Philistines are NOT Arab Palestinians (as falsely advertised):

Roudy

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2012
Philistines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Philistines (pron.: /ˈfɪlɨstiːnz/, /ˈfɪlɨstaɪnz/, /fɨˈlɪstɨnz/, or /fɨˈlɪstiːnz/;[1] Hebrew: פְּלִשְׁתִּים, Plištim), Pleshet or Peleset, were a people who as part of the Sea Peoples appeared in the southern coastal area of Canaan at the beginning of the Iron Age (circa 1175 BC), most probably from the Aegean region. According to the Bible, they ruled the five city-states (the "Philistine Pentapolis") of Gaza, Ashkelon, Ashdod, Ekron and Gath, from Wadi Gaza in the south to the Yarqon River in the north, but with no fixed border to the east.[2] The Bible paints them as the Kingdom of Israel's most dangerous enemy.[2] Originating somewhere in the Aegean,[3] their population was around 25,000 in the 12th century BC, rising to a peak of 30,000 in the 11th century BC, of which the Aegean element was not more than half the total, and perhaps much less.[4]

Philistine language
There is some limited evidence in favor of the assumption that the Philistines did originally speak some Indo-European language. A number of Philistine-related words found in the Bible are not Semitic, and can in some cases, with reservations, be traced back to Proto-Indo-European roots. For example, the Philistine word for captain, 'seren', may be related to the Greek word tyrannos (thought by linguists to have been borrowed by the Greeks from an Anatolian language, such as Luwian or Lydian[5]). Some of the Philistine names, such as Goliath, Achish, and Phicol, appear to be of non-Semitic origin, and Indo-European etymologies have been suggested. Recently, an inscription dating to the late 10th/early 9th centuries BC with two names, very similar to one of the suggested etymologies of the popular Philistine name Goliath (Lydian Alyattes, or perhaps Greek Kalliades) was found in the excavations at Gath. The appearance of additional non-Semitic names in Philistine inscriptions from later stages of the Iron Age is an additional indication of the non-Semitic origins of this group.

Mycenaean archaeology
The connection between Mycenaean culture and Philistine culture was made clearer by finds at the excavation of Ashdod, Ekron, Ashkelon, and more recently Gath, four of the five Philistine cities in Canaan. The fifth city is Gaza. Especially notable is the early Philistine pottery, a locally made version of the Aegean Mycenaean Late Helladic IIIC pottery, which is decorated in shades of brown and black. This later developed into the distinctive Philistine pottery of the Iron Age I, with black and red decorations on white slip known as Philistine Bichrome ware.[17] Also of particular interest is a large, well-constructed building covering 240 square metres (2,600 sq ft), discovered at Ekron. Its walls are broad, designed to support a second story, and its wide, elaborate entrance leads to a large hall, partly covered with a roof supported on a row of columns. In the floor of the hall is a circular hearth paved with pebbles, as is typical in Mycenaean megaron hall buildings; other unusual architectural features are paved benches and podiums. Among the finds are three small bronze wheels with eight spokes. Such wheels are known to have been used for portable cultic stands in the Aegean region during this period, and it is therefore assumed that this building served cultic functions. Further evidence concerns an inscription in Ekron to PYGN or PYTN, which some have suggested refers to "Potnia", the title given to an ancient Mycenaean goddess. Excavations in Ashkelon, Ekron, and Gath reveal dog and pig bones which show signs of having been butchered, implying that these animals were part of the residents' diet.[18][19] Among other findings there are wineries where fermented wine was produced, as well as loom weights resembling those of Mycenaean sites in Greece.[20]
It has been theorized that the latter Philistines originated among the "Sea Peoples". Modern archaeology has also suggested early cultural links with the Mycenaean world in Greece. Though the Philistines adopted local Canaanite culture and language before leaving any written texts (and later adopted the Aramaic language), an Indo-European origin has been suggested for a handful of known Philistine words that survived as loanwords in Hebrew.

Iron Age (8th–5th centuries BC)
The Bible paints the Philistines as the main enemy of the Israelites prior to the rise of Assyria in the 8th century BC, with a state of almost perpetual war between the two peoples. The Philistine cities lost their independence to Tiglath-Pileser III of Assyria by 732 BC, and revolts in following years were all crushed. They were subsequently absorbed into the Babylonian and Persian empires, and disappear as a distinct group by the late 5th century BC.[15]

roudy give up-----the islamo nazi pigs of the world are going to
continue to push the idiotic notion that the arab muslims who
invaded palestine are THE PHILISTINES -----because it is a lie
that works well with some people. They made it when they
adopted the name PALESTINIANS ---muslims believe
in magic------and the TINKERBELLE PHENOMENON ----just
think of TINKERBELLE as a JINNETTE

roudy give up-----the islamo nazi pigs of the world are going to
invaded palestine are THE PHILISTINES -----because it is a lie
that works well with some people. They made it when they
adopted the name PALESTINIANS ---muslims believe
in magic------and the TINKERBELLE PHENOMENON ----just
think of TINKERBELLE as a JINNETTE

But Rosie, seeing as the Philistines such as Goliath demonstrated their absolute disregard for G-d of Israel and that they were idolaters, violent, brutal people can you see where others would see the similarity here? I agree that they have absolutely no claim to Israel whatsoever and never will have a claim to it.

Just to be clear I have used that name myself rather than to call them Palestinians but it was in disdain that I used it. As do many Christians because they see the Philistines as having been the most vile of people and enemies of the Israelites.

Just to be clear I have used that name myself rather than to call them Palestinians but it was in disdain that I used it. As do many Christians because they see the Philistines as having been the most vile of people and enemies of the Israelites.

I never met a Christian that said that.

et al,

I'm confused again. The claim that many pro-Palestinians have made is that the Palestinian was in the land before the Israelis. That places them there about 3000+ years ago.

So if I choose to believe that, who does that make them?

Help me out here.

Most Respectfully,
R

et al,

I'm confused again. The claim that many pro-Palestinians have made is that the Palestinian was in the land before the Israelis. That places them there about 3000+ years ago.

Help me out here.

Most Respectfully,
R

It obviously makes a lot of them the people who are closely related if not in fact coverted Jews to Islam...There is a Clan in Southern Lebanon called "al Cannaan," genetic studies have shown clear evidence of Kinship between Jews and Palestinians, The Hebrews lived in Egypt for eons...Moses who led them back to Cannaan, was an Egyptian Prince according to Freud..

But don't tell Roudy and spoil his fantasies!

Well you see, first the Palestinians were the Sumarians until proven wrong. So then we were the Akkadians until proven wrong. So why not they are the Philistines? It's called Palestinian mentality.

et al,

Help me out here.

Most Respectfully,
R

et al,

Help me out here.

Most Respectfully,
R
In layman's terms here it is: The Philistines were a non Semetic sea faring people, who lived in same region during with the Israelites, Assyrians, and Canaanites, etc. According to some sources such as Wikipedia, their numbers ranged from about 20,000 to 40,000 at their peak. They fought battles with the Israelites and other neighbors, were defeated soundly and ceased to exist as a race and people, eventually blending with other tribes such as the Canaanites. When the Romans invaded Israel, they renamed it as "Palestine" to humiliate the Israelites, by naming their land after the enemies whom they had defeated. From then on, for thousands of years, all the way up to the 1960's, the term Palestinian therefore meant: Jew-only.

In essence, Philistines have zero, nada, zilch to do with today's ARAB PALESTINIANS.

Last edited:
et al,

Help me out here.

Most Respectfully,
R

It obviously makes a lot of them the people who are closely related if not in fact coverted Jews to Islam...There is a Clan in Southern Lebanon called "al Cannaan," genetic studies have shown clear evidence of Kinship between Jews and Palestinians, The Hebrews lived in Egypt for eons...Moses who led them back to Cannaan, was an Egyptian Prince according to Freud..

But don't tell Roudy and spoil his fantasies!
Generally speaking, Jews did not convert to ANY religion. Nor did they proselytize or intermarry with other people, mainly due to the fact that up to the 21st century a Jew would no longer be considered Jewish if his mother was not a Jew.

The Indestructible Jews - Max I. Dimont - Ereads.com

The Indestructible Jews
by Max I. Dimont
Published 02/04 by E-Reads

A compelling and readable account of the four thousand year history of a people that spans the globe and transcends the ages. From the ancient and simple faith of a small tribe to a global religion with adherents in every nation, the path of the Jews is traced through countless expulsions and migrations, the great tragedy of the Holocaust, and the joy of founding a homeland in Israel. Putting the struggle of a persecuted people into perspective, Max Dimont asks whether the tragic sufferings of the Jews have actually been the key to their survival, as other nations and races vanished into obscurity. Here is a book for Jews and non-Jews to enjoy, evoking a proud heritage while offering a hopeful vision of the future.

Sample:
The Old Testament, most of it unequaled for sheer narrative skill, gives us an entirely different picture of Jewish history -- proud, grand, and dynamic. It is also the first historical record, in the modern sense of the word, so accurate that an archaeologist can go to where the Bible said things happened and find the evidence.

The Greeks and Romans patterned their historical writings on the Jewish idea of history as a continuous biography of a people. But with the decline of Greece and the fall of Rome, the writing of objective history disappeared for close to a thousand years.

With the twentieth century, scholars at last began to discard the stereotypes of Church, ghetto, and apologetes. Modern scholars -- both Jewish and Christian -- began to reexamine Jewish history with new, objective, critical eyes. Jewish scholars especially began to arm themselves with general world history, religious and secular. They let the facts fall where they would, and as obscuring myths were discarded, Jewish history was revealed in a new light.

History can be compared to a vast smörgåsbord, with the facts spread on a prepared table like exotic dishes, each vying for attention. There are two ways the historian can serve himself. He can close his eyes and help himself to a chance sampling of what the table has to offer, in which case he would have that highly praised mode of history known as "objective." Or he can select those facts that suit his concept of history, in which case he would construct that highly criticized mode of history known as "interpretive." We prefer the second school, because -- to paraphrase an epigram by Oscar Wilde -- objective history gives us the dates of everything and the meaning of nothing. Facts in themselves have no intrinsic worth other than that they happened. Meaning can come only after facts have been sifted through the human mind and clothed with value.

...Thus our views on Jews in Babylonian and Hellenic times are not based on the judgments of the nineteenth-century historians, no matter how revered their names, but on the works of twentieth-century writers like Jacob Neusner, Saul Lieberman, and Victor Tcherikover. Our concept of Jesus and his times has been fashioned not by the pious pronouncements of Christian theologians or intemperate tracts by Jewish zealots, but by the works of such objective scholars -- Christian and Jewish -- as Charles Guignebert, Paul Winter, and Hugo Mantel. Our observations on the Talmud and Talmudists were inspired by the scholarship of such men as Harry A. Wolfson, Louis Jacobs, and Boaz Cohen. Our understanding of the messianic eschatology was deepened by such pioneering works as The Pursuit of the Millennium, by Norman Cohn, Political Messianism, by J. L. Talmon, and A History of Messianic Speculation in Israel, by Abba Hillel Silver.

I never met a Christian that said that.
Not too many Christians where you live.

As advertised, by ignorant, illiterate, Jew hating douchebags like you.
Why would I hate jews?

Got the balls to answer that?

Of coarse, you don't!
Well, I'm not privy to your background, upbringing, religious teachings, environment, nor am I interested... but just based on your posts, you're obviously a Jew hater. And I would add that I'm one among many that has made that observation.

As "advertised"?

What is this, an A&E documentary?

I didn't get that either - who said otherwise?

I've never felt the Philistines were as key to modern Palestinian history as the Canaanites. No doubt invading (Cretan) Philistines settled on the coast, and no doubt there was some raping and pillaging going on which meant their descendants settled in what are now Palestinian towns, but research tells us that that Philistines did not arrive in huge numbers, and many left in time. Canaanite towns and garrisons like Jericho play a far more central role in all of thise.

This seems to be another occasion when Roudy has misunderstood what has been posted elsewhere, and goes off on a red hering killing expedition.

Last edited:
but just based on your posts, you're obviously a Jew hater

Or do you mean he just has a better knowledge of history than you do?

By all means present evidence to back up your claim, though - I'll be interested to see it.

Rosie -

the islamo nazi pigs of the world are going to
invaded palestine are THE PHILISTINES -

Who did this, and where?

Please post the link to back up our claims. Or were you lying?

If you can't back the claim up - perhaps consider deleting it.

Rosie -

the islamo nazi pigs of the world are going to
invaded palestine are THE PHILISTINES -

Who did this, and where?

Please post the link to back up our claims. Or were you lying?

If you can't back the claim up - perhaps consider deleting it.
Do I have to chase you to this link? I gave you a chance to back up your claim and after 9 tries you ran away like a scared donkey! Read all about it!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/israe...erusalem-and-temple-mount-35.html#post6879717

Last edited:

Forum List

Back