Pizza Hut manager loses his job over refusing to open for Thanksgiving

people are complaining about how close the holidays are to each other this year too.....christmas tree growers are really seeing a short season....but they started shipping in oct....

This will continue until 2015 when Thanks giving is on the 26th..In 2016, a leap year, the Holiday is on the 24th

Doesn't matter. We all got angry, people took action, man's got his job back.

Our work here is done. :thup:

What I love about it is that Head Office freaked out and kicked the franchisees asses all over the place AND let it be known that they did so.

They made no bones about the fact that the franchisees were in deep shit with HO over this.

YAY!

Pizza hut offered Tony Rohr his job back..

We fully respect an employee's right to not work on a holiday, which is why the vast majority of Pizza Huts in America are closed on Thanksgiving," the corporate office said in a statement. "As a result, we strongly recommended that the local franchisee reinstate the store manager and they have agreed. We look forward to them welcoming Tony back to the team."
Pizza Hut manager offered job back after Thanksgiving disagreement - CNN.com

Score one for the little guy.
The Corporation officers obviously saw more bad publicity than this was worth and 'recommended' the franchisee hire the man back....
I think the Company higher up's may very well have read the franchise owner the riot act.
Good for them. The guy took a stand against an owner who has very little in the way of people skills.
I have no idea what a person like that( the franchisee) uses to make them tick.
Obviously they have no idea that very few people are going to say "Hey it's Thanksgiving! Instead of turkey, I have an idea...Let's go to Pizza Hut"..
Somehow this scenario seems unlikely.

I look at this in this manner...
If a store or restaurant is to be open on a holiday then that it fine with me under one condition...That ALL management staff be required to work FULL shifts as though it were a regular day.
I am in management. There is nothing I expect the people whom I supervise to do that I would not do myself. Or have done in the past.
If they have to work on a holiday, so do I....
Unfortunately in many instances it does not work that way. The boss tells his people to go to work while he or she sits home with their feet on the coffee table or goes out and enjoys themselves. Horseshit.

Back about 15 years ago when I was single, my buddy and his wife had invited me and some other guys to their home for Thanksgiving dinner. Problem was I still had to eat lunch beforehand. I drove around for well over 2 hours before I finally found a Burger King that was open (it was located at the corner of East Bell Road and N. 7th street in Phoenix).

I fully understand that folks who work in restaurants should be permitted to spend Thanksgiving with their families and friends (like I did today). However, those managers who have employees with no plans on Thanksgiving, and would like to work, may decide to keep the place open. This would help considerably for anyone who has no food in their home, and needs to find a restaurant to eat at on Thanksgiving.

Man says he was fired for refusing to work Thanksgiving | Local - Home

He was told opening on Thanksgiving this year was mandatory, so at a meeting with his superiors he decided to take a stand.

"I said, 'Why can't we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees and they can have the day off?'"

Tony says it wasn't about him. It was about his employees.

He told his bosses that he would not open the restaurant he managed on Thanksgiving.

"Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only two days that they're closed in the whole year and they're the only two days that those people are guaranteed to have off and spend it with their families," Rohr says.

Rohr says he was told to sign a letter of resignation.

He refused.. instead he wrote a letter explaining his position to his boss.

In the letter he wrote, "I am not quitting. I do not resign, however I accept that the refusal to comply with this greedy, immoral request means the end of my tenure with this company." He added, "I hope you realize that it is the people at the bottom of the totem pole that make your life possible."

Another chain I will no longer be doing business with, and I will be explaining why.
I bought a pizza at Pizza Hut once. It was terrible. I'm surprised that chain is still in business.

Man says he was fired for refusing to work Thanksgiving | Local - Home

He was told opening on Thanksgiving this year was mandatory, so at a meeting with his superiors he decided to take a stand.

"I said, 'Why can't we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees and they can have the day off?'"

Tony says it wasn't about him. It was about his employees.

He told his bosses that he would not open the restaurant he managed on Thanksgiving.

"Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only two days that they're closed in the whole year and they're the only two days that those people are guaranteed to have off and spend it with their families," Rohr says.

Rohr says he was told to sign a letter of resignation.

He refused.. instead he wrote a letter explaining his position to his boss.

In the letter he wrote, "I am not quitting. I do not resign, however I accept that the refusal to comply with this greedy, immoral request means the end of my tenure with this company." He added, "I hope you realize that it is the people at the bottom of the totem pole that make your life possible."

Another chain I will no longer be doing business with, and I will be explaining why.
I bought a pizza at Pizza Hut once. It was terrible. I'm surprised that chain is still in business.

I've had good and bad from Pizza Hut. I know they're all the same ingredients brought in by truck, but apparently it is possible to make silk out of a sow's ear, on that front.

Man it was slow as crap yesterday. Everyone managed to put away their capitalism sucks soapboxes long enough to hit the stores lol.

Seems to me the big guy went after the little guy to get the other little guys job back.

I knew this wasn't coming from any corporate office. The franchise owner is probably an immigrant who does not recognize Thanksgiving as a holiday at all.

"Immigrant"?

Did you watch the video? Nooooo.

What's with that accent? Might be an immigrant from, say, Ohio...

The video was of the store manager who quit. Who owns the franchise? What happened was the franchise owner decided to stay open. Pizza Hut CORPORATE contacted the franchise owner and told them to close. The manager was offered his job back ONLY because the corporate office stepped it.

I've had my own business. I made the decisions on when to open and when to close. The employees never made that decision. Nor should they. The franchise owner should get rid of this man as soon as they can. If they wish to close on Thanksgiving in the future, the franchise owner can make that decision but in no way can that owner tolerate having the employee substitute his judgment for the judgment of the owner.

I knew this wasn't coming from any corporate office. The franchise owner is probably an immigrant who does not recognize Thanksgiving as a holiday at all.

"Immigrant"?

The video was of the store manager who quit. Who owns the franchise? What happened was the franchise owner decided to stay open. Pizza Hut CORPORATE contacted the franchise owner and told them to close. The manager was offered his job back ONLY because the corporate office stepped it.

I've had my own business. I made the decisions on when to open and when to close. The employees never made that decision. Nor should they. The franchise owner should get rid of this man as soon as they can. If they wish to close on Thanksgiving in the future, the franchise owner can make that decision but in no way can that owner tolerate having the employee substitute his judgment for the judgment of the owner.

i was wondering did the place stay open without they guy

did the other three pizza huts in that town stay open

as well

"Immigrant"?

as well

According to the corporate office, all the other Pizza Huts were closed. Which is an ideal time to open! There are many ways to operate a store without the manager. You promote someone to manager, or come in until you get a new manager yourself. In any event THIS manager needs to go.

as well

According to the corporate office, all the other Pizza Huts were closed. Which is an ideal time to open! There are many ways to operate a store without the manager. You promote someone to manager, or come in until you get a new manager yourself. In any event THIS manager needs to go.

Ever actually been to a Pizza Hut? It's not exactly a destination you cruise around looking for if you know what I mean. It's more like a last resort.

as well

Ever actually been to a Pizza Hut? It's not exactly a destination you cruise around looking for if you know what I mean. It's more like a last resort.

Pizza hut first choice. anything else is last resort.

If this franchise owner has any intelligence at all, they will wai a period of time, then get rid of him.

It's not clear that the manager will be returning to work. In the linked article it said he was weighing his options. He probably understands as well as the franchisee does how bad that working environment could be for him now.

Forum List

Back