Pitbulls...

The 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds

No surprises but - there it is.

Actually...the surprise is in the lack of critical thinking.
Pit Bull – To anyone who knows dogs, the American Pit Bull Terrier is no surprise at #1 on a list of deadliest dogs. In this study the Pit Bull stood far ahead of all the other breeds with 66 fatalities attributed to it. Known for their extremely aggressive nature, many states have legislation banning the breeding of pit bulls

66 fatalities.

Out of an estimated 55 million dogs in the US, Pits makes up maybe 9% of the total canine population and as much as 30 to 40% in some regions.

That's a shitload of Pits and only 66 fatalities? This is a VERY RARE event.

"Known for their aggressive nature"? WTF? If the fatality rate is so low, how aggressive is their nature?

You could go further and extrapolate dog attacks and bites as a whole in which case the numbers would be marginally larger. However - there would still be a caveat. Most dog bites by small dogs go unreported (so those aggressive buggers get a free pass in statistics) - bites by large dogs do more damage so get reported more.

But in the end you are looking at a lot of pits who do nothing more than munch dog chow, sleep on the couch and go out to poop.

Exactly. Some pits attack, but the vast majority of them are harmless and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Pit Bull – To anyone who knows dogs, the American Pit Bull Terrier is no surprise at #1 on a list of deadliest dogs. In this study the Pit Bull stood far ahead of all the other breeds with 66 fatalities attributed to it. Known for their extremely aggressive nature, many states have legislation banning the breeding of pit bulls

66 fatalities.

Out of an estimated 55 million dogs in the US, Pits makes up maybe 9% of the total canine population and as much as 30 to 40% in some regions.

"Known for their aggressive nature"? WTF? If the fatality rate is so low, how aggressive is their nature?

You could go further and extrapolate dog attacks and bites as a whole in which case the numbers would be marginally larger. However - there would still be a caveat. Most dog bites by small dogs go unreported (so those aggressive buggers get a free pass in statistics) - bites by large dogs do more damage so get reported more.

But in the end you are looking at a lot of pits who do nothing more than munch dog chow, sleep on the couch and go out to poop.

Exactly. Some pits attack, but the vast majority of them are harmless and wouldn't hurt a fly.

The thing with events like dog fatalities is they are very rare period, but they get blown way out of proportion. I believe you are more likely to die by car than by dog.

66 fatalities.

The thing with events like dog fatalities is they are very rare period, but they get blown way out of proportion. I believe you are more likely to die by car than by dog.

Someone gets hit and killed a car, its lucky to get a byline on page 5. Someone gets bitten by a pitbull, its front page news and everyone demands pits be banned.

66 fatalities.

Actually, the site stated very clearly what they were basing their numbers on so the bites of small dogs would have no place in that article.

If you have read my posts in this thread, you know that I am mostly in agreement with your very shallow assessment. Further, you already know that I have said I would ban the owners before I would ban the breed.

However, if you're the one whose arms are torn off, I doubt any of that would matter much.

66 fatalities.

And the witnesses identifying the dog as a pit bull are suspect as well. Plenty of the attacks are committed by other breeds and are misidentified.

66 fatalities.

And the witnesses identifying the dog as a pit bull are suspect as well. Plenty of the attacks are committed by other breeds and are misidentified.

Most people couldn't even pick out a pitbull from a lineup.

I know pits. I thought gracie had pit in her when she was a pup but as she grew, her face lengthened, jaws not so prominent. I got it on the second try.

If a yappy dog came up to me when Cooper was out for his walk, and I couldn't restrain him (likely because he's extremely strong) he'd devour that little dog in seconds.

If you can't control your dog you shouldn't have it.

Pit bull hailed as hero after protecting owner from home invasion | CTV News

More likely than not..this is what Pits..and most dogs actually do.

A pit bull is being hailed as a hero by police after the dog saved its owner’s life during an attack at an Edmonton home on Tuesday.

Four-year-old pit bull Mercy jumped into action after a group of three men and a teenaged boy pushed their way into the apartment of a 30-year-old female victim.

Mercy jumped to protect her owner after the men allegedly became violent.

A pitbull is being credited with saving her owner's life during a violent home invasion.

The dog suffered from life-threatening injuries after she was attacked with what police describe as a machete

Read more: Pit bull hailed as hero after protecting owner from home invasion | CTV News

For a while I had a group of old nosey men congregating on the street across from my house. There were up to 5 of them, often with dogs. They'd hang out across from my driveway, and the dogs in my house would go NUTS. I found out this was happening by coming home at odd times during the day, incidentally. Anyway, they'd all hang out there with their little dogs and their idling vehicles, and glare up at my house when the dogs would bark.

I took to coming home, bringing the pit out very lightly restrained on his leash, putting him into the car, then backing out. He of course went ballistic in the car when I did this...slavering and snarling and barking at them (I left the window open about 2 inches to allow them the full impact). What assholes! They can go congregate in front of their own houses, why of ALL the places to hang out, they felt compelled to hang out THERE, I'm sure I don't know.

But after doing that a few times, they finally broke it up. Mylo got out once and ran over the dachsund..she didn't even bite the little shit (who would walk back and forth in front of the house with its owner yap-yap-yapping) but I still got to pay for a vet visit and..get this...ANTI-ANXIETY meds for the little fucker.

Little fuckin' yappy dogs are the worst. And pits get a bad rap (mainly media bias) for some reason, yet the little mongrel dogs who nip at your heels and are basically vicious fuckers, get a free pass.

If a yappy dog came up to me when Cooper was out for his walk, and I couldn't restrain him (likely because he's extremely strong) he'd devour that little dog in seconds.

You should be banned from owning anything that you cannot control that can do harm/ or kill others.

That's just pathetic.

That's just the facts of life. If any of my sons ever turn liberal I would disinherit them

No matter how often I read this kind of rw shit, I'm still shocked at how utterly inhuman some of you are.

If you're really that callous and uncaring of your own child why did you have him? Does he know how little you care about him?

I suppose if he were gay or transgender, you'd just kill him.

Don't answer. I really don't want to know.

FUCK YOU GOD DAMN LIBERALS.:eusa_boohoo:

For a while I had a group of old nosey men congregating on the street across from my house. There were up to 5 of them, often with dogs. They'd hang out across from my driveway, and the dogs in my house would go NUTS. I found out this was happening by coming home at odd times during the day, incidentally. Anyway, they'd all hang out there with their little dogs and their idling vehicles, and glare up at my house when the dogs would bark.

I took to coming home, bringing the pit out very lightly restrained on his leash, putting him into the car, then backing out. He of course went ballistic in the car when I did this...slavering and snarling and barking at them (I left the window open about 2 inches to allow them the full impact). What assholes! They can go congregate in front of their own houses, why of ALL the places to hang out, they felt compelled to hang out THERE, I'm sure I don't know.

But after doing that a few times, they finally broke it up. Mylo got out once and ran over the dachsund..she didn't even bite the little shit (who would walk back and forth in front of the house with its owner yap-yap-yapping) but I still got to pay for a vet visit and..get this...ANTI-ANXIETY meds for the little fucker.

Little fuckin' yappy dogs are the worst. And pits get a bad rap (mainly media bias) for some reason, yet the little mongrel dogs who nip at your heels and are basically vicious fuckers, get a free pass.

You should be banned from owning anything that you cannot control that can do harm/ or kill others.

If a little yappy dog starts annoying my dog, my dog has the right to attack it.

If a little yappy dog starts annoying my dog, my dog has the right to attack it.
If you can't handle your dog it could kill a human, I'm not concerned with the yappy dog.

My big male "Dre" preasures me for butt scratches. He just made a pass a few seconds ago. I find it annoying when I'm on the puter and he goes head first under the puter table and positions his big butt right up against my legs and just waits there until I scratch his butt for a few minutes. Dre can be VERY persistant.

Sometimes "Angel, the female, will get up on the bed and lick me on the face and in my ears. She is very forceful and won't stop until she is sure that my face and ears are clean enough for her satisfaction. Then ... she will nose around in the comforters until I cover her up and only then will she curl up and go to sleep next to my head. THEN Dre will jump up on the bed and lie down next to me sometimes pushing me right to the very edge of the bed. He doesn't want any blankets on him so he lies down on mine making it difficult to adjust the bedding to suit my own needs. I tell ya...200 pounds of pitbulls can be very intimidating on one bed. Ya try to scoot em over so ya can have more room and it is like they are dead. Ya might get a groan out of em but they seem to have this extra ability to hold thier ground when sleeping or "pretending" to sleep when a guy just wants a little space to stretch out sometimes.

In my experience pitbulls can be extremely selfish in taking up space on my bed. They do allow you SOME room but just barely enough so you don't fall off of the bed.

Sometimes though they will hear something outside in the middle of the night and both jump up out of thier dead sleep and when they do I go flying off of the bed from them pushing off to get off the bed and to the door. I get little warning...just a woof and a growl and I land on my ass on the floor. I'm not little either...6' 225 lbs.

Pitbulls are not only capable of vicious attacks... they are capable of carelessness and being bed hogs.

True story.

If you can't handle your dog it could kill a human, I'm not concerned with the yappy dog.

There is no point having gaurd dogs that are not capable of taking on a human being intent on doing you harm.

My dogs are outside right this second fending off the property I watch yelling at some prostitutes and drug dealers. This goes on almost every night from around 10 PM till 4 in the morning. Happens probably a dozen times on average.

OK gotta go out and see what the comotion is all about again... I'll catch up on my Z's in the afternoon as usual.

Forum List

Back