Pit bulls are safe around children!

Yes Pits do simply bite. All dogs attack. The difference is that a Pit is bred to inflict severe damage when attacking. People that own these dogs should be more responsible for that very reason. You keep trying to say your mixed dog transformed into a purebred Pit and attacked. It doesnt work like that.

The only unanswered question: is your ignorance blind or willful?
My ignorance regarding what? You said Pits dont simply bite but you are wrong. You said other dogs dont attack but they do.

There's a lot missing in the story. The dogs went from playful and nippy to violent yet there's no mention of it in her later account when she says they attacked for no reason. The child was on her hip, who they were unfamiliar with, while she was playing with two nippy Pitbulls? Obviously she was not in control, nor were the dogs trained properly.

Many females do have problems with powerful breeds, they don't have the presence and their dogs are in control. Seen it hundreds of times. Other women have no problem, if you have a weak presence get a smaller dog or cat. And don't play with two big dogs with a baby on your hip, maybe they thought it was a treat.

Additional Clarifications

Susan wanted to clarify an aspect that is stated earlier in this piece, "the two pit bulls turned from playful and 'nippy' that day into a violent frenzy." The "nippy" terminology was taken from police reports released to the media on April 1st. She doesn't believe she ever said the term "nippy" while being interviewed by police in her hospital room. The word implies bad ownership. Her two dogs were "never nippy," she said. Further, "batting dogs away is not playful," she said.

She also wanted to address how her and Steve got the two pit bulls. Susan grew up with a German shepherd, but had friends that owned the breed. Steve had previously owned a pit bull along with other dog breeds. The two had discussed getting a dog for a while. When one of their friends said her pit bull was about to have a litter, the couple acted. They took two puppies from the litter. Getting the dogs was about timing and opportunity, she said, not a "political statement."
"Doing research before getting the puppies never crossed her mind," Susan said. She thought all dogs were the same. Like the father, Susan believed the myth, "It's all how you raise them." Believing this myth, perpetuated by pit bull owners, humane groups and veterinarians, resulted in the death of Dax. Jeff and Susan wanted to be part of this essay so that others who intentionally or unintentionally believe this myth can realize the truth. On March 6th, Susan's well-raised pit bulls acted out their genetic heritage by inflicting an unpredictable destructive attack that took a young boy's life.

My ignorance regarding what? You said Pits dont simply bite but you are wrong. You said other dogs dont attack but they do.

Most dogs "bite", then retreat. Pit bulls don't stop. They are a killing machine. Are you REALLY unaware of their attack patterns? If so, you better get rid of your pit bulls...

Most dogs "bite", then retreat. Pit bulls don't stop. They are a killing machine. Are you REALLY unaware of their attack patterns? If so, you better get rid of your pit bulls...
The facts are that all dogs will bite and retreat depending on whats going on. Pits will and have stopped after attacking out of fear. Since I protection train all of my Pits I know more about their attack pattern than most people walking the planet. Here is an AB fear biter but a normal lay person wouldnt know it.

Last edited:
A Pits genetic heritage is to fight other dogs and be people friendly.

LOL...are you now willfully playing along with the MYTH?

Another prevailing myth cited by pit bull advocates and humane groups is that pit bulls are "dog-aggressive not human-aggressive," despite the abundance of people the breed disfigures, maims and kills every year. Pit bulls were selectively bred for explosive animal aggression to excel in dogfighting. As far back as 1909, handlers used the term "man eaters" to describe prized fighters.5 Like a hand grenade going off, explosive aggression often lacks specificity.

The Deceitful, Harmful Controversy

Susan holds Penny as a puppy, Bosston and Penny as adults, taken in 2013.

In the several hours leading up to his son's death, Jeff posted updates to his Facebook status about his son's critical condition. Family members and friends were posting messages as well. News of the attack spread rapidly through the community via local media reports. Jeff Borchardt is a popular deejay in his area and has over 1,800 Facebook friends. On March 6th, his Facebook timeline began overflowing with messages from family members, friends and fans.

Within hours of Jeff posting, "He didn't make it," that landscape changed.

Jeff was stricken after the attack, robbed of his son's life, left only with the images of the destructive injuries inflicted by the dogs. In a shaken mental state, he posted some of his thoughts about pit bulls to his status. Instantly, he was thrown into the sphere of fanatical pit bull owners, some of which were his friends. Breed advocates bombarded his timeline with propaganda, "All dogs bite!" and "Don't blame the breed!" Some posted photos of pit bulls cuddling with babies.

"THIS IS ABOUT A BABY!" a friend wrote on Jeff's timeline. "Stop posting picts of pits and babies!

The next day, the media began copying parts of his postings and placing them into news articles, "Father of boy killed by pit bull attack shares grief." This caused the "invasion" by breed advocates to intensify further. Close friends and family members posted more messages telling them to "BACK OFF!" At this stage, family members were using Jeff's timeline to get information out to people about where to send flowers and cards, which was the Monroe Funeral Home.

While bombardment tactics are common in "mauling threads" -- comment sections following a pit bull attack news story -- harassing the father of a deceased child on his own Facebook timeline is not. At one point on March 7th, Hannah Hoyt begins arguing with Jeff's wife, telling her, "I am very sorry for your loss, BUT ... it's not the dog's fault, it's the owner." Hoyt continues to taunt and antagonize Kim even after Kim states multiple times to stop and "leave us alone."

Readers of this website already know about the multiple studies regarding owners of vicious dogs, which characterize these owners as antisocial and deviant. In the case of Jeff, many of these breed advocates lacked all social boundaries, even when confronted directly by one of the boy's parents. Armed with narcissism and an "impoverished conscience," pit bull advocates continued swarming and flogging Jeff's Facebook page in the aftermath of his son's horrific death.

Susan did not escape similar harassment. Pit bull advocates immediately lined up to prove she was a "bad owner" who "abused her dogs" in order to justify the unprovoked, prolonged attack that left an innocent baby dead. On June 14th, over three months after the attack, Jeff commented on a Brew City Bully Club post (a meme glorifying pit bulls). He quickly learned that Michelle Serocki, who runs the group, secretly private messaged his friend who was commenting beside him.

Serocki wrote to Jeff's friend stating, "The dogs that did this were not well cared for though. I saw them and they were neglected - in my professional opionion almost criminally. You and I can have different opinions on how to care for dogs - but by social and veterinary standards these dogs were neglected." Zealous breed advocates lie and use "perceived expert" tactics all the time. Serocki's deceitful method, however, sheds new light on the "organized" pro-pit bull effort.

Via a private message, Serocki flat out lied under the auspices of "quasi-credentials" to blame Susan and change the mind of Jeff's friend.

When Jeff learned about the message from Serocki, he called her out in a new comment: "Detective Michelle Serocki on the case ... pay attention cause this is not what the real detective told me ... maybe we should reopen the case?" Jeff added: "there was a reason no charges were brought ... there was no history of abuse or neglect." He then suggested that Susan join the discussion, the dogs' owner and the "only witness to my son's murder ... Let's do that, shall we?"

Serocki never responded to Jeff's invitation. See private message conversation in full.

A Pits genetic heritage is to fight other dogs and be people friendly.

LOL...are you now willfully playing along with the MYTH?

Another prevailing myth cited by pit bull advocates and humane groups is that pit bulls are "dog-aggressive not human-aggressive," despite the abundance of people the breed disfigures, maims and kills every year. Pit bulls were selectively bred for explosive animal aggression to excel in dogfighting. As far back as 1909, handlers used the term "man eaters" to describe prized fighters.5 Like a hand grenade going off, explosive aggression often lacks specificity.

The Deceitful, Harmful Controversy

Susan holds Penny as a puppy, Bosston and Penny as adults, taken in 2013.

In the several hours leading up to his son's death, Jeff posted updates to his Facebook status about his son's critical condition. Family members and friends were posting messages as well. News of the attack spread rapidly through the community via local media reports. Jeff Borchardt is a popular deejay in his area and has over 1,800 Facebook friends. On March 6th, his Facebook timeline began overflowing with messages from family members, friends and fans.

Within hours of Jeff posting, "He didn't make it," that landscape changed.

Jeff was stricken after the attack, robbed of his son's life, left only with the images of the destructive injuries inflicted by the dogs. In a shaken mental state, he posted some of his thoughts about pit bulls to his status. Instantly, he was thrown into the sphere of fanatical pit bull owners, some of which were his friends. Breed advocates bombarded his timeline with propaganda, "All dogs bite!" and "Don't blame the breed!" Some posted photos of pit bulls cuddling with babies.

"THIS IS ABOUT A BABY!" a friend wrote on Jeff's timeline. "Stop posting picts of pits and babies!

The next day, the media began copying parts of his postings and placing them into news articles, "Father of boy killed by pit bull attack shares grief." This caused the "invasion" by breed advocates to intensify further. Close friends and family members posted more messages telling them to "BACK OFF!" At this stage, family members were using Jeff's timeline to get information out to people about where to send flowers and cards, which was the Monroe Funeral Home.

While bombardment tactics are common in "mauling threads" -- comment sections following a pit bull attack news story -- harassing the father of a deceased child on his own Facebook timeline is not. At one point on March 7th, Hannah Hoyt begins arguing with Jeff's wife, telling her, "I am very sorry for your loss, BUT ... it's not the dog's fault, it's the owner." Hoyt continues to taunt and antagonize Kim even after Kim states multiple times to stop and "leave us alone."

Readers of this website already know about the multiple studies regarding owners of vicious dogs, which characterize these owners as antisocial and deviant. In the case of Jeff, many of these breed advocates lacked all social boundaries, even when confronted directly by one of the boy's parents. Armed with narcissism and an "impoverished conscience," pit bull advocates continued swarming and flogging Jeff's Facebook page in the aftermath of his son's horrific death.

Susan did not escape similar harassment. Pit bull advocates immediately lined up to prove she was a "bad owner" who "abused her dogs" in order to justify the unprovoked, prolonged attack that left an innocent baby dead. On June 14th, over three months after the attack, Jeff commented on a Brew City Bully Club post (a meme glorifying pit bulls). He quickly learned that Michelle Serocki, who runs the group, secretly private messaged his friend who was commenting beside him.

Serocki wrote to Jeff's friend stating, "The dogs that did this were not well cared for though. I saw them and they were neglected - in my professional opionion almost criminally. You and I can have different opinions on how to care for dogs - but by social and veterinary standards these dogs were neglected." Zealous breed advocates lie and use "perceived expert" tactics all the time. Serocki's deceitful method, however, sheds new light on the "organized" pro-pit bull effort.

Via a private message, Serocki flat out lied under the auspices of "quasi-credentials" to blame Susan and change the mind of Jeff's friend.

When Jeff learned about the message from Serocki, he called her out in a new comment: "Detective Michelle Serocki on the case ... pay attention cause this is not what the real detective told me ... maybe we should reopen the case?" Jeff added: "there was a reason no charges were brought ... there was no history of abuse or neglect." He then suggested that Susan join the discussion, the dogs' owner and the "only witness to my son's murder ... Let's do that, shall we?"

Serocki never responded to Jeff's invitation. See private message conversation in full.
No its not a myth. To suggest it is is pure ignorance of the facts. The rules of dog fighting require the opposing owner scrub your dog to make sure there is no poison on the fur of your dog or anything else that may be an unfair advantage. Basically these dogs were bred to allow a total stranger to examine them and wash them down before being released to go to battle with another dog. A dog that would not allow such examination was worthless.

The facts are that all dogs will bite and retreat depending on whats going on. Pits will and have stopped after attacking out of fear. Since I protection train all of my Pits I know more about their attack pattern than most people walking the planet. Here is an AB fear biter but a normal lay person wouldnt know it.

Thank you for making a VERY strong case that pit bulls are NOT a pet for a "normal lay person"...which is probably 99% of pit bull owners...

Thank you for making a VERY strong case that pit bulls are NOT a pet for a "normal lay person"...which is probably 99% of pit bull owners...

Youre welcome.

"Doing research before getting the puppies never crossed her mind," Susan said. She thought all dogs were the same. Like the father, Susan believed the myth, "It's all how you raise them." Believing this myth, perpetuated by pit bull owners, humane groups and veterinarians, resulted in the death of Dax. Jeff and Susan wanted to be part of this essay so that others who intentionally or unintentionally believe this myth can realize the truth. On March 6th, Susan's well-raised pit bulls acted out their genetic heritage by inflicting an unpredictable destructive attack that took a young boy's life.
Your BS detector never went off? She knew zip about the breed, didn't research it but we're supposed to believe they were well trained? It doesn't even say they were trained, she repeatedly used the word "raised". Dogs aren't human, they don't think through things or rationalize anything.

And she somehow knows more than vets? Interesting. She's quite obviously hoping to escape any culpability.

Can pitbulls, rots, chows, German Sheppards etc be great dogs, absolutely, but responsible parents shouldn't have a dog around young children. Young children don't respect the gravity of the danger that an unintended circumstance might have. Toddlers shouldn't be around aggressive breds and I think parents should wait until their kid is at least 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can pitbulls, rots, chows, German Sheppards etc be great dogs, absolutely, but responsible parents shouldn't have a dog around young children. Young children don't respect the gravity of the danger that an unintended circumstance might have. Toddlers shouldn't be around aggressive breds and I think parents should wait until their kid is at least 8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got my first Pit when my daughter was 5. He saved her from being mauled by a Rottie when she was 7. What if I had waited?

The problem is that I've met many Pits and know the bedwetters are full of shit. They are very popular dogs so there are quite a few out there. I worry much more about German Shepards. The police forces around the world use them for a reason. They need training, if not they can have a hair trigger. Most Pits have been the friendliest dogs at the park.

This is a long thread, so, I apologize if this has been posted previously

Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada - By Merritt Clifton

In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (326). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of these deaths
I wonder how many were actually APBT's instead of some other breed? This is something we will probably never know.

Borchardt said before his son's death, he used to think a dog's behavior was determined by the way it was raised. However, the two pit bulls owned by a woman who was babysitting Dax were raised by the couple since they were puppies and had not been abused.
A 14 month old baby was left with two dogs owned by the babysitter but were raised by the couple? It makes no sense.
It's horseshit.

People should leave babies with dogs. It's fucking stupid. I had a pit and a saint Bernard...the saint was young and the pit was Snoop, and you know what? I never left them alone with my kids, and my kids were a hell of a lot older than 14 months. I mean I didn't even take a shower with the door shut. Because those dogs weighed more than my kids, and they're DOGS. They're carnivores, and they're pack animals. If you have a pack, you'd better damned well be aware of its nature..and its nature is carnivorous. And you need to be the boss. Your presence is required.

I think a lot of times people think they're being the boss because they have a lot of positive interaction with their dogs. It's kind of interesting about bfgrn's leash thing because that's not the first time I've seen issues come up because someone thinks it's cute to let their dog play with his leash. It is cute, but that leash should be a representation and extension of you, and if the dog is fine with grabbing it and gnawing on it or dragging it or jumping up for it, or shaking it, that's really not a good thing.

In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (326). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of these deaths
I wonder how many were actually APBT's instead of some other breed? This is something we will probably never know.

You had a unique situation with your daughter, and I'm glad she is okay, but, overall, really? Is it worth it?
Why is it so "gosh darn" important for people to own these dogs? There are SO MANY OTHERS with almost zero chance of harm coming to them... really I will never understand....

Quick statistics ::
This page is a collection of dog bite statistics that are located on DogsBite.org or can reached by a web link. Notably, each year, an American has a one in 50 chance of being bitten by a dog.1

In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, two dog breeds accounted for 74% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.

2014 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2015

71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.

30-Year Summary: Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada September 1982 to December 26, 2011 by Merritt Clifton, Animal People, 2012

Over 700 U.S. cities have adopted breed-specific laws since the mid 1980s, just after pit bulls (fighting dogs) began leaking into the general population.

Estimated U.S. Cities, Counties and Military Facilities with Breed-Specific Laws by DogsBite.org, 2015

By 2017, pit bulls are projected to maul 305 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

Fatalpitbullattacks.com, 2014, Nonprofits Urge CDC to Resume Tracking Richer Data Set for Children and Adults Disfigured, Maimed and Killed by Dogs, DogsBite.org, 2014

In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans, about one citizen every 18 days.

In 2014, loose dogs off their owner's property inflicted 40% of all fatal attacks, a sharp rise from the last 10-year rate of 24% (2005 to 2014).

In 2013, over one-third, 38%, of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred.

2013 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2014

In 2012, more than 27,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.

2012 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2013

In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off owner property. Pit bulls were responsible for 81% of these attacks.

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008 by DogsBite.org, 2010

In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker.

2011 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2011

Over 40 countries across the world regulate dangerous dog breeds with breed-specific laws including: France, Norway, Spain, Portugal and Great Britain.

Estimated U.S. Cities, Counties and Military Facilities with Breed-Specific Laws by DogsBite.org, 2015

In 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull attacks more than doubled the number of child victims.

2011 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2012

A study published in 2010 showed there were 4 times as many dog bite-related ED visits and 3 times as many hospital stays in rural areas than in urban areas.

Emergency Department Visits and Inpatient Stays Involving Dog Bites, 2008 by AHRQ, 2010

Pit bull terriers were selectively bred for a violent activity that is now a felony in all 50 U.S. states: dogfighting.

Dogfighting Fact Sheet by the Human Society of the United States

Over 290 U.S. military bases governed by the U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps and Navy regulate dangerous dog breeds.

Dog attack victims suffer over $1 billion in monetary losses annually. JAMA reports this estimate to be as high as $2 billion.

Dog Bites Recognized as Public Health Problem by R. Voelker, JAMA, 1997

A 2010 study showed that the average cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay was $18,200, about 50% higher than the average injury-related hospital stay.

Emergency Department Visits and Inpatient Stays Involving Dog Bites, 2008 by AHRQ, 2010

Dog bites occur every 75 seconds in the United States. Each day, over 1,000 citizens need emergency medical care to treat these injuries.

Nonfatal Dog Bite-Related Injuries Treated in Hospital Emergency Departments - United States, 2001 by the CDC, 2003

Dog bites are the fifth highest reason why children seek emergency room treatment due to activities they voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports.

Incidence of Dog Bite Injuries Treated in Emergency Departments (1992-1994) by H. Weiss, D. Friedman and J. Coben, JAMA, 1998

Quick Statistics - DogsBite.org

You had a unique situation with your daughter, and I'm glad she is okay, but, overall, really? Is it worth it?
Why is it so "gosh darn" important for people to own these dogs? There are SO MANY OTHERS with almost zero chance of harm coming to them... really I will never understand....
Is what worth it? Why is it so gosh darn important for people to own a specific breed of horse or cat? There is no other dog breed that combines all the qualities I find in Pitbulls. I guess its a matter of choice.

Quick statistics ::
This page is a collection of dog bite statistics that are located on DogsBite.org or can reached by a web link. Notably, each year, an American has a one in 50 chance of being bitten by a dog.1

In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, two dog breeds accounted for 74% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.

71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.

30-Year Summary: Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada September 1982 to December 26, 2011 by Merritt Clifton, Animal People, 2012

Over 700 U.S. cities have adopted breed-specific laws since the mid 1980s, just after pit bulls (fighting dogs) began leaking into the general population.

By 2017, pit bulls are projected to maul 305 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

Fatalpitbullattacks.com, 2014, Nonprofits Urge CDC to Resume Tracking Richer Data Set for Children and Adults Disfigured, Maimed and Killed by Dogs, DogsBite.org, 2014

In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans, about one citizen every 18 days.

In 2014, loose dogs off their owner's property inflicted 40% of all fatal attacks, a sharp rise from the last 10-year rate of 24% (2005 to 2014).

In 2013, over one-third, 38%, of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred.

2013 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2014

In 2012, more than 27,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.

2012 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2013

In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off owner property. Pit bulls were responsible for 81% of these attacks.

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008 by DogsBite.org, 2010

In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker.

2011 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2011

Over 40 countries across the world regulate dangerous dog breeds with breed-specific laws including: France, Norway, Spain, Portugal and Great Britain.

In 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull attacks more than doubled the number of child victims.

2011 Dog Bite Fatalities by DogsBite.org, 2012

A study published in 2010 showed there were 4 times as many dog bite-related ED visits and 3 times as many hospital stays in rural areas than in urban areas.

Pit bull terriers were selectively bred for a violent activity that is now a felony in all 50 U.S. states: dogfighting.

Dogfighting Fact Sheet by the Human Society of the United States

Over 290 U.S. military bases governed by the U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps and Navy regulate dangerous dog breeds.

Dog attack victims suffer over $1 billion in monetary losses annually. JAMA reports this estimate to be as high as $2 billion.

Dog Bites Recognized as Public Health Problem by R. Voelker, JAMA, 1997

A 2010 study showed that the average cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay was $18,200, about 50% higher than the average injury-related hospital stay.

Dog bites occur every 75 seconds in the United States. Each day, over 1,000 citizens need emergency medical care to treat these injuries.

Nonfatal Dog Bite-Related Injuries Treated in Hospital Emergency Departments - United States, 2001 by the CDC, 2003

Dog bites are the fifth highest reason why children seek emergency room treatment due to activities they voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports.

Incidence of Dog Bite Injuries Treated in Emergency Departments (1992-1994) by H. Weiss, D. Friedman and J. Coben, JAMA, 1998

Quick Statistics - DogsBite.org
Even if all of that were to be true all it does is point to the fact that the owners dont know how to train their dogs properly.

Forum List

Back