Plastic bag ban, don't let this insanity happen to you

I lived in California for 7 or so years, up until about a month and a half ago. The "bag ban" never really bothered me - the paper bags were better for cleaning the cat's litter box, and I didn't mind the 10 cents.

I've been back on the east coast for a month and a half, and now I'm dumbfounded by people trying to bag everything I buy, at every store.

I don't need a bag for a pack of cigarettes, or a can of soda.
how much of an effect does this take on a business? I know bags are cheap but it does add up.
So I guess my question is "Does forcing business to do this outweigh the effect on the environment"

The stores had to charge ten cents a bag. They weren't paying anything close to that buying the bags. It was a net positive for them.

Apparently they might have changed the law recently (in the last month or so), but that's the way it's been for the last 5 years or so, since the "ban" came into effect.

Liberal cities want to control everything that people do, down to the size of your soda and the bags you take groceries home in. I get the tax on plastic bags. Other then the pettiness of it, there's little reason to object to it. Compare to the building code for a home, thousands of regulations and almost never an objection to them, because nearly none of the compel you to do anything you find morally objectionable or overly burdensome.

I don't "bag" my groceries in the store. I bag them at the car.

I made my own hippie bags from pillow covers for a sofa. You know, those throw pillows? Just add decorative rope and badda bing...instant bag. And I don't mind using them OR packing them myself. California tries very hard to help the environment.

Don't care for the LED either. Its called personal choice and preference for certain light.
If you feel smarter for your choice, good for you.

The thing is, LEDs are massively better than incandescents, and frankly, you're being irrational. If your irrationality only hurt you, that would be one thing. But, in theory, all the welfare recipients changing to LEDs saves the taxpayers tons of money, because their cost of living has dropped.

Millions of people switching to LEDs reduces air pollution and the other benefits of lower power generation.

Most people aren't rich, and buying incandescents cuts into their ability to care for their family, even if so marginally so.

Personal choice? If there was even just one tiny moral or practical reason to use incandescents, I'd agree with you. But, your only real reason is you're stubborn. You just want to use what you've used your whole life. You were talking about your garage. What's wrong? The color profile of the LED doesn't make your oil stains look nice? LED bulbs have gotten to the point where the color output is practically indistinguishable form incandescent.

Plastic bags are a convenience, but incandescent bulbs are not a convenience (in fact, LEDs are relatively very inconvenient). Banning/taxing plastic bags, on the other hand, does cause people some bother, even if small.

I lived in California for 7 or so years, up until about a month and a half ago. The "bag ban" never really bothered me - the paper bags were better for cleaning the cat's litter box, and I didn't mind the 10 cents.

I've been back on the east coast for a month and a half, and now I'm dumbfounded by people trying to bag everything I buy, at every store.

I don't need a bag for a pack of cigarettes, or a can of soda.
how much of an effect does this take on a business? I know bags are cheap but it does add up.
So I guess my question is "Does forcing business to do this outweigh the effect on the environment"

The stores had to charge ten cents a bag. They weren't paying anything close to that buying the bags. It was a net positive for them.

Apparently they might have changed the law recently (in the last month or so), but that's the way it's been for the last 5 years or so, since the "ban" came into effect.
The grocery chains obviously lobbied to get the 10 cent charge added to the bill, so they don't get off the hook.

This has been going on all over Europe for years. Doesn't seem to bother them or cause problems. You either recycle your bags or pay a dime for the new ones. People in America toss their pennies, nickels, and dimes into the donation jar or whatever that thing is you toss your change into if you don't want a pocket full of change.

This has been going on all over Europe for years. Doesn't seem to bother them or cause problems. You either recycle your bags or pay a dime for the new ones. People in America toss their pennies, nickels, and dimes into the donation jar or whatever that thing is you toss your change into if you don't want a pocket full of change.
We understand that all you douche bag snowflakes will claim it's not a problem. The reality is that it's a huge inconvenience, and it's counter productive. It doesn't help the environment. People use those plastic bags for other purposes, like lining the smaller waste bins in their bathrooms and home offices. People then have to buy plastic bags especially made for the purpose. Paper bags are worse environmentally than plastic bags.

Such laws are the ultimate stupidity. No wonder snowflakes support them.

Here is something to note. The paper bags sometimes come with insects hiding in them, particularly cockroaches. The cloth bags get contaminated from groceries, particularly meats, vegetables, and fruits. That means they need to be washed. Plastic is the most sterile and so, well worth the dimes.

We understand that all you douche bag snowflakes will claim it's not a problem. The reality is that it's a huge inconvenience, and it's counter productive. It doesn't help the environment. People use those plastic bags for other purposes, like lining the smaller waste bins in their bathrooms and home offices. People then have to buy plastic bags especially made for the purpose. Paper bags are worse environmentally than plastic bags.

You are just a lazy person who looks for things to whine and complain about. Learn how to be a responsible man or even just an ordinary man.

You are just a lazy person who looks for things to whine and complain about. Learn how to be a responsible man or even just an ordinary man.

I don't look for things to complain about. I simply note that all the shit dumbasses like you impose on us makes life less pleasant for everyone.

Here is something to note. The paper bags sometimes come with insects hiding in them, particularly cockroaches. The cloth bags get contaminated from groceries, particularly meats, vegetables, and fruits. That means they need to be washed. Plastic is the most sterile and so, well worth the dimes.

But it's not a royal pain in the ass? Where I live, we don't have to wash or disinfect our grocery bags.

But it's not a royal pain in the ass? Where I live, we don't have to wash or disinfect our grocery bags.
If they are cloth bags you do moron. I don't know about the disinfecting part, but a trip for them to the washing machine is in order. Maybe a splash of bleach is all the disinfecting needed.

California "banned" plastic bags.

The businesses were all onboard, because all it meant for them is they charge 10 cents per bag, now.

It was all well and good, until a couple years later California passed another law that said , "send that bag money up to us for taxes"

At first, people tried to do what they were supposed to, they bought reusable bags and brought them to the store.

Now, the checkers scan the crap, and just stand there. You bring your own bag, now they want YOU to bag it. It was worth the 10 cents to put their ass back to work.

You buy bags at the store and they ask you "How many bags you want?"..."i don't fkn know"

The latest chapter is, you buy a plastic bag and they throw it with all the other crap you bought, and expect YOU to bag it yourself. They're trying to eliminate the bag-boy jobs.

------------------------

Last week I go to the store, and I swear, some woman walked out with a 2' x 2' x 3' plastic bin with all her sht in it.

I go into the store, buy a bunch of stuff, the girl at the counter tells me "sorry we don't have ANY bags today"

I said "Well, it looks like i'm walking out with your handcart then"

(I should have stole it)

...and the funny part, California's "plastic bag ban" means plastic bags are 10 cents each.

I can't tell you how much I miss going to the store with no bag issues
California can do what they want, as insane as they are. That's why we have the electoral college crazies like them at bay

If they are cloth bags you do moron. I don't know about the disinfecting part, but a trip for them to the washing machine is in order. Maybe a splash of bleach is all the disinfecting needed.
That's the point, moron: the grocery stores have plastic bags that we can just throw away or use to line our waste bins. Our city doesn't use force to make our lives inconvenient for some feel good legislation that does nothing to achieve the claimed goal.

California "banned" plastic bags.

The businesses were all onboard, because all it meant for them is they charge 10 cents per bag, now.

It was all well and good, until a couple years later California passed another law that said , "send that bag money up to us for taxes"

At first, people tried to do what they were supposed to, they bought reusable bags and brought them to the store.

Now, the checkers scan the crap, and just stand there. You bring your own bag, now they want YOU to bag it. It was worth the 10 cents to put their ass back to work.

You buy bags at the store and they ask you "How many bags you want?"..."i don't fkn know"

The latest chapter is, you buy a plastic bag and they throw it with all the other crap you bought, and expect YOU to bag it yourself. They're trying to eliminate the bag-boy jobs.

------------------------

Last week I go to the store, and I swear, some woman walked out with a 2' x 2' x 3' plastic bin with all her sht in it.

I go into the store, buy a bunch of stuff, the girl at the counter tells me "sorry we don't have ANY bags today"

I said "Well, it looks like i'm walking out with your handcart then"

(I should have stole it)

...and the funny part, California's "plastic bag ban" means plastic bags are 10 cents each.

I can't tell you how much I miss going to the store with no bag issues

I refuse to use kiosk and self check outs for similar reasons. They want you to be the check out person and the bag boy with no discount. I'd apply for a job before I work for them for nothing.

Forum List

Back