Pizza Hut manager loses his job over refusing to open for Thanksgiving

happy thanksgiving and happy hanukkah...which is the last time these two holidays will fall at the same time in our lifetimes....a bit of trivia there

fdr? messageboards or working thanksgiving jon?

fdr?

yes

FDR Changes It

For 75 years after Lincoln issued his Thanksgiving Proclamation, succeeding presidents honored the tradition and annually issued their own Thanksgiving Proclamation, declaring the last Thursday in November as the day of Thanksgiving. However, in 1939, President Franklin D. Roosevelt did not. In 1939, the last Thursday of November was going to be November 30. Retailers complained to FDR that this only left 24 shopping days to Christmas and begged him to push Thanksgiving just one week earlier. It was determined that most people do their Christmas shopping after Thanksgiving and retailers hoped that with an extra week of shopping, people would buy more.

So when FDR announced his Thanksgiving Proclamation in 1939, he declared the date of Thanksgiving to be Thursday, November 23, the second-to-last Thursday of the month.

History of Thanksgiving - How Franklin D. Roosevelt Changed the Date

O thanks.....

people are complaining about how close the holidays are to each other this year too.....christmas tree growers are really seeing a short season....but they started shipping in oct....

people are complaining about how close the holidays are to each other this year too.....christmas tree growers are really seeing a short season....but they started shipping in oct....

yeah in a few years the Christmas displays

will be going up right after fireworks on the 4th of July

--LOL

Pizza hut offered Tony Rohr his job back..

We fully respect an employee's right to not work on a holiday, which is why the vast majority of Pizza Huts in America are closed on Thanksgiving," the corporate office said in a statement. "As a result, we strongly recommended that the local franchisee reinstate the store manager and they have agreed. We look forward to them welcoming Tony back to the team."
Pizza Hut manager offered job back after Thanksgiving disagreement - CNN.com

Score one for the little guy.

and he should have lost his job...funny how in these times...a manager is saying he wants to have employees have the day off when most people are begging for extra hours or more hours as the holidays approach...thanksgiving has been lost in the rush towards christmas....

i go back to work today...yes on thanksgiving..when one works at a ski slope ....one does not have winter holidays...i will take the solstice off and work christmas day so someone with small kids can have that day off...but we are told right up front.....you work holidays.....i am sure the pizza hut people were told the same...

now here is my question.....getting big and bad and boycotting pizza hut....yall gonna boycott all the places that are open today? hell no...everyone gets all mouthy on a messageboard and then goes right on in real life...as if nothing happened

I can eat enough pizza that will make Boopers lose look like pennies :lol:

Pizza hut offered Tony Rohr his job back..

We fully respect an employee's right to not work on a holiday, which is why the vast majority of Pizza Huts in America are closed on Thanksgiving," the corporate office said in a statement. "As a result, we strongly recommended that the local franchisee reinstate the store manager and they have agreed. We look forward to them welcoming Tony back to the team."
Pizza Hut manager offered job back after Thanksgiving disagreement - CNN.com

Score one for the little guy.

Seems to me the big guy went after the little guy to get the other little guys job back.

Man says he was fired for refusing to work Thanksgiving | Local - Home

He was told opening on Thanksgiving this year was mandatory, so at a meeting with his superiors he decided to take a stand.

"I said, 'Why can't we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees and they can have the day off?'"

Tony says it wasn't about him. It was about his employees.

He told his bosses that he would not open the restaurant he managed on Thanksgiving.

"Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only two days that they're closed in the whole year and they're the only two days that those people are guaranteed to have off and spend it with their families," Rohr says.

Rohr says he was told to sign a letter of resignation.

He refused.. instead he wrote a letter explaining his position to his boss.

In the letter he wrote, "I am not quitting. I do not resign, however I accept that the refusal to comply with this greedy, immoral request means the end of my tenure with this company." He added, "I hope you realize that it is the people at the bottom of the totem pole that make your life possible."

Another chain I will no longer be doing business with, and I will be explaining why.

why not work on Thanksgiving

FDR changed it from a day to give thanks

to a day to start the kickoff of Christmas shopping

making it the fourth Thursday of the month

gave shoppers extra time to shop

The left, which has no morals, never ceases dictating morals to others. What a joke they are! :lol:

I thought about going out today, but it's just too cold. Think I'll just eat some of my frozen chicken and dressing.

I remember when I was young nothing was open on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Easter, 4th of July and other holidays. Seems like we all survived their being closed just fine. I guess spending the day with your family and reflecting on the actual holiday isn't important these days as is the all-mighty dollar.

Forum List

Back