Pit bulls are safe around children!

I won't go over anyone's house unless they are securely put away.
and, if I have to listen to them bark the entire time, I'm not interested in being there either.

Happy to know that my dogs are Bonzi-repellent. If I had to choose between most humans and a dog, the choice would be an easy one.

Bullshit. All this conjecture is funny and comes down to one thing...you are scared of dogs. That's fine...don't have pits and don't stroll around the inner city and your chance if being attacked by Americas dog is exactly zero. Or better yet...move to Russia, where the likelihood if being killed by a pit remains zero, but the chance that you'll be torn apart by a pack frolicking is about 1 in 3.

I'm scared of dog?...your argument skills are childish...

I have had dogs for 60 years...I have never been without at least one dog since I was 5 years old...

I had 3 dogs a few years ago...Abbey; a female chocolate lab, Inuk; an un-neutered male Alaskan Malamute and Buddy; a neutered pit bull mix.

The lab was put down due to old age (16 yrs old)
The Malamute was put down due to cancer (10 yrs old)
The pit bull mix was put down because it tried to kill me in my own living room (3 yrs old)

Buddy (pit) was one of the sweetest dogs I ever owned. We owned him since he was 3 months old. He loved to climb up on your chest and snuggle. If you got down on your hands and knees to get something out of the bottom cupboard, he would lick your face.

On day, my wife had dusted in the dining room and placed Buddy's leash on the floor. She forgot to put it back on the hutch.

I noticed it and bent down to pick it up...Buddy immediately came at me and started growling. I left the leash on the floor, showed Buddy a stop sign hand signal. Calmly told Buddy "It's OK Buddy"...

When I walked into the living room, Buddy charged me...he leaped up an latched on to my right arm...I swung him around as he ripped open my arm...he flew off, got up and charged me again. This time he latched on to my left hand, ripping that open. I yelled for my son to help me. Buddy charged me again, this time he sunk his teeth into my right leg (I was wearing shorts)...he opened a huge gaping wound in my calf, then bit into the front of my leg exposing my femur...

My son arrived and tried to pull him off me...I was being mauled, my son was behind me and grabbed Buddy's back legs, I finally grabbed Buddy around the neck, put him in a head lock, held on for dear life and fell on Buddy. My son pulled Buddy out from behind. I got up, made it to the kitchen and by then my wife and daughter were there. My wife called 911.

Thank God I was not home alone..I would have been one of the CONTEXT I posted.

I know you love your pit bull. I PRAY nothing like this ever happens to you. But if God forbid your pit mauls one of your kids, you will never forgive yourself...
He won't maul any of my kids. Of course, I don't leave him alone with little kids. I don't know why your dog attacked you. I do know it wasn't because he might have had a smidge of PitBull in him.
I dont know the exact reason but if the dog warned him prior to attacking there was obviously some "leader of the pack" issues BigFern left unresolved or never noticed.

Leader of the pack?...funny how you right wing turds quote an illegal immigrant..

Bullshit. All this conjecture is funny and comes down to one thing...you are scared of dogs. That's fine...don't have pits and don't stroll around the inner city and your chance if being attacked by Americas dog is exactly zero. Or better yet...move to Russia, where the likelihood if being killed by a pit remains zero, but the chance that you'll be torn apart by a pack frolicking is about 1 in 3.

I'm scared of dog?...your argument skills are childish...

I have had dogs for 60 years...I have never been without at least one dog since I was 5 years old...

I had 3 dogs a few years ago...Abbey; a female chocolate lab, Inuk; an un-neutered male Alaskan Malamute and Buddy; a neutered pit bull mix.

The lab was put down due to old age (16 yrs old)
The Malamute was put down due to cancer (10 yrs old)
The pit bull mix was put down because it tried to kill me in my own living room (3 yrs old)

Buddy (pit) was one of the sweetest dogs I ever owned. We owned him since he was 3 months old. He loved to climb up on your chest and snuggle. If you got down on your hands and knees to get something out of the bottom cupboard, he would lick your face.

On day, my wife had dusted in the dining room and placed Buddy's leash on the floor. She forgot to put it back on the hutch.

I noticed it and bent down to pick it up...Buddy immediately came at me and started growling. I left the leash on the floor, showed Buddy a stop sign hand signal. Calmly told Buddy "It's OK Buddy"...

When I walked into the living room, Buddy charged me...he leaped up an latched on to my right arm...I swung him around as he ripped open my arm...he flew off, got up and charged me again. This time he latched on to my left hand, ripping that open. I yelled for my son to help me. Buddy charged me again, this time he sunk his teeth into my right leg (I was wearing shorts)...he opened a huge gaping wound in my calf, then bit into the front of my leg exposing my femur...

My son arrived and tried to pull him off me...I was being mauled, my son was behind me and grabbed Buddy's back legs, I finally grabbed Buddy around the neck, put him in a head lock, held on for dear life and fell on Buddy. My son pulled Buddy out from behind. I got up, made it to the kitchen and by then my wife and daughter were there. My wife called 911.

Thank God I was not home alone..I would have been one of the CONTEXT I posted.

I know you love your pit bull. I PRAY nothing like this ever happens to you. But if God forbid your pit mauls one of your kids, you will never forgive yourself...
He won't maul any of my kids. Of course, I don't leave him alone with little kids. I don't know why your dog attacked you. I do know it wasn't because he might have had a smidge of PitBull in him.
I dont know the exact reason but if the dog warned him prior to attacking there was obviously some "leader of the pack" issues BigFern left unresolved or never noticed.

Leader of the pack?...funny how you right wing turds quote an illegal immigrant..
I'm a liberal. So this dog growled at you before attacking you?

Cesar says "pack leader". Leader of the pack is what anyone that knows anything about dogs knows. Obviously, you don't. You need a Yorkie or something. A powerful breed will smell pussy and walk all over you.

and, if I have to listen to them bark the entire time, I'm not interested in being there either.
If they are barking the entire time you are smart for leaving. The owner obviously doesnt know what they are doing. My dogs rarely if ever bark. If for some reason a visitor gives them a bad vibe I can tell by their stance. I just tell them its ok and they stop.

How did you train your dogs not to bark? My pit is pretty quiet except when there are loud noises (she was shot before we got her). Loud noises scare her, so we try to limit them if possible, and we keep her away from places where we know there will be loud noises. My hound dog, though, is a barker. I think it may have something to do with the breed, though. He is a black mouth cur shepherd mix. I've been told they are very vocal dogs.

If we tell him it is okay, he shuts up, but he barks at stuff outside the house...there are lots of dogs in our neighborhood.

If they are barking the entire time you are smart for leaving. The owner obviously doesnt know what they are doing. My dogs rarely if ever bark. If for some reason a visitor gives them a bad vibe I can tell by their stance. I just tell them its ok and they stop.

How did you train your dogs not to bark? My pit is pretty quiet except when there are loud noises (she was shot before we got her). Loud noises scare her, so we try to limit them if possible, and we keep her away from places where we know there will be loud noises. My hound dog, though, is a barker. I think it may have something to do with the breed, though. He is a black mouth cur shepherd mix. I've been told they are very vocal dogs.

If we tell him it is okay, he shuts up, but he barks at stuff outside the house...there are lots of dogs in our neighborhood.
I didnt actually train them not to bark. Every Pit I have ever had was just a quiet dog. I think a Pit that barks all the time is bored or has some genetic issues. Its understandable that loud noises set yours off though. Some clown actually shot him?

Yeah some hounds are notorious barkers. Good thing he listens to you.

Yeah, some asshole shot her and then the shelter got her and patched her up. Superficial wounds, but she still has the scars.

People are assholes. She is scared of guns, anything that looks like a gun, and any kind of loud noise, like a banging pot. She is also scared of other dogs, because another dog attacked her in the neighborhood a few years ago. She can be kind of aggressive with other dogs, as a result, so we always keep her on a sturdy leash. She has never been aggressive with us, or with any of the animals in our house. She seems to understand the difference between our family and other dogs.

In my experience, pits are very quiet dogs, compared to say beagles or something. And they are very human. Much more human than other dog breeds. Very intelligent dogs, good companion dogs.

Only a dummy would assume that. Labs bite people too. What is a classic Pitbull attack? This should be interesting. So he growled at you first and you consider that a classic Pitbull attack? :laugh:

Are you a retard?
No.

Dont deflect. Did the question throw you for a loop?

The threat from pit bulls results from the combination of the animals' inclination to attack without warning — an essential trait of fighting dogs — and the type of injuries that pit bulls typically inflict.

Most dogs bite and retreat, but pit bulls have a hold-and-shake bite style, and tenaciously refuse to stop an attack once begun.

Often a pit bull releases its grip only when dead — the trait dog fighters describe as being "dead game."

Ban opponents often blame dismembering and fatal attacks on environmental factors, such as neglect. That, unfortunately, is the plight of too many dogs of all breeds, not just those who kill and maim.

Opponents also fail to distinguish dog-bite-injury severity. They argue that bans "do not reduce all dog bites." Of the 4.7 million Americans bitten by dogs each year, 9,500 require hospitalization for severe dog-bite injuries. The most extreme injury level, mauling injury, requires life-saving procedures at trauma centers.

The purpose of a pit bull ban is to eradicate mauling injuries and deaths inflicted by pit bulls, the breed involved in more than half of all severe and mauling attacks.

Since 1986, 18 appellate decisions have upheld lower-court findings that pit bulls are more dangerous than other dog breeds.

Since 1988, four peer-reviewed studies published in leading medical journals have reviewed the severity of pit bull injury. "Mortality, Mauling and Maiming by Vicious Dogs," published in the Annals of Surgery in 2011, concluded the following:

"Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the U.S. mortality rates related to dog bites."
link

Q: Why do I always read about pit bulls in the news?
When a pit bull attacks, the injury inflicted may be catastrophic. First responders, such as police officers and firefighters, understand this as do members of the media, who are quick to report these attacks. Ongoing social tension also keeps pit bulls in the news. The pit bull problem is now over 30-years old.9 In this time, most lawmakers have been "too afraid" to take breed-specific action to correct the problem. Due to this failure, horrific maulings continue to make headlines.

About half of all media reports regarding pit bulls involve police officers shooting dangerous pit bulls in the line of duty.10 Since the late 1970's pit bulls have been used extensively in criminal operations for drug dealers, gang members and other violent offenders. The pit bull terrier is the breed of choice for criminals. This choice is directly linked to the pit bull's selectively bred traits of robust jaw strength, a deadly bite style, tenacity (gameness) and a high tolerance to pain.11

Q: Why do people say that pit bulls "don't let go?"
Through selective breeding, pit bulls have developed enormous jaw strength, as well as a ruinous "hold and shake" bite style, designed to inflict the maximum damage possible on their victims. This bite trait delivered winning results in the fighting pit. When the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the Denver pit bull ban in 2005, the high court set aside characteristics that pit bulls displayed when they attack that differ from all other dog breeds. One of these characteristics was their lethal bite:

"[pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues. Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks."12
Leading pit bull education websites, such as Pit Bull Rescue Central, encourage pit bull owners to be responsible and to always carry a "break stick" -- a tool used to pry open a pit bull's jaws -- in case their dog "accidentally" gets into a fight. These same websites also warn that using a break stick on any other dog breed may cause serious injury to the person.13 This is true because no other dog breed possesses the pit bull's tenacity combined with a "hold and shake" bite style.

One of the most powerful examples of a pit bull "not letting go" occurred in an Ohio courtroom. During the Toledo v. Tellings trial (Tellings was convicted of violating the City of Toledo's pit bull ordinance), Lucas County Dog Warden Tom Skeldon showed a videotape of a tranquilized pit bull hanging from a steel cable. The dog is essentially unconscious and still does not release its grip. At the time of the taping, the pit bull was being housed at the Lucas County Animal Shelter.14

Q: Do pit bulls bite more than other dogs?
Depending upon the community in which you live and the ratio of pit bulls within it, yes and no. But whether a pit bull bites more or less than another dog breed is not the point. The issue is the acute damage a pit bull inflicts when it does choose to bite. The pit bull's "hold and shake" bite style causes severe bone and muscle damage, often inflicting permanent and disfiguring injuries. Moreover, once a pit bull starts an attack, firearm intervention may be the only way to stop it.

When analyzing dog bite statistics, it is important to understand what constitutes a bite. A single bite -- recorded and used in dog bite statistics -- is a bite that "breaks the skin." One bite by a poodle that leaves two puncture wounds is recorded the same way as a pit bull mauling, which can constitute hundreds of puncture wounds and extensive soft tissue loss. Despite the "quagmire" of dog bite statistics, pit bulls are leading bite counts across U.S. cities and counties.15
link

Yeah, some asshole shot her and then the shelter got her and patched her up. Superficial wounds, but she still has the scars.

People are assholes. She is scared of guns, anything that looks like a gun, and any kind of loud noise, like a banging pot. She is also scared of other dogs, because another dog attacked her in the neighborhood a few years ago. She can be kind of aggressive with other dogs, as a result, so we always keep her on a sturdy leash. She has never been aggressive with us, or with any of the animals in our house. She seems to understand the difference between our family and other dogs.

In my experience, pits are very quiet dogs, compared to say beagles or something. And they are very human. Much more human than other dog breeds. Very intelligent dogs, good companion dogs.
How old is she? Thats not good she is afraid of anything that looks like a gun. Are you good with her body language?

Only a dummy would assume that. Labs bite people too. What is a classic Pitbull attack? This should be interesting. So he growled at you first and you consider that a classic Pitbull attack? :laugh:

Are you a retard?
No.

Dont deflect. Did the question throw you for a loop?

The threat from pit bulls results from the combination of the animals' inclination to attack without warning — an essential trait of fighting dogs — and the type of injuries that pit bulls typically inflict.

Most dogs bite and retreat, but pit bulls have a hold-and-shake bite style, and tenaciously refuse to stop an attack once begun.

Often a pit bull releases its grip only when dead — the trait dog fighters describe as being "dead game."

Ban opponents often blame dismembering and fatal attacks on environmental factors, such as neglect. That, unfortunately, is the plight of too many dogs of all breeds, not just those who kill and maim.

Opponents also fail to distinguish dog-bite-injury severity. They argue that bans "do not reduce all dog bites." Of the 4.7 million Americans bitten by dogs each year, 9,500 require hospitalization for severe dog-bite injuries. The most extreme injury level, mauling injury, requires life-saving procedures at trauma centers.

The purpose of a pit bull ban is to eradicate mauling injuries and deaths inflicted by pit bulls, the breed involved in more than half of all severe and mauling attacks.

Since 1986, 18 appellate decisions have upheld lower-court findings that pit bulls are more dangerous than other dog breeds.

Since 1988, four peer-reviewed studies published in leading medical journals have reviewed the severity of pit bull injury. "Mortality, Mauling and Maiming by Vicious Dogs," published in the Annals of Surgery in 2011, concluded the following:

"Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the U.S. mortality rates related to dog bites."
link

Q: Why do I always read about pit bulls in the news?
When a pit bull attacks, the injury inflicted may be catastrophic. First responders, such as police officers and firefighters, understand this as do members of the media, who are quick to report these attacks. Ongoing social tension also keeps pit bulls in the news. The pit bull problem is now over 30-years old.9 In this time, most lawmakers have been "too afraid" to take breed-specific action to correct the problem. Due to this failure, horrific maulings continue to make headlines.

About half of all media reports regarding pit bulls involve police officers shooting dangerous pit bulls in the line of duty.10 Since the late 1970's pit bulls have been used extensively in criminal operations for drug dealers, gang members and other violent offenders. The pit bull terrier is the breed of choice for criminals. This choice is directly linked to the pit bull's selectively bred traits of robust jaw strength, a deadly bite style, tenacity (gameness) and a high tolerance to pain.11

Q: Why do people say that pit bulls "don't let go?"
Through selective breeding, pit bulls have developed enormous jaw strength, as well as a ruinous "hold and shake" bite style, designed to inflict the maximum damage possible on their victims. This bite trait delivered winning results in the fighting pit. When the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the Denver pit bull ban in 2005, the high court set aside characteristics that pit bulls displayed when they attack that differ from all other dog breeds. One of these characteristics was their lethal bite:

"[pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues. Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks."12
Leading pit bull education websites, such as Pit Bull Rescue Central, encourage pit bull owners to be responsible and to always carry a "break stick" -- a tool used to pry open a pit bull's jaws -- in case their dog "accidentally" gets into a fight. These same websites also warn that using a break stick on any other dog breed may cause serious injury to the person.13 This is true because no other dog breed possesses the pit bull's tenacity combined with a "hold and shake" bite style.

One of the most powerful examples of a pit bull "not letting go" occurred in an Ohio courtroom. During the Toledo v. Tellings trial (Tellings was convicted of violating the City of Toledo's pit bull ordinance), Lucas County Dog Warden Tom Skeldon showed a videotape of a tranquilized pit bull hanging from a steel cable. The dog is essentially unconscious and still does not release its grip. At the time of the taping, the pit bull was being housed at the Lucas County Animal Shelter.14

Q: Do pit bulls bite more than other dogs?
Depending upon the community in which you live and the ratio of pit bulls within it, yes and no. But whether a pit bull bites more or less than another dog breed is not the point. The issue is the acute damage a pit bull inflicts when it does choose to bite. The pit bull's "hold and shake" bite style causes severe bone and muscle damage, often inflicting permanent and disfiguring injuries. Moreover, once a pit bull starts an attack, firearm intervention may be the only way to stop it.

When analyzing dog bite statistics, it is important to understand what constitutes a bite. A single bite -- recorded and used in dog bite statistics -- is a bite that "breaks the skin." One bite by a poodle that leaves two puncture wounds is recorded the same way as a pit bull mauling, which can constitute hundreds of puncture wounds and extensive soft tissue loss. Despite the "quagmire" of dog bite statistics, pit bulls are leading bite counts across U.S. cities and counties.15
link
Your own link says Pits attack without warning. Your dog gave you a warning. Not too classic was it?

Director of the Division of Craniofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery at Cincinnati Children's Talks 'Pit Bulls'
Dr. David A. Billmire, MD: "There is no need for Pit Bulls"

Doctor Speaks Out
Cincinnati, OH - After 6-year old Zainabou Drame suffered "unimaginable" injuries inflicted by two pit bulls last month, leaving some veteran police officers struggling to speak, Dr. David Billmire, MD, penned an editorial not many other doctors could. For 30-years Dr. Billmire has witnessed, examined and reconstructed the faces and body parts of children coming into Cincinnati Children's Hospital and Shriners Hospital for Children after devastating and life-threatening pit bull maulings.
space.gif
When I started my career, the most common dog-bite injuries were from German shepherds and occasionally retrievers. These injuries were almost always provoked, such as food-related or stepping on the dog, and in almost every instance, the dog reacted with a single snap and release – essentially a warning shot. There were no pack attacks.
space.gif
Starting about 25 years ago, my colleagues and I started to see disturbingly different types of injuries. Instead of a warning bite, we saw wounds where the flesh was torn from the victim. There were multiple bite wounds covering many different anatomical sites. The attacks were generally unprovoked, persistent and often involved more than one dog. In every instance the dog involved was a pit bull or a pit bull mix. - Dr. Billmire The pit bull problem erupted in the late 1970s and was in full swing by 1987, when Dr. Billmire began seeing these injuries. It was in 1987 that Ohio adopted a state pit bull law; dismantled by out-of-state animal lobbying groups in 2012. Cincinnati also repealed its longstanding pit bull ban in 2012. Zainabou now lies at Cincinnati Children's Hospital after one pit bull "grabbed her face and literally tore it off," according to her grandfather, and the other one "pulled her mouth off."

Dr. Billmire states that he recently gave a talk summarizing his 30-years of practice. One part of it, he noted, was titled, "Why I Hate Pit Bulls." Dr. Billmire states that he "watched a child bleed to death one night in our operating room because a pit bull had torn his throat out." And that he has had to "rebuild the skull of a child who had his ears and entire scalp torn off." Currently, Dr. Billmire is "reconstructing the face of a child, half of whose face has been torn off down to the bone."
space.gif
Based on my extensive experience, I believe that the risk posed by pit bulls is equivalent to placing a loaded gun with the safety off on the coffee table. In my opinion, these dogs should be banned. I know this is an unpopular stand in some circles, but how many mauled children do we have to see before we realize the folly of allowing these dogs to exist? ... There are plenty of breeds available that peacefully coexist with human society. There is no need for pit bulls. - Dr. Billmire There are over 175 recognized breeds by the AKC alone. We know why the drug trafficking owner of the two pit bulls that nearly killed Zainabou chose that breed, along with many other deviant types who flock toward pit bulls. We know why dogfighters choose pit bulls too. For the rest of the owners of these dogs, such as rescue "angels" and breed-enthusiasts, we only know one thing: They choose a dog breed that kills more human beings than all other dog breeds combined.

Some of these owners pay with their own lives as well, not to mention their children's lives.

Safety Before Pit Bulldogs

Dr. Billmire is not alone in his assessment. The Safety Before Pit Bulldogs blog maintains a collection of quotes by medical professional experts who treat victims of pit bulls. The list is long readers. Some point to medical studies and others point to news articles and editorials like Dr. Billmire's letter. We thank all of them so much for their continued research and for those who come forward in the wake of a horrifying attack to combat the pit bull propaganda machine response.
link

Your own link says Pits attack without warning. Your dog gave you a warning. Not too classic was it?

Stick the snarky stuff up your ignorant cretin ass...

Buddy was not "provoked"...when I walked away from him he was sitting (by my command)...

Stick the snarky stuff up your ignorant cretin ass...

Buddy was not "provoked"...when I walked away from him he was sitting (by my command)...
Did I say you provoked him? Your deflections could use some work. Obviously you arent good at them.

Your dog growled at you. You should have addressed that immediately instead of bending down to pick up the leash and putting yourself at essentially his level. The fact that the dog growled at you in the first place means you didnt notice the many warning signs that appeared long before this incident.

Cesar says "pack leader". Leader of the pack is what anyone that knows anything about dogs knows. Obviously, you don't. You need a Yorkie or something. A powerful breed will smell pussy and walk all over you.

Yea, it's MY fault...you folks are the lowest life form on this planet...

Your dog growled at you. You should have addressed that immediately instead of bending down to pick up the leash and putting yourself at essentially his level. The fact that the dog growled at you in the first place means you didnt notice the many warning signs that appeared long before this incident.

Listen Sherlock...I was there. When Buddy came at me, I did "address it immediately"...I stood up, turned toward Buddy and I gave Buddy a stop sign hand signal and calmly said "it's OK Buddy"...he was sitting and not growling when I walked away.

Yea, it's MY fault...you folks are the lowest life form on this planet...
You are the adult human. Of course its your fault. You missed some warning signs along the way.

Listen Sherlock...I was there. When Buddy came at me, I did "address it immediately"...I stood up, turned toward Buddy and I gave Buddy a stop sign hand signal and calmly said "it's OK Buddy"...he was sitting and not growling when I walked away.
Why did you walk away instead of addressing the issue? You should have made him lay down. Thats the ultimate position of submissiveness. What would the leader of a wolf pack do to another wolf that challenged him?

Why did you walk away instead of addressing the issue? You should have made him lay down. Thats the ultimate position of submissiveness.

What would you have done Cesar Millan? Try to commit suicide again?

Why did you walk away instead of addressing the issue? You should have made him lay down. Thats the ultimate position of submissiveness.

What would you have done Cesar Millan? Try to commit suicide again?
I just told you what I would have done. However, you messed up long ago so it doesnt really matter what I would have done. It would have never gotten to this situation.

Forum List

Back