hurricane Center and the Joint Typhoon Warning Center defines sustained winds as average winds over a period of one minute, measured at the same 33 ft (10.1 m) height.

So... Mr Decus, care to explain why one is more ACCURATE than the other?

Please, no need to give me further proof of just how loony you are. Seriously, I'm convinced.

You think it "loony" to work for the common good? What a paragon of the Christian ethos. However, I wasn't talking to you.

Forum List

Back